Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that would've been a good decision. Do they have 8GB Vita carts yet?

ALSO: For those who don't know, Time and Eternity's music was composed by the mother fuckin man himself Yuzo Koshiro.

That alone is reason enough to buy the soundtrack at least for many and reason enough to buy the game for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs0gvCKoe9Q

[quote name='SEGAMew']This may be a bit random but it's been bugging me for at least a month now. How do I add coupon codes to my Play-Asia orders?[/QUOTE]
There's a box to enter it when you go through checkout. Not when you view your cart but when you hit the next screen. However, it won't show up if your purchase isn't eligible to have coupons used on it, and weekly/daily deals are excluded from coupons, so if you've been buying those that's probably why. (I believe having one of those items in your cart at all stops you from being able to use coupons, but it might be just that you need $60 of non-deal items.)

[quote name='Vigilante']Bleh, if Atelier Ayesha is any indication, this will be dub-only. :cry:[/QUOTE]

There are matters beyond our control.

Diminishing returns versus costs. I'm sure if more people bought the Arland trilogy they could justify the cost probably.

It's probably cheaper to produce a Dub than license the Japanese track.(Stupid and insane)

But also: The Vita doesn't have enough space on a 4GB card for Dual Audio. Unless it' was heavily compressed and had a lower sample rate possibly.

[quote name='MrBonk']There are matters beyond our control.

Diminishing returns versus costs. I'm sure if more people bought the Arland trilogy they could justify the cost probably.

It's probably cheaper to produce a Dub than license the Japanese track.(Stupid and insane)

But also: The Vita doesn't have enough space on a 4GB card for Dual Audio. Unless it' was heavily compressed and had a lower sample rate possibly.[/QUOTE]

>>>Virtue's Last Reward
>>>English AND Japanese Audio

And that game has a shit load of audio lol.

It's possible, but not worth it due to the licensing and costs for MOST companies.

Atelier Totori Plus looks interesting

[quote name='storino03']I don't understand why they are localising a game that's the second in the trilogy and not start with the first? Doesn't make any sense...[/QUOTE]

Because they never made Rorona Plus in Japan for some reason.

[quote name='DarkMario616']>>>Virtue's Last Reward
>>>English AND Japanese Audio

And that game has a shit load of audio lol. [/QUOTE]
True that VLR has lots of audio in two languages, but it also doesn't have much else taking up space. There are only a handful of environments, a dozen or so character models, etc. Meanwhile, isn't Totori a pretty content-packed RPG?

[quote name='worrybomb']The bad news: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP isn't coming to the west, vague explanation and all.
The good news: The PS One Classic of P2: EP will be released on the Playstation Store tomorrow for $9.99[/QUOTE]

I'll settle for the PS1 version. I remember when Gamestop sold reprints of the game and at the time I couldn't even afford the $30 price tag.

That along with Breath of Fire 4 on the PS1. I think it is time I bought both of them, even if it means the digital versions, just because that's all I can afford at the moment.

It is a shame that the PSP version couldn't be released. I would buy the digital version just to finish off my PSP Persona collection.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Looks like I'll be waiting until Toki to Towa gets pretty cheap before pulling the trigger.[/QUOTE]

If it was cell-shaded , it could have been so much better...

Just checkout PSN this week and saw Atelier Ayesha - Full Game - $49.99 in the "New on PS3" section. Didn't try to buy it since I have it ordered on amazon.

Edit: Just checked it out and its just the preorder.

[quote name='cgxcswim']Just checkout PSN this week and saw Atelier Ayesha - Full Game - $49.99 in the "New on PS3" section. Didn't try to buy it since I have it ordered on amazon.

Edit: Just checked it out and its just the preorder.[/QUOTE]

Huh, interesting. Good to see that at least it's going to be available digitally, as opposed to the previous trilogy. :)

Does anyone know if there's anything that's going to be removed from the PS Store soon/already has been removed recently? I thought I read somewhere mentioning a Vita/PSP title (maybe an RPG? Not sure) going away so they dropped the price. On a related note, is there anywhere I can look that keeps track of things removed from the store? Thanks.

