Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer digital sales are live today across steam and eshop.  I think I'm going to grab eshop first and then wait closer to the July 7 end date to buy steam games.  This gives me a chance to see if/how 3rd party sites undercut the steam sale prices.

For eshop I think I'm grabbing:
$17.99 Legend of Mana
$3.99 Penny-Punching Princess

Also recommend (personally own already):
$7.99 AI: Somnium Files  (multiple platforms)
$9.99 Utawarerumono Mask of Deception (steam)
$9.99 Utawarerumono Mask of Truth (steam)

JAST USA having their games on sale on their storefront as well as Steam. It goes on until July 7th.

JAST USA (NSFW)

Mangagamer summer sale on Steam and their site. Here is the listing of all their games and discounts.

Mangagamer (NSFW)

Denpasoft summer sale on their site as well for about the same length as the others.

Denpasoft (NSFW)

Johren summer sale as well. I've played most of these so any questions shoot.

Johren (NSFW)

If anyone has questions for some niche games I'll answer If I've played them.

Also Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse Remastered is coming out 07/21/2022. It's an alternate story that takes place at a similar time to Muv-Luv Alternative.

Steam

Taiko no Tatsujin Rhythm Festival has a release date from Bandai - 9/23/22. It will have a NA physical release, but probably only Bandai’s own store. Shipping is showing as 8.99. This will also have a music pass with over 500 songs.

https://store.bandainamcoent.com/taiko-no-tatsujin-rhythm-festival/

The Bandai store also has a drum controller up for preorder. https://store.bandainamcoent.com/nintendo-switch-taiko-no-tatsujin-drum-controller/
Hm... do I get this or not? I really don't want it since I had my fun with the PS2 version but seems like a cool item to have.

Why do I get the feeling that FF7 Remake part 3 is gonna be an NFT game or some kind..?

Hm... do I get this or not? I really don't want it since I had my fun with the PS2 version but seems like a cool item to have.
The Switch drum is not very responsive, if that helps your decision at all. The PS4 one was better, so I don't know how they mucked it up.

The Switch drum is not very responsive, if that helps your decision at all. The PS4 one was better, so I don't know how they mucked it up.
Just shooting in the dark here but have you tried updating the drum controller? Or is it the kind of thing that doesn't get updates like the joycons and pro controller do?

Taiko no Tatsujin Rhythm Festival has a release date from Bandai - 9/23/22. It will have a NA physical release, but probably only Bandai’s own store. Shipping is showing as 8.99. This will also have a music pass with over 500 songs.

https://store.bandainamcoent.com/taiko-no-tatsujin-rhythm-festival/

The Bandai store also has a drum controller up for preorder. https://store.bandainamcoent.com/nintendo-switch-taiko-no-tatsujin-drum-controller/
Lo, I was wrong, Best Buy just put up a listing, So hopefully others will too and you can not pay the outrageous Bandai shipping.

Looking more into this ... I found this mod for the controller which fixes the sensitivity (YMMV).
I have the most issue with the rim sensitivity, which this mod doesn't seem to help? It's like, if you hit it outside of a narrow angle, it just doesn't register.

Oh, Japanese release. 1 review doesn't seem all that pleased.
Yeah, import-only and never came stateside. I don't have any issues with mine, but I haven't used the Switch one so I don't have a real point of comparison. I've also played drums most of my life (admittedly not taikos, though) so it may just be that I have better precision/power/what-have-you than more casual folks.

Looking more into this ... I found this mod for the controller which fixes the sensitivity (YMMV).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnxewG4R4AA
I recently did the drum mod myself. It was a pain the arse. The don's are perfect but the ka's still need a bit of force.

Yeah I pre-ordered my next few months of RPGs already from BB (Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Soul Hackers 2, Live a Live, Trails game Zero I believe). Always prefer BB for rewards (no matter how little they are), plus trying not to feed the Amazon overlord.

