Jeeps?

UnderwaterMadman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I am looking into buying a jeep. Probably going to get a CJ/YJ/TJ. I am not really picky but was just looking for some advice by experienced jeepers on what to look for.

You rang?

Can you give a little more info on why you want one and how you're going to be using it, etc? That can help myself and the other Jeepers here on figuring out what's the best solution for you.

I will not be using it as a daily driver. I am looking at mostly just weekend cruising around town with the top down and some trails with light mud/medium mud.

Not really on a budget per se, but since this is not going to be my main vehicle I would like to keep it around $8k at the max including any lift/tires I will need, but can wait and exceed the budget if necessary?

Do I need lockers? Front and rear, or will just rear do?

I am in NY and we salt the roads like crazy, how much rust on the under body is to much?

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']I will not be using it as a daily driver. I am looking at mostly just weekend cruising around town with the top down and some trails with light mud/medium mud.

Not really on a budget per se, but since this is not going to be my main vehicle I would like to keep it around $8k at the max including any lift/tires I will need, but can wait and exceed the budget if necessary?

Do I need lockers? Front and rear, or will just rear do?

I am in NY and we salt the roads like crazy, how much rust on the under body is to much?[/QUOTE]

Alrighty, sorry for the delay.

Out of the choices of CJ, YJ, and TJ, in my opinion your best bet will be a TJ. 98-00 TJs can be had pretty cheap (well under $10k) and for the most part, the TJ fixed everything that was wrong in the YJ which fixed everything that was wrong in the CJ, etc.

A couple of things you should look for when getting your TJ include making sure it has the 4.0 I6 engine. The little 4 cylinder is just not worth it. Also try and make sure that the Wrangler you are getting has a rear Dana 44 axle (this should be standard on Sahara editions and those with the 30 inch tire and wheel group, but double check to be sure). The Dana 44 should provide you with fewer headaches than a Dana 35 (the other standard axle), and trust me on this, I know from experience. Also be sure to have a mechanic check out the axles and the transfer case.

As far as rust, I live in IL and we salt the roads quite a bit as well. If the rust on the underside is all surface rust, it should be fine and if you're adventurous you can spend a couple days on the underside sanding and repainting if you really feel like it. If the rust is so bad that the metal is actually starting to flex and tear, skip it.

I never wheeled with lockers and I went through some pretty interesting situations. I don't believe they are essential from the start, so I'd wait on them before you decide to put more money in.

For lift and tires, if you want it on the cheaper side, you can get a real basic coil spring lift and 31 inch tires and be pretty good to go for under $500. If you're looking for something more like fitting 33 inch tires, check out the Rubicon Express 3.5 Super Flex kit. It's about a grand, but Rubicon Express makes the top of the line lifts.

Play around with options on RedRock4x4.com. They're a really reliable site and have top notch customer service.

Hope this helps you!

All good suggestions.

You can fit 33" tires on a TJ with a 2" body lift and not have too many problems. You may need to adjust your bumpstops, though.

You may or may not get differing opinions, but I found that ProComp makes a pretty decent mud tire. Usually you can find B3G1F deals on those, depending on the shop.

My advice would be to NOT buy anything that is already lifted or modded. Not only will you run the risk of fixing someone else's problem, but you'll also miss out on the joys of your first mods/lift.

Buy a stock Jeep, and take it out on a novice trail. The most important thing you can do is learn to drive it when you don't necessarily have the equipment to do it easily. Pick your lines and take your time.

Don't do mud. Tis a bitch to clean. Stick to dry trails. Much more fun.

Also - don't discount a deal just because it has the 2.5L I4. May not have much HP, but it can still get the job done - especially with new gears. If you get a D35C rear, buy spare shafts and oil. You never know when you'll need it to get home. I never had to do that, but I was prepared.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Great idea. Buy a Jeep when gas is pushing $4 per gallon.[/QUOTE]

I got nearly 20mpg with mine.