[quote name='Talgrund']Is Unchained Blades good? Might the use the credit I got from Sony to help pay for it.[/QUOTE]

I only played the first few chapters but I enjoyed what I played. It's a character-driven dungeon crawler with great music.

[quote name='orcishlad']I only played the first few chapters but I enjoyed what I played. It's a character-driven dungeon crawler with great music.[/QUOTE]

Music by Nobuo Uematsu (of Final Fantasy fame).

[quote name='Talgrund']Is Unchained Blades good? Might the use the credit I got from Sony to help pay for it.[/QUOTE]

It's good. Not as hard as Etrian Odyssey. Just know that the hardest chapter, by far, is chapter 3. It took me one try, but a lot of people on forums gave up at that point. Chapter 3 is maybe 20% point, so it peaks early. Some people also hated one of the characters for liking someone who seems young, despite the facts that I won't go into cause of spoilers.

I plan on picking up Unchained Blades. The trailer looked nice and I don't see it going on sale again anytime soon.

Crimson Gem Saga is a total dud though. Combat is slow and boring and random encounters are too frequent.

If I purchase DLC from Japan PSN for my Japanese game, can I use said DLC while playing on my US account? I've been under the impression that it varies on a game-to-game basis or would it just not work at all?

[quote name='worrybomb']Quite a few niche games are on sale over at the Playstation Store:

The PS One Classic of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is also released on the PS Store. Currently, the game is PS3 and PSP compatible (via PS3 transfer) but not PS Vita compatible. Atlus US is looking to fix that soon.[/QUOTE]

paid 30 for unchain blades on 3ds and worth every penny 60+ hour game

[quote name='Kotomine']If I purchase DLC from Japan PSN for my Japanese game, can I use said DLC while playing on my US account? I've been under the impression that it varies on a game-to-game basis or would it just not work at all?[/QUOTE]

I believe it will work because you have the Japanese game. Using a EU PSN code (for like dlc or something--just using a EU/US thing as an example) will not work with a US copy of the game. You need to use the code--or buy the dlc--on the account for the appropriate region, no matter what. What determines if it will work or not, is the region of the game you have. That's my understanding, at least; please correct me if I am wrong.

[quote name='Zaku77']I believe it will work because you have the Japanese game. Using a EU PSN code (for like dlc or something--just using a EU/US thing as an example) will not work with a US copy of the game. You need to use the code--or buy the dlc--on the account for the appropriate region, no matter what. What determines if it will work or not, is the region of the game you have. That's my understanding, at least; please correct me if I am wrong.[/QUOTE]

This sounds correct. I used a pre-order Bayonetta code and downloaded the DLC for the JP version of Max Anarchy. Then I switched to my US account and it worked fine.

The only time I've run into issues is with PSP/Vita demos. I downloaded them onto my PS3, then tried to transfer them onto my Vita (with my US account) and it will say something along the lines of "this game is owned by a different account."

[quote name='Zaku77']I believe it will work because you have the Japanese game. Using a EU PSN code (for like dlc or something--just using a EU/US thing as an example) will not work with a US copy of the game. You need to use the code--or buy the dlc--on the account for the appropriate region, no matter what. What determines if it will work or not, is the region of the game you have. That's my understanding, at least; please correct me if I am wrong.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='barrit']This sounds correct. I used a pre-order Bayonetta code and downloaded the DLC for the JP version of Max Anarchy. Then I switched to my US account and it worked fine.

The only time I've run into issues is with PSP/Vita demos. I downloaded them onto my PS3, then tried to transfer them onto my Vita (with my US account) and it will say something along the lines of "this game is owned by a different account."

