Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So as someone new to this thread, and to random japanese games in general, what are some of the ones that I have missed out on.  I have been starting to play games like Drakengard 3 and Dragon's Crown on my PS3.  As well as some smaller indie like ones on my PC.  I just got the last Humble bundle for them.  But am I missing some interesting or otherwise well know ones within this community that I haven't been seeing.  The Tales games seem to be brought up a lot, as does others like Persona that I am not familiar with.  Just someone interested yet still very new into these types of games.

Is Last Rebellion worth playing? I listened to some of it's soundtrack on youtube and liked what I heard.

Whinterfell Here's some games to check out

Persona 3 & 4

Final Fantasy Games 

Tales of Symphonia/Vesperia

Ni No Kuni

Shin Megami Tensei Games

that should get you started

Is Last Rebellion worth playing? I listened to some of it's soundtrack on youtube and liked what I heard.

Whinterfell Here's some games to check out

Persona 3 & 4

Final Fantasy Games

Tales of Symphonia/Vesperia

Ni No Kuni

Shin Megami Tensei Games

that should get you started
LR is supposed to be pretty bad from comments I've seen. I haven't really read reviews, but I know it gets bad ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_ryEALMWQ

So as someone new to this thread, and to random japanese games in general, what are some of the ones that I have missed out on. I have been starting to play games like Drakengard 3 and Dragon's Crown on my PS3. As well as some smaller indie like ones on my PC. I just got the last Humble bundle for them. But am I missing some interesting or otherwise well know ones within this community that I haven't been seeing. The Tales games seem to be brought up a lot, as does others like Persona that I am not familiar with. Just someone interested yet still very new into these types of games.
akibas trip

mugen soulz

Senran Kagura

So as someone new to this thread, and to random japanese games in general, what are some of the ones that I have missed out on. I have been starting to play games like Drakengard 3 and Dragon's Crown on my PS3. As well as some smaller indie like ones on my PC. I just got the last Humble bundle for them. But am I missing some interesting or otherwise well know ones within this community that I haven't been seeing. The Tales games seem to be brought up a lot, as does others like Persona that I am not familiar with. Just someone interested yet still very new into these types of games.
Catherine.

Valkyria Chronicles.

In regards to Persona, I recommend the enhanced versions. Persona 3 FES, Persona 3 Portable, and the definitive Persona 4 Golden.

I don't know if many people like this game, but Project Sylpheed. Definitely one of my favorite games of the last generation.

Repetitive and very linear. Easy platinum and short, if you care.

That's pretty broad... But maybe these will get you started:

Traditional turn-based: Final Fantasy X, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Bravely Default, Super Robot Wars OG Saga Endless Frontier (what a mouthful)

SRPGs: Final Fantasy Tactics (preferably WotL), Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles

First person dungeon crawlers: Etrian Odyssey IV, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Other dungeon crawlers: ZHP Unlosing Ranger, Guided Fate Paradox, Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Curry God

Perverted: Akiba'Strip, Senran Kagura, Gal Gun

Loli-heavy: Monster Monpiece, Mugen Souls

Quirky: No More Heroes, Katamari Damacy

Visual novels: Steins;gate, Corpse Party, 999, Danganronpa

Otome: Hakuouki

Rhythm: Project Diva f, Theatrhythm, Persona 4: Dancing All Night

Idol: Idolm@ster, and um, Idolm@ster.

Others: Half-Minute Hero,

That's pretty broad... But maybe these will get you started:

Traditional turn-based: Final Fantasy X, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Bravely Default, Super Robot Wars OG Saga Endless Frontier (what a mouthful)

SRPGs: Final Fantasy Tactics (preferably WotL), Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles

First person dungeon crawlers: Etrian Odyssey IV, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Other dungeon crawlers: ZHP Unlosing Ranger, Guided Fate Paradox, Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Curry God

Perverted: Akiba'Strip, Senran Kagura, Gal Gun

Loli-heavy: Monster Monpiece, Mugen Souls

Quirky: No More Heroes, Katamari Damacy

Visual novels: Steins;gate, Corpse Party, 999, Danganronpa

Otome: Hakuouki

Rhythm: Project Diva f, Theatrhythm, Persona 4: Dancing All Night

Idol: Idolm@ster, and um, Idolm@ster.

