Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually pre-orders selling out is a good indication of future rarity. Nothing is for certain, though, and they may, indeed, make more of these past the initial run.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Xbox:
Agarest 1 - Physical Disc/Limited Edition
Agarest 0 - Physical Disc/Limited Edition
Agarest 2 - Not Available

PS3:
Agarest 1 - Digital Only/Missing Some Content
Agarest 0 - Physical Disc/Limited Edition
Agarest 2 - Physical Disc/Limited Edition

Depends if you wanna play on Xbox for achievements and/or party chat, want physical copies or whatever...[/QUOTE]
I'm so pissed it went this way; I banked on Agarest on the 360 and now it turns out the 2/3 is PS3 exclusive! So lame...

Just a heads up if you pre-ordered the new Growlanser from Newegg. They just sent me an "out of stock" email. Kinda ridiculous, considering I pre-ordered this months in advance.

I was going to pick Growlanser up on release, but after seeing Gungnir drop to $20 so soon after release, I think it would behoove me to wait a little while. I still need to play Growlanser 3 before I fire it up anyway, so no rush.

[quote name='Zaku77']I was going to pick Growlanser up on release, but after seeing Gungnir drop to $20 so soon after release, i think it would behoove me to wait a little while. I still need to play Growlanser 3 before I fire it up anyway, so no rush.[/QUOTE]

I was going to wait too but since I never bought any of the Growlanser games at release I figured I would buy this to support the series. I really liked Growlanser 2 and I hope the first one is localized.

[quote name='Zaku77']I was going to pick Growlanser up on release, but after seeing Gungnir drop to $20 so soon after release, i think it would behoove me to wait a little while. I still need to play Growlanser 3 before I fire it up anyway, so no rush.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have a feeling it'll drop fast and move out of stores quickly, then will go up in value. Kind of like Tactics Ogre. That was only $10 new for awhile at Gamestop, not I've noticed it starting to go back to $20-$25 on ebay USD with sealed copies going for even more. No one in the US seems to value anything on the PSP until after its long gone from retail shelves though.

All I got was a generic response. Blech.

I guess I'll just order it elsewhere. I really wanted to order through Newegg as their free shipping is relatively fast and they don't charge me tax. :(

I actually found Growlanser 2 to be pretty sub-par, but with enough good ideas to make me want to continue on in the series. The AI for movement was atrocious, and I would frequently have big issues with my idiot people just getting stuck on each other. The localization was also laughably bad, but that was more a product of its time. It's still a cool series, though, and the later entries look to be quite good.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']I'm so pissed it went this way; I banked on Agarest on the 360 and now it turns out the 2/3 is PS3 exclusive! So lame...[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Ended up selling the 2 copies i had on 360 and just buying 2 and Zero for PS3 (Since i already have 1).

Still seemed like a dumb way to handle the series, especially since there was no prior announcement of how it was going to go down.

[quote name='Gosha']Yeah I have a feeling it'll drop fast and move out of stores quickly, then will go up in value. Kind of like Tactics Ogre. That was only $10 new for awhile at Gamestop, not I've noticed it starting to go back to $20-$25 on ebay USD with sealed copies going for even more. No one in the US seems to value anything on the PSP until after its long gone from retail shelves though.[/QUOTE]

Sad thing is you're 100% right, which also makes no damn sense, most of these titles only drop $10-15 at most then spike up to retail and higher after awhile. I have no problem grabbing new release PSP titles for full price, they aren't that expensive and I NEED to support the devs / publishers on this (mostly XSeed and Atlus) since they are the main ones still putting out anything worthwhile for the platform and there are still a few games I'd like to play on the system that haven't been localized yet.

Even though I can play P2:EP right now on PS1, I'd love to get my hands on the EP PSP remake, so I hope that the support I did give Atlus for their last 3 releases pays off and I get to play that title as well.

Edit: Speaking of which anyone heard anything on the localized version of Black Rock Shooter? It is still coming of is is DOA? I've not heard anything other than TBA.

[quote name='uncle5555']

Edit: Speaking of which anyone heard anything on the localized version of Black Rock Shooter? It is still coming of is is DOA? I've not heard anything other than TBA.[/QUOTE]

Still coming, but probably digital download

[quote name='storino03']My newest pickups:

[/QUOTE]

woah-ho-ho! You got an original Xenogears soundtrack CD? Awesome.

Just to let everyone know, I got an email today that the Mugen Souls limited edition set with figure and the other limited edition set is at yellow which means less than %50 stock. I also confirmed this on their site. Since NISAmerica has been making some actual limited editions, maybe be a good time to preorder.

Anyone having trouble with NISA's online store? Clicking 'proceed to checkout' or the paypal button just takes me right back to the cart :(

[quote name='keine']woah-ho-ho! You got an original Xenogears soundtrack CD? Awesome.[/QUOTE]
It looks like he did get an original. I checked mine and it's a reprint.

Xenogears is one of my favorites as well. I managed to get an original Valkyrie profile soundtrack a couple years ago. That and xenogears are two particular favorites of mine.

I like picking up soundtracks when I can, but you have to be careful about bootlegs. My first game soundtrack was FFX off of ebay, which turned out to be a bootleg.

Akai Katana is a steal at $20.00, replay is endless in that game. As an added bonus you get to support Cave and hopefully get some more shmups localized.

