Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS for $32 at my local comic book store. Seems price has dropped for it online too...was like $70 for quite a while

Down to $21.99 now. I guess I can cancel/rebuy since my bby store pickup order is still on hold.

Also recently picked up :ps4: Monark for $20. Instore clearance price at GS.
I couldn't find enough to get to free shipping at BBY, so I hope Amazon matches, even more so now that BBY seems to be OOS.

This is gonna be a hard limited edition to get ahold of.
You think so? It was up on Amazon for a quite a while... and I got my preorder in at GS where it was also up for a while. I mean, a while is more than like 4-5 hours, which still isn't a lot but it's better than seconds that many items seem to last these days.

You know, it's the new tax laws that completely suck. Because otherwise I could help you (or someone else) out with ease.
I feel like I should know what you mean but could you elaborate?

You think so? It was up on Amazon for a quite a while... and I got my preorder in at GS where it was also up for a while. I mean, a while is more than like 4-5 hours, which still isn't a lot but it's better than seconds that many items seem to last these days.

Well it's all relative. It's not as impossible as Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

But a few hours is still a small time frame. I remember older FE titles being up longer than that. I think I got the FE Echoes LE a week after the listing went up. And stuff like NISA LE's stay up for months before they sell out.

I think they're referring to the increased reporting from payment services for smaller dollar amounts. eBay, Mercari, PayPal, Zelle, etc all have to report charges to the IRS if you had more than $600 in sales for the whole year, which is really easy to hit:

https://www.mercari.com/us/help_center/article/163/

The IRS says they don't intend to go after everyone, people repaying each other for meals etc and just want to get businesses that are avoiding paying. But this is the first year it's been like this so no one wants to open themselves to the possibility.

My tax person said not to worry about the new $600 stuff you can just say you are selling at a loss and it's mostly intended for storefronts. 

My tax person said not to worry about the new $600 stuff you can just say you are selling at a loss and it's mostly intended for storefronts.
But for people that qualify for the free filing, it will make a difference because that schedule isn’t included in those. So people who sell more than $600 will have to pay more to file.

I think they're referring to the increased reporting from payment services for smaller dollar amounts. eBay, Mercari, PayPal, Zelle, etc all have to report charges to the IRS if you had more than $600 in sales for the whole year, which is really easy to hit:

https://www.mercari.com/us/help_center/article/163/

The IRS says they don't intend to go after everyone, people repaying each other for meals etc and just want to get businesses that are avoiding paying. But this is the first year it's been like this so no one wants to open themselves to the possibility.
But for people that qualify for the free filing, it will make a difference because that schedule isn’t included in those. So people who sell more than $600 will have to pay more to file.
Pikagreg's tax person is correct, I'm not a tax accountant but am a public accountant (financial reporting)/CPA so I know a little bit about that rule because I knew it would impact me. The IRS will know you got $600+ but as long as you can show it's not $600 of INCOME, it's not like you'll owe any more in taxes. If you do get audited, you just need to show/pay taxes on your income portion. I had $4,200 in third party payments last year (ebay sales) but that doesn't mean I had $4,200 of taxable income- those are just gross receipts. Factor out eBay fees, shipping, and the actual cost of the item and I overall broke even (granted that was more luck than anything that I broke even, because I had some old PC monitors and some speakers I sold for huge losses/could prove the original costs on).

Obviously still a PITA to keep track of it all and have the original receipts to provide your cost to purchase things. And also obvious if you sell like... super old games and stuff for which you can't prove your cost, not to mention the appreciation in their value would mean you'd have a hard time saying hey didn't make any money on it (e.g, selling your original CIB copy of Chrono Trigger that you bought for $90 back in the 90s which now sells for $1,500 or whatever). Also PITA that IRS can go back like a few years (I think it's 3 years without any real reason, or 7 years if they have evidence of you committing some white collar crime).

This rule was more for gig workers, like the Uber drivers and GrubHub delivery people. Their income from those app are supposed to be self reported W2 wages but there's been a lot of questions as to how many people are. It's rule that'll help address the problem of people not paying their taxes but it is bullshit in the sense that it doesn't address questions of wealthy people and if they're really paying their share of taxes.

