Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gamespot review for Drakengard 3 is probably the best professional review for the game. (The one I agree with most).

The reviewer looked at the game for what it is instead of what it isn't (a AAA gaming experience). The game has plenty of technical flaws and unimpressive graphics, but the story, soundtrack, voice acting, and characters  compliment each other really well and that is what's going to stick with me for years. Does it play as well as something like Dark Souls 2? No, but I think I'll remember Drakengard 3 much longer into the year and for years to come. I love the last boss, the lore, and all the connections to the first Drakengard and Nier. Holistically, it is a beautiful disaster that has the cajones to be niche and different and I love it for that. 

I gave up on Drakengard 3 I have around 4 trophies left to get the platinum but the rhythm game at the end of Branch D is fucking stupid as shit, but hey it was in Drakengard 2 so why not right? I play a ton of JRPGs and it is my favorite genera, hell I am even a moderator over at /r/JRPG and honestly every review that I read from the genera sucks. 

I gave up on Drakengard 3 I have around 4 trophies left to get the platinum but the rhythm game at the end of Branch D is fucking stupid as shit, but hey it was in Drakengard 2 so why not right? I play a ton of JRPGs and it is my favorite genera, hell I am even a moderator over at /r/JRPG and honestly every review that I read from the genera sucks.
There are YouTube videos that shows when to prompt buttons for the last boss. Just sync with your game and done. Grinding max weapons took longer

Yeah, last boss was cake when I synced it to a niconico video. It was the extremely boring money and materials grinding that stopped me from getting platinum.

There are YouTube videos that shows when to prompt buttons for the last boss. Just sync with your game and done. Grinding max weapons took longer
Tried it for about 2-3 hours got about 4 1/2 minutes through it and failed still, the hardest part is getting it to sync up with your T.V. It is not as easy as everyone makes it out to be even with the video that was made.

Curious...I see quite a number of Japanese games on Steam now.  Any recommendations during this summer sale?

$2.49 for Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

http://store.steampowered.com/app/263620/?snr=1_237_238_

Fairy Bloom Fresia

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214590/?snr=1_234_234__103_3

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214610/

Ether Vapor Remaster

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214570/

Ikaruga

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253750/

ExCeed Complete Pack

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207400/

Gundemonium Collection

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/11712

World End Economica

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269250/?snr=1_230_231__103_1

Well, I'll tell you I would NOT recommend eXceed. Terrible game. The first one was, anyway. The text wasn't translated and we were thrown into the game with no understanding of the controls. Took me 5 minutes to learn how to play.

There are lots more, now that I take a look.

Sleepless Night 1 and 2. These are horror VNs. They look really cool.

Love Sniper. Looks like a romance Eroge.

Project Dualis. Another romance Eroge.

Halloween Otome. An Otome romance Eroge.

Re:Alistair++. Another Otome romance Eroge. With lots of mystery elements.

Ristorante Amore. A third Otome romance Eroge.

It's no Saya no Uta or Ever 17, but can't complain about free.

Since my computer and PS3 used the same monitor, what I did to sync it is remember some point in the game (I used the blooming of the flower) and quickly pressed the home button once it happens. The skipped to the video where that happens and paused. Then resumed game on Ps3 and immediately hit play on youtube once I heard the music continue. Then I just watched the video bar of when to press and listened to the Ps3 to listen if I failed. I play exclusive rhythm games on my phone so took me like 4~ tries to finish branch D with the video. 

Doing it without the video is kinda ridiculous since you can't tell when the beat arrives when it turns dark and the music slows down. 

Curious...I see quite a number of Japanese games on Steam now. Any recommendations during this summer sale?

$2.49 for Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

http://store.steampowered.com/app/263620/?snr=1_237_238_

Fairy Bloom Fresia

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214590/?snr=1_234_234__103_3

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214610/

Ether Vapor Remaster

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214570/

Ikaruga

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253750/

ExCeed Complete Pack

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207400/

Gundemonium Collection

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/11712

World End Economica

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269250/?snr=1_230_231__103_1
The Last Remnant is 75% off. Haven't played it, but it's Squeenix.

Have these always been free??

Are those really Eroge, or are you just saying they're Eroge. Because none of them have 18+ material.

