Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Some good news for anime fans: the Crunchyroll app for Vita was updated to include what looks like the entire catalog. You can watch anything now for free (supported by short ads, like 10 seconds) including Japanese and Korean dramas which previously required a separate or all-in-one membership to view. You don't even need an account anymore.

The PS3 app hasn't been updated and I don't know about PS4 since I don't have one.
I noticed the vita and ps4 update but figured it was just a minor fix since i have a subscription. That is pretty cool, it allows a free service now.

Some good news for anime fans: the Crunchyroll app for Vita was updated to include what looks like the entire catalog. You can watch anything now for free (supported by short ads, like 10 seconds) including Japanese and Korean dramas which previously required a separate or all-in-one membership to view. You don't even need an account anymore.
wait what

The PS3 app hasn't been updated and I don't know about PS4 since I don't have one.
Cool! I mostly use Hulu on my PS4/PS3 for my anime and Crunchyroll on my tablet because I have a free account. Hopefully it's the same on the PS4 so I can finally download the app.

Sorta off topic, but I've been watching Gundam Build Fighters Try (Gundam fan service anime). Shouldn't Bandai cash in on something like this? Make some sort of Gundam VS game where you can purchase amiibo/skylanders/infinity figures you can customize and put in game? I would so throw my money at such a thing.

Yeah, I know it's still niche, but I'm sure they'd sell like crazy in Japan and SEA. Or is Gundam on the decline and not as popular as I think it is?

Maybe they're only willing to go as far as promoting their GunPla.

So can someone with a PS4 confirm that Crunchyroll has updated to the full catalog for free members? Someone in the PSN thread said it hasn't. So it only updated for Vita? Strange.

I can confirm I logged out of my paid account and could set watch anime and drama going to cancel at the end of my year now! I can deal with ads :D

thanks for the info about crunchyroll. watched rwby and now I'm watching case closed.  lol at the white rhino commercial. Yeah like the average person on mother fricken free crunchyroll is going around buying white rhino products.  Ignoring the giant fact that its illegal and rare.  Now I want to buy an entire white rhino and keep it in my backyard/ride it to work.

Just got the plat on Demon Gaze. Really good game. If you've a Vita and have any interest in dungeon crawler's I'd consider it a must-play.
I had a blast with it. Both final bosses really made me go crazy, though. Weirdly enough, I found the Big Muramasa before finding the regular one. Awesome game overall.

I had a blast with it. Both final bosses really made me go crazy, though. Weirdly enough, I found the Big Muramasa before finding the regular one. Awesome game overall.
I also found Big Muramasa first. I just ran through doing 2 golds and 2 katanas in God's Eden. Took 2-3 runs to get both.

For the difficulty...I first ran into Lulu's end fight around 31. I got crushed, so decided to go ahead and start running through all of the dungeons to pick up the 1000 battles trophy and the skull and mushroom trophies. By the time I finished those I was around 34-35 and had upgraded my gear a bit. I also discovered the Assassin Cross Fix skill didn't just prevent movement (the description made it sound like that's all it did) but rather completely locks down an enemy for two turns. I crushed Lulu and Sol without either getting off a single attack. I slaughtered Aries on the first try as well.

Oddly enough the fight I had the most difficulty with was in God's Eden against Dark Pluto and Dark Pluto. My assassin's luck wasn't high enough to Cross Fix either reliably, and they kept swapping which was in front too quickly for me to kill one. Rather than trying to proceed further, I just kept going against the first four enemy sets in God's Eden while throwing out Nameless Gems. I leveled a bunch and got a ton of uniques to upgrade my gear considerably. Eventually I got to Quasar but was still a bit under-leveled, so I started focusing on Gold+Katana gems to get Muramasa and Big Muramasa. By the time I had both of those I'd leveled 2-3 more times and Quasar was the only trophy left. Knocked him out pretty easily; took probably 10 turns simply because of his health and his summoned creatures, but with Cross Fix I was able to keep him locked down the whole time.

I have to say...the story wasn't very developed, but the gameplay was fantastic. The auto-mapping, navigation, automatic attack repeats, the item set, the class system, the skill system, the monsters and level designs, the trophy list...across the board it was really, really good. Probably the only thing I would have changed is that the auto-movement couldn't handle stairs or rotators, and there's no auto-movement pause; if you have a fight and want to heal, you have to stop auto-movement, heal, and then re-set your destination to get going again. That's not too big a deal outside the stupid Endless Road dungeon which was tons of back and forth and up and down bullshit. It wasn't bad to play, but going back for the mushrooms and skulls was a pain.

