Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
On this Zero thing- just so I understand it: the PC version of the game was patched by this guy to have graphical and QoL improvements, which were applied to the NS release but not the PS4? Even though the PS4 is basically a PC (albeit, low end PC from 2013 but still plenty capable of handling the game)? 

That makes little sense to me... 

On this Zero thing- just so I understand it: the PC version of the game was patched by this guy to have graphical and QoL improvements, which were applied to the NS release but not the PS4? Even though the PS4 is basically a PC (albeit, low end PC from 2013 but still plenty capable of handling the game)?

That makes little sense to me...
The ps4 version already existed in the form of Zero no Kiseki Kai. So NISA did the cheapest and most direct thing. The PC (and by extension, :switch:) versions did not exist so the task was handed off to PH3 to build them. They made enhancements where they could along the way. It's a pretty simple explanation but absolutely a disservice to the fans to have sold peorders without making the differences clear upfront.

Yeah if I cared about collecting I would just get it on whatever platform you have the other games from the series on. But as for actually playing it? I'd go with PC/switch. Durante does amazing work. I remember when he worked on Ys8. The port was originally a disaster, and after he finished working on it it became the definitive edition of the game and even has coop which I'm not even sure if the PS5 version will get

Speaking of, NIS Classics volume 3 does indeed have a game breaking glitch that makes it impossible to complete. fucking NISA. That's three for three.
Man, I really collect physical copies of SRPGs, but this just tears it, really. I guess I'll sell my still sealed copy of Prinny Presents Vol 1., and just buy them on Steam. No reason to have them on Switch if the PC version is more stable and can play them on the Deck.

Edit: And looks like I will keep stick to playing the Legend of Heroes series on PC, as well.

PC, the best place for JRPGs now, I guess? Sad.

One day I will learn to stop giving NISA my money. Until then I will probably end up double dipping on the Switch version of Crossbell games and GrimGrimoire should be good at least. 

As expected of the leak the new NISA announcements are below in video form:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7mrQHhf6is[/media]

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQYo8QqqKUA[/media]

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjMmO-4hFvI[/media]

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD4XpY73XDs[/media]

I'm not the hugest NISA fan for a while now, but I'll still play the games. They're one of the few that still does dungeon crawlers, which are one my favorites. I'm pretty over Disgaea though and I really wish they wouldn't put out such lame translations and buggy releases.

Yea, I'll probably get the first two. Dungeon crawler with SRPG battles is intriguing, and the dangaronpa-esque game might also be good. Will probably wait on reviews before I pick it up though.

I loved the first Void Terrarium, so I will grab the new one for sure.  I'll prolly grab Process of Elimination too.  I'm on the fence about Monster Menu. I will most likely just wait for a sale on that one.  And despite how beautiful GrimGrimoire is, I never could get into it back on ps2, so that is an easy pass.

All the CE's for these look so cheap now, so I will probably only go for the standard copies, which at least meansi won't order from NISA.

Likely pick up GrimGrimoire simply bc its a vanillaware title just to support.

Will wait and see on the others, but man, did anyone else feel the trailer for process of elimination was a level in one of those made for mobile rhythm games like Cytus? Lol

All Asia English games at playasia are 10% off, Japan English games are also in the sale.

So new fire emblem
Theaterhythm
Zelda
Octopus traveling 2
Tos port (high % chance of being a bad port like the ps3 and pc version) I can't wait to see what new translation errors they make. It would be nice if they added voice work to the non dubbed and new content from the ps2 release. But monkeys paw would be a repeat of vesperia. Especially since bamco refuses to do union vas which iirc was what most of symphonia was.

I'm hoping that theaterhythm uses touch screen controls otherwise I don't have much interest in that as touch is always superior method for playing those on the 3ds for me.

The on screen symbols look just like the 3DS version, so I'd be surprised if that wasn't an option.

I think I'll be picking it up regardless, but $100 for the everything edition at launch is a bit too high imo. I'll probably wait for a sale. I also want to see if there's any difference in quality with the in game videos on the switch and playstation.

Octopath 2 was a nice surprise, though I'm curious to see if there's any console differences there as well

If you're reading this thread I imagine you were quite happy with the direct lol

I'm not an Atelier fan, but watching that Ryza 3 trailer during the direct showed me it ticks a lot of boxes.  I may have to look closer.

Harvestella demo is out... I set that to download so it should be there when I get home.

Octopath 2 looked good enough that I may have to rethink Octopath 1.  Also some of the other Square Enix games looked solid.

Strange there was no Dragon Quest Treasures featured.

A lot of people I know liked Octopath, but didn't finish it. Myself included. I finished maybe 4 paths. So I'm not sure if I'm excited about this one.

I'm not super excited but will get 2, possibly after a price drop since Nintendo isn't publishing it this time and it will actually drop in price. I didn't finish the first game either but played it enough to not regret getting it.

I didn't bother with any of the post-game stuff, but I did complete all eight paths. I'd put Octopath safely in my Top 5 Switch games, so I'm excited about a sequel. I'm more excited about a new Fire Emblem, but I'll take more Octopath. 

I'm always impressed by how NIntendo keeps things under wraps. Like yeah, it's not too surprising that there's a new FE game but I don't think I've heard anything about it until now. And it comes out in a few months. Or maybe it's just me missing all the news these days...