It's an english reviewer. English reviews for any jrpg never go above 8. A 6 is like good. They give garbage games like Battlefield 3 a 9.25, calling those games innovations but its literally usually the exact same shooter, weapons and controls as the previous game but in a new map. Hell, every release of Call of Duty gets a 8 of higher automatically despite it having literally no difference from the previous game other than new maps. Have to look at japanese reviews when it comes to japanese games.

I found DG3 to be fun. The lag was atrocious tho but fun enough for me to push into getting plat on it. Prob would have been a fast plat too if I didn't get incredibly bored grinding money for the weapon upgrade trophy.

Edit: Just looked at the review and I can tell the person didn't even finish the game. The complaints don't even make much sense since your ranged attacks are like 100% accurate when targeting someone and attackers are almost always in front of you so you can easily see enemies attacking you (On rare instances you get ganked from back, you're obviously not suppose to see them coming and have to be mobile and look around).

Game Informer is notorious for hating jrpgs btw.
If you're looking for honest reviews for a JRPG in GameInformer magazine, you're looking in the wrong place.
What? You guys are doing the same thing you're accusing Game Informer of. They probably give more love to JRPGs than all the other game magazines combined including Edge and Games TM. (Btw, those really are English, which means that they come from England, whereas Game Informer obviously does not.) They just did a spread on Persona and Atlus not too long ago. I haven't checked out the Drakengard 3 review, but I would guess it's by Kimberley Wallace - she reviews all the Japanese game for GI. She also did the Dragonropa review and gave it a stellar review. Next time post something to support your claims.

Are those really Eroge, or are you just saying they're Eroge.
I have played Re:Alistair++, and it has a romance element but is definitely not eroge. None of the others mention being 18+ on their pages that I saw, so I'm gonna guess OP just means they are romance games.

Curious...I see quite a number of Japanese games on Steam now. Any recommendations during this summer sale?
http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Japanese/

That's a more extensive list of "Japanese" tagged games on the steam store.

Of the games you listed, I would recommend Ikaruga and maybe Fairy Bloom Freesia, Gundemonium Collection, and the Exceed series.

Fairy Bloom is a nice little platformer with a comboing system. Exceed 2 and 3 are great, but like others posted, 1 is not very good. Also, the graphics options in exceed are very limited. Exceed 2 is my favorite because it has a very similar system to Ikaruga where you change light/dark and can absorb the respective color.

I know it's not Japanese, but I'd have to recommend Jamestown as well. It's one of the best shmups on steam and is usually on sale.

Also, if you don't have the Carpe Fulgar games, specifically Recettear, you're doing it wrong.

Tip though. For all games not featured in the daily, flash, or community sales, wait until the last day of the sale. There is a possibility they pop up in those sales or another website for cheaper.

What? You guys are doing the same thing you're accusing Game Informer of. They probably give more love to JRPGs than all the other game magazines combined including Edge and Games TM. (Btw, those really are English, which means that they come from England, whereas Game Informer obviously does not.) They just did a spread on Persona and Atlus not too long ago. I haven't checked out the Drakengard 3 review, but I would guess it's by Kimberley Wallace - she reviews all the Japanese game for GI. She also did the Dragonropa review and gave it a stellar review. Next time post something to support your claims.
Even seen game informers flow chart of RPGs? Pointing directly at jrpgs

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/10/21/every-rpg-ever-the-flowchart.aspx

Then their article about problems with jrpgs that are pretty much the staple of nearly all jrpgs?

http://origin-www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/01/28/6549594.aspx

Actually I agree with about every item on the the ways JRPGs can be improved.

Random encounters are old, I like seeing my monsters before I fight them so I can skip them if needed or have the encounter rate thing like Bravely Default. This was great in Chrono Trigger...why other games reverted back...heck if I know.

Side quests that are like bring me 30 pieces of dirt and blah blah blah cause Witch #3 needs it are boring. I remember fun side quests like the one in Star Ocean 2 where I can recruit a whole other party member, have the cooking mini game, item creation, and the dungeon at the end. The game was excellent because of everything you could do and most of the time nowadays side quests are meh and pretty boring. Isn't it also cool when the side quests help you know about side members of the party, or people living in the world. Sounds like a good time to me.

