Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting kind of worried about Persona 2 now. Do you think amazon is actually out of stock, or is it probably just the under review thing still?

[quote name='Zaku77']I'm getting kind of worried about Persona 2 now. Do you think amazon is actually out of stock, or is it probably just the under review thing still?[/QUOTE]

It's showing up under Amazon Warehouse for $30.99 under "good" condition now.

I might just have to bite the bullet and go buy one then. Dammit, It goes off amazon literally the day I get the promo credit to get it cheap :/

Persona 2 is not showing up as being sold by amazon now. Did they really sell out or just quit selling it because of all these replacments that ended up costing them more money?

[quote name='Optical']How long has Gamestop shipped games to you or other stores. They used to do it in the PS1 days, but then stopped.[/QUOTE]

It's optional I guess. However one store offered to do it, so I asked a closer one and he agreed to do it because I am decent, regular customer. His only request was to fill out the survey thing when I picked up Neptunia. Best way to get something like that is to call stores that would be in your district. Store managers (including assistants) are going to know each other so if you get in touch with one at a store that has a game you want, you can usually use that to help you get them to do it.

i hear it's incredibly easy, and offers no real challenge. Some say it's not worth the full price tag because of it, but I'll get it no matter.

It's back on amazon now! That means that I can return my gamestop copy woohoo! It also means that if my amazon one is beat up, I already have a non beat up one. That actually worked out quite well.

[quote name='Zaku77']It's back on amazon now! That means that I can return my gamestop copy woohoo! It also means that if my amazon one is beat up, I already have a non beat up one. That actually worked out quite well.[/QUOTE]

If you've already got a non-beat up one from Gamestop, why would you even bother to order from Amazon and risk it?

Because I spent $10 for the one from amazon, and I spent $40 for the one from gamestop. I can also easily return the beat up one to gamestop, as the other 3 copies they had when I got mine were all trashed. It's not like one more would really hurt anything. haha

[quote name='Zaku77']Because I spent $10 for the one from amazon, and I spent $40 for the one from gamestop. I can also easily return the beat up one to gamestop, as the other 3 copies they had when I got mine were all trashed. It's not like one more would really hurt anything. haha[/QUOTE]

P2:IS for $10 from amazon? how did you do that? used copy from amazon warehouse deals? was the only defect a (potentially) squashed outer box, but everything else OK/complete; ie: shrink-wrapped CD & game in case w/manual, cover art, non-scratched UMD? TIA.

nothing shows up in AWD:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&field-keywords=persona+2&x=0&y=0

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xtole13']Has anyone had experience with Solatorobo yet? Definitely interested in the game but still not sure on the purchase.[/QUOTE]

I havent seen my Amazon copy yet, but i went to a couple gamestops and picked up 2 sealed copies from them just in case it comes in damaged from Amazon. The packaging looks pretty neat, im not sure what it comes with, or why its so large. Anyone know whats actually in it? Im not opening mine up yet. I do think 35 bucks is kinda ridiculous for a DS game in this day and age though. These things should be 20 bucks tops unless theyre collectors editions

by the way i also got 2 sealed mint copies of Persona 2 from gamestops as well just in case. I dont think my amazon orders here yet. Im wondering if i should keep at least one extra for now since theyre really mint. Not sure if this game will drop in price or rise later on.

I did find this article which sucks:
http://www.destructoid.com/persona-2-psp-missing-some-content-apparently-212569.phtml

im getting tired of US releases getting edited. What the hell? Disgaea 4 kinda pissed me off, now this? Why the hell do they keep doing this crap? They dont even give a real reason

[quote name='ivana89']P2:IS for $10 from amazon? how did you do that? used copy from amazon warehouse deals? was the only defect a (potentially) squashed outer box, but everything else OK/complete; ie: shrink-wrapped CD & game in case w/manual, cover art, non-scratched UMD? TIA.

nothing shows up in AWD:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DA2L77EE7U53NWQ&field-keywords=persona+2&x=0&y=0[/QUOTE]

He probably had some credit is my guess.