Others: Half-Minute Hero,
Good list right here.

also hatsune miku project diva f
Yes, Zeki.

NISA apologized for it and refused to advertise it if that says anything about it.

Once we got Last Rebellion we realized it was not the kind of title we should release in the United States because of its quality. I feel really sorry for our customers because we released that title. That?s why I told Nao (PR Manager) we have to release the announcement for Last Rebellion, but never push that title. We cannot say it?s a really great title. We felt really sorry, but we had no choice to release that.

I don't know if many people like this game, but Project Sylpheed. Definitely one of my favorite games of the last generation.
I tried to play it, but I couldn't figure it out. Never got past the first stage or level or whatever it was.

(Which reminds me, there's also bullet-hell games and similar. And card games. And tons of other random games.)

Edit: And I forgot Infinite Space, my second favorite game after the Etrian Odyssey games around that time.

I recommend Time and Eternity

i agree, it is a classic masterpiece /must own. and also folklore
You're mistaken. Folklore was a piece of crap. You must meant to have recommended masterpieces like Generations of Chaos, Operation Darkness, Chaos Wars, Baroque, and the best ending of all time, Eternal Sonata.

I tried to play it, but I couldn't figure it out. Never got past the first stage or level or whatever it was.
It definitely has a learning curve. Took me about two stages before I fully understood the controls and about half the game before I fully mastered it, I think.

It gets really fun once you get better ships and weapons.

OK so I think I got some good ideas now.  Just a small list to start.

Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Vesperia
Shin Megami Tensei
Mugen Soulz
Senran Kagura
Catherine
Project Sylpheed
Disgaea
Gal Gun
Monster Monpiece
Etrain Odyssey IV
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Corpse Party
Steins Gate
Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Curry God
Time and Eternity
Generations of Chaos
Operation Darkness
Chaos Wars
Baroque
Eternal Sonata

I may be busy for a while.  Also I never thought of some of these games I use to play as Japanese niche games.  Old Ace Combat games, Armored core, Devil may Cry.  Guess I was into the stuff before even knowing it, even if it was just the bare surface.

Thank you all for the help and getting me started on at least some kind of path.

They were messing with you because Mugen Soulz, Time and Eternity, Generations of Chaos, Operation Darkness, and Chaos Wars are complete crap.

OK so I think I got some good ideas now. Just a small list to start.

Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Vesperia
Shin Megami Tensei
Senran Kagura
Catherine
Project Sylpheed
Disgaea
Etrain Odyssey IV
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Eternal Sonata

I may be busy for a while. Also I never thought of some of these games I use to play as Japanese niche games. Old Ace Combat games, Armored core, Devil may Cry. Guess I was into the stuff before even knowing it, even if it was just the bare surface.

Thank you all for the help and getting me started on at least some kind of path.
Like the poster before me said, they were screwing with you on several of those games. Be aware that if you get into Disgaea just one entry can easily eat up 200+ hours of your time. I modified your list for what I would consider a good start but it will take a long, long time.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I would have to edit that list anyway based on what systems I own, and how hard or easy the games themselves are to get.

Also does anyone know about The Witch and the hundred Knight?  Seen it when looking at the others on Amazon.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I would have to edit that list anyway based on what systems I own, and how hard or easy the games themselves are to get.

Also does anyone know about The Witch and the hundred Knight? Seen it when looking at the others on Amazon.
it is like an jrpg version of diablo 3

Thanks for the feedback guys. I would have to edit that list anyway based on what systems I own, and how hard or easy the games themselves are to get.

Also does anyone know about The Witch and the hundred Knight? Seen it when looking at the others on Amazon.
It's on sale right now on gamefly actually. I think I paid $15 for mine and I feel that was a fair price for it. Not an amazing game but fun enough.

Decided I am gonna wait on Natural Doctrine till it's cheap. Not that it looks bad or anything but I know it will take me about a good 5-6 months to even think about booting this game up, lol.

Probably going to also wait till ToX 2 and Ar No Surge is cheap as well. I mean I own ToX, ToS, TotA, ToGF and I haven't played one of them yet. I did play ToS back in the GCN days though.

