Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do CE's from Amazon that tend to be larger have a lot of shipping issues as well? I reserved Xillia 2 CE through them and heard a ton of horror stories with smaller titles in bubble mailers but not much on larger CE's.

Do CE's from Amazon that tend to be larger have a lot of shipping issues as well? I reserved Xillia 2 CE through them and heard a ton of horror stories with smaller titles in bubble mailers but not much on larger CE's.
Tales of Symphonia CE came perfect. Think the issue was with 3DS CE's, since they can fit in a bubble mailer, Amazon will ship cheapest even if you pay for prime.

Tales of Symphonia CE came perfect. Think the issue was with 3DS CE's, since they can fit in a bubble mailer, Amazon will ship cheapest even if you pay for prime.
It really depends on the individual Amazon warehouse. I have had plenty of large CEs that were shipped in a box turn up damaged. Sometimes they pull the games out of the manufacturer's cardboard shipping box and stick it in the wrong size cardboard box and it ends up bouncing around and getting dented. Other times they leave it in the manufacturer's cardboard shipping box and because it's so form fitting, it ends up getting dented and creased. I've also received large CE's where the shipping box looks perfect but the game was obviously placed on some sort of conveyor belt or other piece of machinery that ended up tearing the slip cover or poking holes in the packaging. It's really hit and miss and if you're sensitive about condition, Amazon is a gamble to be sure.

This kind of makes me happy...I know it's a bit off topic although it does deal with Niche games...and sales...in a way haha.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/18/mangagamer-profits-come/

I will continue supporting them....I usually buy 3 of their yearly releases. I've been waiting for Imouto Paradise for a while so glad it's finally coming in August.

You can always tell where your money goes with the smaller companies.
If MangaGamer ever starts turning a real profit, maybe Steam will drop their taboo of carrying the games that actually make a profit.

My husband and I tend to buy our Blizzard CEs (him: WoW, me: SC2) through them, and haven't had any problems with those so far *knocks on wood* It seems like you only really have to worry if the LE/CE is for a 3DS game, which they tend to ship in bubble mailers.

Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure free Key when voting yes on Steam and then joining the group and put an I voted comment on group page I believe.

Steam Greenlight page - Link

Forum page to join - Link

Excellent game perfect for us niche fans! I would have bought it and voted it eventually, but I'm not questioning it. One of the better looking games to do that Greenlight it and give keys for votes. 

If there are still any other PSP owners out there that like playing JRPG's on it, you can get Ragnarok Tactics brand new for less than $14 shipped right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008BERJEM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1405734864&sr=1-1
I like that game. Bought it on PSN full price when it came out and had fun playing it for a couple weeks, then bought it for $9.99 brand new back in mid-December also from Amazon itself.

Seeking some Atelier advice.

I'm thinking about starting the Arland series.

Rorona is first right? Should I play it first?

I own:

Rorona, Totori, Totori Plus, Meruru, Meruru Plus.

But I don't own Rorona Plus. I didn't keep up with which one was first when I bought them on sale. Seems kind of strange that Rorona is first chronologically and only just recently has a Plus release.

If I should play Rorona first.. I already own the original, but would have to buy Plus. Is Rorona Plus so much better?

Rorona Plus is a remake not an expanded give all the DLC version like the other plus versions. The graphics are remade and some gameplay enhancements from future games are in the game as well. Kind of like the Neptunia Vita game we're getting remaking the first one. The first one isn't unplayable but I found it tough to get a good ending...you may fare better...it wasn't terrible or anything of course, just a little bit unforgiving.

Neptunia is an excellent analogy. Thank you.

I haven't played any Atelier games yet. I think I should probably start with Rorona Plus.

Rorona Plus is a remake not an expanded give all the DLC version like the other plus versions. The graphics are remade and some gameplay enhancements from future games are in the game as well. Kind of like the Neptunia Vita game we're getting remaking the first one. The first one isn't unplayable but I found it tough to get a good ending...you may fare better...it wasn't terrible or anything of course, just a little bit unforgiving.
the first rorona game was great in small bursts... it was horrible and repetitive in a long run.

neptunia was the opposite... it was horrible in bursts (and just ok in long plays) because it didn't give you time to dull your senses to the absolute crap fest everything aside from the jokes were >.>;

the first rorona game was great in small bursts... it was horrible and repetitive in a long run.

neptunia was the opposite... it was horrible in bursts (and just ok in long plays) because it didn't give you time to dull your senses to the absolute crap fest everything aside from the jokes were >.>;
When you say the first Rorona game, do you mean original or Plus?

