Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I'm guessing NISA skipped doing a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale this year. That sucks, was hoping for a Disgaea 7 limited edition discount. Maybe they'll do one for the day after Christmas.

It was strange not having cag during the most serious time of the year to be getting game deals. I tried the discord, it was a mess. The least they could have done over there is taken the most well used threads we have here (like this, the eshop thread, psn thread, ...etc) and created us a temp home.

So the big thing that I wanted to tell folks about on Cyber Monday was the price drop on SMT:V to $19.99. I think it was on amazon and that sold out before I got there... but Gamefly price matched on their new copies though it wasn't obvious. So, I ended up paying just under $25 after tax and shipping. I would have used a code to knock 5% off but I had already used it on a past order and nothing else I tried worked. My oldest son had wanted to play SMT:V ... and since I grabbed the switch versions of P5 Royal & Strikers... I figure, I'm back collecting games in these series again ... especially at these prices.

Now... to figure out if there's a "night" mode for the new forums. Too much white.

EDIT: that was quick... the dark theme is under the User name-> Settings -> Theme (at the top of the settings page. So much better in dark mode.

I'm hoping for a Complete Edition of D7.

I prefer to buy those over the one offs.
Yeah, I typically do the same, but I just really like the Disgaea 7 limited edition's contents. It's probably good that NISA didn't do a sale, since it prevented me from adding more crap to my horde lol

Do I buy it now or wait for a likely deeper discount? Decisions... I like SRPGs and Persona, so this seems like a good fit for me.
I'm thinking wait... Atlus/Persona games seem to be printed in high volumes these days. I bough Nocturne HD, Persona 5, 5R, and Strikers all at release and every single one has been like $20 or less I think at some point.

Do I buy it now or wait for a likely deeper discount? Decisions... I like SRPGs and Persona, so this seems like a good fit for me.
Wait. As Vinny said, this will hit $20 before you know it.

I finally pulled the trigger and canceled my Persona 3 Reload pre-order for this very reason. Yeah, I got in on the $60 Gamestop price error, but it'll be half that before long. I just can't stand the new VA, the lack of FES/Portable content, the egregious $70 pricetag, and (as is the case with Tactica) the bullshit day one DLC, which isn't as big of an issue with P3R, but is a major Atlus problem. I'll get it when it's cheap, and/or when a complete version launches. As for Tactica, well, I'm not big on XCOM-style games anyway, so it can wait.

I actually just started playing Soul Hackers 2, coincidentally. One Atlus game at a time.

Wait. As Vinny said, this will hit $20 before you know it.

I finally pulled the trigger and canceled my Persona 3 Reload pre-order for this very reason. Yeah, I got in on the $60 Gamestop price error, but it'll be half that before long. I just can't stand the new VA, the lack of FES/Portable content, the egregious $70 pricetag, and (as is the case with Tactica) the bullshit day one DLC, which isn't as big of an issue with P3R, but is a major Atlus problem. I'll get it when it's cheap, and/or when a complete version launches. As for Tactica, well, I'm not big on XCOM-style games anyway, so it can wait.

I actually just started playing Soul Hackers 2, coincidentally. One Atlus game at a time.
Persona 3 reload also launches a week after Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth. There’s only so much time for long JRPGs and I’d rather spend my time on a new story TBH.

Dungeon Travelers: To Heart 2 in Another World for PC launches February 14, 2024

Note that this is the first in the series. The other 2 Dungeon Travelers 2 and 2-2 were banned from Steam. Even this is classified as adult, but I think is just ecchi. This is coming to Steam at least.

2 nice looking visual novels got fan translations recently.

First of all Aiyoku no Eustia which has been in translation limbo for a while. This one was leaked and will get some edits later, but a member of the team says it's official, but not quality checked.

VNDB (NSFW)
Patch (NSFW)

The second game is Lupercalia of the Silent Accord (Meikei no Lupercalia). This one has something about a play and looks cute.

VNDB (NSFW)
Patch (NSFW)

Persona 3 reload also launches a week after Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth. There’s only so much time for long JRPGs and I’d rather spend my time on a new story TBH.
It's also launching a day after Granblue Fantasy Relink, which I'm very excited for. By the time I'm done with that, FFVII Rebirth will be out, so P3R just isn't in the schedule.