Sorry for the tangent, but figure this'll help some people... no need to hold on to that Cyberpunk 2077 PS4 CE you bought and no longer want because you're afraid that you'll be taxed on what you sell it for (that was me LOL, lost like $200 on it). You'll only be taxed if you make money on it. Oh, and keep your damn receipts/email invoices.

Obviously still a PITA to keep track of it all and have the original receipts to provide your cost to purchase things.

Oh, and keep your damn receipts/email invoices.
Yeah, I knew you could do a cost basis, but selling things was barely worth my time and something I hated dealing with when I wasn't working already, so I personally just decided to not deal with it as pulling up any original purchase receipts, and sales receipts for every item sounded very painful. Although I wasn't aware you could deduct shipping costs - I thought it would only be any change in the item itself.

I know you weren't talking directly to me though, and just sharing information. I agree I think someone will find it helpful.

I do collect a monthly payment from a roommate via a payment app since I pay the bills outright as they were already set up for me, and then they just pay me a portion. I am not looking forward to having to explain that, too, but I know it's possible.

The problem is, even if everything is completely and totally above board and you have all of the documentation, an IRS audit is still an IRS audit.

It's basic risk/reward analysis in my mind. Risk is a composite of probability and impact. Probability of an audit is low, but an audit would be a pain in the ass. Reward is reduction of clutter and maybe a few hundred in profit if stuff I have appreciated since I bought it. If I were in more dire straits trying to offload things I can see it making sense, but as it stands I'm reluctant (especially considering what a PITA it is to sell things online to begin with these days).

The problem is, even if everything is completely and totally above board and you have all of the documentation, an IRS audit is still an IRS audit.

It's basic risk/reward analysis in my mind. Risk is a composite of probability and impact. Probability of an audit is low, but an audit would be a pain in the ass. Reward is reduction of clutter and maybe a few hundred in profit if stuff I have appreciated since I bought it. If I were in more dire straits trying to offload things I can see it making sense, but as it stands I'm reluctant (especially considering what a PITA it is to sell things online to begin with these days).
Just make sure the income is properly reported when you file with the cost of the initial item plus any extra costs involved (auction fees, shipping etc.). If the income is significant enough, the IRS will send you a CP-2000 from their Underreporter Department (they basically compare what's reported to them on W-2s and 1099s versus what you list on the return). Unless you have sales in the thousands of dollars, I doubt they would go all the way for a full Examination Audit. I have been dealing with the IRS for 30+ years in my occupation so I definitely wouldn't stress thinking that you'll get hit for a possible audit for some random auction sales.

Last, but not least, the statute of limitations is three years from either the initial due date (or if you requested one), the extended due date for any additional tax to be assessed by the IRS due to an audit. Same rules apply for a taxpayer trying to amend their tax return & getting an additional refund.

Ikaruga is getting a reprint via Nicalis. Right now it's listed as "coming soon." I missed it the first time, so I was hoping for another chance when RSG was announced. Even if it is Nicalis.
Any idea why is it called "updated" version? Doesn't look like there's any details as to what that means... is the game itself updated in some way?

Also just noticed, I bought the Code of Princess reprint a few weeks back.. and now they're offering it with a bonus (not sure what that bonus is).:whistle2:/

Any idea why is it called "updated" version? Doesn't look like there's any details as to what that means... is the game itself updated in some way?

Also just noticed, I bought the Code of Princess reprint a few weeks back.. and now they're offering it with a bonus (not sure what that bonus is).:whistle2:/
Looks like it's just a reprint with different cover art. I just checked my PS4 copy and there were no patches. So, the updated version can't be all the patches on the disc/cart.

I'm assuming it's to differentiate from the previous version, as to minimize impact on the value of the hypergun edition. I do know that Nicalis is reprinting certain games for their anniversary.

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is coming out for the PS5. The limited edition has changed, they replaced the keychain set and figure with a puzzle for $10 less, IMO they made the limited edition worse.
Yup, easy pass. It sucks that this one likely won't be a free upgrade for PS4-version owners either similar to Lacrimosa of Dana's PS5 version.