When you say the first Rorona game, do you mean original or Plus?
the original... I haven't played plus yet but I have to imagine it plays a lot better.

the problem with the original is it's basically the same exact thing done something like 12 times over with very little free time to do anything but that thing over and over unless you know what you are doing.

I enjoyed it, but I played it in 2 hour chunks a few days apart from each other and have no motivation to ever go back and play the original again. I will likely give plus a try sometime when it's cheap on the vita though.

I found it hard in the original Rorona to do both the tasks to progress the story and also do the tasks to please the villagers. I never seemed to have enough time to do both. Maybe it was just me, so I pretty much was thrown into tbe bad ending of completing the tasks but not pleasing the people. I'm usually great with time management games too.

well with atelier if it works like ayesha did you have to make the decrease world map travel shoes and other stuff as quick as possible. with those made it helps a little but yeah the game gives little wiggle room with the time management so essentially its like persona. you either follow a guide or you wont finish the social links. Which is what I don't like about atelier.  that and the story an characters are practically nonexistent.

I just purchased a Vita. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for the best games of this genre for the Vita. 

Also is anyone buying Akiba's Strip Day 1 and for which system? PS3 or Vita?

I just purchased a Vita. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for the best games of this genre for the Vita.

I'm getting Akiba's Trip on ps3 but I'm thinking of switching it to vita. Also some good games on vita to check out

UPDATED LIST

RPG's

P4G - Of Course

Disgaea 3

Atelier games - if you are in to those

Final Fantasy X HD

Child of Light

YS 4 ( :whistle2: )

Dungeon Crawlers:
Demon Gaze

Adventure:
DanganRonpa
Virtue's Last Reward

Action/Adventure:
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
Ninja Gaiden 1 - Solid port first game I bought and beat on the system.

Gravity Rush - try the demo to see if you like it first

Soul Sacrifice Delta - Fast Paced Hunting game with a cool story. Also focuses on spells instead of straight melee weapons.

Metal Gear HD collection - Really Solid port and includes the msx games as well

Muramasa Rebirth

Dragons Crown

Toukiden

Uncharted - This game is really fun don't let the haters fool you

Killzone Mercenary

Rhythm:

DJ MAX Techinka Tune - Because hot girls dancing

Project diva f

Platformers:

Limbo

Spelunky

Rayman Games

Guacamelee

Sly Cooper Collection

Sly 4

Tearaway - Because this game should have sold better

Fighters:

Dead or Alive 5

Street Fighter X Tekken

Mortal Kombat (ugly but solid port)

UMVC 3 - really good port.

Blazblue

Racers:

Sonic All Stars

Wipeout

Ridge Racer

Puzzle:

Lumines

Just some of the top of my head. Now if you are willing to pick up some psp and ps1 games I can help you out with that too but this should get you started.

stealth edit :whistle2: :whistle2:

I have brought Dishonor for missing so many games :whistle2:?

I also recommend for Monster Hunter like game Toukiden although the missions become extremely repetitive. The game was fun for the 40 or so hours I played it.

Also Akiba's trip for Vita for me. I've heard PS3 version isn't too much different, so portable gaming it is!

RPG's

P4G - Of Course

Disgaea 3

Atelier games - if you are in to those

Final Fantasy X HD

Child of Light

Action/Adventure:

Gravity Rush - try the demo to see if you like it first

Soul Sacrifice Delta - Fast Paced Hunting game with a cool story. Also focuses on spells instead of straight melee weapons.

Metal Gear HD collection - Really Solid port and includes the msx games as well

Muramasa Rebirth

Dragons Crown
Missing Ys: Memories of Celceta and Toukiden. :shame:

The only other games I could suggest would be Mind Zero and Conception II. I still haven't played Valhalla Knights 3 so maybe someone can touch on that. There's also Dynasty Warriors.

As for Akiba, I'll be getting it for Vita.

Thank you for the recommendations. I really appreciate it. I have a few of those thanks to PS+. 

