Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
How old is the main character in that one?

In all seriousness though it does look decent. I picked it up and will play it at some point.
Very funny...

But honestly I feel like the people who didn't like the game didn't give it a fair try. Or they don't like JRPGs, which doesn't apply to the people in this topic. It was subtle, but this game really shined for me.

I know a lot of people hate that gamestop reprinted xenoblade but I'm glad they did. the prices were getting stupid
I think the main problem people had was that they were selling them as "used" rather than new because their used price at the time was like 69.99.

Also, anyone know where's the cheapest place I can get Pandora's Tower and The Last Story? Used or new doesn't matter. Just want it complete.

I think the main problem people had was that they were selling them as "used" rather than new because their used price at the time was like 69.99.

Also, anyone know where's the cheapest place I can get Pandora's Tower and The Last Story? Used or new doesn't matter. Just want it complete.
Actually, it was more like $89.99 for Xenoblade. 200$+ on Amazon and most likely Ebay.

Back when Gamestop had the B1G1 Coupon for Power Up Pro, I got Xenoblade and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn when I had the chance. This was when the "reprint" was still recent, so I paid around 60 for it. However, managed to justify it with Radiant Dawn, since I essentially paid around 30ish for each. xD

I know a lot of people hate that gamestop reprinted xenoblade but I'm glad they did. the prices were getting stupid
I think a lot of people forget that if not for GS working with Nintendo to bring the game to the US in the first place, we likely would never have gotten it.

Battle Princess of Arcadias is out on PSN this Tuesday.  Has anyone played it?  I like what I've seen in videos, so I'll probably pick it up if the price is right.

Might be tough to find, but first try your local GS for used/new copies. Pandora's Tower is $19.99 new/$18.99 used and Last Story is $29.99 new/$27.99 used.

Amazon has new copies for $31.99 and $29.99:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2QL2Y4?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Story-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B007CSF3GO/ref=pd_bxgy_vg_text_y

people don't hate that it was reprinted they hate the fact that they were charging over msrp for a reprinted game and not telling anyone they reprinted it. The hilarious part was people didn't think it was true and anyone like me who agreed with the logic and facts presented was a tin hat.

Anyone think Jump Allstars for ps3 will ever get a release somewhere with English subs? Option 2, anyone think it will be 59.99 or less? Or will it likely always be above us msrp prices? It is currently like 86$ on amazon, and a few weeks ago it was around 106$, I am just wondering if it is likely to keep slowly dropping down to a palatable price for my American price palate lol

Anyone think Jump Allstars for ps3 will ever get a release somewhere with English subs? Option 2, anyone think it will be 59.99 or less? Or will it likely always be above us msrp prices? It is currently like 86$ on amazon, and a few weeks ago it was around 106$, I am just wondering if it is likely to keep slowly dropping down to a palatable price for my American price palate lol
Unfortunately, I doubt it because of all of the licenses.

Sakura Wars was sub or dub to be exact while the Wii could do 480p in exchange. I use "or" there because it's actually different discs. You had English dub disc and Japanese dub disc with neither save compatible with one another, so effectively you got two copies of the game. I'll never understand why.
I actually still have the PS2 Premium edition still sealed just sitting on my shelf. Now that I have a Wii U, I may just pick up the very inexpensive Wii release and see if I like the game first. That way if I don't, I can get a pretty good amount for the PS2 Premium pack on ebay. :)

Asmith906, on 16 Jun 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:
well at least they will spend the money to keep the titles coming, most once its sold out that's it so a lot of us who were waiting for a price drop get a chance, and the people complaining when they did that and jacked the price up, so even though it was cheaper than ebay and scum who buy a lot of copies at once or make pirated ones are ok to sell them high but a retailer cant, you all are asseigned

I think a lot of people forget that if not for GS working with Nintendo to bring the game to the US in the first place, we likely would never have gotten it.
yep, at least they were willing to step up and take a chance when Nintendo is very anti American towards their fans, though to continue, when GS jacks the price up on new or prerelease products and keeps up prices when their is universal msrp drops is a slap in the face to its customers.