Looking forward to ToHr next week now. :D/

The ad wasn't too bad, mine just froze on this part though.

tumblr_nennlvzHzV1tctta4o1_500.jpg

10609451_854039564640236_3766754938254631434_n.jpg

The grand finale of developer Gust's Atelier Dusk series will bring Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (PS3) on 13 March 2015 across Europe (10 March 2015 for North America) and Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk (PS Vita) on 14 January 2015 in Europe (13 January 2015 for North America).

The grand finale of developer Gust's Atelier Dusk series will bring Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (PS3) on 13 March 2015 across Europe (10 March 2015 for North America) and Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk (PS Vita) on 14 January 2015 in Europe (13 January 2015 for North America).
Sweet on Ayesha plus...hopefully later in the year we also get Escha & Logy Plus. I don't buy them on my PS3 anymore since i've become behind on them, so it's nice to get the plus version later although I hate that they are not physical versions. Boo too Vita memory prices!

Awesome for Ayesha.

These games are just so much better on the Vita.

Sweet on Ayesha plus...hopefully later in the year we also get Escha & Logy Plus. I don't buy them on my PS3 anymore since i've become behind on them, so it's nice to get the plus version later although I hate that they are not physical versions. Boo too Vita memory prices!
Was it confirmed they are digital only? Gust handled all of the Arland Plus Vita versions, so I was really hoping KT would break this trend for the new Atelier trilogy and release them physically in the US. It's becoming really hard to justify buying the PS3 version when I know it won't be the complete experience, but I really hate this digital-only stuff.

Was it confirmed they are digital only? I think NISA handled all of the Arland Plus Vita versions, so I was really hoping KT would break this trend for the new Atelier trilogy and release them physically in the US. It's becoming really hard to justify buying the PS3 version when I know it won't be the complete experience, but I really hate this digital-only stuff.
Didn't Koei-Tecmo handle Rorona Plus's Vita version?

Yeah, that Kingdom Hearts 2.5 CE is cool looking but I realize that I just want the steelbook.  I won't pay $100 for this CE that doesn't include an OST and has a dumb stuffed animal instead. 

It's always frustrating when companies try to sell their supporters repackaged things they just recently purchased.  This CE offers little value. 

NISA didn't have anything to do with the Vita ports
Ohh that's true, they just published. My bad. I guess I meant Gust was the initially developer, and now that KT took over, I was hoping they would change things up. Oops.

I really don't understand why so many people are bothered by the Vita memory prices. Sure, it's an added expense...but they're more expensive than SD cards because Sony has to create proprietary cards ($$$) in order to prevent piracy. They're good for the longevity and viability of the system and I completely agree with Sony doing it. They're also not that much more expensive than normal SD cards (2x) considering the very niche nature of the product and the subsequent lower salves volume.

I really don't understand why so many people are bothered by the Vita memory prices. Sure, it's an added expense...but they're more expensive than SD cards because Sony has to create proprietary cards ($$$) in order to prevent piracy. They're good for the longevity and viability of the system and I completely agree with Sony doing it. They're also not that much more expensive than normal SD cards (2x) considering the very niche nature of the product and the subsequent lower salves volume.
It's mostly the price difference like you just mentioned. I purchased a 128GB Micro SDXC for less than my 64GB Vita MC.

It's a sale price, but an example can be a 64GB Micro SDXC for $28.99 ($22.99 AR). While you will most likely still have to spend $85+ for a 64GB Vita MC.

There's no actual benefit to the consumer whatsoever. Remember that the 3DS is still unpirateable for most intents and purposes (nothing on the lines of r4 card at least) and they still use micro sd cards. What we have with the Vita memory card is Sony telling us that in order to better protect THEM, they're going to sell us an overpriced memory card that they're going to make more money off of (high merchandise margin for sure since they own the entire thing and more or less control price).

That's the heart of the issue, we're subsidizing Sony's anti-consumer crusade on the Vita with no benefit to us. Just look at it, we can't tie more than one account to the card without formatting the damn thing and we can't use it for anything else other than the Vita. That you can't justify.

Oh yeah, and 2x price is ridiculous for memory man, even at lower volumes Sony should reap a higher margin on them.

