Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://twitter.com/Squarehard/status/1626045535701569536
Just curious, do you insure your collection? This is my #1 question now to anyone with a large collection because it seems like it's such a major unknown... many people say it falls under home/renter's insurance personal property coverage but plenty of people think it's highly unlikely that the insurance company honor the full value of any major collection (myself included) given how difficult it would be argue 100s, if not 1000s, of individual item values.

You have to look into your homeowner’s insurance policy.  They have an amount to cover personal belongings, but some may have limits on how much they would pay out for ‘collectibles.’  In which case you can add a rider to your policy, have a schedule of what is included and values for each. 

Mine said it's included unless a single item goes over some amount, or had an uncomfirmable amount. So they wouldn't insure a specific thing I asked about, even with a rider.

Like if Bandai sent you a one of a kind Elden Ring package, it wouldn't be covered. But the Malenia statue from the CE should be.

You have to look into your homeowner’s insurance policy. They have an amount to cover personal belongings, but some may have limits on how much they would pay out for ‘collectibles.’ In which case you can add a rider to your policy, have a schedule of what is included and values for each.
Hm... I might need to find a different insurance company or agent. I had this discussion with my agent back in 2020 (after the COVID spike in values) and they just told me "collectibles are very hard to insure because everyone thinks their stuff is worth more and we are going to say, and don't tell anyone I said this, 'no, it's worth much less'. If you want to still value it for that much, we'd need an outside party to appraise the value". I'm para-phrasing some parts of what she said but I've just been struck with this paranoia for the past 2 years...

Just curious, do you insure your collection? This is my #1 question now to anyone with a large collection because it seems like it's such a major unknown... many people say it falls under home/renter's insurance personal property coverage but plenty of people think it's highly unlikely that the insurance company honor the full value of any major collection (myself included) given how difficult it would be argue 100s, if not 1000s, of individual item values.
For me it just falls under my home owners insurance, which covers up to a certain amount for certain items, and so on, but they collectively add up to a maximum payout limit. If something disastrous happens, what will be will be. As long as I'm not dead, it's a win for me. :D

Hmmm ... anyone heard whether the physical release of the next Fatal Frame (Lunar Mask) will have English on the disc or the cart?   Interested in picking that up but definitely not doing so until I know that English is on there.  Last Fatal Frame release (Maiden of Dark Water), English was patched in -- which defeats the purpose of buying it physically. 

For me it just falls under my home owners insurance, which covers up to a certain amount for certain items, and so on, but they collectively add up to a maximum payout limit. If something disastrous happens, what will be will be. As long as I'm not dead, it's a win for me. :D
Just remember that homeowners insurance (at least in the US) pays out items at current cash value after factoring in depreciation, not actual cost of replacement. I used to be a claims adjuster for HO claims for one the big boys, and this was one of the things that drilled into our heads during training. I remember some guy's house caught on fire and he claimed around 2000 DVDs. I was authorized to settle the claim at a maximum of $.50 to 1.00 per DVD. Most of the DVDs that were out of print were considered valueless. It didn't actually matter in the end, because the dude's house burned down so he got his policy limit (after a year long SIU investigation).

I only did the job for a few years (people's homes are disgusting), but I only came across a few claims where people claimed a significant amount in collectables that weren't covered under an umbrella policy. One guy claimed over $100,000 dollars in Magic cards. I believe we determined they were valueless (maybe $.009 per card) since he couldn't prove what cards he owned.

It was a terrible job. It made me feel dirty.

Just remember that homeowners insurance (at least in the US) pays out items at current cash value after factoring in depreciation, not actual cost of replacement. I used to be a claims adjuster for HO claims for one the big boys, and this was one of the things that drilled into our heads during training. I remember some guy's house caught on fire and he claimed around 2000 DVDs. I was authorized to settle the claim at a maximum of $.50 to 1.00 per DVD. Most of the DVDs that were out of print were considered valueless. It didn't actually matter in the end, because the dude's house burned down so he got his policy limit (after a year long SIU investigation).

