Jobs at EB/GS

hoofrog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
There is an assistant manager position open at my local EB. I know some of you all work there, I was just curious what EB/GS or other retailers of their size pay for management positions. Thanks.

When I used to work at Game Crazy as an assman I was paid $8.00/hour. Of course my DM was a jerk off and underpaid me since the standard was somewhere around $8.40 according to the training manual I got. Oh this might get moved elsewhere, since it's not a deal.

its going to depend on your experience in retail, any previous management experience and where you live. Larger cities will/should pay more than smaller cities. From what I know, EB tends to pay better than GS, at least in my area.

Retail is fine if you're the right type of person.

When I left EB, I was making $11.64/hr + commission as the ASM. Started at $10/hr. Of course my raise didn't have anything to do with me being ranked 10th out of 85 stores in the region in my annual review ;)

[quote name='Scahom1']Retail is fine if you're the right type of person.

When I left EB, I was making $11.64/hr + commission as the ASM. Started at $10/hr. Of course my raise didn't have anything to do with me being ranked 10th out of 85 stores in the region in my annual review ;)[/QUOTE]

That's amazing, Every time I hear someone that worked(s) at EB/GS on here the talk about how much the pay sucks. I guess they were never motivated.

Maybe I should of put in an app at the new EB that is opening instead of Wal-mart.

damn, an assistant manager get paid that little? Damn........ I wonder why they actually give you trouble when returning things.........I mean if I was getting paid that little I wouldn't give a sh*t what and how people return games........I guess they have the title and think it's all about the title, but damnnnnn man, get a real job

I'm an assistant manager at an IT company and make $50 grand a year and that is considered on the low end of management.

Boston, perhaps it slipped your mind but many people on this website are young adults who haven't finished/entered college yet, and to them a job that pays ~$10 per hour is good.

I used to work at one of the Gamestops here in Ohio. I was the assistant manager and was making 8.75..All of the regular employees were paid minimum wage..Which is like 6.75..Gamestop is an alright place to work sadly i usually blew my check on video games..lol

I think most people here would, although anyone have any tips on gettign a job there? I still have about a year to wait, but I figure if I make myself a regular customer I'll be more likely to be selected for the entry position.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']damn, an assistant manager get paid that little? Damn........ I wonder why they actually give you trouble when returning things.........I mean if I was getting paid that little I wouldn't give a sh*t what and how people return games........I guess they have the title and think it's all about the title, but damnnnnn man, get a real job

I'm an assistant manager at an IT company and make $50 grand a year and that is considered on the low end of management.[/QUOTE]

I am makeing in the 40's and not in managment at all. Everyone has to start somwhere and it is best to go where you know your product. I would go for it if for nothing more than to get you experience and then move up with another company if needbe

[quote name='Graystone']No sir it's $5.15[/QUOTE]

Differs by state, if you paid employees 5.15 an hour in MA, you'd have serious legal issues on your hand. It's actually 6.75 here.

I heard that you have to be at least 17 to work at gamestop/eb? I was just wondering since I just turned 16 and figured what better place to work than a game store.

I live in Las Vegas, NV btw, and I know that somethings might vary from state to state, but any answer would be helpful. I'd rather deal with assholes at a gamestore than at McDonalds >.>

[quote name='Diesel69']I used to work at one of the Gamestops here in Ohio. I was the assistant manager and was making 8.75..All of the regular employees were paid minimum wage..Which is like 6.75..Gamestop is an alright place to work sadly i usually blew my check on video games..lol[/QUOTE]

5.15 is minimum wage.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']damn, an assistant manager get paid that little? Damn........ I wonder why they actually give you trouble when returning things.........I mean if I was getting paid that little I wouldn't give a sh*t what and how people return games........I guess they have the title and think it's all about the title, but damnnnnn man, get a real job

I'm an assistant manager at an IT company and make $50 grand a year and that is considered on the low end of management.[/QUOTE]

Lol... see kids, even people like this can make $50k, so always strive for your dreams. :)

Yes, because I'm sure that the 18-20 year olds out there (which are probably a good portion of Asst Mgrs of retail stores) are able to become asst mgrs for IT firms. I mean, there are plenty of assistant managers who make 6 figures, they just happen to be white collar asst mgrs with MBAs and not retail asst mgrs.

Paging Reality's Fringe... Paging Reality's Fringe...

