Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone gotten a refund for the cancelled FF I-VI Pixel Remaster PS4 from PlayAsia? Seems like it's been quite a while since they sent out the cancellation emails but I don't have a refund yet...
I'd suggest you write their CSR. Your refund should have nothing to do with another release. There may have been a hiccup on the refund. In my experience, their CSR is very good and responsive to fixing any issues.

FYI, I had to write them to get a partial refund for a game after they sent an email to everyone about issuing refunds. It went smoothly afterwards but I did have to tell them I hadn't received it.

I'd suggest you write their CSR. Your refund should have nothing to do with another release. There may have been a hiccup on the refund. In my experience, their CSR is very good and responsive to fixing any issues.

FYI, I had to write them to get a partial refund for a game after they sent an email to everyone about issuing refunds. It went smoothly afterwards but I did have to tell them I hadn't received it.
Yeah I know, I've dealt with PA CS before- they've been good. Issue was their cancellation email noted it would be automatically handled but doesn't seem like it is but whatever.

Thanks, I responded to their notification about the cancelled PS4 version since that has my order number in it. Hopefully P-A just needs a little nudge.

Thanks, I responded to their notification about the cancelled PS4 version since that has my order number in it. Hopefully P-A just needs a little nudge.
They responded to me pretty quick and asked how I'd like my refund, back to my original payment method or as a PA credit... I would think they would do the right thing and just give people their money back to their original method automatically but doesn't seem like that's the case.

They responded to me pretty quick and asked how I'd like my refund, back to my original payment method or as a PA credit... I would think they would do the right thing and just give people their money back to their original method automatically but doesn't seem like that's the case.
I got the same response and subsequent confirmation once I asked for the refund back to the original payment method.

PlayAsia dropped the price for Ghost Trick on Switch from 59.99 to 29.99 USD for anyone looking for a copy or needing a price adjustment.

Is it me or does Playasia deactivate coupons when they have these sales?  The box is not there at checkout on multiple devices each with a different web browser.  

Is it me or does Playasia deactivate coupons when they have these sales? The box is not there at checkout on multiple devices each with a different web browser.
I was interested in a couple of the figures but it looks like free shipping doesn't work with some of those even after you hit the $100 mark ($60 for shipping to the States is rough ...)

No knock to PlayAsia's service, though. It's a solid retailer with excellent CSRs. Costs rising stinks but that's out of their control.

I was interested in a couple of the figures but it looks like free shipping doesn't work with some of those even after you hit the $100 mark ($60 for shipping to the States is rough ...)
Yeah, the free shipping is size and weight restricted. It's listed in the finer print somewhere, but usually not called out in their banners/promos. BBTS and Sideshow usually run similar sales and ship from the US, so keep an eye out there if you're looking for something specific.

Is it me or does Playasia deactivate coupons when they have these sales? The box is not there at checkout on multiple devices each with a different web browser.
Coupons are typically deactivated when you've got sale items in your cart. Want to say that started around 2019 or so? There have been a few occasions where it's been glitchy and let you use both but those are the exception and not the norm.

If you're looking for a standard edition copy of Atelier Ryza 3, Best Buy has a $10 gift card for preordering. (Digital Deluxe extras and digital preorder bonuses are not able to be purchased Ala Carte)

For anyone on the fence, the import of Fatal Frame, Mask of the Lunar Eclipse for PS4 has English subs on the disc. Ordered mine from PlayAsia.

wow I'm surprised atelier ryza 2 copies are going for 75+ now. I guess they finally went out of print? and or demand shooting up since 3 releases in a few days. 

There was a Ryza anime announced too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly83UdDhv18

Long delayed post of newer releases.

There are many visual novel sales right now on Steam and elsewhere. JAST USA has a Moe March sale and Denpasoft also has a sale on their websites. They last as long as the Steam sale I believe. I've played many of these so ask away if you have questions on some of them.

JAST USA Store (NSFW)

Denpasoft (NSFW)

JAST USA released a long awaited game Tokyo Necro from Nitro Origin. It has the mc taking missions to take down necromancers and their monsters. Lots of stuff happens with action and mystery. This has a 10% discount for about 16 more hours, so if you want the discount get it now. Supposed to be long and pretty high quality.

