Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some Vita game price changes at GS:

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc $40 $30

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair $40 $30

Demon Gaze $40 $30

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited $40 $30

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 $40 $30

Whoops. Meant to post this here, put it in another thread instead:

Type-0 really does look pretty interesting. I just wish they'd put more effort into upgrading it for the HD version. Watching the PSP videos, both cut-scene and gameplay, shows the "HD" version is just re-rendered at 1080p. I don't see any significant texture improvements. The only changes I can find for PSP to HD are that they cut the multiplayer out and that there were some balance tweaks and a difficulty setting added. Not sure if there are any other differences between the two versions, but charging full price for a barebones port is pretty shitty.

PSP version rendered at 1080p in PPSSPP emulator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xER5ejpDbAo

"HD" version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1VJXes4nI

PPSSPP has the typical problem of the UI not looking correct at the higher resolution, but otherwise do you guys think the HD video looks better? To me the HD version looks blurry and muddled.

Some Vita game price changes at GS:

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc $40 $30

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair $40 $30

Demon Gaze $40 $30

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited $40 $30

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 $40 $30
I don't think those are new. I recall seeing them weeks ago at those prices.

I don't think those are new. I recall seeing them weeks ago at those prices.
Weren't those sale prices, though? A GS employee just posted on Reddit that he noticed the flip. Amazon lists all those games as $40 for their normal prices still.

Though actually I just looked over the list and Daganronpa 2 and Re;Birth do show the $30 as being sale prices. The other three appear to be normal pricing, though.

Also Kingdom Hearts 2.5 will be 29.99 post christmas, so with $5 coupon it would be 24.99. Pretty close to a $20 price standpoint. But I hope bestbuy matches that price(not pricematch) so I can use my giftcards, certs. And GCU 😇

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is getting a DLC song-pack with Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger tracks (only announced for Japan...so far?): http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/20/chrono-trigger-secret-mana-tracks-coming-theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call/

Please, Squeenix, bring this over here. PLEASE :pray:
Nice, hopefully the put out more than just one track from Chrono Trigger after this.

On an unrelated note, has anyone who's played Persona Q also played any of the Etrian Odyssey games? I have EO2 and EO Untold in my backlog, but I want to play Q as Persona is one of my favorite series. My concern is that if I play Q before the other two games, I won't be able to go back and play them as they may be lacking in some new features that were introduced in Q.

As an generic example, I wouldn't want to play Disgaea 5 before playing Disgaea 4 because as I'm playing 4 I would be upset to find various gameplay improvements missing that were implemented in 5 which would make the game unenjoyable to play.

I would appreciate it if anyone who's played Q and the EO games could share their opinions on the matter. Thanks!

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is getting a DLC song-pack with Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger tracks (only announced for Japan...so far?): http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/20/chrono-trigger-secret-mana-tracks-coming-theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call/

Please, Squeenix, bring this over here. PLEASE :pray:
This is actually one of those "Take my money!" moments. I just bought Secret of Mana for $3.99 on the Google Play store yesterday. It runs really well.

On an unrelated note, has anyone who's played Persona Q also played any of the Etrian Odyssey games? I have EO2 and EO Untold in my backlog, but I want to play Q as Persona is one of my favorite series. My concern is that if I play Q before the other two games, I won't be able to go back and play them as they may be lacking in some new features that were introduced in Q.
As an generic example, I wouldn't want to play Disgaea 5 before playing Disgaea 4 because as I'm playing 4 I would be upset to find various gameplay improvements missing that were implemented in 5 which would make the game unenjoyable to play.

I would appreciate it if anyone who's played Q and the EO games could share their opinions on the matter. Thanks!
Ah, so, me. I didn't play Millenium Girl, but I played 1-4.

They streamlined the icons in Q. There's a shortcut icon that automatically updates the shortcut directions, instead of you manually having to put down arrows. The chest icon also changes to open, once you open it. This is just a minor convenience, though I don't like that you can basically use it to cheat and figure out where shortcuts are before you get there on the map.

They added colors, so you can make locked chests red, as an example of what I do. But it doesn't add a whole lot.

There's an auto-wall option, so you don't have to focus on map making as much. It also projects walls in your field of view on the map, so you can make less mistakes. I have it turned it on. I would miss it not being in EO, but at the same time, map making is more of the focus in EO.

Shortcuts (so far) aren't hidden. They're clearly marked, and you can also hear them when you're near. It makes finding shortcuts less tedious. Not a big deal if you use online maps (which I don't).

They added a sell-all materials option, which saves a little bit of time. Useful, but not vital.

They added a % of floor mapped, and an incentive to map 100%. Not vital, but nice to know.

The only downside is that they grouped icons together. So if you want to place a treasure chest, then a door, then a treasure chest, it'll take like 6-12 inputs, versus 3 inputs in EO.

I would also like to add that I think the EO games and persona Q are different experiences. PQ uses a battle and leveling system more like the other Persona games. It doesn't offer the same level of character customization as EO and the battles aren't quite as life or death. You should be okay to play PQ first. It's my GOTY.

Bought Senran kagura Let's Get Physical edition, xblaze, and freedom war for a total of 70$ good deal? Looking forward to senran the most, heard mixed reviews about freedom wars.

Bought Senran kagura Let's Get Physical edition, xblaze, and freedom war for a total of 70$ good deal? Looking forward to senran the most, heard mixed reviews about freedom wars.
Well freedom wars is gonna be $15 at gamestop after christmas and $10 if you use a kongregate coupon.

