Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't being serious in my response. :lol:

Infinity Moment is basically the base game while Hollow Fragment is sorta of an expansion. Hollow Fragment is basically Infinity Moment with an additional character and more plot i suppose. It really isn't two games. As per to what AngelsPlight said.
Oh weird. I booted up the game and the first dungeon was a Hollow Mission on Floor 75 so it really felt like a new game. Didn't Infinity Moment start with the Floor 1 though?

Oh weird. I booted up the game and the first dungeon was a Hollow Mission on Floor 75 so it really felt like a new game. Didn't Infinity Moment start with the Floor 1 though?
Gameplay started on the 76th also on it. And derp wording, it's 2 game as if, you can do what you did in Infinity Moment, climbing the tower from the 76th floor and on but you also have the Hollow Fragments part which is explore the Hollow Areas on the side, and has it's own story. Hence the 2 games part, or I guess you can view the Hollow Areas as just an expansion since it's quite sort and doesn't have much of a story attached to it.

Gameplay started on the 76th also on it. And derp wording, it's 2 game as if, you can do what you did in Infinity Moment, climbing the tower from the 76th floor and on but you also have the Hollow Fragments part which is explore the Hollow Areas on the side, and has it's own story. Hence the 2 games part, or I guess you can view the Hollow Areas as just an expansion since it's quite sort and doesn't have much of a story attached to it.
Ahh I see. Guess I should keep playing since no sense in me buying the PSN version coming to the US. Thanks for clearing that up!

So I got Xenoblade Chronicles "used" at GameStop for 39.99 before tax with 20% off birthday coupon. iirc it's usually a lot more.
Almost a year ago they were charging $89.99, then it dropped to $69.99. On Black Friday it was on sale for $39.99. Since then, the used price has held at $49.99/$44.99 PUR.

So I got Xenoblade Chronicles "used" at GameStop for 39.99 before tax with 20% off birthday coupon. iirc it's usually a lot more.
The price has dropped a lot recently, but I think this is one of the lowest prices you could have ever gotten it for since its release. I don't think GS ever cut the price, so anything under $45 or so seems to be pretty solid over the product's time on shelves.

EDIT: Happy Birthday!..?

The price has dropped a lot recently, but I think this is one of the lowest prices you could have ever gotten it for since its release. I don't think GS ever cut the price, so anything under $45 or so seems to be pretty solid over the product's time on shelves.

EDIT: Happy Birthday!..?
I thought it was 59.99 used before and figured they just cut the price cause of the sequel hype. I tried a little bit of it earlier and the battling seems a bit weird, but its not that bad. I actually like pandoras tower battle system more, but havent been able to find a copy near me.

And thanks i guess. Not my birthday yet, but very soon :)

They gotta be available somewhere.
You can still order the Japanese copy off import sites but I think the Chinese version will be more difficult to find. I don't know many Chinese import sites off the top of my head. Both AmiAmi and CD Japan have the Japanese LE in stock but those versions obviously don't come with English subtitles.

Play Asia is where you typically find the Japanese copy as well as the Chinese copy. Thing is that once they have sold allocation then it is highly unlikely you will find it anywhere else other than sites like eBay.

Finally got SAO: Hollow Fragment (Asia, Japanese voice w/ Chinese/English subs).
Nice. I got one too while being in Taiwan although I am contemplating on opening it since I got lucky and got it for rather cheap. Managed to get it from a store that said they'll try to get one for me few days before the release, went to Switzerland a couple weeks and they managed to get one, keep it for me until I got back on June 9 and sold me for 2650 TWD (88.32USD). Box is unharmed and still in plastic covering.

I also managed to find the Japanese LE while in Taiwan that costed me 3200 TWD (106.62 USD) in Gamestop-new condition. It had it's own plastic covering but I don't think a plastic bag sealed with a piece of tape would be how a manufacturer would seal a game.

Also bought J-stars Victory VS while in Taiwan and tried looking for Exstetra, but only managed to find the 3DS version. Does anyone know of any other Japanese game that has about no chance of coming to NA that I should try to look for in my last few days of Taiwan?