Since he hasn't posted yet, let me just say... DO NOT TAKE A JOB AT EB OR GS. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

That is all.

And Tromack, he was probably talking about the minimum wage for his state. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Wal-Mart and McDonald's have higher starting wages and raises for regular workers. Actually, I'm almost certain that they do. GS (I wouldn't know about EB) is the king of jokingly low wages.

Gamestop does hire at 17 but they prefer 18 year olds. Alot of theft occurs in Gamestores.Anywhere really but in a store that small its easy to steal. They prefer 18 year olds because if their caught stealing they can be prosecuted.

I was at a gamestop in portsmouth, nh once and there was some guys first day. It was the end of his shift and they told him he had to go through a pocket check every day to ensure he doesn't steal any games, particularly small games like gameboy games. Is that normal for them? To me that would be extremely demeaning, though the guy didn't seem to care.

[quote name='Diesel69']Gamestop does hire at 17 but they prefer 18 year olds. Alot of theft occurs in Gamestores.Anywhere really but in a store that small its easy to steal. They prefer 18 year olds because if their caught stealing they can be prosecuted.[/QUOTE]

The best part about working at GS for me is the hold drawer.
happy3.gif

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I was at a gamestop in portsmouth, nh once and there was some guys first day. It was the end of his shift and they told him he had to go through a pocket check every day to ensure he doesn't steal any games, particularly small games like gameboy games. Is that normal for them? To me that would be extremely demeaning, though the guy didn't seem to care.[/QUOTE]

Yup. That's normal. Wouldn't you do the same if you ran a company where most of the stealing is a inside job?

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I was at a gamestop in portsmouth, nh once and there was some guys first day. It was the end of his shift and they told him he had to go through a pocket check every day to ensure he doesn't steal any games, particularly small games like gameboy games. Is that normal for them? To me that would be extremely demeaning, though the guy didn't seem to care.[/QUOTE]

Yup, we have to do bag checks and such for each other before we leave everyday. Kinda pointless though because sometimes there are people who close by themselves so they can just take whatever then.

I think we've had a thread about this in the past...In case you're wondering what's required to do the job -

1. arrogant prick
2. know nothing about games
3. think that you're the king of the world because you work at a video game store

2 out of the above 3 should get you in...if you have all 3, they'll take you in with open arms.

Every time we leave the store we have to empty our pockets and have our bags looked through. Not quite so bad when you see the DM's and RM's having to do the same whenever they come through. At first I thought it was demeaning but after being with GS for 2 years I don't even think about it anymore.

Out of curiosity, do those who work at either think EB or GS is better? Gamestop seems like a bitch, because they live off of Game Informer subscriptions and pre-orders. I imagine that EG doesn't quite as much.

[quote name='gsr']I think we've had a thread about this in the past...In case you're wondering what's required to do the job -

1. arrogant prick
3. think that you're the king of the world because you work at a video game store

2 out of the above 3 should get you in...if you have all 3, they'll take you in with open arms.[/QUOTE]

and yet, in order to be a retarded customer at a game store, you only have to have this ONE preconception about the employees there!

[quote name='Graystone']That's amazing, Every time I hear someone that worked(s) at EB/GS on here the talk about how much the pay sucks. I guess they were never motivated.

Maybe I should of put in an app at the new EB that is opening instead of Wal-mart.[/QUOTE]
Which EB is this? Huber Heights?

This is standard practice at GS. At the store I used to work at, they only had one security camera on the floor, and guess where it was pointed. Did you guess? Yep, the employees at the register. They also had one in the stockroom looking at us. You'd think they'd have at least ONE turned to the sales floor with all the high priced accessories etc. they have sitting out.

To the person asking about the job, allow me to say "Go for it". You'll learn a great deal...trust me. The experience will more than likely be a bilious and scarring one, but you'll get a whole new perspective on things. Just don't expect more than 3 hours a week, a boss who does his job, sensible customers, or looking and feeling good in a pair of kahkis and loafers.

[quote name='varsitygamer']and yet, in order to be a retarded customer at a game store, you only have to have this ONE preconception about the employees there![/QUOTE]

Nah, you can be a retarded customer at any store. The way you can spot retarded customers at game stores is to look for the people trading in a bunch of recent games and/or systems for minimal cash or credit. :D

They never did the check when I worked at GS. I guess my manager knew it was BS. He would have other employees write him off for the check even though no one was ever checked. My manager kicked ass.... Too bad he quit shortly after I did.