It doesn't hold the air. It's a common problem with these things....I'm likely tossing mine out. It is holding the water well at the least.
I'd probably look for vinyl repair kit (like for[SIZE=13.63636302948px] inflatable [/SIZE]pool equipment). If you are unsure where the leak is, use a spray bottle with soapy water.

Got my Caladrius Blaze in from the Play Asia sale and I enjoyed the little bit of it I got a chance to play today. Seemed pretty standard fare for a shmup but that's not really a bad thing. Hope to play it some more tomorrow. I'm actually really surprised how fast it got here. 5 days? My orders from Play Asia usually take a month plus. No wonder they charged for shipping. Worth it so I could finally upgrade my Vita memory card to the 64GB I ordered with Caladrius.

This is like sub-Hentai Flash Game shit right here. Who is this made for?

(meanwhile I bought Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth, was always interested in the concept but never got around to trying the series)
I finally gave Hyperdimension Neptunia MK2 a try and really do enjoy the series. They're a fun series with funny little skits here and there. I do like what they've done with the RE;Birth games and I'm excited to play Re;Birth 2 when it comes out.

This is actually one of those "Take my money!" moments. I just bought Secret of Mana for $3.99 on the Google Play store yesterday. It runs really well.

Ah, so, me. I didn't play Millenium Girl, but I played 1-4.

They streamlined the icons in Q. There's a shortcut icon that automatically updates the shortcut directions, instead of you manually having to put down arrows. The chest icon also changes to open, once you open it. This is just a minor convenience, though I don't like that you can basically use it to cheat and figure out where shortcuts are before you get there on the map.

They added colors, so you can make locked chests red, as an example of what I do. But it doesn't add a whole lot.

There's an auto-wall option, so you don't have to focus on map making as much. It also projects walls in your field of view on the map, so you can make less mistakes. I have it turned it on. I would miss it not being in EO, but at the same time, map making is more of the focus in EO.

Shortcuts (so far) aren't hidden. They're clearly marked, and you can also hear them when you're near. It makes finding shortcuts less tedious. Not a big deal if you use online maps (which I don't).

They added a sell-all materials option, which saves a little bit of time. Useful, but not vital.

They added a % of floor mapped, and an incentive to map 100%. Not vital, but nice to know.

The only downside is that they grouped icons together. So if you want to place a treasure chest, then a door, then a treasure chest, it'll take like 6-12 inputs, versus 3 inputs in EO.

I would also like to add that I think the EO games and persona Q are different experiences. PQ uses a battle and leveling system more like the other Persona games. It doesn't offer the same level of character customization as EO and the battles aren't quite as life or death. You should be okay to play PQ first. It's my GOTY.

Persona Q is much easier than the regular Etrian Odyssey games. However, there is a 'risky' difficulty to satisfy the EO vets.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Guess I can indulge and play Q without worry of it spoiling me for when I finally get around to playing EQ :)

Debated cancelling my Criminal Girls reserve after seeing how bad the punish trailer was. I then looked at my Neptunia PP LE and figured I spent money on worse crap~ lol

Debated cancelling my Criminal Girls reserve after seeing how bad the punish trailer was. I then looked at my Neptunia PP LE and figured I spent money on worse crap~ lol
Just import it, it seems most people just want it for the lewd anyways

hey guys

So I searched back 20 pages and didn't find anything on this. Amazon has P4A Ultimax on sale for $25. I was wondering if anyone ordered it and it came with the tarot cards?

Thanks
I ordered a copy when it first dropped to $29.99 and it had the text about including the bonus items - received just the game.
I re-ordered it when it dropped to $24.99 & the bonus item text had been removed from the product page (I returned the $29.99 one) and it did include the bonus items! :D

Is shinovi versus worth it for $40 with GCU at best buy?

Otherwise I'm thinking about disgaea 3 or 4
I have D3/4 & Senran, but I would advise you to purchase Disgaea 4 over the other two. SK gets old fast (not quite as good as Dynasty Warriors 8XL or WO3U IMO), so I feel Disgaea would be the best choice. The only reason I don't suggest D3 is because D4 improves upon the mechanics in D3 which makes it a better game.

I have the same thoughts whenever I peruse over my collections. My Neptunia PP LE is still in the sealed plastic and it might stay there. Perhaps I'll get it when it goes down to $5 on PSN, lol. Of course, I also own the Mugan Souls LE...

Thoughts on Drakengard 3 for $15 at gamestop after kongregate coupon? I hear conflicting thoughts on it.
Probably because it's a technical mess with that Unreal engine. Unlike other games, D3 has a lot of slowdowns during fights, which hasn't been fixed by the patch from awhile ago. I thought the story was good, but it's hard to look past the frame drops that occur more frequently when too many enemies appear. Also there's a lot of grinding since you must purchase all weapons to reach one of the story lines later on. I bought it for 19.99 and thought it was worth the price, definitely wouldn't pay $60 for this...

Probably because it's a technical mess with that Unreal engine. Unlike other games, D3 has a lot of slowdowns during fights, which hasn't been fixed by the patch from awhile ago. I thought the story was good, but it's hard to look past the frame drops that occur more frequently when too many enemies appear. Also there's a lot of grinding since you must purchase all weapons to reach one of the story lines later on. I bought it for 19.99 and thought it was worth the price, definitely wouldn't pay $60 for this...
yah idid better and rented this, slowdowns, bad camera angles, freezes, when this game was never fixed in japan, you knew their was problems, i think it took me 7-8 resets towards one of the end fights to finally get through it, stopped after the first story line, couldnt take it, no reason to support companies with crappy products regardless of how cheap it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back