[quote name='worrybomb']Quite a few niche games are on sale over at the Playstation Store:

The PS One Classic of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is also released on the PS Store. Currently, the game is PS3 and PSP compatible (via PS3 transfer) but not PS Vita compatible. Atlus US is looking to fix that soon.[/QUOTE]

Oh snap! Thanks for the HU on Trine 2!

Is there a reason why Ayesha didn't get a CE? I just realized the game comes out next week and was kinda surprised that there's no CE, seeing as how all the other PS3 Atelier games got CEs.

[quote name='Vinny']Is there a reason why Ayesha didn't get a CE? I just realized the game comes out next week and was kinda surprised that there's no CE, seeing as how all the other PS3 Atelier games got CEs.[/QUOTE]

It is because Tecmo Koei bought GUST so it would have been up to them to make a CE and not NISA like the other Atelier games.

[quote name='Vinny']Is there a reason why Ayesha didn't get a CE? I just realized the game comes out next week and was kinda surprised that there's no CE, seeing as how all the other PS3 Atelier games got CEs.[/QUOTE]

Guess they were worried about sales, or just got lazy. Only reason I'm getting it is because I had so much credit to burn at GS, and I already have the other 3 games

And what cgx said, completely forgot about Tecmo buying them

[quote name='dgwillia006']Guess they were worried about sales, or just got lazy. Only reason I'm getting it is because I had so much credit to burn at GS, and I already have the other 3 games

And what cgx said, completely forgot about Tecmo buying them[/QUOTE]

I'm bummed that there was no LE release. I've always been impressed with NiS America's LEs, and this one can't sit awesomely next to the Arland Trilogy LEs :(

Probably the same reason they removed Japanese voices and only did a half-ass job with the English voices: it's cheap and lazy.

[quote name='punkmaggit']I'm bummed that there was no LE release. I've always been impressed with NiS America's LEs, and this one can't sit awesomely next to the Arland Trilogy LEs :([/QUOTE]

Yeah same, only one I missed so far was the MK2 which I regret deeply (And will buy one day soon). Would have brought one for this in a heartbeat, especially since I ordered Victory's LE too.

[quote name='cgxcswim']It is because Tecmo Koei bought GUST so it would have been up to them to make a CE and not NISA like the other Atelier games.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know that. That sucks...

XSeed has released their first Android game - Ark of The Ages. From the trailer, it looks like a dungeon crawler with first-person action battles. I haven't seen any reviews yet, but it's hard to go wrong for $2.

[quote name='Vinny']I didn't even know that. That sucks...[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Actually, I'm surprised that they didn't go the digital route and just release the game on the PSN. (Man I hope they're not getting any ideas.)

[quote name='Zbornak']XSeed has released their first Android game - Ark of The Ages. From the trailer, it looks like a dungeon crawler with first-person action battles. I haven't seen any reviews yet, but it's hard to go wrong for $2.[/QUOTE]

Just bought it (because it's Xseed and only 2 bucks). I'm getting "Login Error". :cry: Anyone else buy it yet?

*UPDATE*
I tried playing on my Nexus 7, and I didn't get the error.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SEGAMew']Aaaaarg I have to wait longer for Victory? D;[/QUOTE]

Arghh! Yeah, we do. :p

It helps my wallet though, so the minor delay isn't too bad. :D

I haven't played the game myself yet, but according to the reviews Ark of The Ages is full of in-app payments, even though it's not free to start with. I guess I'll wait for some professional reviews to see just how bad the IAPs are.

Figured I'd just post this here.

A Raidou action figure is being made and can be pre-ordered:

http://www.destructoid.com/devil-summoner-raidou-kuzunoha-is-now-an-action-figure-247486.phtml

D-ArtsRaidou4-noscale.jpg

Glad I did not get around to buy DS 2.

I pre-ordered the Raidou figure from Amiami during a brief window of availability. On top of the many fogmas, Amiami keeps getting more of my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back