Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, really wanted Prinny Presentes Vol 2- that was the game I had saved for a sale last night but it's sold out already. 

I went with Kirby Forgotten Lands, Stranger of Paradise and Switch Sports. 

I doubt they will, but I know with FF13 on 360 back compat they actually went back and replaced the compressed cutscenes with higher quality ones. It would be so cool to have the cutscenes added back to P3P, but I guess it may not always make sense if you're playing as FeMC.

Still, awesome. Love an excuse to revisit P3

I think the P3P side of the announcement will make more sense once it gets announced for nsw.  I don't think this release is catering to those of us who have been asking for a p3 remake/remaster.

Nvidia and Sony the top leaker
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1536521962729549824?t=qXtPs71PgYVeTP0AqfM8lQ&s=19

Square might not even have one, they seem content with making their new announcements at other shows(mainly Sony) this year. Although if Tactics Ogre is also on Switch I could see it officially be announced for a Direct, Nintendo seems to get most of the remaster announcements.

P3P and P4G will come to PS4
bc70f97806643e906e8e47f4bc0d25e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

If there are any cheapass Yu-Gi-Oh nerds, Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution (the expanded version with all the DLC) is on sale on PC. $10 on Steam, £6.99 on GamesPlanet UK (about $8.44 at the time of posting), and €7.99 on GamesPlanet FR or GamesPlanet DE (about $8.30) if you can read enough French or German to get through checkout. The previous PC low was $13.49.

GamesPlanet, as you can probably tell, is a Euro-focused online store. They sell Steam keys, and everything's entirely above board, no worries about grey market keys. Games purchased in one regional branch of the site won't show up in your games list on any of the other regional branches, but they'll tell you you have (X) games in other regions and give a link to the appropriate page, so it can get very slightly confusing if you purchase from multiple regions and don't just activate everything immediately.

If there are any cheapass Yu-Gi-Oh nerds, Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution (the expanded version with all the DLC) is on sale on PC. $10 on Steam, £6.99 on GamesPlanet UK (about $8.44 at the time of posting), and €7.99 on GamesPlanet FR or GamesPlanet DE (about $8.30) if you can read enough French or German to get through checkout. The previous PC low was $13.49.

GamesPlanet, as you can probably tell, is a Euro-focused online store. They sell Steam keys, and everything's entirely above board, no worries about grey market keys. Games purchased in one regional branch of the site won't show up in your games list on any of the other regional branches, but they'll tell you you have (X) games in other regions and give a link to the appropriate page, so it can get very slightly confusing if you purchase from multiple regions and don't just activate everything immediately.
If I buy from the US will there be a conversion fee buying from them if US cards even work on their sites?

If I buy from the US will there be a conversion fee buying from them if US cards even work on their sites?
Depends on your card, try looking up if your card has a foreign transaction fee.

It looks like they accept PayPal - PayPal will usually default to giving you the option of paying in USD and they handle the conversion, but the conversion rate won't be quite as good as selecting currency options during PayPal checkout and telling it to just pay in the original currency in my experience.

I always use PayPal, so I couldn’t tell you how using cards directly works, but they charge region-appropriate currency, so I assume it depends on your card—some have conversion fees, some don’t.

Pretty sure PayPal does not have conversion fees regardless of what card you use, though.

I had no idea they were still making Yu-Gi-Oh games.

During peak COVID lockdowns, I got bored and randomly decided to go for the full NA physical games released with cards thinking there were only like a 5 games because I'm a sucker for games with physical bonuses. And then it just felt like I learned about another Yu-Gi-Oh game every month but I just kept going, LOL. I've got like 3 left... almost there.

I had no idea they were still making Yu-Gi-Oh games.

During peak COVID lockdowns, I got bored and randomly decided to go for the full NA physical games released with cards thinking there were only like a 5 games because I'm a sucker for games with physical bonuses. And then it just felt like I learned about another Yu-Gi-Oh game every month but I just kept going, LOL. I've got like 3 left... almost there.
Oh, there are buttloads of Yu-Gi-Oh games, they started coming out before the first official ruleset was even finalized, mostly because Konami was pretty heavily involved in making the TCG to begin with. That said, I’m pretty sure Legacy of the Duelist is the last full game they made, and it came out 7 years ago next month (though the expansion, Link Evolution, is only three years old). I’m afraid Konami’s gone all in on F2P with the property, though frankly I’m a little amazed it took them as long as it did.

Maybe they went off of highest eBay price lol

braggin:

I never got around to opening my physical copy of portable I got for $20 and sold it for $425 a while back.