I've been doing a lot of places. Best Buy to burn certs from Best Buy Credit Card offers (lately they've been doing a nice 'use your card somewhere other than Best Buy 5 times for $50+ and get a $75 reward cert' promotion), Target for the sales, and sometimes eStarland. They do charge a couple bucks shipping, but the game is a few dollars under MSRP and they don't charge tax. Discover card is doing 5% cashback from PayPal from July-September so I suspect I'll use eStarland more for pre-orders in the next few months (though other stores also accept PayPal - it's just combined with no tax makes it a slightly better deal)

GameStop if a release coincides with the $5 monthly pro, but I've mostly been using those on Steam or eShop gift cards instead.

Amazon is the last stop, I also don't prefer them.

Yeah I pre-ordered my next few months of RPGs already from BB (Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Soul Hackers 2, Live a Live, Trails game Zero I believe). Always prefer BB for rewards (no matter how little they are), plus trying not to feed the Amazon overlord.
Same here except my go to is Target. They've had plenty of offers and B2G1F sales plus 5% off on all purchases with the RedCard. But I've twice had my order canceled by them in the past 2 yrs so... it's riskier. Granted it was 2 out of 15, but that's vs none with Amazon, BBY and GS.

Ever since BBY got rid of GCU, I mainly pre order from Target (5% off with Red Card, plus often B2G1 sales and recent 30% and 40% off promotions) and Bull Moose (also has a rewards system plus as of now still doesn't charge sales tax).

My preorders have been mostly gamestop thanks to that b3g2 last year being 10 preorders or so pokemon diamond pearl and arceus (though they cancelled arceus due to their payment thing bugging out) neo twewy, digimon survive ps4 and switch, disgaea 6, scarlet nexus, elden ring and last Ys 9. So still waiting on digimon. the 2 pokemons were my freebies so losing arceus made it end up being b2g2.

I did preorder azure and zero from amazon due to the 5 10 and 15 off promos they had as well as whatever the one after that is (black/kuro?. definitely not nayuta whatever) as well as tales of arise(ia) (the last of which is already out of course from last year) and finally bravely default 2 for 10$ which was a steal. oh and atelier ryza 1 and 2. They didn't get arise to me until the near end of the month 3 weeks later after release which sucked since it came out the week of my birthday which was also my vacation. And pokemon scarlet or violet I can't recall which.

Bestbuy got one of the pokemon games from the random cert thing (and amazon got the other one) so scarlet and violet are both covered.

target I got kirby, blue reflection 2, monster hunter rise, atelier sophie 2, monark, mario tennis and arceus from during the 45% off promo.

Reminder that MISTOVER will be removed for sale from all platforms soon. June 30th KST (assuming it's effective at midnight, KST is about 13 hours ahead of EST so get it by morning on the 29th if you absolutely want to be sure you don't miss it)

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/909510/view/3326483852788420250

I'm still hoping there will be a steep discount last minute, but so far there isn't.
I'd buy it if it were at least 75% off.. but damn, $30 for the base game and $5 for the DLC? That's expensive for a game with mixed reviews

I'd buy it if it were at least 75% off.. but damn, $30 for the base game and $5 for the DLC? That's expensive for a game with mixed reviews
I was considering it, but may ultimately pass myself. Sounds a little too punishing for me. Saves after every move and there's a doomsday clock constantly counting down if you leave treasures unopened, monsters undefeated, or flowers unlit in dungeons. Permadeath plus every step drains meters giving it a hunger/survival kind of thing. No checkpoints, allegedly, if the clock goes off it's game over and you start over without keeping any experience items, etc.

Stakes and tension are the design, which if that's what someone wants then great, but it's definitely not for me!

I just want to know if Rushia is still in it.

If it doesn't, I'll probably return it, despite getting it for more than 40% off at Target.

P3P and P4G will be digital only
41f2d46dc25f4392edbab9206eec6934.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Happy for the primarily nsw people who finally get to play them.  Not sure if I'm going to buy them again unless it's really cheap down the road.  I will already have what I need with the original physical releases and the pc versions.

I hope LRG doesn't get the physical release for MMBN. Overall, I can't wait to replay.
I wouldn't expect that considering the past collections. But I would expect another split deal where some games are on the cart and the rest are on a voucher or are download since the digital version will be sold in two packs.

I really hope though that they put everything on a single cart. Also, I hope the Starforce collection is being seriously considered. I really loved those games and it would be nice having them in a collection.

bread's done
Back