I'm super excited that ToS is getting another release, still my favorite ToS game. Also super excited for Kirby.

Surprised that there's been nothing on Prime 4 or even the rumored Prime Trilogy remaster. Really curious what's happening there.

I didn't bother with any of the post-game stuff, but I did complete all eight paths. I'd put Octopath safely in my Top 5 Switch games, so I'm excited about a sequel. I'm more excited about a new Fire Emblem, but I'll take more Octopath.
I know I'm in the minority here but I didn't think Octopath was that great. It was enjoyable at first but the more I played it... it never felt like a grand adventure, more like 5 meh adventures and 3 really good ones. Outside of those small skits, your characters are never really a party on an adventure. I also hated the uneven leveling (since the first character you picked is locked and determines enemy levels). But with all that said, still looking forward to seeing what they have 2nd time around. Combat system was great and the settings/graphics were really nice.

I'm always impressed by how NIntendo keeps things under wraps. Like yeah, it's not too surprising that there's a new FE game but I don't think I've heard anything about it until now. And it comes out in a few months. Or maybe it's just me missing all the news these days...
The image for the new FE protagonist leaked in June I think. But most took a look at the image and instantly thought it was fake. The protagonist was nicknamed ‘Toothpaste Chan’ since she reminds people of Aquafresh toothpaste.

Tos port (high % chance of being a bad port like the ps3 and pc version) I can't wait to see what new translation errors they make. It would be nice if they added voice work to the non dubbed and new content from the ps2 release.
https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1569892310967787521?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1569892310967787521%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=

Wow, lazy... not even 60 fps on PS5/XS?
That's due to the port being based on the original ps2 port which was 30fps unlike the superior gc original release. Bamco for whatever reason sticks to the ps2 version instead of just retooling the gc one.

It's a shame I was right but bamco is pretty predictable and never had a good track record with ports in this series.

So we have 3 new Yakuza Like a Dragon games now.  Not sure how I feel about Kiryu coming back.

So we have 3 new Yakuza Like a Dragon games now. Not sure how I feel about Kiryu coming back.
Sounds like one of them is more of a remake with some added content. Knowing myself I'll likely buy them all and add them to my massive Yakuza backlog when they get down to around $25.

I support most around release when they first drop in price. I'm way behind on Yakuza games now, although I'll buy Ishin immediately because I've wanted to play the original for a while, and I like samurai games. Just glad it's still making decent money.

Hopefully, Fatal Frame 4 is released physically in Asia, at a minimum. And please Koei put those English subs on the darn cart/disc. The fact that the English dub and sub were only via a download patch for FF5 was just plain stupid.

Besides that game, looking forward to Bayonetta 3.

Pretty meh Direct for me, and as one who's not a fan of the BoTW Zelda approach, can't say I care for the sequel. Overall, strangely, this is the first Nintendo gen where I mostly just can't get much excited about the games they put out.

May be it's because I owned a Wii U...

May be it's because I owned a Wii U...
If Nintendo ports a few more games, the only reason why I'll keep a Wii U is to be a Wii. And if they can get some of the RPGs off that machine onto the Switch, I will sell off my entire catalog of those two platforms.

Do it, Nintendo...

If Nintendo ports a few more games, the only reason why I'll keep a Wii U is to be a Wii. And if they can get some of the RPGs off that machine onto the Switch, I will sell off my entire catalog of those two platforms.

Do it, Nintendo...
I'm curious.. what major Wii U games haven't made it over to the NS yet? Xenoblade X is the only one that comes to mind.

I'm curious.. what major Wii U games haven't made it over to the NS yet? Xenoblade X is the only one that comes to mind.
Besides that one, the ones left (at least among those that sort of matter) ... are Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Game and Wario, Devil's Third, and Paper Mario Color Splash.

Star Fox Zero/Guard doesn't matter.

friendly psa that the 10$ target gift card for a 50$ video game purchase thing ends the 16th iirc. Nothing I want currently that I don't already have preordered.  Harvestella looks interesting though. 

I didn't play that but wasn't it like Canvas Curse where the game is controlled by drawing on the touchscreen/tablet? If so I don't see Nintendo doing a 1st party release that can only be played in handheld mode.
I would assume they'd add in joycon control for docked, and allow touch screen in handheld mode.

Of those, Kirby will probably get ported. Paper Mario maybe. Devil's Third, I doubt it.
Definitely not Devil's Third - no way Nintendo re-releases that game. Wouldn't it be something though if basically the only game left stranded on the family friendly Wii U is Itagaki's Devil's Third?

friendly psa that the 10$ target gift card for a 50$ video game purchase thing ends the 16th iirc. Nothing I want currently that I don't already have preordered. Harvestella looks interesting though.
I didn't get this offer so I'm unsure of the terms, but Target recently added preorders for Persona 5 Royal for PS5/Xbox/Switch. If it works on that, that may be something someone here could be interested in.

I didn't get this offer so I'm unsure of the terms, but Target recently added preorders for Persona 5 Royal for PS5/Xbox/Switch. If it works on that, that may be something someone here could be interested in.
I saw it yesterday and it did work on P5 Royal PS5 (and assuming NS/X1 too)... but I noticed they had Bayo 3 Trinity Edition preorders up when I checked and ordered that instead. Not often you get a CE with a bonus discount of any kind. Gone now of course.

bread's done
Back