Finally got around to testing the PS1/PS2 stuff my bro had.  Several bad discs.  Some worked after cleaning but inconsistently.  Of the working discs...  Silent Hill (black label) worked and seems to fetch decent money and all four discs (2game, 1 making of, 1 soundtrack) in Lunar Silver Star Story Complete worked.  I didn't realize Lunar was going to be english voice acted.  So I may end up holding on to that a while and attempt a play through.   Also gave Psychonauts way too much time... though the disc likely needs a polishing (or resurfacing) as it didn't worked intermittently.

I'm, making progress on making the push to selling stuff.  The tax implications has me a bit concerned.  I likely don't have receipts for most things unless it was bought through an online store or auction where I could go log in and print right now... so I'll probably just take the tax hit even though I'm normally in the lowest risk possible for an audit as I don't write off really anything beyond super basic stuff like mortgage interest and taxes on purchasing car tags.   I always buy Turbo Tax Deluxe, so I should be covered on the filing side.  The big thing for me is either to start and try to finish before the end of the year so I will only have the one year impacted... wait till 2023 and try to do everything in that year... or just say f'it and do what I can and start when I can and if I don't get done this year then oh well... keep on keeping on.

Finally got around to testing the PS1/PS2 stuff my bro had. Several bad discs. Some worked after cleaning but inconsistently. Of the working discs... Silent Hill (black label) worked and seems to fetch decent money and all four discs (2game, 1 making of, 1 soundtrack) in Lunar Silver Star Story Complete worked. I didn't realize Lunar was going to be english voice acted. So I may end up holding on to that a while and attempt a play through. Also gave Psychonauts way too much time... though the disc likely needs a polishing (or resurfacing) as it didn't worked intermittently.

I'm, making progress on making the push to selling stuff. The tax implications has me a bit concerned. I likely don't have receipts for most things unless it was bought through an online store or auction where I could go log in and print right now... so I'll probably just take the tax hit even though I'm normally in the lowest risk possible for an audit as I don't write off really anything beyond super basic stuff like mortgage interest and taxes on purchasing car tags. I always buy Turbo Tax Deluxe, so I should be covered on the filing side. The big thing for me is either to start and try to finish before the end of the year so I will only have the one year impacted... wait till 2023 and try to do everything in that year... or just say f'it and do what I can and start when I can and if I don't get done this year then oh well... keep on keeping on.
The thing is even if you can’t find the original price paid for things, you still want to deduct shipping, auction fees/payment processing fees and shipping supplies.

Yup, easy pass. It sucks that this one likely won't be a free upgrade for PS4-version owners either similar to Lacrimosa of Dana's PS5 version.
oh really? I didn't know about this.

What are the differences in the (Ys 8) PS5 version? I've googled it and I'm not getting any hits, or list of changes. Found a couple sources that says PS4 version was already 60fps, 1800p on the Pro.

What are the differences in the (Ys 8) PS5 version? I've googled it and I'm not getting any hits, or list of changes. Found a couple sources that says PS4 version was already 60fps, 1800p on the Pro.
I don't think there are any differences besides including the dlc in the PS5 version.

What scorponok said:

I don't think there are any differences besides including the dlc in the PS5 version.
Plus a separate trophy list if you're into that kind of thing...like me.

Hmm I preordered the P5R 1 More Edition, and today I got in a package with just the game.  Was the CE delayed similar to Soul Hackers 2?

Hmm I preordered the P5R 1 More Edition, and today I got in a package with just the game. Was the CE delayed similar to Soul Hackers 2?
Lol, do people not read the details for what they are ordering? They were upfront about it from the day the preorder went live.
Physical Game will ship before launch on October 21, 2022.

Estimated Collector’s Items Shipping Date: Late November 2022

Lol, do people not read the details for what they are ordering? They were upfront about it from the day the preorder went live.
Physical Game will ship before launch on October 21, 2022.

