Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just confirmed by Nintendo.

Buy Fire Emblem Awakening and SMT IV, register through Club Nintendo and get $30 in Free eshop cash.

It's on the official 3DS facebook page and Atlus (well a pic confirming it). All I have to say is a big hell yes.

Woo! Already got fire emblem and SMT IV is coming from amazon.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Limited Edition Announced for PS3

ffx_hd_le.jpg

Includes a 24-page art book package, with artwork from the PS2 era, and commentary by the X and X-2 development teams.

The limited edition will also feature a “special message” of some sort by producer Yoshinori Kitase

Looks like I'm keeping my preorder of FFX/X-2.  Does it apply to existing preorders as well?  Doesn't look like there's an announcement for which stores will carry it.  I hope it doesn't end up like Newegg and Project x Zone.

EDIT:

Looks like Amazon updated their page and now it says "LE."  My order title hasn't changed yet.

Looks like I'm keeping my preorder of FFX/X-2. Does it apply to existing preorders as well? Doesn't look like there's an announcement for which stores will carry it. I hope it doesn't end up like Newegg and Project x Zone.

EDIT:

Looks like Amazon updated their page and now it says "LE." My order title hasn't changed yet.
Neither has mine but chances are that you'll get the LE version.

Definitely a lot more tempting now. That packaging looks really nice... I'm glad they didn't go with their typical "all white like how rappers dressed a few years back" look.

FFX/2 pre-order just got much more tempting!!!  I'm still contemplating whether or not to ditch my ps2 copies... no sense in keeping the SD when HD is available right???

Goddammit, I don't like how the set up the D2 Limited Editions at all.

I want the strategy guide and not the figurines, yet even the lower tier has the figurines :(

Gonna wait a day or two and see if it'll pop up on Amazon or if these are NIS Store exclusives.

Curious if the guide can be bought separately too.

Gamestop has a listing for Final Fantasy X-X2 for the ps3, but it also says "Exclusive Concept Artbook Packaging!".  I just hope they dont screw up that black cover, its awesome.

So Disgaea D2 premium is NIS exclusive then. I guess that means it won't end up ridiculously cheap like D4 premium did? What about the strategy guide? It says it's hardcover but will it be available outside the bundle? 

Disgaea 1 is easily in my top 5 all time games so I think I'd be willing to drop the cash on this if it actually is limited but it can't hurt to ask. I know Disgaea is their cash cow series so they'll probably be making more of these than most of their other LE's too.

October, eh? Don't currently have anything preordered for that month.

I'll be picking up the $85 version. Never cared for strategy guides. Waste of space and money, IMO.

I noticed the D2 guide is up on Amazon, it's a hardcover Prima guide listed at $35 MSRP (doesn't look like there's a paperback version.)

Personally I'm in for the cheaper premium ed., guides go on sale for cheap all the time (remember Ni no Kuni and Dark Souls?) but I will admit the $105 bundle is a decent deal as it is if you want it.

Not a bad Disgaea set. The spendy one just comes with the guide. I wonder if it will be a pack in along with the $85 version or if it will be a different, bigger box.

I posted this as a blog but I figure you guys would be the best to help me out.

Here I am again, trying to get rid of games I haven't played yet.  For some reason, I've become enamored with JRPGs, even though when I actually play them, I get pretty bored, so I'm thinking about getting rid of some.  I want to know which are definite must plays/great games.  I don't want mediocre or something like "Well, the game was boring and the story sucked, but there was a cool combat scene once so I'd give it a whirl."  If it's not a wonderful game, I want it out, here's the list:

Ar Tonelico Qoga

Atelier Rorona

Atelier Totori

Atelier Meruru

Mugen Souls

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Trinity Universe

Thanks for your help.

I think the Disgaea D2 set will be packaged same as how the Mugen Souls was.

One box with the game, artbook, and CD. Another box for the figures and art cards.

The hard cover guide will probably be separate on its own.

I just hope it's packaged well or else the weight of the guide might crush the game/figure boxes.

If you're worried about crushed items, get the one without the strategy guide and buy the strategy guide from somewhere else separately.

The strategy guide isn't NIS exclusive but the figures/art cards are and it will probably sell out quick so don't hesitate to buy it if you want those bonuses.

