Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the same time,  there is no shortage of good games to play right now imo.   I welcome all the HD remasters on games that I missed.  I've got about 10 recent jrpgs I could play.

It's that gaming interests are more fragmented than ever.  There are only 1-2 cultural zeitgeist, water-cooler discussion games per year.  We have so many choices that not many people are playing the same things, and certainly aren't very sociable about it either.

The hd remaster/porting fad is definitely in my favor as well with how many old titles like say Baten Kaitos I missed out on. There's still probably 20 some odd games that could benefit just from digital ports like lunar series. 

I don't mind HD remaster either consider I've been buying the Romancing Saga games or stuff like Super Mario RPG. PS4 games being "upgraded" to PS5 and not being free like I listed are not what I look for in the porting though. They may run better (likely unlocked FPS), but it seems like a bad investment unless you never played them, want all the DLC (usually cosmetic and items), or they get cheap. I'm all in for Baiten Kaitos, Suikoden 1-2, Super Mario RPG and Star Ocean 2 (my favorite in the series). I would buy Working Designs HD remastered collections for sure, and could always go for some PS1-3 RPG collections. Where is my FFXIII HD remastered collection already S-E ;).

At the same time, there is no shortage of good games to play right now imo. I welcome all the HD remasters on games that I missed. I've got about 10 recent jrpgs I could play.

It's that gaming interests are more fragmented than ever. There are only 1-2 cultural zeitgeist, water-cooler discussion games per year. We have so many choices that not many people are playing the same things, and certainly aren't very sociable about it either.
I actually look forward to those HD remaster or PS4 port to PS5 because of the SSD utilization, that SSD is a big game changer for me. There's also too much good games to play this year and it is not over yet.

The hd remaster/porting fad is definitely in my favor as well with how many old titles like say Baten Kaitos I missed out on. There's still probably 20 some odd games that could benefit just from digital ports like lunar series.
This is probably true for most 30+ year olds... I mean who wouldn't. I can still get into the old games I love, janky controls and fuzzy graphics and all on the original consoles but what I cannot get over some modern conveniences, like wireless controllers and sleep/suspend states on console.

This is probably true for most 30+ year olds... I mean who wouldn't. I can still get into the old games I love, janky controls and fuzzy graphics and all on the original consoles but what I cannot get over some modern conveniences, like wireless controllers and sleep/suspend states on console.
The ability to save anywhere is definitely a mandatory qol improvement for me. I can get by with a save option for world maps if need be (atelier meruru, tales of symphonia among others) but it's inconvenient.

I think the Japanese version of Infinity Strash: Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai might also have English.  Playasia doesn't mention it, but I have seen English listed on some other sites, nin-nin lists English, switchwatch also mentioned it today.  Can anyone confirm this?  If so, you can save quite a bit of money by buying the Japanese version instead of the asian version, especially on the Playstation versions.

If it's confirmed the Japan version of Infinity Strash has english... that would probably push it up my priority list as a "purchase now" situation as I do want it for my DQ collection.

Hobby Genki lists the Japanese version of Infinity Strash as being multi-language.  Says it supports:  Japanese, French, German, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, English.

Ideafactory/Iffy NA store relaunched, as expected nothing carried over, you will need brand new account. I don't have any pending order so i don't know if it will be a mess like NISA.

The other bad new is: Shopify is their new back end/merchant platform. Preorder will be charged immediately

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

I started atelier meruru the apprentice of arland ps3 because a tornado knocked out the power last night. Which messed up my ps4 for most of the day. It is working now thankfully. Meruru is my 3rd atelier title after ayesha and rorona plus.
Nice, had water drip from a mini split air conditioner onto my stereo last month. Display had glitches text and it wasn’t working. Thankfully the next day it was working fine. Glad I didn’t have to spent $400+ on a new receiver.

Monochrome Mobius: Rights and Wrongs Forgotten free DLC from September 5 – September 19. These are the PS4/5 PSN links.

Monochrome Mobius: Fan of Piety

Monochrome Mobius: Lucky Cat Ornament

Eternights has a physical coming out for $29.99 MSRP November 16th.

Amazon PS4

Amazon PS5

Best Buy PS4/5

AIKAGI After Days came out. This takes place after the main game and is a fan disk I believe. An 18+ patch is avaliable.

Steam

18+ Patch (NSFW)

Nekonyan are releasing Cerulean Days on Steam September 12th. I believe there will be an 18+ patch.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

NekoNyan are also releasing Secret Agent on September 29th. I'll post the 18+ patch when it comes out.