VNDB (NSFW)

Steam

Steam 18+ Patch (NSFW)

JAST USA Store (NSFW)

Denpasoft/Sekai project have 2 recent releases.

First is all is My Girlfriend’s Special Place from feng. This one has the mc being accused of being a molester from his childhood friend. In order to make amends he must become her butler. This is one route kinetic visual novel I believe. Pretty short too, but may be good for the people like cute stories. It has a 10% off price until March 23rd.

VNDB (NSFW)

Steam

18+ Steam Patch (NSFW)

Denpasoft (NSFW)

They also released Slobbish Dragon Princess 3 from Whirlpool. This is another short comedy romance game thing which is in a longer running series.

VNDB (NSFW)

Steam

18+ Steam Patch (NSFW)

Denpasoft (NSFW)

Shiravune is going to release Kunado Chronicles from Purple Software on April 6th, 2023. This is another longer visual novel about a world where metal attacks people and ruin civilization. People being to gain powers and one girl ends up defeating a major threat that has been going on for a 1000 years. The mc is an amnesiac found inside the beaten threat. It's a story about rebuilding after humanity was almost wiped away. I have a mixed history with Purple Software games, with Chronoclock probably being too simple overall in story, and Hapymaher having a really cool story with a very lame true ending to it all. Also I just didn't really enjoy the few routes I did of Amatsumi, but I've heard the true route is decent. I've heard this game also has a kind of lame true ending, but I'll probably still check it out. I will post the 18+ patch when it releases.

VNDB (NSFW)

Steam

A newer publisher PGN Games is releasing The Alchemist of Ars Magna from ninetail. The main character is an alchemist in school and it looks like a simulation RPG visual novel hybrid game and is supposedly very long. This one is supposedly coming out March 31st, 2023. It will likely have an 18+ patch. These games are always interesting, although I rarely play them, but likely will get this one if it's uncensored with the patch.

VNDB (NSFW)

Steam

Mangagamer are also releasing Lkyt. a Boy's Love game in a Japanese Fantasy World. These aren't my thing, but it looks high quality and doesn't look to require a Steam patch.

VNDB (NSFW)

Steam (NSFW)

Has NISA stopped responding to emails or calls in general. It has been over a month since I contacted them for a damaged CE. Multiple emails & not a single reply

Not sure if I should go through PayPal 

They shipped my Ryza 3 LE but didn't put tracking on it. The USPS does show it is heading for me but that's all I know.

Has NISA stopped responding to emails or calls in general. It has been over a month since I contacted them for a damaged CE. Multiple emails & not a single reply

They were very quick to respond through e-mail when I just had a question about an order.

Maybe an issue with your email address. I find I don’t get some emails in my gmail address that has a period in the characters. But if it’s gmail you can remove it and you will get emails anyway.

So my email is [email protected] that sometimes doesn’t get messages
I change it to [email protected] and things work fine.

They shipped my Ryza 3 LE but didn't put tracking on it. The USPS does show it is heading for me but that's all I know.
Funny, I got a tracking number in the email but it doesn't work. USPS says it's not a valid tracking number.

Thanks for pointing this out. I plan to play, but not immediately - still haven't beaten 2 yet.

There are swimsuits too, but you have to pay up for those unfortunately ($21.99 for the whole set): https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4108-PPSA08520_00-ADDCOSTUME000007

The Target Buy 1 Get 1 50% off (or buy 2, cancel one for ~25% off) sale is back this week, unfortunately maybe this is what they do now instead of Buy 2 Get 1 Free which was a better deal.

There are a lot of exclusions, especially for Switch games. Octopath Traveler II at $57.99, (or ~$44 after canceling one) and Dragon Quest Treasures at $39.99 (~$30) are okay. (Dragon Quest Treasures is also $35.99 digitally on the eShop atm)

Some preorders work, I placed one for Crymachina PS5 to decide later.

I'm not sure how they decide which versions of what are eligible. Grim Guardians (renamed to Gal Guardians, but not on Target yet) only have the PS4 version eligible, with PS5 and Switch not eligible.

