Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chrono Gear']Anything at all on Hyperdimension Neptunia? Been waiting for a good deal on it forever.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, good luck even finding the game.

[quote name='arcane93']With the kind of push it's getting, I don't think it's going to be rare at all. The bigger debate for me is that I probably won't get around to playing it right away. So on the one hand, I'd like to pick it up early on to show my support for Atlus releasing titles like it. On the other, though, I'm sure that a price drop will occur or I'll find some other opportunity for a deal on it before I ever get around to playing it, and I don't want to spend a bunch of extra money that I don't have to spend. At first, the art book and soundtrack CD were pushing me over the edge to getting it right away (I'm not really that interested in all the other stuff in the limited edition), but after seeing the book in the unboxing video, I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed by it. So I'm not sure what to do either.[/QUOTE]
Did you happen to grab one of the copies of Demon's Souls with the artbook/CD with it by any chance? If so, I can verify that the Catherine artbook feels exactly like the one from Demon's Souls.

It's not a huge artbook by any means, but it also doesn't feel like a manual masquerading as an artbook. The covers for it have at least some heft/rigidity to them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Did you happen to grab one of the copies of Demon's Souls with the artbook/CD with it by any chance? If so, I can verify that the Catherine artbook feels exactly like the one from Demon's Souls.

It's not a huge artbook by any means, but it also doesn't feel like a manual masquerading as an artbook. The covers for it have at least some heft/rigidity to them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my take on the Catherine art book... Too much text (and was it really necessary to make it dual language? you can't actually play the game in French, can you? so what good is having the printed material in French?), not enough art. I ended up getting the deluxe edition using some trade-in credit that I had saved up, and I'm kind of regretting it because none of the extra stuff was really worth it. I am enjoying the game, though, so whatever I guess.

[quote name='TheHelix']Damn...I think Wizardry (PS3) was on sale at Amazon for 7.99 last week but it's now back to 14.99.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I actually had no idea there was a Wizardry game for PS3. Shows how little attention I've been paying lately. Thanks for pointing it out, even if it's not still on sale -- hopefully it will go on sale again sometime.

[quote name='barrit']Most of these small artbooks usually don't seem worth it in the end.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really wish they'd do more like they did for Etrian Odyssey III. That was nice for a free art book.

Also, the CD with the Catherine art book was really disappointing as well. What on earth would make them think that we'd want all of those mediocre classical remixes, and not things like the opening theme? Really, I file the whole package under "what the hell were they thinking?"

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I know right? Driving me nuts.[/QUOTE]

If you can find one, I suggest you snatch it up, even at full price. A couple of months ago, I found the sole sealed copy at a Gamestop after searching 6-8 Gamestops in the surrounding area.

It comes with a really nice artbook too.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']If you can find one, I suggest you snatch it up, even at full price. A couple of months ago, I found the sole sealed copy at a Gamestop after searching 6-8 Gamestops in the surrounding area.

It comes with a really nice artbook too.[/QUOTE]

Jeez, is it really that rare? A couple Gamestops in my area have the special edition in stock.

(I know for sure one does, because they pulled it out last month when I went to get Atelier Rorona CE.)

[quote name='takotchi']Jeez, is it really that rare? A couple Gamestops in my area have the special edition in stock.

(I know for sure one does, because they pulled it out last month when I went to get Atelier Rorona CE.)[/QUOTE]

Well, some had gutted copies and I don't know if they came with the artbook or box or anything. I have a thing about gutted copies so I was only going to buy it if it was sealed.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Well, some had gutted copies and I don't know if they came with the artbook or box or anything. I have a thing about gutted copies so I was only going to buy it if it was sealed.[/QUOTE]

Well, I understand that. I don't buy them either. As far as I know, they don't do that to special editions, etc. though. (Thank god.)

I love most of the games NISA releases. Their CEs really are limited and usually start to rise in price very soon after the official release date.

I pretty much always buy their CEs Day 1. First of all, their special editions are usually around the same price as a normal full game ($59.99). When you order from their NISA store, you also get an exclusive pre-order bonus included along with the other bonuses that come with the CE. For Neptunia, it was a deck of cards that were limited to 1000 decks made. Plus they offer free basic shipping, it's slow, but hey it's free, and tax free. (unless you live in CA)

Granted, I live in a big city with a lot of Gamestops, but I did a search for Neptunia last week and found a TON of used copies plus a few new ones.