Steam

Shiravune are releasing Purple Software's Liminal Border Part I on November 13th. This is part 1 of 4 and the main character creates a video that sexually arouses someone (says hypnotizes on Steam, but this is from VNDB). He decides to try it out on some girl that looked down on him, and ends up in a criminal seedy underground I think. It sounds a little weird, but I'll likely check out when it comes out and post the 18+ patch here.

Steam

VNDB (NSFW)

Shiravune are releasing Tenioha! feat. Mami from rootnuko+H. This is a Moe winner award for Dark Fantasy. I liked the other Tenioha game that was released a while back, but this one sounds a little too masochistic for my taste.

Steam (NSFW)

VNDB (NSFW)

Shiravune are also releasing more games on other storefronts like JAST USA and Mangagamer. There was 1 set of games and a more recent set of games.

- HimeYoku: A Sacrifice of Lust and Grace
- Master Magistrate
- Megasuki: Love Through Lenses with Ayumu Sakura
- Megasuki: Love Through Lenses with Otoha Inami
- Megasuki: Love Through Lenses with Yuuki Hoshino
- Meteor World Actor: Badge and Dagger
- Ninki Seiyuu: How to Make a Pop Voice Actress
- Revenge of the Orcs: Flag of Conquest

The following games will be available to pre-order on select storefronts!
- Kuroinu 2 Redux
- Nope Nope Nope Nope Nurses

Can someone explain P5R 5 One More Edition to me...? This was released on the Atlus' store I think last year but now it's being released again this week? Did they just decide to make more or is this unsold stock from Atlus' store? 

Can someone explain P5R 5 One More Edition to me...? This was released on the Atlus' store I think last year but now it's being released again this week? Did they just decide to make more or is this unsold stock from Atlus' store?
I'm willing to bet unsold stock, considering it was lambasted by most fans when it was first released. For good reason, too, since the thing is overpriced and the main selling point, the Akechi bag, is the wrong material. It should have been a plastic briefcase, it looks so goofy made of fabric. Forget the stupid treasure chest box (takes up way too much room on a shelf anyway), just make the briefcase plastic, throw in some black gloves because that's cool (or a replica Crow mask, since the original Royal collector's edition had a replica Joker mask), maybe a small art book and/or OST, keep the rest of the stuff, and $120 would have been fine. I really want the tarot cards, but no way in hell am I paying $120 for all that other junk. Maybe if it goes half off or something because people still aren't buying it.

I think it’s unsold stock because when Atlus first listed it the shipping charge was atrocious.  Much later they tried to unload stock by offering free shipping, but by then people had moved on to other games and weren’t biting.  

Ideafactory/Iffy NA store relaunched, as expected nothing carried over, you will need brand new account. I don't have any pending order so i don't know if it will be a mess like NISA.
The other bad new is: Shopify is their new back end/merchant platform. Preorder will be charged immediately
I didn't know they was updating the site did they send out a email? I just lost so many points.

I didn't know they was updating the site did they send out a email? I just lost so many points.
I read about it in this thread before it happened. There are a few threads here it's worth it (for me specifically) to just read most everything that gets posted. Japanese Niche, Nintendo E-Shop, Limited Run Games (which saves me going anywhere else for that info), and then a couple others which do a solid job of keeping me informed with very little effort as the content doesn't flow very fast.

A little bit of news mainly from the Playism thing they had. We got some other posts, but here's the rest of their announcements:

Boyhood’s End to be co-published by them and first episode is out this Fall.

Steam

Maid cafe adventure game Maid Cafe at Electric Street to be published by PLAYISM. Coming in 2024.

Steam

Exploration-based adventure game Refind Self: The Personality Test Game announced for PC, iOS, and Android.

Steam

Retro-style action RPG Journey Record announced for PC. Coming in 2024.

Steam

Roguelite deduction game Invitation from the Detective Grim Reaper announced for PC.

Steam

Frontwing is releasing GINKA on October 25, 2023.

Steam

Anyone know where I can preorder KofXIII (NA)? I recall someone posting a link before. All I could find is EU, AS, and JP.

Has anyone had any luck getting NISA Support to answer their emails? Due to the shift to the new store, when they emailed me about creating a new order for my Legend of Nayuta CE pre-order, the rewards points I used on the original order were missing. I ended up confirming the order and paying the full amount, since I didn't want to wait for email support to apply the points and possibly lose the game (since I've heard their email response time is atrocious now), and I sent them an email afterward asking if they could refund me the $9.40 I would have saved with my 940 points. Well, that was almost a month ago, and I've periodically resent the email, hoping someone will get back to me. I've heard horror stories about people never getting responses from NISA, and while I know it's only less than 10 bucks, it's 10 bucks dammit and I was supposed to save that money. Any suggestions or am I just completely at their mercy (and most likely shit out of luck)?