Here I am again, trying to get rid of games I haven't played yet. For some reason, I've become enamored with JRPGs, even though when I actually play them, I get pretty bored, so I'm thinking about getting rid of some. I want to know which are definite must plays/great games. I don't want mediocre or something like "Well, the game was boring and the story sucked, but there was a cool combat scene once so I'd give it a whirl." If it's not a wonderful game, I want it out, here's the list:

Ar Tonelico Qoga

Atelier Rorona

Atelier Totori

Atelier Meruru

Mugen Souls

Trinity Universe

Thanks for your help.
If you want an honest answer, there you go

Did Disgaea D2 get good reviews in Japan?

Disgaea D2 (9/8/8/8, 33 points): About what you'd figure for NIS's latest — if you like Disgaea, you'll like this, is what Famitsu seems to be saying.

"Just as you'd expect, there's a massive amount of volume to explore," Fujiwara said. "There's also a dizzying number of gameplay elements, but the tutorial is well prepared enough that even casual users can enjoy this well enough. A vast amount of content gets unlocked after beating the game, and really you can just play this forever."
Amazon.jp reviews tend to lean towards the higher scores, with a few 1, 2 stars here and there.

Disgaea D2 (9/8/8/8, 33 points): About what you'd figure for NIS's latest — if you like Disgaea, you'll like this, is what Famitsu seems to be saying.

"Just as you'd expect, there's a massive amount of volume to explore," Fujiwara said. "There's also a dizzying number of gameplay elements, but the tutorial is well prepared enough that even casual users can enjoy this well enough. A vast amount of content gets unlocked after beating the game, and really you can just play this forever."
Amazon.jp reviews tend to lean towards the higher scores, with a few 1, 2 stars here and there.
I've never played Disgaea before, but I guess this will be my first one.

I've never played Disgaea before, but I guess this will be my first one.
Well , D2 is a sequel... Shouldn't you start with an older (cheap) one first? The PS3 had Disgaea 3 and 4 while the PS Vita had Disgaea 3. The PS2 had the original Disgaea and Disgaea 2 and the PSP got remakes of the PS2 ones.

If you want an honest answer, there you go
Qoga was my favorite from that list. Too bad those type of JRPGs only come out once every few years in the US.

I'm still playing Atelier Meruru since i haven't beaten it yet. I've beaten Atelier Rorona and Atelier Totori and enjoyed them.

I gave up on Star Ocean: The Last Hope and Trinity Universe.

Mugen Souls looks like the worst game on that list.

I can't decide which D2 to get. I'm saving up for one of the new consoles so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, but NIS is the only retailer it reduces the likelihood that we will have a clearance or discount on these. And do I really want the figures as an adult male in my 30s?

I can't decide which D2 to get. I'm saving up for one of the new consoles so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, but NIS is the only retailer it reduces the likelihood that we will have a clearance or discount on these. And do I really want the figures as an adult male in my 30s?

If you don't want the limited edition , just want until the regular edition hits $20 in the next year or two.

Some people buy extra limited editions to sell for a profit because the limited editions normally go UP in value and not DOWN.

If you don't want the limited edition , just want until the regular edition hits $20 in the next year or two.

Some people buy extra limited editions to sell for a profit because the limited editions normally go UP in value and not DOWN.
Well, I will be getting it day 1 as a huge fan. That's what has me conflicted. Anyway, my thing to figure out.

Am I the only one who finds the Disgaea D2 bundles a bit expensive? I was hoping for one that has the OST + Artbook for about 60ish dollars. It also comes at a time when the PS4 may be coming out around. I think I may have to pass on this one and I haven't missed a NISA LE in a while. I like figures quite a bit but kind of wish they were nendo petites at least. I'll wait a bit on this for sure....Disgaea 1 was the only one of the games I actually did beat in the series (though I officially have at least the man series ones).

Am I the only one who finds the Disgaea D2 bundles a bit expensive? I was hoping for one that has the OST + Artbook for about 60ish dollars. It also comes at a time when the PS4 may be coming out around. I think I may have to pass on this one and I haven't missed a NISA LE in a while. I like figures quite a bit but kind of wish they were nendo petites at least. I'll wait a bit on this for sure....Disgaea 1 was the only one of the games I actually did beat.
There is definitely a "Disgaea tax" on these bundles. I was hoping for $74.99 or so but that ain't happening. I'm definitely selling the figurines and cards to recoup some of the money. If previous exclusive bonuses are any indication, that should help lower the price of the bundle by quite a bit (if it ends up selling out).

