Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just ask here...anyone else order the Xillia 2 Collectors Edition from Best Buy and have a "invalid payment" warning on the order? I called and was told my CID number is bad, but the same card is fine on my other 10 or so preorders and works everywhere else. Wondering if like Rorona and Xblaze I should just expect this as a precursor to cancellation....or actually go with the hassle of switching all my preorders to the new card they are sending.

I'll just ask here...anyone else order the Xillia 2 Collectors Edition from Best Buy and have a "invalid payment" warning on the order? I called and was told my CID number is bad, but the same card is fine on my other 10 or so preorders and works everywhere else. Wondering if like Rorona and Xblaze I should just expect this as a precursor to cancellation....or actually go with the hassle of switching all my preorders to the new card they are sending.
probably, since they delisted the tales of xilla 2 collectors edition. i would contact bestbuy to find out

Eternal Session, on 12 Jul 2014 - 4:22 PM, said:
I was able to get the LE of Xillia for $20 last BF. Even if Xillia 2 had a day-one edition, I wouldn't bother with getting it day-one since you could probably gotten it for cheap later on down the line.
since they have been dropping the price pretty regularly after release, I would wait too since I love collectors editions but that for 130 is ridiculous seeing its just thrown together crap to get the price up after what xillia one demanded. will get the collectors guide right away just in case it sells out and it comes with dlc codes

Boss★Moogle, on 12 Jul 2014 - 4:33 PM, said:
Yeah I would've bought it too to make sure i got it and to support Tales, but if they're gonna treat me like an undeserving second class citizen well then I can wait.

Well that makes me feel a little better I suppose as MetalPaks are nowhere near as cool as SteelBooks.
apparently going through customs in a couple dozen countries is less expensive then going through this one, the whole of industry over their with the anti American attitude is crap, getting tired of this treatment also plus the pushing digital crap is getting old

Starcrest, on 12 Jul 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:
I liked tonelico 1 & 2 but the translation job on qoga was so bad i couldn't finish the game. Koei's translation on the latest atellier wasn't quite as bad, but combined with how dull it was, i couldnt finish that either. Do you guys have any reason to believe Surge is going to be a better effort?
never played the 1st or 2nd but did the third and still enjoyed that type of game, translation wise, its nis's fault as they have reiterated in a recent post that they like to change around the translation even though there not even close to what the original lines were because it gives them uniqueness and they said they know what fans want in stories, unless somebody is a Neptune fan, most people know nis is crap. at least enough people bombed their site in disgust to criminal girls, enough to get them to explain why their butchering the game. I would just go over to their forums, their not about the fans, but enough people get on them and they might ditch the heavy censoring garbage. xseed doesn't censor except ages, no reason they have to .

I had never heard of this game. I was in a GameStop killing time today and saw it for $10 new

Trinity Souls of Zill O'll

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/trinity-souls-of-zill-oll/89704

I took it up to the counter asking if they had a sealed copy. I expected them to say no, since it looks like the game came out in 2011. But he pulled out a drawer and there were at least 20 sealed ones. Wtf. Why do they have so many? Did they really overestimate their stock that badly 3 years ago?

I had never heard of this game. I was in a GameStop killing time today and saw it for $10 new

Trinity Souls of Zill O'll

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/trinity-souls-of-zill-oll/89704

I took it up to the counter asking if they had a sealed copy. I expected them to say no, since it looks like the game came out in 2011. But he pulled out a drawer and there were at least 20 sealed ones. Wtf. Why do they have so many? Did they really overestimate their stock that badly 3 years ago?
I remember it being hard to find at one point before the sprout of new copies everywhere. I enjoyed it since it plays like the Musou series. :)

It looked kinda neat, so I grabbed it.

Reviews trash it. But with niche games I've basically learned that if they say it's good: It's probably good. If they say it's bad, you just need to do some more research.

youtube gameplay if ya don't believe reviews.  Sure its not gonna answer everything but it can be helpful. Try to see if there are any positive ones.  Something like foto showdown isn't bad its just meh as an example

Bought it day 1, I think I got stuck not knowing where to go next so I stopped playing it. 

