Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew one game had a larger "plus" rendition, but I forgot which at that moment. As for preferring the PS3 version, there actually is a physical release for the PS3 AND it has better graphics. So yea, there's plenty reason to prefer the PS3 version.
Do you have any screenshots with comparisons? I'm curious.

Yep, Rorona Plus is physical on PS3. I prefer to play things on my Vita, but went with PS3 this time because I wanted a physical copy.
I prefer getting my games on Vita now too, but I'd rather have all the Plus versions on a single device.

Hm. Not sure why I thought that Atelier Rorona Plus was digital-only. Ah well.

Why are you saying the PS3 version has better graphics? I can't find any videos comparing the two. The Vita version looks really good, though. 

Crunchyroll is having a sale on a mystery t shirt + Vita game for $25. Anyone have experience with the mystery pack? Is it as bad as the Gamestop one?

The list of games are:
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection PSV

Ragnarok Odyssey ACE PS Vita

Army Corps Of Hell PS Vita

Lego Batman 3 PS Vita

Arcana Heart 3: LOVE MAX!!!! PS Vita

AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead & Undressed PS Vita

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention PS Vita

Shinobido 2 Revenge Of Zen PSV

Virtua Tennis 4 World Tour PSV

Crunchyroll is having a sale on a mystery t shirt + Vita game for $25. Anyone have experience with the mystery pack? Is it as bad as the Gamestop one?

The list of games are:
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection PSV

Ragnarok Odyssey ACE PS Vita

Army Corps Of Hell PS Vita

Lego Batman 3 PS Vita

Arcana Heart 3: LOVE MAX!!!! PS Vita

AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead & Undressed PS Vita

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention PS Vita

Shinobido 2 Revenge Of Zen PSV

Virtua Tennis 4 World Tour PSV
I bought Akiba's Trip from them that had a mystery gift and it ended up being a Lollipop Chainsaw keychain.

Why are you saying the PS3 version has better graphics? I can't find any videos comparing the two. The Vita version looks really good, though.
Again, from reviews and comments I've read. I've read multiple reviews that cite different "plus" versions throughout the Atelier series as having inferior graphics/performance from the Vita to the PS3, not just Rorona.

In comparison from the Vita to the PS3:

"The graphics are generally pretty sharp and fluid on the PS Vita, but I noticed that in a few segments of the game, the framerate drops for some reason."

http://www.ps3blog.net/2014/07/11/ps3vita-double-review-atelier-rorona-plus-the-alchemist-of-arland/

Regarding Meruru Plus:

"One of the issues with the Plus version is the graphics do take a bit of a hit. While they are gorgeous on the PlayStation 3, scaled down it's easier to notice a lack of polish in certain areas. Moreover, the frame rate stutters in parts, enemies often are clipped in environments, and sometimes bosses simply disappear."

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/atelier/ameruruplus/reviews/ameruruplusstrev1.html

More on Rorona Plus & other Atelier games on Vita:

"As with the other Atelier titles on the Vita, Rorona sometimes suffers from some severe frame rate drop or excessive loading times. It is a step up from Meruru's problems but still very noticeable. It can occasionally make the game finicky about detecting Rorona's pre-combat swing animation, causing you to lose a chance at a first strike."

http://worthplaying.com/article/2014/6/24/reviews/92715/

The PS3 version of all the other Atelier games have both looked and ran better than the plus versions, so it stands to reason the same goes here. This one is also the only one that has a physical version in the US--on PS3, at least--because it is a remake; the other ones are merely Vita ports with some added content. Calling it 'plus' was their bad in the first place. I believe its title in Japan is New Atelier Rorona, which is much more fitting--as it's not really a part of the 'plus' line of Vita ports.

You're comparing 720p (ps3) to 544p (vita)... of course PS3 wins over in the graphics dept. The vita is honestly not THAT strong of a system hardware-wise either. It's at most 70% of a PS3 in terms of graphical and processing power.

Yeah the vita has higher pixel density than most monitors, but when you sit at optimal viewing ranges, that point becomes more moot.

Nope.

A big thing about Rorona Plus is that they brought in all the gameplay updates from the later games. The other (newer) games have fewer differences, but Ayesha Plus for example also adds a boss and hard mode on top of all the DLC.
Ayesha Plus also has the Japanese audio, whereas the PS3 version doesn't. I know not everyone cares about that, but NISA's dubs for the series are half-assed.

I'm going to return diddy as I don't want to start collecting these.I will keep captain falcon since I got him for $9 with Kong coupon.also drive a hour to get him.

Akibas trip on flash sale. Not a terrible price but I want physical.

Nope.

A big thing about Rorona Plus is that they brought in all the gameplay updates from the later games. The other (newer) games have fewer differences, but Ayesha Plus for example also adds a boss and hard mode on top of all the DLC.
Quite sure they were talking about Ayesha buddy.

Ayesha Plus also has the Japanese audio, whereas the PS3 version doesn't. I know not everyone cares about that, but NISA's dubs for the series are half-assed.
KT did the dusk games so you can't blame Nisa on that one. Not Nisa's fault we didn't get Japanese audio in ayesha and the terrible amount of typos in E&L. Or no LE for the first two dusk games. But yeah, I don't get why its okay for them to not voice half the lines.

