Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few Wii games I would add to the list. Some obvious, some more obsure.

Xenoblade Chronicles

The Last Story

Pandora's Tower (not necessarily an rpg but finished the Operation Rainfall games)

Arc Rise Fantasia

Fire Emblem:Radiant Dawn

Monster Hunter Tri

Murasmasa: The Demon Blade ( more of a sidescroller action but very excellent. I hear the Vita version is the best though)

Little King's Story

Rune Factory: Frontier

If you have a gaming PC at all, that's where you'd want to play The Last Remnant, not on 360. The 360 version was very buggy and badly reviewed; the PC version fixed a ton of the bugs and changed a number of gameplay elements to make the game much better. Plus it's constantly on sale for $2.50, so it's not like there's much risk if you decide you don't like it.

I wouldn't rec that fire emblem. it sucks for multiple reasons.  It isn't hard though like everyone was saying it was but just awful for alot of aspects.  Only good thing that one brought to the table was taking the skill system from the previous title path of radiance and allowing you to unequip skills.

Forced characters who are all underleveled and have crap availability being the biggest issue it had.  macaih the crappy mc especially since she promotes twice during forced spots of the story and you have little chance to level her.

I wouldn't rec that fire emblem. it sucks for multiple reasons. It isn't hard though like everyone was saying it was but just awful for alot of aspects. Only good thing that one brought to the table was taking the skill system from the previous title path of radiance and allowing you to unequip skills.

Forced characters who are all underleveled and have crap availability being the biggest issue it had. macaih the crappy mc especially since she promotes twice during forced spots of the story and you have little chance to level her.
the only bad thing about Fire Emblem is the stories are overly long, complicated and not too great....for all that text the stories are boring

I do agree leveling characters isn't always easy but part of the hardness of FE is deciding who you are going to level and sticking with them and making sure they don't die.

don't listen to this guy the games are pretty fun although a bit challenging. not perfect games but solid enough.

The one thing I don't like about FE and games similar is the whole circle of weapons thing. I find that to be pretty annoying and a cheap mechanic for strategy.

I do agree leveling characters isn't always easy but part of the hardness of FE is deciding who you are going to level and sticking with them and making sure they don't die.
radiant dawn goes against most of these principles as I said. Even if you use a guide to plan out what units you want for end game some slots are already taken up by forced end game joins and character availability is really bad. Each of t he 3 sections have only a few over lapping characters. Characters like macaih and sothe are already bad but without the proper time to train them before promoting twice while also being forced it only makes this worse.

on the subject of exp gain it depends on the game. path of radiance, sacred stones and awakening make it easy to gain exp. radiant dawn wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for the split sections and character availability. If you wanted to level up characters that wern't with you battle exp just isn't enough on its own unless you saved up all of it and poured it into maybe 2 characters.

as for the weapon triangle thermo it can be completely ignored since it isn't a weakness system. It gives insignificant changes to how a battle will turn out at best.

Weapons that give bonus damage to certain units or high crit weapons are all that matters. Any weapon that targets an enemy type can typically one shot them and the same goes for you. So something like excalibur, rapiers, manakatti, hectors axe, ephraims lance, wing spear ect for the lord like characters are what you want to worry about.

As an example the wing spear will rip through cav units and heavy armored ones. so they get dual killing potentials with the exception of excalibur which targets pegs and wyvern units as well. While regular characters get to pick only one. either the cav killing weapons like horse slayer or the heavy knight killing ones called hammers.

after those 2 types the 3rd best type are called the brave weapons which allow up to 4 hits. but its not always that useful since damage is lowered for them comparatively to other weapons and enemies if you aren't fast enough can double you back. So generally you want it on a unit with higher attack and speed than one with high attack but low speed.

Of course weapon availability and variety can be greatly varied between each fire emblem. Sometimes they do a really bad job at balancing them where say one fire emblem gives more preferential treatment to lance users than sword or axes.