Estimated Collector’s Items Shipping Date: Late November 2022
Nah, I didn't read the details. I don't order a ton of CEs anymore, but the one's I do order I tend to try to check out quickly for in case it sells out. Thanks for the info tho :)

https://noisypixel.net/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-playstation-5-contents/

DLC outfits, including a few that were supposedly Japan only before, enhancements that were added to the PC release later (draw distance, FPS, load times is all it says and I haven't kept up with the specifics), mouse and keyboard support, and a (two song) Christmas album?

These aren't great sales but if you were looking for any of these recently released niche titles for switch.

Prinny Presents NIS Classics Volume 3: La Pucelle: Ragnarok / Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure - Deluxe Edition @ DeepDiscount $49.97

Yurukill: The Calumniation Games Deluxe Edition @ Amazon $34.99
AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES - nirvanA Initiative Standard Edition @ Amazon $39.49

Ebay 20% off coupon COUNTDOWN22 works on these games(price is after coupon but before taxes)

Pokemon Legends: Arceus @ Ebay $41.59
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 @ Ebay $43.99

Splatoon 3 @ Ebay $43.19

Note: You must purchase from this seller for coupon to work. Also these are likely EU region game carts.

These aren't great sales but if you were looking for any of these recently released niche titles for switch.

Prinny Presents NIS Classics Volume 3: La Pucelle: Ragnarok / Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure - Deluxe Edition @ DeepDiscount $49.97
Yurukill: The Calumniation Games Deluxe Edition @ Amazon $34.99
AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES - nirvanA Initiative Standard Edition @ Amazon $39.49

Ebay 20% off coupon COUNTDOWN22 works on these games(price is after coupon but before taxes)
Pokemon Legends: Arceus @ Ebay $41.59
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 @ Ebay $43.19
Splatoon 3 @ Ebay $43.19

Note: You must purchase from this seller for coupon to work. Also these are likely EU region game carts.
That's not a terrible price for Yurukill. Might use my $10 credit on it. Just sucks that the game doesn't have touch controls on switch and it's got mixed reviews..

I lost interest in the Prinny Presents series since every release has a game halting bug on the cart. 

I know the bar is low for NIS, but re-releases of old games should not be physically produces with 100% reproducible game ending bugs, IMO.

Hot take, I know.

I know this thread/section is to talk about game deals and not the place to talk about games per say, but since nobody uses the actual forms anymore and I just I need to say this somewhere but...
I just beat Xeno 3 and that picture cameo is probably one of the most uncomfortable/fanboyishly cringey things I've ever seen. I was semi-mixed on the game throughout but that part just... I dunno, was just embarrassing.

I think it's fine to talk about games apart from deals but I'd at least spoiler that.  Personally haven't played more than a few hours of XC3 yet.  Kinda waiting to see if they do a Touna-like physical release +dlc before really going through it.

I think it's fine to talk about games apart from deals but I'd at least spoiler that. Personally haven't played more than a few hours of XC3 yet. Kinda waiting to see if they do a Touna-like physical release +dlc before really going through it.
Same boat, I haven't received my SE stuff yet but sold my copy of the game on launch and will happily wait for the complete version

I doubt there's a "complete version" but I'd imagine we have a pretty solid chance of another Torna situation with the story part of the season pass physical and then a code for the rest of the season pass content.

PS5 Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana will run at 120 FPS at 1080p and 60 FPS at 4K resolution.
No PS4 to PS5 upgrading because of DLC (yet to be fully confirmed.)
Trophy list is separate from PlayStation 4 & no PS4 to PS5 cross-save (yet to be fully confirmed)
Much faster loading, higher-resolution textures, greater draw distance, smoother shadows, Keyboard & Mouse Support
No plans to bring DLC to other platforms
No co-op mode from PC
The additional DLC costumes added to the PS5 version, such as the Laxia Greek Summer & School Swimsuit costumes and the Instructor Rean Hug-Hug attachment, have no plans to come to other versions.
noisypixel

A little disappointed that the Aksys news/stream/announcement/whatever-it-was-branded was just four Switch games, one of which is a PS3 port. You win some, you lose some I suppose.

bread's done
Back