I only did the job for a few years (people's homes are disgusting), but I only came across a few claims where people claimed a significant amount in collectables that weren't covered under an umbrella policy. One guy claimed over $100,000 dollars in Magic cards. I believe we determined they were valueless (maybe $.009 per card) since he couldn't prove what cards he owned.

It was a terrible job. It made me feel dirty.
Really hate to go off the rails here but I didn't consider this. A few years back, I had to file a claim for theft (laptop, monitor, headphones, new winter coat) and my insurance company did the same- they paid me out for what item cost was after depreciation. However, once I purchased the replacement items, they paid out the difference between original item's depreciated value and cost of the replacement up to the cost of the original item. So for my 2 year old laptop that was $1,200, they gave me $700. But my replacement laptop was $1,300 so they paid up the difference up to the original laptops $1,200 price tag so I ended up getting an additional $500 back. It was kinda cool to get nicer stuff that was negated once you factor in the deductible paid.

Interesting info, thanks for sharing :)

One guy claimed over $100,000 dollars in Magic cards. I believe we determined they were valueless (maybe $.009 per card) since he couldn't prove what cards he owned.
Out of curiousity, would photos have sufficed? Or would that be too easy to fabricate and you'd need some kind of formal tally & assessment by a 3rd party?

Interesting info, thanks for sharing :)

Out of curiousity, would photos have sufficed? Or would that be too easy to fabricate and you'd need some kind of formal tally & assessment by a 3rd party?
Boring insurance talk warning:

The only thing that really would help is if you have some type of itemized purchase record in your taxes. That kind of stuff was above my pay level though, I remember that documented tax history was really important with unusually valued items.

Valuation of collectables based on the collectable market just isn't really something general homeowners insurance considers. Even with documentation, a lot of insurance companies have limit caps in HO insurance. For example, the company I worked for had a general item coverage rider (add on) that still only covered about 20-50 % of the total value.

My knowledge base sort of stops here. On the rare occasions that people had specially insured collectables, or filed a lawsuit over property valuation, they would work with a specialty adjuster on that part of the claim. People with that kind of coverage usually had documentation of their collectables in their taxes (the IRS doesn't like if you don't document purchases and sales of high value items)

Maybe SE will finally offer a discount to celebrate?

https://twitter.com/chronogame/status/1627595394946416640

Boring insurance talk warning:

The only thing that really would help is if you have some type of itemized purchase record in your taxes. That kind of stuff was above my pay level though, I remember that documented tax history was really important with unusually valued items.

Valuation of collectables based on the collectable market just isn't really something general homeowners insurance considers. Even with documentation, a lot of insurance companies have limit caps in HO insurance. For example, the company I worked for had a general item coverage rider (add on) that still only covered about 20-50 % of the total value.

My knowledge base sort of stops here. On the rare occasions that people had specially insured collectables, or filed a lawsuit over property valuation, they would work with a specialty adjuster on that part of the claim. People with that kind of coverage usually had documentation of their collectables in their taxes (the IRS doesn't like if you don't document purchases and sales of high value items)
I think the difficulty here for a lot of game collectors here would be that many of the items in their collection weren't "high value items" before they were acquired.

For someone that just buys things as they go on sale and never sells off any of their collection, there's nothing that they'd file with the IRS.

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. It almost seems unrealistic for them to finally fix Pip to evolve properly after all these years.

All this talk about game values... I still had my DQ 8 for 3DS sealed (i tend to open stuff when I play it) and of course it was shelved and looked pristine.  Yesterday my oldest son wanted to play it... I broke the seal and took a look (and smell, because why not) and then handed it to him.  My youngest son who was sitting there told me afterwards he had to close his eyes.  It might have just dropped in value but not like I was going to sell it or send it off and pay for it to be  graded.  I paid retail for it at launch.  Things like this are really only worth something if you are selling them or needing to replace them.  In the middle it's just all stuff.  Life is short, enjoy what you got.