So, plainly, is there any difference between the Asian Limited Edition of Sword Art Online and the American Digital rendition?
i'm not fully up on it, but I am pretty sure they have different translations.... (at least it was mentioned in this thread it will)

the asian version basically has a google translate translation, and if the american version has that, boy that will be a problem.

i'm not fully up on it, but I am pretty sure they have different translations.... (at least it was mentioned in this thread it will)

the asian version basically has a google translate translation, and if the american version has that, boy that will be a problem.
Err, it actually has a correct translation. When google does translations for Asian language, it usually comes out very confusing for many sentences (Try doing a Google translation for a paragraph and you won't even be able to make sense out of half of it). The translations for this were actually grammatically correct but it just the word choices it used for somewhere very odd and there are a few typos (Missing a letter etc)

Err, it actually has a correct translation. When google does translations for Asian language, it usually comes out very confusing for many sentences (Try doing a Google translation for a paragraph and you won't even be able to make sense out of half of it). The translations for this were actually grammatically correct but it just the word choices it used for somewhere very odd and there are a few typos (Missing a letter etc)
When I say it basically has a google translate translation, I don't mean literally. It's a way of saying that a game has a very literal translation to the point where it becomes awkward for people who actually speak English natively (it would be like translating Gyuunyuu no ichigo to Milk of Strawberry instead of Strawberry milk, it's not technically wrong, but it's very awkward for someone who actually speaks english (i'd perhaps have a better example but my actual japanese word knowledge is rather limited)). While you can understand the translation, it usually become a chore to read due to the fact that you often to have to think of the literal uses of a lot of words to make the sentence make proper sense. To be fair I haven't played the japanese version, and thus it might not be as bad as the screen shots have shown it to be, but the screen shots were of a very terrible translation job.

Yeah..It just feels odd at some of the times but at most quotes, I'm able to just read and press through it instantly. Once in a while there are just a few sentences that makes me pause a bit and go..wait what?

Just got a Wii U and since I skipped out on the Wii last generation, which RPG's would you all recommend for the Wii? Thanks in advance!!

When I say it basically has a google translate translation, I don't mean literally. It's a way of saying that a game has a very literal translation to the point where it becomes awkward for people who actually speak English natively (it would be like translating Gyuunyuu no ichigo to Milk of Strawberry instead of Strawberry milk, it's not technically wrong, but it's very awkward for someone who actually speaks english (i'd perhaps have a better example but my actual japanese word knowledge is rather limited)). While you can understand the translation, it usually become a chore to read due to the fact that you often to have to think of the literal uses of a lot of words to make the sentence make proper sense. To be fair I haven't played the japanese version, and thus it might not be as bad as the screen shots have shown it to be, but the screen shots were of a very terrible translation job.
There are fan translation that actually uses google translate as a proof of concept and those are unplayable.

New information on Persona 5? There's another link in the OP of the link provided below.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/69451899
I'm skeptical bout it since how would Futureshop know about Persona 5. They could just bsing and change the description at a later date. It's way to early, especially with ATLUS Japan releasing no details as of yet.

ATLUS rep on neogaf confirmed that the description is bogus, because if he doesn't know, neither would Futureshop.

Just got a Wii U and since I skipped out on the Wii last generation, which RPG's would you all recommend for the Wii? Thanks in advance!!
Xenoblade is definitely the best, but also check out Pandora's Tower, The Last Story & Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon.

Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower

FF Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (if you like roguelikes)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (strategy RPG)
Arc Rise Fantasia (good if you can stomach the awful voice acting)

I also recommend Fragile: Dreams. Gameplay kinda stinks, but makes for a great experience. The atmosphere and music of the game are amazing.

of the games not already listed I would also add

Phantom Brave

and if you don't mind stretching the definition of a RPG a bit

Muramasa and Dokapon kingdom.

random plug for fortune street and trauma team here too, but they aren't rpgs at all :p

I also recommend Fragile: Dreams. Gameplay kinda stinks, but makes for a great experience. The atmosphere and music of the game are amazing.
the sad thing about fragile is that if they had implemented a simple lock on system the gameplay likely would have been decent.

just youtube fragile. game sucks sooo bad.  its better as a really depressing movie.  voice work was top notch to me and was especially nice to hear estelles va from tales of vesperia again.  I will warn you the game makes eeyore look like a ray of sunshine it's just that sad.  Might as well be a rep for anti depression/suicidal medication

on fire emblem its kinda sucky  (playing it right now) and its a sequel to path of radiance to which I would rec getting and playing over it.  Use a price tracker and try to get it for under 50 bucks if you really want it but so far mechanically, character and story wise its all inferior to the last one.  The only improvement made was "some" skills can be transferred now instead of sitting on useless characters going to waste

Another game on the wii is tales of symphonia 2 but like fire emblem it has alot of problems so I don't think anyone would rec it especially since it just got the hd port combo with the first one on ps3.