Persona 3 and 4 despite having a fun battle system and such are remembered because we got to know the characters through the social links plus the great story (I was relating a lot of it to myself...not a bad thing at all for a game to make me think about life). I'm all for fluffy stories now and then (like the Hyperdimension Neptunia ones which are fun to play), but it's good to get away from cliches now and then. Sometimes I don't want to save the world, and just want to do other things....

The pacing hurt a lot of people on FFXIII, while the pacing hurt for it's predecessor to me FFXII. I felt by the time I stopped playing the game (around 48 hours) that the cogs of the machine where just turning for the main story. By then I was already kind of bored and I stopped playing for good. I'm not saying all RPGS should be like 8-10 hours but sometimes there is no urgency in the stories and it just keeps dragging. Heck the newest Mario & Luigi game is know for the bad pacing with its tutorials way late into the game. Getting into the action or at least the story at a decent pace helps keep peoples attention.

Filler content...i'm agreeing with the less backtracking (esp with mass random encounters!). Sometimes filler is OK (like mini games or side quests at certain points in the game that are optional...such as that Moogle Mail in FFIX). It is pretty awesome when in a game you visit a town and the people act different towards you depending on where you are in the story. I remember this from games like both Lunar games (excellent games!) and some like Chrono Trigger. If a townperson doesn't tell me anything interesting it's a one and done type thing....will never hear some line again.

Non combat progression is kind of awesome. It gives you something else to do...bit too vague in that article though. I do agree about relationships in games and the social link system is great. In something like Suikoden (please revive this series!) you get to recruit all 101 stars if  you want and in turn build a town usually. It's fun and keeps me going in those games (though the story is excellent in most of the ones I've played....haven't really played 4).

This exploration part goes along with cutting the filler I believe. I remember some old snes, psx whatever RPG games where sometimes you had real cool looking buildings and such, but you couldn't find anything in any of them....there were just barrels, shelves, a bunch of blah and you would just go from point A to point B because why bother. Instead for games where I can get items, meet people, find treasure, get magic extraction points (I probably wouldn't play FF8 now though!), find rare monsters, get songs/crafting recipes/etc..... I want to explore the world and when you're allowed to find things around you'll want to.

That's my 2 cents though and I'm a longtime RPG player from the SNES/Genesis days. RPGs are fun and all, but now being older you really can tell what's special and not. Cookie cutter RPGS are everywhere (hello RPGMaker games and whole lot of others being received) so it's nice when some stand out. I'm sure people wont remember Mind=0 like they will Persona 3/4 or Conception 2...heck I haven't played in about a month and I forgot mostly everything going on except better relationships and eliminate evil popping up in the world.

Nah nitro, just getting old. Nowadays I can hardly stand any jrpg that is turn based, has long animation speeds when it comes to turns, very grindy or jrpgs where the protagonists are kids. I just seem to lose my interest so darn fast. I see people going Pokemon is still amazing but once I try it, i just go..I'm bored....Before these types of rpgs were heck of a lot of fun.

Nah nitro, just getting old. Nowadays I can hardly stand any jrpg that is turn based, has long animation speeds when it comes to turns, very grindy or jrpgs where the protagonists are kids. I just seem to lose my interest so darn fast. I see people going Pokemon is still amazing but once I try it, i just go..I'm bored....Before these types of rpgs were heck of a lot of fun.
We need an optional fast forward button.

I pretty much gave up on Pokemon after Ruby/Sapphire. Just lost my interest.

Have these always been free??
I don't know. I just noticed them now, but judging by the comments on the game's page on Desura, probably.

Are those really Eroge, or are you just saying they're Eroge. Because none of them have 18+ material.

I have played Re:Alistair++, and it has a romance element but is definitely not eroge. None of the others mention being 18+ on their pages that I saw, so I'm gonna guess OP just means they are romance games.
Well, look what happens when I go 20+ hours without sleep. I get stupid in the head. You're right, those aren't eroge. Just romance VNs. Although, an expensive VN on Desura, If My Heart Had Wings, is an 18+ eroge if you download the patch for it online. Neither Steam nor Desura will ever put unmodded eroge on their store, it seems.

We need an optional fast forward button.

I pretty much gave up on Pokemon after Ruby/Sapphire. Just lost my interest.
colosseum and gale of darkness are different enough to be fun romps what with removing the stupid random encounters and gyms and having more of a story focus with double battle standard.