As far as insurance and whatnot goes, though I don't follow channels on youtube these days, MetalJesusRocks did a solid job going over this five years ago and the info is still pretty relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh8y66O6c34

All this talk about game values... I still had my DQ 8 for 3DS sealed (i tend to open stuff when I play it) and of course it was shelved and looked pristine. Yesterday my oldest son wanted to play it... I broke the seal and took a look (and smell, because why not) and then handed it to him. My youngest son who was sitting there told me afterwards he had to close his eyes. It might have just dropped in value but not like I was going to sell it or send it off and pay for it to be graded. I paid retail for it at launch. Things like this are really only worth something if you are selling them or needing to replace them. In the middle it's just all stuff. Life is short, enjoy what you got.

As far as insurance and whatnot goes, though I don't follow channels on youtube these days, MetalJesusRocks did a solid job going over this five years ago and the info is still pretty relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh8y66O6c34
This is fairly common sense discussion honestly- if you have something of value, do what you can to protect it. There's nothing be said here that's suggesting you can't enjoy it. I'm not losing any sleep over this but I'd feel better knowing that my most valuable assets are protected.

I saw his video a few years ago, it actually made me question a lot of things- mainly because most anyone giving advice is doing so based on what they've learned themselves or through others, but I don't think I've seen anyone chime in who's actually had to deal with a situation of claim video games.

All this talk about game values... I still had my DQ 8 for 3DS sealed (i tend to open stuff when I play it) and of course it was shelved and looked pristine.
I was curious so I looked it up. Surprisingly, the difference between new and like new there is fairly small, like $30. If it goes from $300 to $50 though, I'd probably be like your younger son.

I saw his video a few years ago, it actually made me question a lot of things- mainly because most anyone giving advice is doing so based on what they've learned themselves or through others, but I don't think I've seen anyone chime in who's actually had to deal with a situation of claim video games.
Someone in the Lego thread recently went through claims.

About the only valuable games I have are Mega Man Legends 1 & 2, and Dragon Quest 4-6 & 9 for DS. All complete, but the Mega Man games aren't in great condition.

I just put in orders for FF Pixel Remaster PS4 and Switch at Play Asia for $142.48 with discount code: Wario

https://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy-i-vi-pixel-remaster-collection-english/13/70g0qp
https://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy-i-vi-pixel-remaster-collection-english/13/70g0qn

Way better than ~$100 shipped per title at Square Enix. (freeking $24 S&H).
Thanks, in for 1 on each platform too.

Free shipping AND no sale tax is no brainer a better option

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

That's a pretty solid deal on the FF remaster collection.  Very tempting... but I'm going to resist as I have other ways to just play the games if I get the itch to go back to the FF series.  Like I went through the trouble of going for all of the main FF games on PSN for the Vita.

I just put in orders for FF Pixel Remaster PS4 and Switch at Play Asia for $142.48 with discount code: Wario

https://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy-i-vi-pixel-remaster-collection-english/13/70g0qp

https://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy-i-vi-pixel-remaster-collection-english/13/70g0qn

Way better than ~$100 shipped per title at Square Enix. (freeking $24 S&H).
I know the games themselves are region free, but are there any disadvantages (missing patches, DLC issues, so on) to getting Asian releases as opposed to US ones?

I know the games themselves are region free, but are there any disadvantages (missing patches, DLC issues, so on) to getting Asian releases as opposed to US ones?
I own the Asian release of VII & VIIIR. I hunted down the Asian version in particular because the EU / PEGI logo is hideous.

I believe these get identical patch support (if applicable). Dlc conflicts can occur with a mismatched region account but I don't expect this particular release to have dlc. The main difference will be a missing ESRB logo on the case & cart, possibly some minor text variance on the artwork.

I own the Asian release of VII & VIIIR. I hunted down the Asian version in particular because the EU / PEGI logo is hideous.