Anybody who talks bad about Fragile Dreams has to deal with me. My favorite game on the Wii. The gameplay was different. It doesn't have to be more of the same to be a good game. The incredible atmosphere, scenery, and story, along with the fun gameplay made it a phenomenal game.

Just one complaint. It was too short. I beat it in three days, playing a few hours a day. I could not put it down.

Been thinking of downloading either Wild Arms xF, Riviera: The Promised Land or Mana Khemia: Student Alliance. I'm aware of the problems the last title has but I wanted to see if it's so bad that I should skip it. I really wish PSN had the PS2 version and the sequel for download. I really loved the Wild Arms franchise back in the PS2 era, and I know that xf is tactical/strategy.

I remember playing Mana Khemia on the PS2 as well but I stopped after I got stuck in the battle versus the other students. If the problems don't make 'Student Alliance' unplayable I might get it. The only game I've never played is Riviera but even that looks like another tactical/strategy RPG.

Sakura Wars is a great Wii game also if you don't have the ps2 version  :). Though it is more dating sim and the RPG battles are light. 

just youtube fragile. game sucks sooo bad. its better as a really depressing movie. voice work was top notch to me and was especially nice to hear estelles va from tales of vesperia again. I will warn you the game makes eeyore look like a ray of sunshine it's just that sad. Might as well be a rep for anti depression/suicidal medication
I remember the trailer for that game being the most beautifully tragic thing I've ever seen. The actual game had gorgeous visuals, presentation, and a very sad story, but man the actual gameplay was hot garbage. I get that they built the world and story first, and just sort of tacked on a terrible game to let you maneuver through it, but god damn. I was pretty disappointed with the last chapters of the story cause it kind of fell apart, but I am very glad I played it, though. It was a very affecting experience at its best, and a chore at its worst.

Mmm..Amazon for games is nice :eek: That fast shipping. Just add in a filler item purchase that ships the same method and they'll ship your game in a box rather than in a bubble mailer. 

Not at all true. Amazon doesn't always ship items from the same warehouse.
I've always gotten then shipped from the same place when I order multiple items. Not exactly sure how it works so always assumed all the warehouses carry some of the product since they've always packed all my stuff together in a box if I do multiple orders at once from Amazon.

Amazon's packing is hit or miss for me. Sometimes the item is secure. Other times it's rattling around the box like a noisemaker.

Anybody who talks bad about Fragile Dreams has to deal with me. My favorite game on the Wii. The gameplay was different. It doesn't have to be more of the same to be a good game. The incredible atmosphere, scenery, and story, along with the fun gameplay made it a phenomenal game.

Just one complaint. It was too short. I beat it in three days, playing a few hours a day. I could not put it down.
How old is the main character in that one?

In all seriousness though it does look decent. I picked it up and will play it at some point.

Can you explain how it's funny? Sakura Wars has nothing to do with MKR..
I think the funny thing is usually niche titles are the ones to support a system till it's demise. I remember the same for the Sony Playstation (yeah don't want to call it the PSone), as I remember a lot of last games for it such as Tomba, Granstream Saga, Monkey hero or something like that....Legend of Dragoon.

Heck the PSP still has some niche games coming to it though it hasn't a mainstream release in forever haha.

Sakura Wars was sub or dub to be exact while the Wii could do 480p in exchange. I use "or" there because it's actually different discs. You had English dub disc and Japanese dub disc with neither save compatible with one another, so effectively you got two copies of the game. I'll never understand why.

If you want to play Sakura Wars (I wouldn't. So Long, My Love is very bad.) get the PS2 version. The dub was done by Satan himself with Pandemonium being the very studio it was done in and you will eternally curse the world if you try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back