Is Hyperdimension Neptunia any good as a game, though? The reviews that I've read haven't seemed very positive. Much as I like a good CE, I'm not going to throw money away buying one for a game that sucks. That's why I was hoping we'd get a cheaper game-only release at some point here, so it wouldn't be so much of an investment, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

If you like anime, rpgs, and an old school sega fan, Hyperdimension Neptunia was made just to be played by you. It's only an average game if you can't appreciate the material.

Ok, well, here's a question for those who've played both... Given a choice, which would you pick up, Hyperdimension Neptunia or Ar Tonelico Qoga? I've been thinking of grabbing one or the other (there are still several GS stores around here that have them in stock), but couldn't really justify spending the money for both right now.

[quote name='arcane93']Ok, well, here's a question for those who've played both... Given a choice, which would you pick up, Hyperdimension Neptunia or Ar Tonelico Qoga? I've been thinking of grabbing one or the other (there are still several GS stores around here that have them in stock), but couldn't really justify spending the money for both right now.[/QUOTE]

Ar Tonelico Qoga mo question.

Well there's going to be a Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk. 2. You can view a lot of articles, videos, pics on it here: http://www.siliconera.com/?s=hyperdimension It looks like it's going to be leaps beyond part 1 (Appears to have 3D cutscenes, better battle system, etc.). I'm not sure how much the first part will tie into part 2, so that's one thing to consider. It hasn't been officially announced for the US, but I think it was NISA's president who replied with "No problem" when asked if they would localize it if fans requested it.. or something along those lines.

Ar tonelico is a better game. You also have to consider it is the 3rd entry in the series. Qoga has a big encyclopedia to get you caught up on the past events if you haven't played the first 2 though.

Qoga is a better game, but Neptunia has better nostalgia factor. But really, for the price of Qoga, you could probably buy a used xbox 360 AND tales of vesperia which would be time better spent.

[quote name='lutz']Qoga is a better game, but Neptunia has better nostalgia factor. But really, for the price of Qoga, you could probably buy a used xbox 360 AND tales of vesperia which would be time better spent.[/QUOTE]
Is Qoga that rare now? Damn...

Premium box runs about a hundred bucks last I checked. I'm sure you could find just the game used somewhere for sane amounts. The main point was, Tales of Vesperia is a much better game and is the same genre minus the nude girls.

[quote name='lutz']Premium box runs about a hundred bucks last I checked. I'm sure you could find just the game used somewhere for sane amounts. The main point was, Tales of Vesperia is a much better game and is the same genre minus the nude girls.[/QUOTE]

Really? Damn, maybe I should go look at some other stores then.

I guess I'll look into getting Ar Tonelico Qoga from one of the gamestops around that still appear to have it. Neptunia seems interesting, but the reviews didn't seem very good.

Nice Sig xtole was about to rewatch Gurren Langan right now^^

How is Love Plus? I've been intersted in these kind of games for awhile...but do not wanna pay 24 bucks for a game I'll "beat" in a sitting...plus we don't have any cool print out stations like in Japan here in the US T_T

[quote name='bruceg']A lot of my gamestops still have Qoga as well, but I'm guessing they're all gutted copies.[/QUOTE]

That depends on the store. The stores where I live don't gut the premium boxes, they just keep them all behind the counter. All three Gamestops here still have Qoga, I was honestly waiting to see if there would be a price drop, but if the game is really getting that hard to find I'll happily pay the $60 to have it in my collection.

Hmm, there are a few hyperdimension neptunias still available near me, maybe i should pick them up and keep them as collectors items!!

I lucked out that one of my Gamestops had a sealed copy of Qoga. I don't like paying that much, but I've been kicking myself for not picking up the first Ar Tonelico LE.

Shameless bump?

Anyone have experience with Love Plus? Seems interesting but I'd like to know how long the game is

Shameless bump?

Anyone have experience with Love Plus? Seems interesting but I'd like to know how long the game is

[quote name='SuxoR']Nice Sig xtole was about to rewatch Gurren Langan right now^^

How is Love Plus? I've been intersted in these kind of games for awhile...but do not wanna pay 24 bucks for a game I'll "beat" in a sitting...plus we don't have any cool print out stations like in Japan here in the US T_T[/QUOTE]

Great game! Especially how the three girls are so different (note: You have a choice of which girl you are going to go for). But definitely use the guide's online.