I believe these get identical patch support (if applicable). Dlc conflicts can occur with a mismatched region account but I don't expect this particular release to have dlc. The main difference will be a missing ESRB logo on the case & cart, possibly some minor text variance on the artwork.
The spine font is slightly different than what is used on ESRB copies.

That's a pretty solid deal on the FF remaster collection. Very tempting... but I'm going to resist as I have other ways to just play the games if I get the itch to go back to the FF series. Like I went through the trouble of going for all of the main FF games on PSN for the Vita.
I felt the same way. Figured I'd just pick them up cheap on Steam. Well....a year went by and that was never a possibility. They've always been $70+ for the digital bundle.

I knew that I wanted to have a hard copy of these games. Then I thought about the future. How much something like this will cost and be worth as soon as it goes OOP. :bomb:

It's another one of those things:

1) none of us wants to pay the price for the collection.

2) not many people will want to buy these things upfront, when they are easily and readily available.

3) but boy oh boy people are going to lose their damn minds if and when these FF Pixel collections on physical suddenly become OOP.  There's a good chance that it could be a small print run.  They'd be ~$200+ on the aftermarket within a week. 

I think those PS1 'Greatest Hits' FF jewel cases have altered our perception quite a bit.  Possibly even the PSP versions of 1 & 2 that hit bargain bins everywhere.  If this were another series of similar note and stature we'd be buying these games in a heartbeat. (Imagine what LRG would have done to them.)

The spine font is slightly different than what is used on ESRB copies.
Worth noting the listings on Play-Asia (the covers that are currently circulating for the Asia-English versions) are also marked as placeholders. I wouldn't interpret them as final yet; likely some kind of ratings board logo will get stamped on and further changes are possible.

I felt the same way. Figured I'd just pick them up cheap on Steam. Well....a year went by and that was never a possibility. They've always been $70+ for the digital bundle.

I knew that I wanted to have a hard copy of these games. Then I thought about the future. How much something like this will cost and be worth as soon as it goes OOP. :bomb:
It's a solid purchase as long as the cart has everything working well without needing a patch. FF was something I loved on the NES and then our version of 3 on the SNES. Finished both. I've never actually finished another ff game since (played a lot of VII but stopped). I still love the music. I actually sold off my physical GBA versions of the FF games and have yet to really miss them. The Vita was my last real go at the series... though I did grab X/X-2 & XII on the Switch when they were cheap. Which was kind of dumb as I gave X time on the Vita and didn't really like the on rails world.

The thing with the pixel remasters is that I already have versions of those games I prefer to play, and for the most part, these don’t quite match up on an aesthetic or gameplay level (judging by in depth comparisons I’ve watched). Like I probably would have picked up a collection of them at $30 or less, but I can’t see myself paying over $10 apiece for them when I already own several versions of almost all of them (only one FF3, though) for machines I still play them on, and especially when my preferred way to play most of them these days are romhacks.

On the topic of underdelivering nostalgia from Square Enix, I got an email about music boxes they’re now selling, which would have actually been neat kitsch to leave around my room, but they look tiny and cheap and they only seem to play under 10 bars of the beginning of each song.

I feel like the pixel remaster for FF1-3 (they fixed some grind and did some rebalancing for 3 at least), 5, and likely 6 are the way to go. 2 has sucked for me in all forms though haha. 4 we have the beautiful PSP version with the after part as well. There is also the 3D one with voices. I do feel I would love it all for about $50 though. I am going to order the Romancing Saga Remastered PS5 version though, so I may add this to my order.

I feel like the pixel remaster for FF1-3 (they fixed some grind and did some rebalancing for 3 at least), 5, and likely 6 are the way to go. 2 has sucked for me in all forms though haha. 4 we have the beautiful PSP version with the after part as well. There is also the 3D one with voices. I do feel I would love it all for about $50 though. I am going to order the Romancing Saga Remastered PS5 version though, so I may add this to my order.
I've beaten every non MMO FF except for FF II. FF II just sucks so hard...