First, piracy is a complete strawman arguement. Sony did not put in proprietary memory cards to prevent piracy. They did it beacuse they are greedy as hell and wanted to gouge you as much as possible for their own BS memory choices. The SD cards are ridiculously cheaper, and there is no good reason that I should be paying 2-3x for their proprietary memory cards, other than they want to soak us as much as possible.

There's no actual benefit to the consumer whatsoever. Remember that the 3DS is still unpirateable for most intents and purposes (nothing on the lines of r4 card at least) and they still use micro sd cards. What we have with the Vita memory card is Sony telling us that in order to better protect THEM, they're going to sell us an overpriced memory card that they're going to make more money off of (high merchandise margin for sure since they own the entire thing and more or less control price).

That's the heart of the issue, we're subsidizing Sony's anti-consumer crusade on the Vita with no benefit to us. Just look at it, we can't tie more than one account to the card without formatting the damn thing and we can't use it for anything else other than the Vita. That you can't justify.

Oh yeah, and 2x price is ridiculous for memory man, even at lower volumes Sony should reap a higher margin on them.
so you are ignoring the gateway flash cart?

so you are ignoring the gateway flash cart?
No I didn't mention that form of piracy would have happened even if Nintendo some proprietary memory card. Besides, if I really wanted to drive it home, I'd mention how you can hack the psp mode through certain games.... despite all the data being done on the expensive vita memory card.

I look forward to the day that Nintendo makes their products region free. They are thinking about it. Of course, that's just wishiful thinking.

No I didn't mention that form of piracy would have happened even if Nintendo some proprietary memory card. Besides, if I really wanted to drive it home, I'd mention how you can hack the psp mode through certain games.... despite all the data being done on the expensive vita memory card.
The PSP mode doesn't expose the system to native hacking, though, so no Vita piracy is possible. At best you're able to pirate the Vita like you could a PSP, with the same limitations that the PSP had. Meaning you can't take advantage of the higher resolution or performance on the Vita at all. While the PSP piracy and the ability to use some emulators or homebrews is useful, it doesn't really hurt Vita sales at all which is what my point was about the anti-piracy attempt of the memory cards.

People are bothered about it because Sony didn't just use an existing format to keep prices down. SD/MicroSD would have worked just fine. The 3DS uses SD cards, and it's not in some state of peril because of it. It's basically the same as overly intrusive DRM on PC. Pirates will still do their thing, and the consumers that purchase the products are the ones to suffer. It's nonsense to defend their decision.

People are bothered about it because Sony didn't just use an existing format to keep prices down. SD/MicroSD would have worked just fine. The 3DS uses SD cards, and it's not in some state of peril because of it. It's basically the same as overly intrusive DRM on PC. Pirates will still do their thing, and the consumers that purchase the products are the ones to suffer. It's nonsense to defend their decision.

The PSP mode doesn't expose the system to native hacking, though, so no Vita piracy is possible. At best you're able to pirate the Vita like you could a PSP, with the same limitations that the PSP had. Meaning you can't take advantage of the higher resolution or performance on the Vita at all. While the PSP piracy and the ability to use some emulators or homebrews is useful, it doesn't really hurt Vita sales at all which is what my point was about the anti-piracy attempt of the memory cards.
That's something the memory card should be able to prevent if there was actually any anti-piracy stuff in there. You hack the psp mode of the vita by tricking the OS into thinking your running a signed program when your not, that's kinda what can be prevented on the memory stick level. If the Vita memory card can't tell that its sending unsigned programs to the OS, there's nothing stopping it from loading up a CFW other than issues with the Vita OS itself. You are right though, emulator piracy hasn't really hurt the vita sales at all, more likely the $100 memory cards that did it in.

It's more like 3x.

I look forward to the day that Nintendo makes their products region free. They are thinking about it. Of course, that's just wishiful thinking.
of course and saying they would be for it but its always been requested from sellers is crap pushing the blame on everyone else instead of owning up to the fact your the one who mandates region locking, really hating iwata more and more, only in it for himself and so push more ice climbers and what not to keep the forever collecting royalities for life, cant remember the title but he ripped off some japanese developer for some part in a game to claim it for himself to add to his royalities list

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I really wish that somebody would find a way to make a Mini/Micro SD adapter for the Vita.
you would think their would be one out their all ready, as far as i know its just like the 3ds games with the extra tab that sticks out to tell the system what it is and has no real function other than that, the problem is its so close to the real microsd card size that it would be hard to make an adatper thin enough to go around the micro card

The vita memory card price does suck. I wouldn't mind if it was $10 more on average than a regular microsd but dam its almost triple!