You think we'll still have physical copies, though?

Finally, unable to resist the Freedom Wars and P4AU deals on Amazon, seeing as Xillia 2 jumped back up from $20 to $30.

Also, did everyone besides me know Freedom Wars is a different game and series than Advance Wars, because I had just assumed they were both North and South spinoffs but apparently Freedom Wars is not that kind of game.

I'm already sad a lot of things are digital in 2014... My 64gb memory card on my Vita only has like 5gb left ;-;
You and I, both. I'm a collector, so I try and buy a physical copy of anything I can. Much like the Taiwanese Sword Art Online, and Phantasy Star Nova when it comes out since NA/EU usually only gets the digital release. I like having the games sitting on my shelf. =)

You and I, both. I'm a collector, so I try and buy a physical copy of anything I can. Much like the Taiwanese Sword Art Online, and Phantasy Star Nova when it comes out since NA/EU usually only gets the digital release. I like having the games sitting on my shelf. =)
For most games, I like physical too. Usually buy digital when its significantly cheaper than buying physical. Mix of those games, the PS Plus free games, and the digital only games just fill up my memory card.

On a side note, my bank account will be happier once we move to an all-digital era.

(I'll probably just start collecting PS3, NES, and SNES games like they were ancient holy artifacts at that point)

For these JP localization, though, I imagine even in 2025, when PS5s are made without a disc drive, we will still get limited edition packaging and probably a download voucher.

What I am trying to say, I think, is that sometimes I worry about it but no need to worry about that alternate future when it is still pretty far ahead.

Thanks for the Atelier Ayesha link previously, I grabbed one of those at $14. Even if it doesn't have JP voice and the game sees a portal "Plus" version, I will have a hard time regretting $14 spent on any video game. Nearly any.

On a side note, my bank account will be happier once we move to an all-digital era.

(I'll probably just start collecting PS3, NES, and SNES games like they were ancient holy artifacts at that point).
Amen. If/when gaming converts to all-digital I'll pretty much stop buying new stuff altogether unless it's dirt cheap (as in $1-2) and focus solely on filling out my retro collection.

$1-2 is already my max for digital distro content, which at this point consists of a Steam library built off HumbleBundle and Steam sales and PS+ free downloads. I can't justify paying anything more than a rental price for something I have no resale ownership right over.

You do realize that digital games are more expensive? Most of the games I own physically would've cost me more if I went digital. For instance, MGS4 is 19.99, but I paid roughly 6.99 or whatever when I purchased it.

Now, explain how your bank account would enjoy paying more. Unless you're a philanthropist I can't see any connection between saving (for the consumer) & all digital. Also I'm aware that some Sony games are discounted slightly when digital only.

I do not know how people support or buy digital more than physical.. For me its if i have more than one digital game its hard for me to play them if i have more digital game purchased it feels like when i have to find a movie to play on netflix and i can't decide so it doesn't feel like i offically own it so when i buy physical its more nice to have and it feels like i actually own it and makes me end up appreciating it more and playing it more...

That being said i hope we have physical for many many more christmas >_

I really don't get the holdup some people have with digital. I go with whichever is cheapest. That can go either way depending on the game and platform. Tons of games go cheaper on PSN during sales than they ever do physically. The reverse is also true. Granted with physical you can resell the disc, but you still tend to lose out somewhat there and timing is definitely an issue for how quickly you can play and resell without taking too big a hit.

The whole "don't feel like I own it" argument against digital just seems like nonsense, honestly. You might as well rail against not really owning power unless you have a solar farm attached to your house. "Well, if the power company shuts down I won't be able to play my games, man. So it's better to have a solar farm just in case I want to play the game 15 years after the post-nuclear meltdown that didn't flatten my nuclear bomb shelter."  :bs:

I play my digital games way more than physical.  It's the convenience factor, particularly on handhelds. With the Steam-lite sells that the console makers are now having, I'm finding it easier to wait for a digital sale than to buy a disc.  Sure, GCU makes day one discs cheaper than anything, but there are fewer and fewer games that I feel I need to have day one these days.  If I was more dilligent about buying-playing-selling games, I could see the desire for physical.  But since most games I buy (physical or digital) sit around for weeks (months?) before I get to them, it's better for me to have digital clutter than physical clutter.

That being said, I'm glad that pretty much all games are going to be both for the near future.  Having more options is a great thing, even if I'm leaning more digital.

I play my digital games way more than physical.  It's the convenience factor, particularly on handhelds. With the Steam-lite sells that the console makers are now having, I'm finding it easier to wait for a digital sale than to buy a disc.  Sure, GCU makes day one discs cheaper than anything, but there are fewer and fewer games that I feel I need to have day one these days.  If I was more dilligent about buying-playing-selling games, I could see the desire for physical.  But since most games I buy (physical or digital) sit around for weeks (months?) before I get to them, it's better for me to have digital clutter than physical clutter.