PA wants me to verify my identity (as in send them a picture of myself with my passport or driver's license) when I tried to pay via credit card and said I can avoid it if I pay via PayPal. So I switched to PayPal and they're still asking me to that...

Is this normal now? Have purchased from them many times with this account before without any issues.

PA wants me to verify my identity (as in send them a picture of myself with my passport or driver's license) when I tried to pay via credit card and said I can avoid it if I pay via PayPal. So I switched to PayPal and they're still asking me to that...

Is this normal now? Have purchased from them many times with this account before without any issues.
I've never had to do that, but I also never used a CC with Play-Asia. Maybe it's because you still attempted to use a CC and that triggered a flag of some kind?

Am having a conundrum of whether or not to open/play my Trails of Cold Steel I Decisive Edition, or just buy a digital version on Steam or PSN. Now, I heard that there is some game save carry-over between games on the same console. So that's definitely incentive to stay on one platform. Also, I usually don't re-sell games unless I'm pretty sure I'm not going to play them again or straight-up dislike a game, and rarely do I keep games in shrink wrap. Just...not too important to me. But you know know, might get desperate and want to sell off more games later down the line. Don't want to regret severely lowering re-sell value.

Other conundrum is whether to buy Trails of Cold Steel IV ahead of time. And should I buy digitally (currently on sale for 31.99 w/ DLC or 23.99 w/o) or order Frontline Edition for like $50 from play-asia since I have the rest physical?

Anyone wanna convince me one way or another on any of these topics? lol

For the Decisive edtion, I consider that particular steelbook to be the best of any of the Trails steelbooks. Also the 50 mira coin is a nice collectible that stays significant in the games all the way through the end. The audio tracks are small bits from an amazing overall ost (they're all excellent until CSIII, at which point lower quality tracks start getting mixed in). I'm glad I opened mine. But I also bought the games physical (console) and digital (pc) just to support them and have flexible options. So I'd say it's a pretty personal call.

The save bonus items in CS I-IV and Reverie are very minor starter level items. So I wouldn't factor those into your decision. More importantly, at least to me, is that previous bonding event choices will change a handful of cutscenes (depending on characters chosen). Off the top of my head, only Azure and Reverie have a prompt at the beginning of the game to let you to reselect the chosen characters.

The dlc in IV isn't amazing and all of the paid dlc costumes from IV are unlockable ingame (not dlc) in Trails into Reverie. So I wouldn't pay extra for it unless you're in love with a particular costume. Also the dlc listing for IV has what I would call minor spoilers about playable characters, so be wary of that if you care.

Am having a conundrum of whether or not to open/play my Trails of Cold Steel I Decisive Edition, or just buy a digital version on Steam or PSN. Now, I heard that there is some game save carry-over between games on the same console. So that's definitely incentive to stay on one platform. Also, I usually don't re-sell games unless I'm pretty sure I'm not going to play them again or straight-up dislike a game, and rarely do I keep games in shrink wrap. Just...not too important to me. But you know know, might get desperate and want to sell off more games later down the line. Don't want to regret severely lowering re-sell value.

Other conundrum is whether to buy Trails of Cold Steel IV ahead of time. And should I buy digitally (currently on sale for 31.99 w/ DLC or 23.99 w/o) or order Frontline Edition for like $50 from play-asia since I have the rest physical?

Anyone wanna convince me one way or another on any of these topics? lol
Too bad you missed the boat on cold steel 3 and 4 being on sale. 3 was I think at one point under 10$ and 4 hit 24.99 I want to say.

You might still be able to get 3 cheap at gamestop but I don't know for certain. 3 had a lot of copies printed compared to 1 and 2 for whatever reason.

I remember having to do that once on PA forever ago but this was like during the PS3 days. This was back when you had to wait for an invoice to be sent before you could send payment though. 