Rainbow Cotton coming to PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC.  I had this for the Dreamcast back in the day.  It was terrible, it was so hard to hit anything, I think I missed most of the enemies in every level.  It says it has enhanced controls, so hopefully the gameplay will be better.

That's one game I never imported on the DC.  It's not too shocking they are porting this once as so many Cotton games have managed to come out in the last couple years.  Maybe the controls will be improved?

I'm glad I never got that for Dreamcast. I had flirted with the idea. The camera does look a little further back, just going off of the brief trailer. We'll see how it turns out.

Has anyone had any luck getting NISA Support to answer their emails? Due to the shift to the new store, when they emailed me about creating a new order for my Legend of Nayuta CE pre-order, the rewards points I used on the original order were missing. I ended up confirming the order and paying the full amount, since I didn't want to wait for email support to apply the points and possibly lose the game (since I've heard their email response time is atrocious now), and I sent them an email afterward asking if they could refund me the $9.40 I would have saved with my 940 points. Well, that was almost a month ago, and I've periodically resent the email, hoping someone will get back to me. I've heard horror stories about people never getting responses from NISA, and while I know it's only less than 10 bucks, it's 10 bucks dammit and I was supposed to save that money. Any suggestions or am I just completely at their mercy (and most likely shit out of luck)?
I accessed NISA zendesk website, log in, followed up through my initial inquiry where they promised to refund the difference between new order invoice subtotal and old invoice subtotal. They actually responded and refunded me within a day. This was on Jul 18 so idk their backlog situation now.

Might help if you upload your receipt/invoice from initial order and the new receipt/invoice you recently paid, to their zendesk website.

I accessed NISA zendesk website, log in, followed up through my initial inquiry where they promised to refund the difference between new order invoice subtotal and old invoice subtotal. They actually responded and refunded me within a day. This was on Jul 18 so idk their backlog situation now.

Might help if you upload your receipt/invoice from initial order and the new receipt/invoice you recently paid, to their zendesk website.

Thanks, I just sent them an email via Zendesk with both order confirmations. Fingers crossed!

Oh holy moly, NISA got back to me right away and refunded the $9.40. Ok so for the future, the Zendesk website is the way to go. Thanks again, FlawlesslyFatal!

On the otome games front, Taisho x Alice All in one will have a patch so that the English translation will now be free (previously you had to pay $5 to get the English patch) on Sept 14.  

Also the fan disk Taisho x Alice Heads & Tails will get an English patch as well.  Digitally it’ll be up on Sept 21.  Not too clear on whether it’ll get added to the US eshop (the first game did get added when they created the paid English patch).  There will also be a physical reprint with English on the cart for Japan.  They will be shipping those out Sept 25.  

https://twitter.com/PROTOTYPE_info/status/1701773129121755301?t=ZAwSm5TUCju83Xb-JAzJSg&s=19

Rainbow Cotton coming to PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC. I had this for the Dreamcast back in the day. It was terrible, it was so hard to hit anything, I think I missed most of the enemies in every level. It says it has enhanced controls, so hopefully the gameplay will be better.
I saw video footage for the original recently, and it seems like one of the main problems may be that Cotton is just too big, blocking your view of what you’re trying to shoot.

I saw video footage for the original recently, and it seems like one of the main problems may be that Cotton is just too big, blocking your view of what you’re trying to shoot.
Good call, she does look way too big. They should add some transparency to the character (at least as an option). Also a first person option like starfox would be cool.

Every time a new Vanillaware game gets announced and it’s not a new evolution of their 2D action formula from Princess Crown, Odin Sphere, and Muramasa, I’m intrigued because new Vanillaware game, but also kinda disappointed. It’s been 14 years since Muramasa, 10 since the Vita remaster and its new DLC content, and 7 since the Odin Sphere remake.

I'm all for Vanillaware and all, and generally enjoy their games (haven't played their latest), though honestly the gameplay just looks generally weird to me looking like a mix of real time strategy and kind of Advance Wars battles or something. For sure I will keep checking on it as more information is there about these systems, and likely will buy it, but it looks a little iffy for my own tastes. Still was a cool reveal. 

bread's done
Back