I'm having a hard time trying to pick which version of Akiba's Trip...I'm really considering getting both...or hoping they might have it cross buy or something digitally but I doubt it. 

I'm having a hard time trying to pick which version of Akiba's Trip...I'm really considering getting both...or hoping they might have it cross buy or something digitally but I doubt it.
Its really up to your preference to play it on the go or play at home. Akiba's Trip was made for the Vita and then ported to PS3, but there are no differences between the two (same loading times, graphics, etc). The JP Vita version of Akiba's Trip has an AR card viewer mode, but I haven't read anything that said it was going to be included in the NA version or not.

Thank you for the recommendations. I really appreciate it. I have a few of those thanks to PS+.

Considering it's natively built for the Vita and being ported to the PS3 (and PS4, correct me if I'm wrong), I'd go with the Vita version :) At least that's what I'm doing. Plus it's $10 less :p

Game is fun but it is pretty difficult at least compared to things like Miku and Threatrhythm. It sort of reminds me of Beatmania~
Fun game, I played it via Gamefly a while back but as much as I love trophies, could not even get close to the plat in that. The game is haaaard at higher difficulties.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth full retail price. If you can find it for $20/25, pick it up. But it never goes on sale so... :/

i'm buying it day 1... for vita. i was going to get ps3 first but i've been playing that less. i'll get the ps3 ver later for trophies

PrinnyOtaku, on 19 Jul 2014 - 3:17 PM, said:
Fun game, I played it via Gamefly a while back but as much as I love trophies, could not even get close to the plat in that. The game is haaaard at higher difficulties.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth full retail price. If you can find it for $20/25, pick it up. But it never goes on sale so... :/
I never played it because I suck at rhythm games with theater being the only one that is easy enough ( though the guy who did senran says he made it easier to do so you could pay more attention to the background and not the usual rhythm commands) to play, but if its not in English, I would just import the best of copy as its cheaper and has all the extras.

How is Djmax Technika Tune? Looking it up, it has definitely caught my interest.
I loooooove DJMAX Technika Tune. It's the only Platinum Trophy I have. It was really rewarding and fun to get.

Physical copies were only sold directly by Pentavision for a limited time, so they'll probably be kind of pricey.

Digitally I think it sits are $45 and basically never goes on sale..

It's an odd game in that it also saves to the cartridge. I tried to let me fiancee borrow mine, but it said if she wanted to earn trophies it would have to wipe my save. o_o I took it back.

I haven't seen anything, but has gamestop announced a limited edition for tales yet? xillia 2 or heart
I have seen nothing of LE for either games announced here for the US, though if it was announced for EU I hope at the very least it should be coming here.

Pheria, on 19 Jul 2014 - 5:04 PM, said:
I loooooove DJMAX Technika Tune. It's the only Platinum Trophy I have. It was really rewarding and fun to get.

Physical copies were only sold directly by Pentavision for a limited time, so they'll probably be kind of pricey.

Digitally I think it sits are $45 and basically never goes on sale..

It's an odd game in that it also saves to the cartridge. I tried to let me fiancee borrow mine, but it said if she wanted to earn trophies it would have to wipe my save. o_o I took it back.
yah I have complained to sony before about that save crap, their statement was its up to each publisher, they wouldn't give me a list either for which ones, I know marvelous is one of them that are like that, somebody tried to start a list on gamefaqs but I didn't go far, I know that kind of tactics are mostly practiced in japan where ds games are permanent, its to curb the used market and get people to buy new all the time at higher prices, Nintendo tried that crap when the 3ds launched here, didn't sit well so they stopped but they are strongly encouraging companies to make games with only 1 save slot to curb people away

mawarup, on 19 Jul 2014 - 5:17 PM, said:
I have seen nothing of LE for either games announced here for the US, though if it was announced for EU I hope at the very least it should be coming here.
if xiliia is just another artbook or cd so help me god....since they have dropped in price so quick after launch I am defiantly gonna wait, only concerned about getting the collectors guide and a copy of hearts. I believe xillia dropped to 40 a little over a month later and even went to 15 digital 3 months later, since all these games are catchup to japan, prices shouldn't hold long, since zestria is supposed to be worldwide next year, that will probably keep regular price a little longer than these

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back