I posted this as a blog but I figure you guys would be the best to help me out.

Here I am again, trying to get rid of games I haven't played yet. For some reason, I've become enamored with JRPGs, even though when I actually play them, I get pretty bored, so I'm thinking about getting rid of some. I want to know which are definite must plays/great games. I don't want mediocre or something like "Well, the game was boring and the story sucked, but there was a cool combat scene once so I'd give it a whirl." If it's not a wonderful game, I want it out, here's the list:

Ar Tonelico Qoga

Atelier Rorona

Atelier Totori

Atelier Meruru

Mugen Souls

Trinity Universe

Thanks for your help.
For my $.02:

Look up some video reviews of the Atelier series. If you like what they offer, you'll really enjoy the games. If their particular brand of JRPG doesn't look appealing to you, you will likely hate them. That is on a very person to person basis.

I would say give Star Ocean a shot, though. The graphics are very appealing. The battle mechanics are incredibly fun (seriously one of the best action rpg systems). It has an incredibly deep crafting/alchemy system. It's got a good Motoi Sakuraba soundtrack. The worlds are all very diverse and very large. It can sometimes feel a bit too large, but it makes the world have a certain sense of scope. The story is okay. It's by no means horrible, but it's not great, either. It will serve its purpose to keep you interested enough to continue playing. The voice acting is laughably bad, but it is actually ​laughably bad. You will laugh at some of the horrible deliveries.

The game gets way too much hate, especially from people that turn around and praise other tripe. If you enjoy action rpgs (of the Japanese flavor, at least) then you should give it a try. Even if the story/dialog aren't 'great' the rest of it is all very good.

For my $.02:

Look up some reviews of the Atelier series. If you like what they offer, you'll really enjoy the games. If their particular brand of JRPG doesn't look appealing to you, you will likely hate them. That is on a very person to person basis.

I would say give Star Ocean a shot, though. The graphics are very appealing. The battle mechanics are incredibly fun (seriously one of the best action rpg systems). It has an incredibly deep crafting/alchemy system. It's got a good Motoi Sakuraba soundtrack. The worlds are all very diverse and very large. It can sometimes feel a bit too large, but it makes the world have a certain sense of scope. The story is okay. It's by no means horrible, but it's not great, either. It will serve its purpose to keep you interested enough to continue playing. The voice acting is laughably bad, but it is actually ​laughably bad. You will laugh at some of the horrible deliveries.

The game gets way too much hate, especially from people that turn around and praise other tripe. If you enjoy action rpgs (of the Japanese flavor, at least) then you should give it a try. Even if the story/dialog aren't 'great' the rest of it is all very good.
Thanks, I was actually considering keeping Star Ocean. I'm not a huge fan of crafting items and that seems to be the focal point of the Atelier series so I think I'll get rid of those. Tonelico is the finale of a series that I never played so that's why I was thinkin of getting rid of that too. I'm on the fence with Trinity Universe as I heard it's like Cross Edge and I actually really liked that one, but trade-in at Amazon is a little over $35, which I think is only $5 less than I paid for it.

The AT games are mostly self contained. Qoga was okay, but the localization on that game is fucking horrible. The latter half of the game has so many typos and shit, it was painful to play through (especially since the thing is basically a giant visual novel). I kept pushing onward cause I liked all the little skits, but the gameplay was way too simple and not engaging.

I'll second the opinion on Star Ocean. I prefer the series to Tales mainly due to the combat system, and I think the game's underrated. Story sucks, VO sucks, etc... but the combat, crafting and soundtrack was enough for me. Plus, that game is super challenging on higher difficulties. I got like 90% of the achievements on 360 before I quit... the game is impossible to platinum lol.

The Atelier games have gotten better and better with each iteration. The crafting system in each are cumbersome, so it's understandable if you wouldn't enjoy it. I enjoyed them for what they were, but hated everything being timed. That... blows in a JRPG if you ask me. I like to grind and min/max and unless you follow a guide or something you'll be missing stuff left and right due to time constraints.