I love JRPGs but over the last 10-15 years, the genre has been awful. 

My biggest issues is usually with length. The days of where JRPGs needed to be "long" really aren't relevant anymore. I would rather play a solid, 20 hour JRPG than one that's 60 hours but filled with unnecessarily long dungeons/levels and/or backtracking. Developers also need to realize that visual presentation takes a backseat to story-telling in JRPGs. SE can add all the feathers to Lightning they want, but it doesn't change the fact she wasn't really all that compelling or interesting. Bravely Default was going well, until the 6th chapter (I think), where I just said WTF happened and stopped playing.

And yes, I'm purposely ragging on SE since it seems like the once great, JRPG houses of Japanese decided to merge and stop trying because people will buy anything with Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest plastered on it. 

Mmm..My issue with SE is that they like the screw their customers. Release DLCs that they go "exclusive pre-order bonus" or "limited edition pre-order bonus" then a month later put it in the online store and act like they never said anything about it being limited edition. 

My biggest issues is usually with length. The days of where JRPGs needed to be "long" really aren't relevant anymore. I would rather play a solid, 20 hour JRPG than one that's 60 hours but filled with unnecessarily long dungeons/levels and/or backtracking. Developers also need to realize that visual presentation takes a backseat to story-telling in JRPGs. SE can add all the feathers to Lightning they want, but it doesn't change the fact she wasn't really all that compelling or interesting. Bravely Default was going well, until the 6th chapter (I think), where I just said WTF happened and stopped playing.

And yes, I'm purposely ragging on SE since it seems like the once great, JRPG houses of Japanese decided to merge and stop trying because people will buy anything with Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest plastered on it.
I found Lightning more compelling and interesting than I found Cloud, and people continue to rave about that game. I'm not actually disagreeing with you. I'd rather have a quality twenty hour game than an inflated sixty hour game, as well.

Mmm..My issue with SE is that they like the screw their customers. Release DLCs that they go "exclusive pre-order bonus" or "limited edition pre-order bonus" then a month later put it in the online store and act like they never said anything about it being limited edition.
I suppose. Better than permanent pre-order bonuses exclusive to a single retailer.

I'd mentioned before I don't recall Sonic Generations pinball DLC ever being sold to the public on 360 or PS3 in the US.

Curious, has Ys: Origin gone down below the $9.99 price point on Steam sales before?
cb1239198c.png

Enhanced steam is awesome :p

true enough but depends on the filler and it has been a problem for much longer than 14 years. ps1 gen at least.

15-30 hours is an excellent range. I would love to see JRPG's fall within there more often.
depends on how well the story is presented as it can vary from game to game. I'd rather the story not be rushed. However a game shouldn't be finished normally in one sitting.

Games kinda vary from person to person though. Like I felt xenogears wild arms 3 and arc the lad 2 are all waaay too long.

Ouch.. Best Buy finally just cancelled my preorder for xblaze code embryo... Never received an email about it either.Took me going through my orders to noticed it was axed. But I lucked out and  my local Gamestop let me buy a copy ahead of the street date, weirdly enough. 

An update for those who were interested in Class of Heroes 2G:

"You're receiving this notice because you signed up for our Class of Heroes 2G for PlayStation 3 poll and indicated you wanted to purchase one or more copies of the limited-edition physical game.
We wanted to let you know that presales of the game will be live on www.gaijinworks.com starting tomorrow at 12:00 PST and will remain open for one month. After this period closes, we will gently and lovingly manufacture only enough product to cover the amount ordered, and then the game will only be available digitally on PSN until our contract runs out, or the apocalypse/rapture arrives, whichever comes first.  Check the website main page tomorrow at noon for more details!
Thanks for your support!"
GAIJINWORKS

I suppose. Better than permanent pre-order bonuses exclusive to a single retailer.

I'd mentioned before I don't recall Sonic Generations pinball DLC ever being sold to the public on 360 or PS3 in the US.
Didn't even know about this. Watched a video about it and totally want it.

Meh. I'd love to see the EO games on a better platform. Oh well.
For me it's meh I'd rather not see more remakes in the series though 2 was likely my favorite of the original trilogy (I also liked 3 but that was because it was a bit easier and I got through it at a steady pace).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back