P5 is great, but they didn't do what you need to do which is let things marinate in OOP status for a few years before relaunching them again at full price. Instead they've adopted the Ubisoft / AB model of devaluing their own products.

Now no one wants to pay for Persona anymore. You've trained them that it should always be cheaper, plus people already own them.

I still can't believe I scored those redundant steelbooks of Royal on PS5 and Switch for only $19.99 apiece at Target a couple Christmases ago.

How Long to Beat has P5T at around 24 hours for main quest completion; it's only "short" when comparing it to Persona proper.

For most games, that's pretty long, IMO.

Yeah short for me is like 2-4 hours or so. Very short around the hour mark. Medium up to 15 hours. Long 20 hours and probably 40+ hours very long, but I find most RPGs hard to play nowadays. So many of them waste time to pad out adventures even if in the end they're worth taking. I'm slowly falling out of the RPG love fest I once had, and am more into more tuned or shorter run padded (rogue whatever games) games. P5T looks a bit generic to me and also is more likely a side story type game as well. I will wait for $20 or less like usual. Likely will do the same for the P3 remake when that comes out.

Yeah short for me is like 2-4 hours or so. Very short around the hour mark. Medium up to 15 hours. Long 20 hours and probably 40+ hours very long, but I find most RPGs hard to play nowadays. So many of them waste time to pad out adventures even if in the end they're worth taking. I'm slowly falling out of the RPG love fest I once had, and am more into more tuned or shorter run padded (rogue whatever games) games. P5T looks a bit generic to me and also is more likely a side story type game as well. I will wait for $20 or less like usual. Likely will do the same for the P3 remake when that comes out.

Holy fuck, this so damn much... I don't play RPGs as much as I used to but I swear, on the SNES and PS1, there were so many good RPGs and they all ranged from like 20-40 hours. But then around the PS2 it felt like 40 hours was some kind of unspoken minimum for RPGs. Honestly was happy that FFXVI was only 30 hours (and that's being generous since there was a lot of lazy filler in that game).

But at the same time, I'll often start and game and then just keep playing it when I could easily finish... just because I feel so mentally lazy/don't want to start a new game. Like Tears of the Kingdom, was a fan of BotW but did think Tears was better. And then after I finished it, I saw my play time was 150 hours. I think Fallout 4 is still the kind of that though, pretty sure I have like 220 hours in that game. And yet, I can't get myself to commit to any of the Personas because they're like 70 hours long..LOL

I guess, but 25 hours is still relatively short for a TRPG. Then again, the Tenchi TRPG on SNES was like an hour long or some insanely short amount.

Edit: I guess it was about 7 hours. I remember thinking it was too short at the time though.

I played that one as a kid in Japanese, just trial and erroring everything until eventually finding a fan translation years later. It's a fun game! I definitely didn't remember it being that short, though. I spent a ton of time grinding in the carrot fields I think haha

I can still hear the walking sound effect in my head

Persona 5 Tatcica going for $40 on Walmart, Gamestop, and Amazon. Amazon seems to be the best choice to get it shipped as the other two are only as cheap or even in stock as store pick-uo only.

mana-trailer-2.gif

Looks like an advancement to the previous Trails engine. That one chugged on Switch. I'm guessing it will come eventually to next Nintendo gaming system. Seems likely we should get one unveiled hopefully soon.

A little surprised it's not coming to the NS... seems like a pretty large market to leave out.
Agreed they might be planning on Switch 2. That's my immediate thought for anything 2024+ that doesn't mention Switch (P3 Reload included) Your point still stands, the install base on Switch 1 is huge but maybe it also has value as a partnership/launch title sort of thing.

A little surprised it's not coming to the NS... seems like a pretty large market to leave out.
The games looks too advanced and big for the switch imo. Will probably be on the Switch 2. It looks like such a pretty game i want it on the ps5 which i don't even have

Was there something embedded in Vinny's post? Because I can't see anything and I have no clue what game you guys are talking about.

bread's done
Back