I didn't enjoy Cross Edge or Trinity Universe at all. Played both for about 10 hours, never finished them. Sold my open copies and have both sealed in my collection for god knows what reason. They felt... cheap. Bad production values, just like the Neptunia games.

Mugen Souls is on its own level. Get rid of that crap.

Yeah, I would definitely hate being timed so the Atelier series are gone. Haha, the Neptunia series are the only ones I'm definitely keeping. Okay, looks like I'll get rid of all of them except Star Ocean, thanks for the help.

I'm having day one LE overload! Tales of Xillia, Kingdom Hearts HD, FFX HD, Disgaea, I bet The Witch and the Hundred Knights will have something, Beyond w/ Steelbook, heck even Killer is Dead will have an Artbook with the $60 version.

I'm a CAG and like to wait well after a game releases. I'm also a collector and so torn with games/series I like, wanting to get the LE physical bonuses. Great job getting me to buy in day one. I'm hesitant, but I'm sure I'll succumb.

Edit: I forgot Dragon's Crown, but I'm undecided on that game

I'm having day one LE overload! Tales of Xillia, Kingdom Hearts HD, FFX HD, Disgaea, I bet The Witch and the Hundred Knights will have something, Beyond w/ Steelbook, heck even Killer is Dead will have an Artbook with the $60 version.

I'm a CAG and like to wait well after a game releases. I'm also a collector and so torn with games/series I like, wanting to get the LE physical bonuses. Great job getting me to buy in day one. I'm hesitant, but I'm sure I'll succumb.

Edit: I forgot Dragon's Crown, but I'm undecided on that game
No kidding. Last night, I ordered:

Tales of Xillia (canceled one of my collector's editions, and will probably cancel the other)

Final Fantasy X&X-2

Rune Factory 4 (no pre-order bonus)

SMT4 (partially cause of first print + FE promo)

Project Diva 4 (no pre-order bonus)

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (no pre-order bonus?)

Disgaea 2 (guide edition)

And this is with Witch and the Hundred Knights preordered since May 24, 2012, and Time and Eternity NIS edition.

Also undecided about Dragon's Crown, as well as Killer is Dead. And I wouldn't know if I'd rather have Dragon's Crown for the Vita that I don't own yet.

I'm skipping everything that doesn't have an LE/first print LE. The only exception to that is Dragon Crown. That is only because I have it pre-ordered at $38 and it has the artbook. Everything else will drop and there is no danger of missing out on a special edition or not being able to find one that is undamaged. It's the only way to get through these tough times ahead. XD lol

I'm skipping everything that doesn't have an LE/first print LE. The only exception to that is Dragon Crown. That is only because I have it pre-ordered at $38 and it has the artbook. Everything else will drop and there is no danger of missing out on a special edition or not being able to find one that is undamaged. It's the only way to get through these tough times ahead. XD lol
Do you think the preorder DLC that comes with Lightning Returns will be on the PSN store sometime later?

I was hoping for a US edition steelbook for Lightning Returns but only certain preorders from UK stores are getting that so I might cancel my Lightning Returns preorder.

Anyone who liked Star Ocean 4 has no opinion that's worth listening to.

It features:

A battle system that's interesting at first until you realize the grindy hell you're about to go through.

The worst characters in a RPG, ever.

The worst voice acting in a RPG, ever.

If you're still interested, you have no one to blame but yourself for the monstrosity you are about to unleash upon your soul. May the gods have mercy upon you.

It features:

A battle system that's interesting at first until you realize the grindy hell you're about to go through.

If you're still interested, you have no one to blame but yourself for the monstrosity you are about to unleash upon your soul. May the gods have mercy upon you.
Aren't some of the save points spaced hours apart as well?

It features:

Yeah, after thinking about it, the guy did say the story/characters sucked and that's a major need for me with RPGs so that's out.

One more question for you guys. I have Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, and IX for the DS and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get to them. Should I just trade them in or should I make sure I play them?

Yeah, after thinking about it, the guy did say the story/characters sucked and that's a major need for me with RPGs so that's out.

One more question for you guys. I have Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, and IX for the DS and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get to them. Should I just trade them in or should I make sure I play them?
If you are asking that question then I would think you need to get rid of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back