That being said, I'm glad that pretty much all games are going to be both for the near future.  Having more options is a great thing, even if I'm leaning more digital.

Yeah, i guess for me its just it doesn't feel like i actually own it but yeah everyone had different opinions since im into physical game collecting i guess my mind puts it in that perspective.

I really don't get the holdup some people have with digital. I go with whichever is cheapest. That can go either way depending on the game and platform. Tons of games go cheaper on PSN during sales than they ever do physically. The reverse is also true. Granted with physical you can resell the disc, but you still tend to lose out somewhat there and timing is definitely an issue for how quickly you can play and resell without taking too big a hit.

The whole "don't feel like I own it" argument against digital just seems like nonsense, honestly. You might as well rail against not really owning power unless you have a solar farm attached to your house. "Well, if the power company shuts down I won't be able to play my games, man. So it's better to have a solar farm just in case I want to play the game 15 years after the post-nuclear meltdown that didn't flatten my nuclear bomb shelter." :bs:
Well, you just convinced me that I need to get a solar farm installed for my house.

The whole "don't feel like I own it" argument against digital just seems like nonsense, honestly. You might as well rail against not really owning power unless you have a solar farm attached to your house. "Well, if the power company shuts down I won't be able to play my games, man. So it's better to have a solar farm just in case I want to play the game 15 years after the post-nuclear meltdown that didn't flatten my nuclear bomb shelter." :bs:
I'll normally go with physical over digital, but I'll agree with the convenience factor of having the ability to download the game whenever I feel the need to play it. Plus I can redownload it later if I have to remove it for space. I just enjoy collecting the games and seeing them on my shelf. I'm the same way with CDs, Blu-Rays, and Books. I also go with whatever is cheaper. Just like the deal on this site to get Sly Cooper 1-3 for $3 You just can't pass that up.

I will admit that I dislike games being digital-only, but that's only because it provides for fewer opportunities to get the game on a good sale. Freedom Wars has hit as low as $12 new a couple of times already and it's been nowhere near that cheap on PSN. There's a number of other games with similar situations. That's not to say that physical is always better, though--if you play the Tales games, for example, Tales of Symphonia HD collection, Tales of Graces F, and Tales of Xillia were available on PSN for a total of $25 a few months back--that's 4 Tales games for less than I paid for my Tales of Graces F disc. So it goes both ways.

You do realize that digital games are more expensive? Most of the games I own physically would've cost me more if I went digital. For instance, MGS4 is 19.99, but I paid roughly 6.99 or whatever when I purchased it.

Now, explain how your bank account would enjoy paying more. Unless you're a philanthropist I can't see any connection between saving (for the consumer) & all digital. Also I'm aware that some Sony games are discounted slightly when digital only.
I think he's alluding to not even buying many games since they will be digital thus his bank account will be happier.

I will admit that I dislike games being digital-only, but that's only because it provides for fewer opportunities to get the game on a good sale. Freedom Wars has hit as low as $12 new a couple of times already and it's been nowhere near that cheap on PSN. There's a number of other games with similar situations. That's not to say that physical is always better, though--if you play the Tales games, for example, Tales of Symphonia HD collection, Tales of Graces F, and Tales of Xillia were available on PSN for a total of $25 a few months back--that's 4 Tales games for less than I paid for my Tales of Graces F disc. So it goes both ways.
psn wise tos was super cheap at 4$ (2$ with ps+) I'll give you that but tog and tox were just as cheap physically as they were digitally. tox being just dirt cheap on all fronts. and tales of graces and xillia combined were 30 dollars btw. 15$ with plus. I don't know where you're getting 25$ for the whole set unless you purchased symphonia at 10$ then had ps+ for the graces xillia dual pack. So yeah it goes both ways but digital is severely lacking in sales and quantity compared to physical. That and alot of the sales require plus to get the good deal.

As far as digital goes I'm fine with it so long as its not the only option and presents considerably lower sales than physical does. I was able to buy ff4 5 6 and 7 cheap because of digital along with the raidou kuzunoha titles from atlus and alot of other games. But alot of these titles are old and in some cases the sales were only half what a new physical copy were.

the atelier plus titles being digital only besides rorona is the reason why I'll never get them as they are horribly priced. well that and their only on the vita which I'd prefer not to have to go out and buy another memory card for/delete stuff/whatever to play them.

Sure would be nice if they did atelier plus trilogy collections at some point. hell put all 6 games together for 60$ and I'd probably bite even if it was digital.

I'm a collector, so digital isn't even an option for me. Owning and maintaining my library is an extremely important part of video games to me. I've moved to PC now for everything but exclusives, but I'm still buying PS4 versions of games to maintain my library. Even if I wasn't a collector, though, digital just isn't usually very compelling on console. They come with hard drives that are way too damn small, and this problem is much more apparent for the 8th gen consoles; the download times are atrocious--for Sony, specifically; you don't have the option to lend it out or sell it--I don't sell things, but many people would take advantage of that; and the sales are usually not very good either. It's very common for something to go on sale on PSN or XBL, and I'm able to go find a new copy for around the same price or less--let alone a used one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back