I remember having to do that once on PA forever ago but this was like during the PS3 days. This was back when you had to wait for an invoice to be sent before you could send payment though.
I tried again with PayPal and it says "it worked great" but then my order status shows payment not received. I'm reaching out to CS, something's definitely funky....

Too bad you missed the boat on cold steel 3 and 4 being on sale. 3 was I think at one point under 10$ and 4 hit 24.99 I want to say.

You might still be able to get 3 cheap at gamestop but I don't know for certain. 3 had a lot of copies printed compared to 1 and 2 for whatever reason.
I have 1-3 , just missing 4. Yeah, I went through a phase where I stopped buying games because of my insurmountable backlog and missed the cheap window for Trails of CS IV physical. Now its like...do I buy it digitally now, buy for 50 bucks, or just wait until I actually play through 1-3, if I ever actually do, and hope it isnt worth a fortune then lol

I have 1-3 , just missing 4. Yeah, I went through a phase where I stopped buying games because of my insurmountable backlog and missed the cheap window for Trails of CS IV physical. Now its like...do I buy it digitally now, buy for 50 bucks, or just wait until I actually play through 1-3, if I ever actually do, and hope it isnt worth a fortune then lol
Take some time and at least play the first one for a few hours. If the series isn't something you just fall in love with then you can cut now and not feel bad as there are a bunch of other Trails games out and coming. I did finish buying all four CS games (1&2 Vita, 3&4 Switch)... but I'm not buying any more games in the Trails series because I think the time needed is something I'm not likely to make in the next few years. Plus I'm still sitting on a stack of DQ and Xenoblade games... and those are my main rpg series. I need to really put time into rpg's I'm more passionate to play.

I would think CSIV has a good chance of reprint like other NISA games in the future.
It was already reprinted once (after i imported a eu copy) so there's definitely a chance for that happening again. Hopefully. Since Nisa does the poll for reprints thing. Vgpca is also an option since they've been getting lots of rpg reprints.

Take some time and at least play the first one for a few hours. If the series isn't something you just fall in love with then you can cut now and not feel bad as there are a bunch of other Trails games out and coming. I did finish buying all four CS games (1&2 Vita, 3&4 Switch)... but I'm not buying any more games in the Trails series because I think the time needed is something I'm not likely to make in the next few years. Plus I'm still sitting on a stack of DQ and Xenoblade games... and those are my main rpg series. I need to really put time into rpg's I'm more passionate to play.
Imo cs1 isn't a good first impression. Mostly because it is filler with the story bits back loaded and or off screen in the cases of crossbell and gambling resort Island segments. I felt like it really came into its own better in 2. The pacing for class 7A. was just fetch and monster kill quests and repeating x and y don't get along with the boys then the girls felt both for forced for the girls and they rushed them.

Imo cs1 isn't a good first impression. Mostly because it is filler with the story bits back loaded and or off screen in the cases of crossbell and gambling resort Island segments. I felt like it really came into its own better in 2. The pacing for class 7A. was just fetch and monster kill quests and repeating x and y don't get along with the boys then the girls felt both for forced for the girls and they rushed them.
It's still something you'd have to go through if you wanted the full experience. So 60 hours to finish and 108 for a full completion of the first game (looking that up). 2 is around 48 hours... or 102 hours if you aim to do everything. 3 is around 60 hours and then over 120 to do it all. 4 is about 63 with 134 to do everything. So for wanting the complete experience... I feel like you'd really want to love the series to invest anywhere from ~230 hours for a basic play through of all four games to around 460 hours to do everything.

I played a decent chunk of the first game on vita... then later the first few hours of 3 (which 3 has a nice recap of the first two games if needed) before deciding I'd just get 4 and decide later to go all in or hold back.

I only finished FC and that took about 40 hours.  It is a solid game, but not that good that I am drying to play the next 7 games (SC, 3rd, 4 CS and Zero) that are out and more in the future.

bread's done
Back