[quote name='storino03']Tactics Ogre on PSP is $17-ish free shipping, brand new. I don't see this going up if at all:

http://www.amazon.com/Tactics-Ogre-...d=1344478769&sr=8-1&keywords=tactics+ogre+psp[/QUOTE]

A word of caution to those who order this from Amazon. The seller, GeeksWholesaler, is selling the UK PSP Essentials version. It's only mentioned after clicking the "Buy New" link. Sold through Amazon. So unless you want the ugly orange and dotted cover, I suggest paying the ~40 cents extra to purchase directly from Amazon (my Amazon LLC copy was the original US cover).

Is Akai Katana worth it for people who are only slightly interested in bullet hell games? Does it actually have a story or anything?

By the way finally got a LE copy of Agarest war zero for the PS3 new and sealed from gamestop. They were clearancing them out. Also had Newegg PM the standard edition to $20 so i can open and play that if i want and keep the LE sealed. Woot.

Im also super stoked because i finally got ahold of the Xenoblade chronicles artbook! I got screwed when i pre ordered from GS and didn't get one. I mentioned it to the crew at my local one who i have become friendly with and he reached under the counter and handed me one o_O Totally made my day, no idea how long it was there but it was in mint condition. Gamestop as a company sucks ass, but if you can find one with decent employees its not too terrible.

^_^x KD

Out of nowhere, Cladun x2 has appeared on Steam, discounted 20% to $15.99 until August 21. I hadn't even heard anything about NISA putting their games on Steam.

[quote name='Kenshindono']Is Akai Katana worth it for people who are only slightly interested in bullet hell games? Does it actually have a story or anything?

By the way finally got a LE copy of Agarest war zero for the PS3 new and sealed from gamestop. They were clearancing them out. Also had Newegg PM the standard edition to $20 so i can open and play that if i want and keep the LE sealed. Woot.

Im also super stoked because i finally got ahold of the Xenoblade chronicles artbook! I got screwed when i pre ordered from GS and didn't get one. I mentioned it to the crew at my local one who i have become friendly with and he reached under the counter and handed me one o_O Totally made my day, no idea how long it was there but it was in mint condition. Gamestop as a company sucks ass, but if you can find one with decent employees its not too terrible.

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

Never, ever, EVER play a shmup for the damn story. They can be amusing for their sheer over blown ridiculousness, but they are never anything more than an amusing distraction. Cave games brought me from someone that didn't care about bullet hell games AT ALL to a rabid Cave fan, and really just shmups in general. I would definitely say grab Akai Katana or Death Smiles. I personally like Deathsmiles (either 1 or 2) better than Akai Katana, but both are great and that is highly subjective.

[quote name='Zbornak']Out of nowhere, Cladun x2 has appeared on Steam, discounted 20% to $15.99 until August 21. I hadn't even heard anything about NISA putting their games on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did a double take when I refreshed Steam this morning. :lol:

Preorder bonuses announced for P4Golden. Hopefully Newegg gets these too since I have it preordered there for $29.99.

p4g_dezaskin_faithful_2.jpg
p4g_dezaskin_faithful_3.jpg

[quote name='barrit']Preorder bonuses announced for P4Golden. Hopefully Newegg gets these too since I have it preordered there for $29.99.

p4g_dezaskin_faithful_2.jpg
p4g_dezaskin_faithful_3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

+1, but I wouldn't hold my breath that we get this from Newegg.

[quote name='Bumslie']+1, but I wouldn't hold my breath that we get this from Newegg.[/QUOTE]

Why not? Newegg usually gets the pre-order bonuses for Atlus games. In fact, just take a look at last weeks Person 4: Arena release which shipped with the soundtrack.

[quote name='therealdeal19']Why not? Newegg usually gets the pre-order bonuses for Atlus games. In fact, just take a look at last weeks Person 4: Arena release which shipped with the soundtrack.[/QUOTE]

Yea I'm being hopeful.. but the difference with bonuses for Persona 4: Arena, and The Last Story (which they also got), is that weren't those really first-run bonuses? I know it was for Last Story, but I'm not 100% sure on the CD for P4: Arena. If so, then that could be the difference that sets them apart from being actual pre-order bonuses, instead of just first-run bonuses.

[quote name='therealdeal19']I think our chances will be good. Newegg rocks the house. :)[/QUOTE]

Just checked the email from Atlus about the pre-order bonus and Newegg is listed on there. Didn't doubt you "therealdeal19" just usually I don't see many pre-order bonuses @ Newegg.
You were correct on the ones you listed. Good looking out!

Here are the stores that will get the pre-order according to Atlus:

Amazon.com
Amazon.ca
Frys Electronics
Newegg
Buy.com
Future Shop
VGP
Best Buy (Canada)
GameStop (U.S.)
EB Games (Canada)

Yikes. I love Cladun but I cannot justify paying 30 dollars for a console DD game. If it was Steam, I'd probably crack, but with all of the assumptions that PS4 won't be able to produce backwards compatibility due to fierce hardware configuration changes, I've been avoiding PSN.

P4 showed up in my Gold Box today, so I pre-ordered it too. That skin looks nice, and it's one of the games I bought a Vita to play.

[quote name='uncle5555']Edit: Speaking of which anyone heard anything on the localized version of Black Rock Shooter? It is still coming of is is DOA? I've not heard anything other than TBA.[/QUOTE]

NIS America just stated that it's still on track for a western release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back