If it would have been turn based instead of action I might have kept playing, maybe finish it in a few more years.

I actually picked up Trinity Souls from my local GameStop. I didn't get that far into it, but for what I paid for I'm happy with. It's made by Omega Force who have done the Dynasty Warrior games. Trinity Souls, has some repetition but that should be expected considering who made it. The combat is also fast and it plays well. I'd say it's underrated and/or a hidden title, but it isn't on the level of other JRPG's/Japanese games with high budgets.

so best buy got back to my email about the persona LE thing and are also mailing me a $30 gift card (like others got by calling)... so I guess I will just wait for that to come and then reorder the LE using the GC.

Dude, if I keep listening to you every time you say "do ittyttt" I'd be broke, and probably have a pissed off husband.

But yes, I would like to buy it, maybe if I get some more giftcards :D
That's why I don't tell my fiance, lol. We're getting married in November, so I'm taking advantage of separate bank accounts while I still can. :D/

Right now I have at least 5 pre-orders, so I'll have to pass on the Ar Nosurge CE....until it huts under 25% and guilt myself into it.

so best buy got back to my email about the persona LE thing and are also mailing me a $30 gift card (like others got by calling)... so I guess I will just wait for that to come and then reorder the LE using the GC.
What did you say in your e-mail? I'm going to try contacting them too and my hope is that if I'm consistent I might get the same results. :p

I didn't have any involvement in that whole Best Buy Persona Q mixup, but I'm wondering whether I should preorder the LE from them anyway. I already have an order with Amazon, but would rather not get yet another bubble-mailered 3DS LE from them if I can. Is Best Buy's online store reliable?

I didn't have any involvement in that whole Best Buy Persona Q mixup, but I'm wondering whether I should preorder the LE from them anyway. I already have an order with Amazon, but would rather not get yet another bubble-mailered 3DS LE from them if I can. Is Best Buy's online store reliable?
Best Buy shipping is a lot better than amazon. People were getting damaged Bravely Default CE from amazon since they use bubble mailer, but BBY used box and most were fine.

Best Buy shipping is a lot better than amazon. People were getting damaged Bravely Default CE from amazon since they use bubble mailer, but BBY used box and most were fine.
BB will often over sale, or have worse CS than Amazon, but I have to agree their shipping is way better. I received my bravely default from BB within 1 day, with a big box and proper packaging. Sadly, Amazon more often than not damages almost everything I ever order from them(books, games, etc.), but they will replace everything as many times as it takes, except for LE, which for obvious reason will no longer be available.

That's why I don't tell my fiance, lol. We're getting married in November, so I'm taking advantage of separate bank accounts while I still can. :D/

Right now I have at least 5 pre-orders, so I'll have to pass on the Ar Nosurge CE....until it huts under 25% and guilt myself into it.
I've been telling my husband that my giftcards from swag bucks paid for it, which is for the most part true. We've been married 5 years though and I think the amount of video games I have and want and my willingness to buy them still stuns him. He's not a gamer though so this might be part of it as well

Edit: or I tell him I preordered it a long time ago to keep track of price and forgot about it when it shows up ;)

The Bravely Debacle is why I asked in the first place. I've been very lucky, condition-wise, with 3DS LEs/first-press versions from Amazon so far, but they still sent me Bravely, Project X Zone, etc. in bubble mailers. Needless to say, I didn't feel like pushing my luck this time.

BB will often over sale, or have worse CS than Amazon, but I have to agree their shipping is way better. I received my bravely default from BB within 1 day, with a big box and proper packaging. Sadly, Amazon more often than not damages almost everything I ever order from them(books, games, etc.), but they will replace everything as many times as it takes, except for LE, which for obvious reason will no longer be available.
So, basically my choices are either bad shipping or bad inventory management/customer service… bleah.

Ended up placing a preorder at Best Buy, but holding on to my Amazon one as well. We'll see how things go, I guess.