Battle Princess of Arcadias is out on PSN this Tuesday. Has anyone played it? I like what I've seen in videos, so I'll probably pick it up if the price is right.
I hope someone on this forum who gets this can give their first impressions on it. To me it looks pretty nice but the gameplay looks all laggy and kinda poop. Also only on PSN is kind of lame...but eh....probably not buying it for a while.

I think the funny thing is usually niche titles are the ones to support a system till it's demise. I remember the same for the Sony Playstation (yeah don't want to call it the PSone), as I remember a lot of last games for it such as Tomba, Granstream Saga, Monkey hero or something like that....Legend of Dragoon.

Heck the PSP still has some niche games coming to it though it hasn't a mainstream release in forever haha.
Yep, on the ball. At the end of a console's life cycle, you'll often see really niche games, or in this case, two anime titles, while big enough names in the anime community, your average joe may not have heard of.

Magic Knight Rayearth is freaking fantastic though. Besides a couple cringe-worthy moments of the Dub, it's a very solid game a bit of a Zelda clone.

Oh, and I loved the cover art for Granstream Saga. The game was decent at the time too. can't imagine it's aged all that well.

Sorry, if remembering incorrectly, but I thought I saw that either Disgaea 4: Promise Revisted, Akiba's Trip and/or Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth1 were also no longer available for preorder at Best Buy, so thought should mention was able to preorder all from the kiosk over the weekend.

Sorry, if remembering incorrectly, but I thought I saw that either Disgaea 4: Promise Revisted, Akiba's Trip and/or Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth1 were also no longer available for preorder at Best Buy, so thought should mention was able to preorder all from the kiosk over the weekend.
All of those are still available--XBlaze Code: Embryo and Atelier Rorona Plus were the recently delisted titles.

Last week, I preordered Akiba's Trip and Danganronpa 2 at Bestbuy.com and used a $15 certificate on each while paying for the rest with a gift card. I can't wait for those two. :bouncy:

All of those are still available--XBlaze Code: Embryo and Atelier Rorona Plus were the recently delisted titles.

Last week, I preordered Akiba's Trip and Danganronpa 2 at Bestbuy.com and used a $15 certificate on each while paying for the rest with a gift card. I can't wait for those two. :bouncy:
Since Mind Zero came back, I have hope that those two will come back eventually.

Would now be a good time to jump on Mind Zero? I know it was on sale on the PSN for the first week, but I don't really see it going any lower in price any time soon... $31.99 - a $15 gift certificate seems like a good deal to me.

I went to Best Buy to trade in some games. I asked if I could pre-order Atelier Rorona Plus, but they told me I couldn't since it's not in their system. Seems that if you can't pre-order it online, you can't get it in store either.

I did get to pay off Persona 4 Arena Ultimax with the credit from my trade-in.

The games that wouldn't be compatible with the tv are likely the ones that are touch/screen based. Despite seeing the list, I'm most likely going to get the TV anyway. Also, there are a lot of unknowns, and those aren't no, unless I'm mistaken.

Just by counting the many labeled with "Yes". Only 213 more or less, are compatible out of 640. Although stateside hasn't even seen all 640 games either.
Of the games with a US release, there's ~65 that are not compatible with the PS TV. Considering that as of the 2-year anniversary the Vita was at about 200 games released (the 2-year anniversary was 4 months ago) then it's basically about 75% of the US Vita games are compatible with PS TV.

That's Vita games. Every single PSP and PS1 game that's Vita compatible should work fine on the PS TV, so that adds hundreds more.

Edit: I just checked; 242 games currently released on Vita in NA, and 65 are listed as not PS TV compatible.

Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
FF Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon (if you like roguelikes)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (strategy RPG)
Arc Rise Fantasia (good if you can stomach the awful voice acting)
Arc Rise Fantasia - fantastic premise, story looks promising, but the voice acting is horrible. I don't know if it or Resident Evil is worse in that department lol.

Xenoblade Chronicles still goes for $49.99 used ;(

that sword art online game looks pretty sweet, just started watching the anime today, i wish it were in english though cause then i feel like i would be lost 95% of the time

Edit: oh nvm lol i just saw they had an e3 english trailer!! needs to come out fast!!