[quote name='xtole13']Has anyone had experience with Solatorobo yet? Definitely interested in the game but still not sure on the purchase.[/QUOTE]

It depends on what you're looking for in a game. If you don't mind a game that's easy and simple in gameplay and structure, Solatorobo is very charming and quirky. It's a mission-based action-RPG with a unique battle system based around picking up your foes and slamming them into each other or the ground. It's about as deep as a puddle, but it's unique and fun to play.

[quote name='Kenshindono']

I did find this article which sucks:
http://www.destructoid.com/persona-2-psp-missing-some-content-apparently-212569.phtml

im getting tired of US releases getting edited. What the hell? Disgaea 4 kinda pissed me off, now this? Why the hell do they keep doing this crap? They dont even give a real reason

[/QUOTE]

One one cared when Atlus cut the mahjong mini game from Devil Summoner. People just gave Atlus a free pass

[quote name='Masterkyo']No one here wanna pay full MSRP and Shipping cost![/QUOTE]
Shipping seems to be free but order minimum is $20. No tax neither except for CA residents.

Not a bad option if you want your products without damage (especially those premium box package) since you're buying from Xseed directly and you can work with the people there via support. They are a low volume manufacturer store so hopefully they can work with you on this.

[quote name='Masterkyo']No one here wanna pay full MSRP and Shipping cost![/QUOTE]

We will if they throw in some limited bonus like NIS

[quote name='Kotomine']For anyone who might be interested, XSEED Games now has an online store.[/QUOTE]
Hey, they're selling Rune Factory: Frontier for $25. It's impossible to find new anywhere else for less than $50. Been wanting that one for a while, so I jumped on it. Thanks, Kotomine :)

[quote name='mxpowar']Too bad Xseed doesn't have the Valhalla Knights games for PSP on their site...[/QUOTE]

If you can find them used at Gamestop they are both under $10, one might be $5.

[quote name='Optical']If you can find them used at Gamestop they are both under $10, one might be $5.[/QUOTE]
I prefer my games new and sealed, which is a rare thing to find at Gamestop....

[quote name='mxpowar']I prefer my games new and sealed, which is a rare thing to find at Gamestop....[/QUOTE]

the first one is like $15 new at amazon.

I've been thinking of getting Persona 3 portable. Amazon seeks to have it for 24.99. Is that a good price? Also is that a good entry for a first time Persona player?

It's a good entry, probably the best entry as persona 1/2 are enjoyable, but also games from a different era.
Tt's a decent price for the game, the digital download was onsale for $20 at one point, but the physical edition most likely will eventually be sold out and the price will shoot back up.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']I've been thinking of getting Persona 3 portable. Amazon seeks to have it for 24.99. Is that a good price? Also is that a good entry for a first time Persona player?[/QUOTE]

Persona 3 is probably my favorite of the Persona games (actually, probably of the SMT games as a whole), so I'd say it's a good entry point. I played through it on the PS2, and grabbed the PSP version right when it came out. Just be prepared for a commitment -- my PS2 playthrough clocked in at over 100 hours (and I only played the main game, haven't gotten to the FES expansion yet -- I needed a break! :lol:).

As far as the price goes, I've seen it a bit cheaper, but it's not bad. I'm not sure how hard to find it's getting to be at this point (haven't really been following it since I got it at release), but it might not be a bad idea to grab it while you can.

[quote name='Kenshindono']and i got the 2nd one from this ebay seller and it was legit and factory sealed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220841265953?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

i was a bit concerned because it comes from hong kong but it doesn't appear to be a fake. y folds and everything. BTW valhalla knights is about 18 bucks on amazon for the fist one[/QUOTE]

I've seen lots of very good PSP bootlegs from Hong Kong with Y Folds and full cover inserts and instructions. The only way to really tell is to open it and look at the disc itself sometimes.

[quote name='arcane93']Persona 3 is probably my favorite of the Persona games (actually, probably of the SMT games as a whole), so I'd say it's a good entry point. I played through it on the PS2, and grabbed the PSP version right when it came out. Just be prepared for a commitment -- my PS2 playthrough clocked in at over 100 hours (and I only played the main game, haven't gotten to the FES expansion yet -- I needed a break! :lol:).

As far as the price goes, I've seen it a bit cheaper, but it's not bad. I'm not sure how hard to find it's getting to be at this point (haven't really been following it since I got it at release), but it might not be a bad idea to grab it while you can.[/QUOTE]

Dang, I'm not sure if I have the time to drop into a game that long. I was wondering if this would be likely to go on sale during Black Friday or not but it it's getting hard to find maybe I should jump on it.