And as I said I just don't rec that particular fire emblem as it sucks. I love fire emblem but radiant dawn is easily the worst. Sealed sword and shadow dragon trail a bit behind it due to killing characters and bad stat set ups.

Got the Xillia 2 Strategy Guide today. My Best Buy had them out and the website showed a release date of the 12th. Score. And since I've rejoined Best Buy to work part time in gaming, in 30 days I'll price match it to employee price. Also, my collectors edition from Bandai has shipped, showing estimated delivery on Monday. My Best Buy order is actually moving as well....but doesn't show a delivery weight or tracking number yet. Will be interesting to see what arrives and in what condition.

Got the Xillia 2 Strategy Guide today. My Best Buy had them out and the website showed a release date of the 12th. Score. And since I've rejoined Best Buy to work part time in gaming, in 30 days I'll price match it to employee price. Also, my collectors edition from Bandai has shipped, showing estimated delivery on Monday. My Best Buy order is actually moving as well....but doesn't show a delivery weight or tracking number yet. Will be interesting to see what arrives and in what condition.
What's the DLC that was include for?

Oh, if you ordered the Dreamcast version you would've gotten in after the Kickstarter successfully finished. I recall them mentioning that they'd offer some copies there. But basically it's the same deal, you were prepaying for your goods to fund the development.

Don't worry about it. Pier Solar was developed with the same payment model before Kickstarter even existed. When Watermelon was a completely unknown group, taking preorders to develop and manufacture a game years before it'd see a release. What they're doing now is waaaaayyy less of a gamble, and they've proven themselves.

Edit: Although, looking over their sales site, they could do a way better job of explaining what new customers are actually buying into. But considering all the news the Kickstarter pushed out there, I'd assume that they thought everybody already knew.
Hmm i really gotta try to contact them and see whats up. Didn't see any email when i glanced at the page, i'll have to look it over more carefully. I have no issue with paying ahead of time, but i DO have an issue with it being over a year later and having no real update on wtf is going on. Thats BS. I wasn't even aware of the kickstarter at the time, i did it straight through their site. I just keep forgetting i gotta put a note on my monitor or somthing to email then in the next day or so to see wtf is going on

The one thing I don't like about FE and games similar is the whole circle of weapons thing. I find that to be pretty annoying and a cheap mechanic for strategy.
Wait.. what? The one thing you dont like about FE is... the entire mechanic behind its combat system? LOL how is a simple rock paper scissors mechanic cheap?

Just noticed my Xillia 2 CE is also out for delivery today. I pre-ordered through Amazon as soon as the listing was up and just recently cancelled it on Friday night to order through Namco with the 15% off coupon. Now we just need SE and Capcom to quit using Digital River ;p

Just noticed my Xillia 2 CE is also out for delivery today. I pre-ordered through Amazon as soon as the listing was up and just recently cancelled it on Friday night to order through Namco with the 15% off coupon. Now we just need SE and Capcom to quit using Digital River ;p
booo... I ordered two weeks before you and my order still hasn't been shipped.

:whistle2:(

Sorry if this has already been discussed plenty, but I noticed Tales of Hearts R for the Vita will be a Gamestop exclusive, I'm guessing this means it will never go down in price?

So will those of us who ordered it from GS, BB, ect be getting Xillia 2 tues? Im assuming the NB store shippe them early?

By the way, I was thinking of starting a dungeon crawler up on vita. Looks like the 2 major ones i have are Demon gaze and mind zero. Which of those two would be the best bet? Or anyone got any suggestions?

Sorry if this has already been discussed plenty, but I noticed Tales of Hearts R for the Vita will be a Gamestop exclusive, I'm guessing this means it will never go down in price?
I don't know of many Gamestop physical exclusives, but if Xenoblade Chronicles or One Piece: Romance Dawn are any indications, if it does go down in price, it won't be any major discount.

I don't know of many Gamestop physical exclusives, but if Xenoblade Chronicles or One Piece: Romance Dawn are any indications, if it does go down in price, it won't be any major discount.
That's what I was thinking. Guess I'll just have to pony up the dough.