Hopefully that compatibility list will expand with the wider release of the vita tv, but of course touch screen games aren't likely to ever be compatible without some kind of individual game patch, some kind of touch emulation mode with the analogue sticks, or having the dualshock 4 touch pad supplement the touch screen. There's also the issue of the back touch pad, so if you do find another control option for the touch screen, you'd then have to have a second mode for the back touch pad.

I'll probably still pick one up eventually though, when I'm not traveling, I'd much rather play my portable games on the big screen.

that sword art online game looks pretty sweet, just started watching the anime today, i wish it were in english though cause then i feel like i would be lost 95% of the time

Edit: oh nvm lol i just saw they had an e3 english trailer!! needs to come out fast!!
Just saw the Japanese trailer myself. I still wish there was a definite release date besides "Summer 2014". I'm not surprised at the flame wars that transpired in the YouTube comments. "Should also be on 3DS, it can handle it", "Nothing to play on Vita", "SAO ripped off .Hack". etc. Basically, ardent fan pointless arguments.

I also just found out myself that Tales of Heart R will only have the Japanese Dub with Subtitles. While it won't stop me from purchasing it I've never really been the biggest fan when it comes to Japanese dubs/subtitles when I have to end up doing two things at once. In the end I'll still purchase it. Then you've got people who think that English Dubs are awful in general. I'll admit there are some bad ones but they aren't all awful. I bring up that last part up, because of the GameInformer comments I also read.

Just saw the Japanese trailer myself. I still wish there was a definite release date besides "Summer 2014". I'm not surprised at the flame wars that transpired in the YouTube comments. "Should also be on 3DS, it can handle it", "Nothing to play on Vita", "SAO ripped off .Hack". etc. Basically, ardent fan pointless arguments.

I also just found out myself that Tales of Heart R will only have the Japanese Dub with Subtitles. While it won't stop me from purchasing it I've never really been the biggest fan when it comes to Japanese dubs/subtitles when I have to end up doing two things at once. In the end I'll still purchase it. Then you've got people who think that English Dubs are awful in general. I'll admit there are some bad ones but they aren't all awful. I bring up that last part up, because of the GameInformer comments I read.
I like how Tales of Heart R went from "never getting localized" to the one vita game Sony mentioned during their conference.

Arc Rise Fantasia - fantastic premise, story looks promising, but the voice acting is horrible. I don't know if it or Resident Evil is worse in that department lol.

Xenoblade Chronicles still goes for $49.99 used ;(
Arc Rise Fantasia just feels cheap. It looks, and sounds, low budget, and it's littered with moments that make me wish they had put just shred more effort into it.

Which is a shame, since it plays great.

Reno Takamiya, on 17 Jun 2014 - 12:51 AM, said:

I also just found out myself that Tales of Heart R will only have the Japanese Dub with Subtitles. While it won't stop me from purchasing it I've never really been the biggest fan when it comes to Japanese dubs/subtitles when I have to end up doing two things at once. In the end I'll still purchase it. Then you've got people who think that English Dubs are awful in general. I'll admit there are some bad ones but they aren't all awful. I bring up that last part up, because of the GameInformer comments I also read.
same here, im trying to enjoy a game not learn a language, I usually miss stuff cause im focused looking down on text, hate it

I figure I'm gonna buy a vita eventually. Can the Vita itself be hooked up to a TV like a PSP 2000/3000?

I'd prefer to play my Vita games on the TV, but I want a Vita system too. I also need to buy a PSP... I want a brand new 3000, cause I'm picky like that :\

same here, im trying to enjoy a game not learn a language, I usually miss stuff cause im focused looking down on text, hate it

I've never really been the biggest fan when it comes to Japanese dubs/subtitles when I have to end up doing two things at once.

i wish it were in english though cause then i feel like i would be lost 95% of the time
Did you people not have Reading Rainbow growing up?

Did you people not have Reading Rainbow growing up?
I did.

I just don't like having to watch what's happening on screen. Look down to read the subtitles, look up again and vice versa. Especially if the cutscenes are fast paced with action or if the subtitles happen to go by fast. I'm sure whatever written text the game has in dialog boxes will be translated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back