You wouldn't understand anyways.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']20 mpg is shit.[/QUOTE]

Hey! A Jeep thread! Let me go in and tell everyone how much they suck!

Go troll somewhere else.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I got nearly 20mpg with mine.[/QUOTE]

lol

[quote name='CocheseUGA']You wouldn't understand anyways.[/QUOTE]

lol

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Hey! A Jeep thread! Let me go in and tell everyone how much they suck!

Go troll somewhere else.[/quote]

Not trolling, advising that he gets something a little more eco and wallet friendly.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Not trolling, advising that he gets something a little more eco and wallet friendly.[/QUOTE]

A Jeep doesn't get great gas mileage? No way!

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']You rang?[/quote]
:rofl:
I saw this thread and somehow I knew you'd be here!

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Not trolling, advising that he gets something a little more eco and wallet friendly.[/quote]
OP already said he didn't want to use it as a daily driver. Why would fuel economy be an issue?

[quote name='reiji']

OP already said he didn't want to use it as a daily driver. Why would fuel economy be an issue?[/quote]

Because either way he'll be using more fuel than he needs to, and right now people should try to save as much as possible.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Because either way he'll be using more fuel than he needs to, and right now people should try to save as much as possible.[/QUOTE]

Did you not get the hint the first time your posts were deleted?

Thanks for the input guys, except for tempscars he obviously does not get it.

After reviewing my financial situation I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that my Jeep might have to wait or the budget will have to be reduced to cash on hand. Student loans are coming due in July and they of course take priority over just about anything.

So basically I have a budget of $3k now which is completely inadequate. I found a '98 TJ for $2k yesterday but is was just about the worst condition vehicle I have ever seen.

I also know of another '98 TJ that has been sitting on some used car lot for at least two years. It is marked $6800 since I first saw it but I bet I could get them down to $3k. It's not in horrible condition but my spidey senses are telling me its poison because it has been there so long. I might go take a bite at and see how well it runs, there isn't too much rust underneath it but I can tell it needs a new serpentine belt and probably needs all of its fluids changed. Not sure if it is a 4 or 6 cylinder didn't really bother to check.

Right now it is more or less a waiting game to see if a good deal comes around and what kind of raise I get come July. Maybe when gas spikes this summer people will try to get out of their Wrangler's and prices will come down. Luckily for me my car has been getting 27ish mpg.

[quote name='Trakan']Buddy of mine had a Grand Cherokee. It was nice.

Not too hot on gas, though.[/quote]

I have a GC. It's nice, but I've put A LOT of money into it. 4 Starters, an Engine, a Transmission...just naming parts that I know the name of.

Anyways, the gas isn't too bad and I have a V8. I somehow manage to get close to 20 mpg.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']All good suggestions.

My advice would be to NOT buy anything that is already lifted or modded. Not only will you run the risk of fixing someone else's problem, but you'll also miss out on the joys of your first mods/lift.

Buy a stock Jeep, and take it out on a novice trail. The most important thing you can do is learn to drive it when you don't necessarily have the equipment to do it easily. Pick your lines and take your time.
[/QUOTE]

This man speaks the truth.

My dad used to have an '04 Grand Cherokee Limited (last year they looked good imo) and it was pretty badass. He had every option except the tire pressure monitor and rain sensing wipers, so it was basically loaded. The H.O V8 it had sounded amazing, especially after he put on a short ram intake. He also had some other mods (I don't know all that he put on it), but I know he replaced the struts and shocks, raised it 2 inches, put bigger tires on it, put a beefy rear sway bar on it, and upgraded something that has to do with steering in the front (no clue what it's called). Beastly SUV but he sold it a few years ago because he switches cars every few years.

I really have no interest in a Grand Cherokee. I want this for an off road/weekend rig.

I found a '97 Sahara for $3500, but it had 200k miles and needs a lot of brake work.

bread's done
Back