This is not a game you'll beat in a sitting. You may beat the part where you get her to agree to be your girlfriend but maintaining that relationship and trying to win the affections from your girl (in public) you are going after takes some time. It's a fun game and I don't regret purchasing it. Especially since there are three girls to extend gameplay.

[quote name='arcane93']Is Hyperdimension Neptunia any good as a game, though? The reviews that I've read haven't seemed very positive. Much as I like a good CE, I'm not going to throw money away buying one for a game that sucks. That's why I was hoping we'd get a cheaper game-only release at some point here, so it wouldn't be so much of an investment, but it doesn't seem to be happening.[/QUOTE]

It's a fun game but not a great game or very good game (it's very subjective as I know some people are diehard fans of the game and love the characters). I admit that I still have to play the game much longer than I have done so far (I'm totally into Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 on the PSP right now).

According to an email from NIS America, they will be having a sale on Disgaea 3 DLC on PSN starting August 16. They will also be selling Disgaea 3 at their online store for $19.99.

[quote name='Zbornak']According to an email from NIS America, they will be having a sale on Disgaea 3 DLC on PSN starting August 16. They will also be selling Disgaea 3 at their online store for $19.99.[/QUOTE]

Probably because they're releasing it for the Vita?

[quote name='Zbornak']According to an email from NIS America, they will be having a sale on Disgaea 3 DLC on PSN starting August 16. They will also be selling Disgaea 3 at their online store for $19.99.[/QUOTE]

Anyone have any suggestions on essential DLC for Disgaea 3? From what I know, it's all extra stuff like additional characters and items right?

[quote name='jling84']Anyone have any suggestions on essential DLC for Disgaea 3? From what I know, it's all extra stuff like additional characters and items right?[/QUOTE]

None of it is too necessary. Depending on what the price is, just consider the bundle. Especially if you can gameshare it.

im down for gamesharing the bundle. most of the content is postgame tho.

Hero Prinny helps you get billion damage man, and revya/zetta help with 10 counters.
thats just trophy help tho
i think most of it is just fun stuff, none really necessary. i think it's a few dollars for characters, so im down for just hero prinny and gig/zetta/revya maybe dragons.
peace

[quote name='elessar123']Probably because they're releasing it for the Vita?[/QUOTE]

yeah vita will have all the dlc and 2 new characters... i have the ps3 version of the game but refuse to buy dlc for $50? or so... at the current price for the game the DLC costs more than the game itself.

[quote name='BettiePage']i have the ps3 version of the game but refuse to buy dlc for $50? or so... at the current price for the game the DLC costs more than the game itself.[/QUOTE]

Seriously... I paid $20 for the game itself, I'm not paying more than $10 for DLC.

Not sure if this has been posted, but Gamefly has the "bigger box" versions of the NIS titles, like Hyperdimension Neptunia and Ar tonelico, if you do "keep it."

It was $45 each with the 10% off.

[quote name='Aliens']Not sure if this has been posted, but Gamefly has the "bigger box" versions of the NIS titles, like Hyperdimension Neptunia and Ar tonelico, if you do "keep it."

It was $45 each with the 10% off.[/QUOTE]
Really? I kept atelier rorona a month ago (which came in a "big box") and only got the case/manual.

I had to track down some JRPGs for a friend overseas, and Rorona did come in the standard case/manual. Not sure what differed for Neptunia or Ar tonelico... YMMV, I guess!

[quote name='Aliens']I had to track down some JRPGs for a friend overseas, and Rorona did come in the standard case/manual. Not sure what differed for Neptunia or Ar tonelico... YMMV, I guess![/QUOTE]

5486014627_218ba4abb9_z.jpg

5582005357_8d36bd2fc4_z.jpg

5486613446_f89d55bae4_z.jpg

is there a reason Hyperdimension is so expensive? i got my copy used (complete) from a gamestop b2g1, but if it's already gone rare i might consider trading it in towards the price of a new copy so i can have the art book too. how is the art book btw? is it worth getting regardless of rarity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back