So will those of us who ordered it from GS, BB, ect be getting Xillia 2 tues? Im assuming the NB store shippe them early?
I'll probably be getting my ToX2 from Best Buy a day or two after the release date because of UPS Mail Innovations, and the estimated delivery date says August 23 atm. If it weren't for the half off glitch in early May, I probably wouldn't have bothered ordering this game this soon. Though I wish Best Buy would allow store pickup for every niche game I want that I order online. The last couple I ordered only had the "shipping only" option available and those orders arrived a day or two later than release.

My Xillia 2 from Namco just arrived, both the CE and regular editions. Anyone else get theirs today?
Got mine too - was shocked, I don't think I've ever gotten a package on a Sunday before. The delivery guy never rings our doorbell, I didn't even know it was here until my wife got home from work & there was a giant box blocking the doorway. :p BTW, the CE is VERY nice - it's much more impressive in person than it seems like it would be reading the contents on paper. Mainly because they didn't cheap out on anything.

I need some help with these SMT games. Right now I'm planning on just getting Nocturne and Persona 3. I don't feel comfortable investing in Devil Summoner or Saga because I may not like/finish them and I'd end up wasting money on the sequels as a I plan to buy the set now. I watched the Giant Bomb playthrough of Persona 4 and I feel reluctant to buy it after reading about the changes made to the vita version (I might get a vita and am somewhat, irrationally, bothered that the console version will not be updated).  

Well, anyone think the Devil Summoner or Saga games are worth it?

PS2 Classics

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army - $3.99 - 60% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon - $3.99 - 60% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga - $7.99 - 20% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 - $7.99 - 20% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - $7.99 - 20% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - $4.99 - 50% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - $7.99 - 20% Off NX

from the  PSN Weekly Deals thread

Don't buy Persona 4. I've never seen any comment to indicate that P4G is not loads better than the original.

I ended up buying SMT:DS1 and 2 upon PSN release to support and encourage them to release more. The sales on those dropped so fast that I'm going to wait longer for DDS, DDS2, and Nocturne, though. I haven't played the DS games yet anyway.

For FES...be aware that they remade Persona 3 into Persona 3 Portable for PSP. P3P contains most of Persona 3 FES, but also adds the ability to play a female character and some other components. It also adds some of the new gameplay elements that were introduced in Persona 4. P3P does lack the specific FES addition, The Answer, which is kind of an epilogue. What a lot of people recommend doing is playing P3P and then just watching the half hour cinematic at the end of The Answer on Youtube.

Read about P3P and FES here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Persona_3#Persona_3_FES

Skip the section about The Answer as that spoils the plot  of that game segment. The other two parts are safe to read, though.

By the way, I was thinking of starting a dungeon crawler up on vita. Looks like the 2 major ones i have are Demon gaze and mind zero. Which of those two would be the best bet? Or anyone got any suggestions?
I really enjoyed Demon Gaze. Combat is really simple, some of the dungeons can get really large. Just started Mind Zero. Enjoying so far, but I'm only an hour or so into it.

Some people criticize the simple combat in both, but I liked 'em.

I really enjoyed Demon Gaze. Combat is really simple, some of the dungeons can get really large. Just started Mind Zero. Enjoying so far, but I'm only an hour or so into it.

Some people criticize the simple combat in both, but I liked 'em.
never could get into mind zero even upping your stats you did no more damage.

tempted on that ART game tomorrow but just not sure i want to toss 40 bucks into a game i can not sell off.

Wow, I'm actually interested in that now. :shock:

It's just too bad that two of the trophies require playing in Multiplayer which is limited to Ad-Hoc/Local play. :headache:
From what I've read, you can group with your AI characters and get the trophies, but I haven't tried that myself on the Taiwanese version.

SAO's price is just a bummer. Digital games I feel shouldn't cost exactly what a physical copy would be, mainly because SAO's price is in full Vita physical copy price. If it was $30 I would say it's a bit steep but about right for this game. I'm tempted and I may go for it, but that price is really off putting. 