Dragon Quest Treasures Switch: https://www.target.com/p/dragon-quest-treasures-nintendo-switch/-/A-87431812

Octopath Traveler II Switch (PS4 also available): https://www.target.com/p/octopath-traveler-ii-nintendo-switch/-/A-87657530

Crymachina PS5 (offer doesn't apply to Switch version): https://www.target.com/p/crymachina-deluxe-edition-playstation-5/-/A-88853535

The Target Buy 1 Get 1 50% off (or buy 2, cancel one for ~25% off) sale is back this week, unfortunately maybe this is what they do now instead of Buy 2 Get 1 Free which was a better deal.

There are a lot of exclusions, especially for Switch games. Octopath Traveler II at $57.99, (or ~$44 after canceling one) and Dragon Quest Treasures at $39.99 (~$30) are okay. (Dragon Quest Treasures is also $35.99 digitally on the eShop atm)

Some preorders work, I placed one for Crymachina PS5 to decide later.

I'm not sure how they decide which versions of what are eligible. Grim Guardians (renamed to Gal Guardians, but not on Target yet) only have the PS4 version eligible, with PS5 and Switch not eligible.

Dragon Quest Treasures Switch: https://www.target.com/p/dragon-quest-treasures-nintendo-switch/-/A-87431812

Octopath Traveler II Switch (PS4 also available): https://www.target.com/p/octopath-traveler-ii-nintendo-switch/-/A-87657530

Crymachina PS5 (offer doesn't apply to Switch version): https://www.target.com/p/crymachina-deluxe-edition-playstation-5/-/A-88853535
Picked up Stranger of Paradise last week for $20... and now i'm picking it up again for this sale to save $5.LOL

I have few dozen common/old games I want but Target doesn't have any of them... kinda nuts.

LIVE A LIVE coming to PS5, PS4, and PC on April 27

Hoping for a physical Asian version from Play-Asia, otherwise I'm waiting for a good discount.
I played through this game on switch after playing the demo for a while. It's pretty creative but also very short (which at the time was appealing to me). I'm glad I played it on the switch, but for anyone that hasn't... just don't go in expecting long individual stories. It's very condensed, but it shines on how creative it is with each story.. the setting.. and and the overall ending. The battle system I found enjoyable and I'm pretty damned picky about this stuff.

On sale digital this would be well wroth it. I'm not sure if it's something I'll hold onto long term, though it ended up VERY memorable.

For the likely very few who were waiting for another ninetail RPG/VN (Venusblood fans pretty much), The Alchemist of Ars Magna is out. This is an RPG/VN longer game coming at the premium end of VN prices. I've heard it's not as good as those games, but it's pretty new and has an 18+ patch for the Steam version, and a 20% launch discount. I will likely get it, but not sure if I'll play immediately. If you don't want to deal with the patch, JAST is likely the way to go.

Steam

Steam 18+ NSFW Patch (on an itch.io page. You can also just get the game there)

JAST USA (18+ NSFW)

Denpasoft (18+ NSFW)

I played through this game on switch after playing the demo for a while. It's pretty creative but also very short (which at the time was appealing to me). I'm glad I played it on the switch, but for anyone that hasn't... just don't go in expecting long individual stories. It's very condensed, but it shines on how creative it is with each story.. the setting.. and and the overall ending. The battle system I found enjoyable and I'm pretty damned picky about this stuff.

On sale digital this would be well wroth it. I'm not sure if it's something I'll hold onto long term, though it ended up VERY memorable.
Glad to hear it's relatively short. RPGS really need to stop being 30+ hours long... it was like standard back in the PS1 days for RPGs to last 40 hours but these days, I don't have time for that shit. Only reason why I cannot commit to any of the Personas since I heard they're 70+ hours minimum.

If I'm looking at something on PA, is there a way to tell if it's an Asian release with English packaging (as in, all the info text in the back of the case)? I can't tell by the pictures on some items. 

If I'm looking at something on PA, is there a way to tell if it's an Asian release with English packaging (as in, all the info text in the back of the case)? I can't tell by the pictures on some items.
Not that I'm aware of. Try searching for the game you want on ebay. May be someone there has photos of the back.

bread's done
Back