I'm hoping to get that Persona 4 remake for PS Vita. When is the fighting game supposed to see home release?

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Dang, I'm not sure if I have the time to drop into a game that long. I was wondering if this would be likely to go on sale during Black Friday or not but it it's getting hard to find maybe I should jump on it.[/QUOTE]

One good thing about it is that you can pick it up and play it in reasonably short bursts. So I clocked over 100 hours, but it was over the course of something like 8 months. There's enough of a storyline to keep it interesting, but it's not so deep that you'll forget what's going on if you don't play it every day.

I wouldn't count on a Black Friday deal simply because even though it's not rare yet, it's not all that common at this point either. If we see a BF deal on a Persona title, I'd expect it to be on Persona 2.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']When is the fighting game supposed to see home release?[/QUOTE]

Last I heard was next summer for Japan, which would mean probably fall (or possibly spring 2013) here?

[quote name='arcane93']One good thing about it is that you can pick it up and play it in reasonably short bursts. So I clocked over 100 hours, but it was over the course of something like 8 months. There's enough of a storyline to keep it interesting, but it's not so deep that you'll forget what's going on if you don't play it every day.

I wouldn't count on a Black Friday deal simply because even though it's not rare yet, it's not all that common at this point either. If we see a BF deal on a Persona title, I'd expect it to be on Persona 2.[/QUOTE]

I picked up Persona 3 FES on Amazon's Black Friday sale for $16 in 2008, back when they were trying to make way for the PS3. It really is an awesome game. I let my girlfriend's teenage brothers borrow it, and they've managed to play it around 180 hours without getting to the FES part. Ragnorok64, I guess you have two high recommendations for it now. ;)

[quote name='Blade']I picked up Persona 3 FES on Amazon's Black Friday sale for $16 in 2008, back when they were trying to make way for the PS3. It really is an awesome game. I let my girlfriend's teenage brothers borrow it, and they've managed to play it around 180 hours without getting to the FES part. Ragnorok64, I guess you have two high recommendations for it now. ;)[/QUOTE]
I was doing a search on Persona 3 and saw this. What a F* hoarder!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Limited-Edition-Shin-Megami-Persona-3-FES-RARE-ARTBOOK-/120784759656

[quote name='salty tbone']A hoarder who doesn't even know what he's selling since the pic/description don't match.[/QUOTE]

No that version has the slip cover of regular Persona 3

I believe Amazon did sell a special bundle of the P3 FES game in the older P3 package with artbook and soundtrack CD. It was during the holiday season a few years ago.

[quote name='eau']I believe Amazon did sell a special bundle of the P3 FES game in the older P3 package with artbook and soundtrack CD. It was during the holiday season a few years ago.[/QUOTE]

This is correct.

[quote name='62t']No that version has the slip cover of regular Persona 3[/QUOTE]

Oops. Turns out it's me who doesn't know what I'm talking about. :dunce:
Is the only way you can tell the two versions apart by checking the spine where the game is? Is the FES artbook and soundtrack different from the original?

AFAIK there is no artbook and soundtrack for FES (in North America). They basically took everthing from the original and replaced the game with the FES version.

[quote name='salty tbone']Oops. Turns out it's me who doesn't know what I'm talking about. :dunce:
Is the only way you can tell the two versions apart by checking the spine where the game is? Is the FES artbook and soundtrack different from the original?[/QUOTE]

Not sure if they're all like this but the outer box on my original has details about the game/contents on the back and the FES version has an ad for Persona 4/Atlus insider.

Fyi, that same game is considered a clearance item at Sears right now. It's unlikely that your local series has it, but you can purchase it for 19.97 if you happen to find one there.

[quote name='eau']I believe Amazon did sell a special bundle of the P3 FES game in the older P3 package with artbook and soundtrack CD. It was during the holiday season a few years ago.[/QUOTE]

Yup it was 19.95 and came with the artbook/cd/slipcase. 12-1-08 I bought one.

Really? I thought it came out at $29.99. Anyways, I saw the same bundle at kmart, which was odd, though their price was $49.99 a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back