What did you say in your e-mail? I'm going to try contacting them too and my hope is that if I'm consistent I might get the same results. :p
word for word I said

I wanted to know what is going on with my order. I ordered Persona Q Shadow of the Labyrinth The Wild Cards Premium Edition, I have emails and images saying as such, but if I click my order now it goes to the standard edition. I have not been notified of this change, and it’s not what I ordered, it feels kind of like bait and switch.

I was wondering why this is going on, and if it was some sort of issue with the original order why you would just transfer the order to the standard version instead of cancelling it and telling me that I would have to preorder again. Anyway, I hope you can resolve this issue, and want to thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond to my inquiry.

Gamestop hasn't updated their listing yet, but I'd be surprised if the NISA LE doesn't have it. Hopefully they'll confirm one way or the other.

Surely the Gamestop stuff will be on PSN. If not, oh well, physical > digital goods!

Hate hate hate it when those big three (Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy) have those varying digital exclusives. I end up so undecided I end up passing those games up. Not that Assassin's Creed needed my help anyway.

They're usually just crutches anyway. AKA bought cheat codes, IMO, though it does also feel like cut content on the other hand.

I'm going with NISA's online LE. I'd be a fool not to!

hey imagamer, on 14 Jul 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:
Surely the Gamestop stuff will be on PSN. If not, oh well, physical > digital goods!

Hate hate hate it when those big three (Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy) have those varying digital exclusives. I end up so undecided I end up passing those games up. Not that Assassin's Creed needed my help anyway.

They're usually just crutches anyway. AKA bought cheat codes, IMO, though it does also feel like cut content on the other hand.

I'm going with NISA's online LE. I'd be a fool not to!
getting the LE also, as far as I know, only amazon with the gear for toukiden was really exclusive and could only get when preordering, fox accessories which weren't sold on psn, usually gamestop just has dlc that is already in the game or you will be able to buy it when its released later so until somebody confirms that preordering is the only way to get those, better off with the LE

I just never seen NISA have a brick+mortar exclusive like that. Also Gamestop didn't state exclusive.

Worst, or yet better case scenario, the codes may show up on eBay, and if the items do go on PSN, they'd also likely have to undercut the PSN price in order to be lucrative for they Gamestop employees that will be 5-fingering them.

The Ar no Surge LE looks nice, but I think I'm going to go with Gamestop this time because I would have it nearly paid off after transferring my ~$50 preorder towards Mario Kart 8 (I got a copy from somewhere else) and I have credit there to pay for the remaining balance, plus I don't feel very comfortable shelling out $64.99 "cash" for the LE when I don't have to.

Also old news at this point, but Muramasa Rebirth free for PS+ this month is TOTALLY AWESOME. Beating bosses on fury mode is both as frustrating and rewarding as a Souls or Mega Man game, though the game is nothing like Souls or MM, the game is just so good...

Also old news at this point, but Muramasa Rebirth free for PS+ this month is TOTALLY AWESOME. Beating bosses on fury mode is both as frustrating and rewarding as a Souls or Mega Man game, though the game is nothing like Souls or MM, the game is just so good...
Eh. It was alright. The constant running back and forth across (mostly) empty screens was a huge annoyance. I absolutely hated the fight setup as well, where you come across an encounter and then you're locked into a small screen area. That would have been fine, but the enemies weren't locked into the same area and would constantly go off to either side, leaving you standing on an empty screen waiting for them to return so you could kill them.

It's pretty as hell, and mostly satisfying (some of the monsters and level designs were just stupid), but as soon as I finished Monohime's story I was done with it due to the issues above.

I agree with the above post, though still find it very fun. It's very easy to just pick up and play for a little, then put down, so the consistent empty running doesn't get TOO bad.

Plus it's VERY forgiving -- die and you can replay the enemy at full health (even a normal one) without losing any items you may have used.

I agree with the above post, though still find it very fun. It's very easy to just pick up and play for a little, then put down, so the consistent empty running doesn't get TOO bad.