I need some help with these SMT games. Right now I'm planning on just getting Nocturne and Persona 3. I don't feel comfortable investing in Devil Summoner or Saga because I may not like/finish them and I'd end up wasting money on the sequels as a I plan to buy the set now. I watched the Giant Bomb playthrough of Persona 4 and I feel reluctant to buy it after reading about the changes made to the vita version (I might get a vita and am somewhat, irrationally, bothered that the console version will not be updated).

PS2 Classics

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army - $3.99 - 60% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon - $3.99 - 60% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga - $7.99 - 20% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 - $7.99 - 20% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - $7.99 - 20% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - $4.99 - 50% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - $7.99 - 20% Off NX

from the PSN Weekly Deals thread
The saga games are great. Now based on playing 2nd Devil Summoner it's just okay. The story was good,but the game in general is half-assed and low budget. It's one of the weaker spin offs.

SAO's price is just a bummer. Digital games I feel shouldn't cost exactly what a physical copy would be, mainly because SAO's price is in full Vita physical copy price. If it was $30 I would say it's a bit steep but about right for this game. I'm tempted and I may go for it, but that price is really off putting.
It's an awesome game for sure, but I have to agree with you. I doubt it'll go anywhere anytime soon seeing as its a PSN release. So unless they plan on having a limited time on the DL for it, I say wait until it goes on sale. That is, if you have a backlog of games to tide you over.

It's an awesome game for sure, but I have to agree with you. I doubt it'll go anywhere anytime soon seeing as its a PSN release. So unless they plan on having a limited time on the DL for it, I say wait until it goes on sale. That is, if you have a backlog of games to tide you over.
On this site, who doesn't? :joystick:

In niche games alone I likely have 2 years worth of backlog haha. I have to think if I'll play it right away, if I wont I'll just wait for it to go on sale for a price i'll want it at.

For FES...be aware that they remade Persona 3 into Persona 3 Portable for PSP. P3P contains most of Persona 3 FES, but also adds the ability to play a female character and some other components. It also adds some of the new gameplay elements that were introduced in Persona 4. P3P does lack the specific FES addition, The Answer, which is kind of an epilogue. What a lot of people recommend doing is playing P3P and then just watching the half hour cinematic at the end of The Answer on Youtube.
Au contraire. People usually recommend FES over P3P for first timers since it has cutscenes and you can actually walk around the city. P3P simplifies it by giving you fast movement, direct control on party members and cutscenes are in VN form. P3P is really good for second playthrough, but if it's your first time, play FES for the full experience.

PS2 Classics

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army - $3.99 - 60% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon - $3.99 - 60% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga - $7.99 - 20% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 - $7.99 - 20% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - $7.99 - 20% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES - $4.99 - 50% Off NX
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - $7.99 - 20% Off NX

from the PSN Weekly Deals thread
if you plan on getting a vita then go ahead and skip p4 then. maybe get a vita tv that way you can play it comfortably. The biggest changes to 4 on the vita are skill select via fusion and skill cards which make customizing persona far less tedious. It removes all the hours spent in the velvet room listening to aria of the soul :wall: The other big change is expanded move lists for the party members so now yukiko and yosuke are even more awesome, chie is now viable and naoto is basically a nerfed version of the mc. jack of all trades master of none.

Au contraire. People usually recommend FES over P3P for first timers since it has cutscenes and you can actually walk around the city. P3P simplifies it by giving you fast movement, direct control on party members and cutscenes are in VN form. P3P is really good for second playthrough, but if it's your first time, play FES for the full experience.
people only rec fes because of cutscenes otherwise p3p is superior as it has skill cards and as you mentioned direct control of party members along with the better new social links on femc's side.

Don't get Persona 4 unless you want to listen to the Original Chie and Teddie. Otherwise, Golden is way better. 

Also, Persona 3 FES, includes The Answer, a sort of expansion that attempts to bring closure. Adds several hours of gameplay. If you don't care about that, then P3P is the way to go. Also, get to play as a Female Protagonist. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back