It's a pretty fun hack-n-slash that I'd throw into the mix for a change of pace. I also like the Hyperdimension Neptunia Games as well as maybe check out Lost Odyssey on the 360. I thought it was a fantastic game with a great storyline.

Natural Doctrine for PS4 on Amazon is back up to $60 - That didn't last long.

My order still says $40 though, so thanks to mass effect avatar guy/gal. You were right. :D

Natural Doctrine for PS4 on Amazon is back up to $60 - That didn't last long.

My order still says $40 though, so thanks to mass effect avatar guy/gal. You were right. :D
I assume you mean me, but...that's Jim Caviezel from Person of Interest; I never noticed that it kind of looks like Shepard. :lol:

last rebelion is so bad the company that brought it over apologized. :whistle2:&
For all the hate last rebellion gets, I've played games that were much less fun. Neptunia 1 and Cross Edge come to mind, with their incredibly dull, drawn out battles, trophies hidden behind hours and hours of unnecessary grinding, and impossible to find secrets required for "best" endings.

Witch and the Hundred Knight isn't rally  "like Diablo" and it's definetly not "hack and slash". It's completely turned based for starters. It's firmy in the genre of "Japanese roguelike" which also includes Mystery Dungeon games, Azure Dreams, Zettai Hero Project (which this is somewhat of a spiritual sequal to), etc etc

Decided I am gonna wait on Natural Doctrine till it's cheap. Not that it looks bad or anything but I know it will take me about a good 5-6 months to even think about booting this game up, lol.

Probably going to also wait till ToX 2 and Ar No Surge is cheap as well. I mean I own ToX, ToS, TotA, ToGF and I haven't played one of them yet. I did play ToS back in the GCN days though.
yah I usually go for the collectors of this series, but the one doesn't look all that great, plus the standard edition has dropped in price a couple of months after release, I remember last year 3 months later it was already half off and 10 for plus members, plus Bandai is ridiculously slow with their over priced dlc, I usually beat them way before they get around to the good dlc so waiting this time is ok, only concerned with getting the guide which I already preordered

Witch and the Hundred Knight isn't rally "like Diablo" and it's definetly not "hack and slash". It's completely turned based for starters. It's firmy in the genre of "Japanese roguelike" which also includes Mystery Dungeon games, Azure Dreams, Zettai Hero Project (which this is somewhat of a spiritual sequal to), etc etc
defiantely not worth the full price, played it, hated it, I don't mind some punishers, but that was ridiculous, you gotta like being frustrated to enjoy this one, also to who hate time and eternity, its worth it at 20 or under, not a lot of meat in the game, but was over all a 7

Witch and the Hundred Knight isn't rally "like Diablo" and it's definetly not "hack and slash". It's completely turned based for starters. It's firmy in the genre of "Japanese roguelike" which also includes Mystery Dungeon games, Azure Dreams, Zettai Hero Project (which this is somewhat of a spiritual sequal to), etc etc
Doesn't look very turned based to me, but I'll agree its more Action RPG than H-n-S.

You are thinking of the Guided Fate Paradox, not Witch and the Hundred Knight.

FYI, based from Siliconera (http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/14/etrian-odyssey-untold-ii-knight-fafnir-double-dubbing/):

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 will have double the dubbing, double the voice-acting and up to eight save slots instead of the usual one.

Sounds like they are really going for this in the future...again, if it makes it overseas.

...I also expect Untold 3 thank you very much!
winter 2014 japan means we will be LUCKY to see it before xmas 2015 here :( that is even if the 3ds is even still supported then

Its been a pretty good month. PDF 2nd gets US release date, two different sales commemorating doujin games on steam and humble, and Akiba's Trip finally came out.

Still the best news of all is that Working!! is getting a season 3

Today I noticed that Monster Monpiece has voice DLC. Does anyone know if the voices are English or Japanese, or of a resource to sample them?

I assume you mean me, but...that's Jim Caviezel from Person of Interest; I never noticed that it kind of looks like Shepard. :lol:
Caviezel/Shep fanfic confirmed for early 2015

So $40 is the correct price for the PS3 version of Natural Doctrine right? I don't want to steer someone towards getting it and then find out they raised the price when I wasn't paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back