Plus it's VERY forgiving -- die and you can replay the enemy at full health (even a normal one) without losing any items you may have used.
Ah I still haven't played this game but I did play Odin's Sphere which IMHO wasn't very forgiving as sometimes you needed to farm for souls/food. I'll have to play it for sure!

I've been telling my husband that my giftcards from swag bucks paid for it, which is for the most part true. We've been married 5 years though and I think the amount of video games I have and want and my willingness to buy them still stuns him. He's not a gamer though so this might be part of it as well

Edit: or I tell him I preordered it a long time ago to keep track of price and forgot about it when it shows up ;)
I am in the same boat. My wife sees stuff come in the mail all the time, and asks if I used our credit card for it.

She is really gonna freak out when a PS4 shows up in a few months!

Those Swagbucks and Bing Rewards gift cards go a long way toward helping me keep up with my habit.

I am in the same boat. My wife sees stuff come in the mail all the time, and asks if I used our credit card for it.

She is really gonna freak out when a PS4 shows up in a few months!

Those Swagbucks and Bing Rewards gift cards go a long way toward helping me keep up with my habit.
How are you getting Swagbucks and Bing Rewards gift cards? Not sure how both of these work. If there's anything that can reduce my spending out of pocket, I would be glad to know this.

Also, anyone saw that virtual reality headset made by the Senran Kagura team? It is not really being made, but is still pretty funny.

Ah I still haven't played this game but I did play Odin's Sphere which IMHO wasn't very forgiving as sometimes you needed to farm for souls/food. I'll have to play it for sure!
Opposite for me, and if Odin's Sphere is anything like similar to Muramasa that is going to be terrible since I didn't enjoy the backtracking in it.

How are you getting Swagbucks and Bing Rewards gift cards? Not sure how both of these work. If there's anything that can reduce my spending out of pocket, I would be glad to know this.

Also, anyone saw that virtual reality headset made by the Senran Kagura team? It is not really being made, but is still pretty funny.
Bing reward is simple. Sign up, and do search on bing. You get 15 credit for 30 searches each day, 20 mobile search for another 10 credit. You also get other credit by clicking on links. 470 credit gets you $5 amazon or gamestop giftcard.

My referreal link btw: http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?PUBL=REFERAFRIEND&CREA=RAW&rrid=_ca94bfa3-4a2e-f38d-18a7-dfdfa85a243c

Bing reward is simple. Sign up, and do search on bing. You get 15 credit for 30 searches each day, 20 mobile search for antoher 10 credit. 470 credit gets you $5 amazon or gamestop giftcard.
Seems easy enough. Wish I would have known this earlier. Will be signing up later.

Seems easy enough. Wish I would have known this earlier. Will be signing up later.
Don't redeem until you reach Gold status. Gold status brings the price down to 475 (its really 475) for $5 amazon/gamestop. You can also redeem 470 for a $5 tango card, and use that to get a $5 amazon gc, which is what I do to save 5 points.

Don't redeem until you reach Gold status. Gold status brings the price down to 475 (its really 475) for $5 amazon/gamestop. You can also redeem 470 for a $5 tango card, and use that to get a $5 amazon gc, which is what I do to save 5 points.
Thanks for the tip. To reach gold status though, it looks like I need to redeem credits for my first reward, so that cannot be avoided...

are you talking about this trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i1HWbY-HFc

Is Ar No Surge going to be a limited print game?

September is going to be hell on my wallet and the game looks good, but I would prefer to wait to buy it, lol.

Agreed, its great. I've enjoyed it and the dlc as well. Still waiting for the fourth one. :)

That is so tempting, but would rather wait for Black Friday, myself. Sooner or later, console prices will go down.
Yup! I shoulda pointed out that I'm really just happy to see potential for a $350, or dare I say $320, PS4 for the patient.

The beauty of loving the RPGs and niche scene is that I'll still have plenty of fine games to keep me busy on the PS3.

(Really I feel upgrading to PS4 would be a sin before first upgrading to a new TV, which is a separate waiting game entirely.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back