Serious answer: Some people prefer Portable for things like the female playable main character option (which isn't in FES), being able to control party members directly, and it was the most recent release of the game. No matter which version they chose they wouldn't make everyone happy. I'll echo the sentiment here that I hope there is a definitive version remake coming one day which combines everything.

I'm still confused as to why they're releasing Persona 3 Portable instead of FES. Even if there's a Switch version coming out wouldn't it be better to just release the FES version since the Switch is powerful enough to handle it now? I thought the whole purpose of Persona 3 Portable was because of the PSP limitations.
I kinda figure it’s because it’s the only widescreen version. Like, P4G is 16:9, P5 is 16:9, but P3 and FES were both on PS2 in 4:3; the PSP version is the only one already in native 16:9.

https://twitter.com/Sharingan123412/status/1537419221893885957?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1537419221893885957%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Anonymous;Code coming soon?

Labyrinth of Galleria (sequel of Labyrinth of Refrain) finally got announced for the West.  I've thought about importing it a couple times over the years because they were mum about it for so long.

It will be over 3 years since it's Japanese release when we get it. That said, there's a PS5 version, but there's no PS5 JP version. So I expect game breaking bugs there.

The LE has a 2-disc OST, hardcover artbook, play mat, and cards.

I usually play dungeon crawlers on the go, so will get Switch. The first one was alright. Not my favorite or least favorite dungeon crawler. Still I support them, since they're a rarity nowadays and I usually play them as a comfort food type game.

There's the Crisis Core re-release announcement many have been waiting for.

Also the second game in FFVII Remake (three games total) is FFVII Rebirth. Release planned for end of next year.

In addition, Dragon's Dogma II announced.  A good evening! 

I don't game on mobile, but I wasn't expecting Ever Crisis to be so close to the style of psx FFVII.  Hopefully they release it to consoles too like they did with FFXV Pocket.

https://twitter.com/xenosaga7/status/1537566251999842304?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1537566251999842304%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

I really just hope they get rid of that random ass slots thing... I remember a few boss fights in CC where the fights could super long or super short, or super difficult or super easy because of the slots.

PS5 everything for me unless it's a dungeon crawler, than the Switch.
Interesting... can I ask why specifically you like dungeon crawlers on the NS?

I'm still amazed that I can't find a PS5 still. I've signed up for Sony's invite thing multiple times over the past year and Amazon's invite thing recently, and nothing.

I really just hope they get rid of that random ass slots thing... I remember a few boss fights in CC where the fights could super long or super short, or super difficult or super easy because of the slots.
Sorry to disappoint you, but the slots are definitely there in the top-left corner during the gameplay portions of the trailer.

I got used to dungeon crawlers portably such as Etrian Odyssey, the Vita ones and before that DS. I just can grind and play better portably. I have played some on the big screen, and it's okay, but for how they usually play, portably when you can is usually my go to. It also helps they're usually not performance heavy games, so the portable systems handle them well.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the slots are definitely there in the top-left corner during the gameplay portions of the trailer.
I didn't realize they already have screens and trailer for it, only saw the announcement on my Google feed... sucks it's back. Maybe we'll have the option to turn it off.

I mostly agree on the portable benefit of dungeon crawlers, but Labyrinth of Refrain is one of the prettier ones. It's also really good for remote play, since nothing is in real time.

Question- if I order an in stock item with a preorder at NISA, I know my order won't ship until everything is available but will they charge me for the in stock item now? Or later when it ships with my preorder? 

Question- if I order an in stock item with a preorder at NISA, I know my order won't ship until everything is available but will they charge me for the in stock item now? Or later when it ships with my preorder?
I believe the answer is later at the same time as the preorder. At least this has been the case so far with a pom plush I ordered.

I've done that multiple times in the past to get free shipping and they have always charged later. Most recent example was my Disgaea 6 preorder and The Cruel King and the Great Hero :)

Visual novel releases:

JAST USA released FLOWERS -Le volume sur hiver-. It has a 10% off right now until June 25th. This is the last volume of those games.

Steam

Forgot to mention Shiravune released Meteor World Actor: Badge & Dagger. This is a sequel to the previous game. The previous game is only available on Johren.

Steam

18 + DLC (NSFW)

Shiravune also released Icha Icha Steady, which is a fan disk to Study & Steady. This follows just one of the girls. Has a 20% launch discount currently. I liked Study & Steady enough, but it was extremely unstable on my machine. I somehow got it to stop crashing, but there were issues.

Johren (NSFW)

Also Iffy releasing Birushana: Rising Flower of Genpei next week on 06/28/2022. I got my copy pre-ordered. Other than that slow news and not many VN releases. Anime-Expo 2022 will have more announcements from the companies.

bread's done
Back