And yea the 3DS has been hacked. You can play multiple 3DS roms & even go online.

I am tempted by the KH CE especially since I don't have 1.5 & I love that steel book case. Don't know why ppl care about OSTs. Id rather have a plush or hardcover lengthy artbook. I can just rip the ost if I wanted to put it on cloud.

lol you make it sound like they're doing us a service. These cards are listed at hundreds of a percent markup margin. Sony could sell them much cheaper and still turn a profit. But no, they use proprietary cards simply to make more money. It's just like Apple products and their chargers.

lol you make it sound like they're doing us a service. These cards are listed at hundreds of a percent markup margin. Sony could sell them much cheaper and still turn a profit. But no, they use proprietary cards simply to make more money. It's just like Apple products and their chargers.
Apple chargers are not that bad actually.

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

Is the Apple charger worth the price?
Apple's charger is expensive compared to other chargers, but is a high quality product. You should definitely stay away from the cheap counterfeit chargers, as they are low quality and dangerous. Non-Apple name brand chargers are generally good quality according to my tests with some better than Apple. If you want to get an Apple charger without the high price, the best way I've found is to buy a used one on eBay from a US source. I've bought several for testing, and they have always been genuine.

Went in to Gamestop to see if they had any of the games you guys posted earlier, but they didn't have any used copies.

Instead they only had new copies of Atelier Rorona Plus, Mugen Souls Z, and Hyperdimension Neptunia Producing Perfection. Since I felt that Rorona was too expensive and wasn't very interested in playing Mugen Souls Z, I decided to get Hyperdimension Neptunia PP despite not having a Vita or a PSTV yet.

Sorta off topic, but I've been watching Gundam Build Fighters Try (Gundam fan service anime). Shouldn't Bandai cash in on something like this? Make some sort of Gundam VS game where you can purchase amiibo/skylanders/infinity figures you can customize and put in game? I would so throw my money at such a thing.

Yeah, I know it's still niche, but I'm sure they'd sell like crazy in Japan and SEA. Or is Gundam on the decline and not as popular as I think it is?

Maybe they're only willing to go as far as promoting their GunPla.
That would require a lot of developing on their part. Gundam games aren't that great anyway, not like a game on build fighters would be much different. I do love build fighters though. Best stuff out of the UC.

Amazon hasn't bit on my Escha&Logy pm to gamestop. If anyone has the time, couldja help a brutha out by submitting a pm on amazon? Here's the gamestop page.

That would require a lot of developing on their part. Gundam games aren't that great anyway, not like a game on build fighters would be much different. I do love build fighters though. Best stuff out of the UC.
The closest thing to making your own Gunpla is Gundam Breaker and its sequel. They probably are already cashing in on the Model Kits

The only thing similar to Skylanders developed by Japan (other than Nintendo) is the Kamen Rider Game they're releasing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I really wish that somebody would find a way to make a Mini/Micro SD adapter for the Vita.
omg this. I don't really need a big memory card since I don't buy digital games for it but If I ever wanted to itd be nice to have the option without deleting stuff off my vita and moving it to the ps3 and such.

anyone know if the sku/UPC for Persona 4 arena ultramax is the same for that first print run with the punching bag and cards as it is for the later regular copies? Simple enough to check if anyone has opened theirs. is the UPC on the outer package the same as the UPC for the game?

omg this. I don't really need a big memory card since I don't buy digital games for it but If I ever wanted to itd be nice to have the option without deleting stuff off my vita and moving it to the ps3 and such.
exactly why i got a 64, can keep more ps plus games on their, i dont buy digital either but when i have the physical copy and the digital goes on sale for 5-8$ i usually bite since i can trade the physical in for more so win win, though some of them i havent or wont go back to did help towards better purchases, biggest regret though, giving in the hype for sao, first full price purchase for digital, hate the game, cant play it, wish sony didnt werent such dicks about refunding, at least microsoft is usually cool enough to just credit your account

anyone know if the sku/UPC for Persona 4 arena ultramax is the same for that first print run with the punching bag and cards as it is for the later regular copies? Simple enough to check if anyone has opened theirs. is the UPC on the outer package the same as the UPC for the game?
Yes, it's the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back