The problem i can see with working at EB games, at least here in the stand alone store that i go to to buy stuff, is that a lot of times the employees get left alone in the store, they have to work the whole store alone. There is no one else in there, i really feel bad for the people that work there because of this. This particular EB also gets ahem, let me just say it as a lot of unfavorable customer types.
There is also tons of theft and i was told they do have a camera pointed at the employees/checkout counter but this is moreso to oversee transactions between customers and the employees than it is to prevent the employees from stealing.

This is because if a customer comes in with a complaint like, getting an empty box, they can go and review the tape to see if the customer is trying to commit fraud against them. If the camera catches the employee putting the game in the case and handing it to the customer they can assume if the customer brings back an empty box and said he/she didnt get the game with the box that the customer is trying to scam ebgames. I am unsure if they have cameras pointed all over the store in this particular ebgames.

Be aware that if you work at any gamestore you will get tons of theft and theft attempts from customers, this is what i have heard from employees who work at ebgames, some of which i know personally, you will also have to mind the store all by yourself at some times. People are constantly trying to scam ebgames/ all gamestores (not talking about a systems glitch or legitimate use of a deal).

You will also have to deal with irate customers, soccer moms who dont know anything and will whine because the kid wants a 50$ game (sometimes i think the mom's are more childish in these cases hehe), people who will whine because the game they want isnt on the system they own, people whining about lack of games for a certain system, people whining about how they hate EA games, people whining because game x isnt in stock and doesnt come out for a couple months etc... Not to mention dealing with obsessive fanboys and whatnot, ive actually heard that the gamestores provide training for dealing with these types of people lol.

So if you feel uncomfortable working in this kind of environment then please dont take a job there.

[quote name='SaraAB']The problem i can see with working at EB games, at least here in the stand alone store that i go to to buy stuff, is that a lot of times the employees get left alone in the store, they have to work the whole store alone. There is no one else in there, i really feel bad for the people that work there because of this. This particular EB also gets ahem, let me just say it as a lot of unfavorable customer types.
There is also tons of theft and i was told they do have a camera pointed at the employees/checkout counter but this is moreso to oversee transactions between customers and the employees than it is to prevent the employees from stealing.

This is because if a customer comes in with a complaint like, getting an empty box, they can go and review the tape to see if the customer is trying to commit fraud against them. If the camera catches the employee putting the game in the case and handing it to the customer they can assume if the customer brings back an empty box and said he/she didnt get the game with the box that the customer is trying to scam ebgames. I am unsure if they have cameras pointed all over the store in this particular ebgames.

Be aware that if you work at any gamestore you will get tons of theft and theft attempts from customers, this is what i have heard from employees who work at ebgames, some of which i know personally, you will also have to mind the store all by yourself at some times. People are constantly trying to scam ebgames/ all gamestores (not talking about a systems glitch or legitimate use of a deal).

You will also have to deal with irate customers, soccer moms who dont know anything and will whine because the kid wants a 50$ game (sometimes i think the mom's are more childish in these cases hehe), people who will whine because the game they want isnt on the system they own, people whining about lack of games for a certain system, people whining about how they hate EA games, people whining because game x isnt in stock and doesnt come out for a couple months etc... Not to mention dealing with obsessive fanboys and whatnot, ive actually heard that the gamestores provide training for dealing with these types of people lol.

So if you feel uncomfortable working in this kind of environment then please dont take a job there.[/QUOTE]

Yea I agree soccer moms really make a big scene for a small problem or a misunderstanding. Last summer I was doing some volunteering at the local fair and I remember a mom requesting for a flyer for each of her kids. The catch is that I was instructed by my supervisor to not give them all out due to limited quantity and kids tend to litter these little pamphlets everywhere. Well knowing that I had like only 15 more left + my supervisor was present I simply gave only 2 at most to her to be fair to other guests that want to know the day's schedule/events. Then she just blew up like a 3 year old and telling me how much she paid for the tickets to be in the fair, how she deserves better service, and other un-related comments... I was in total shock at how she reacted to my fair judgement: 1 for her and 1 for her kids to share. I just stood there with my jaw dropped like "wtf" for a moment. Then I just gave her the whole pile to give to her 5 kids who were already making airplanes out of the ones I gave her earlier...

For short: Soccer-moms = angry barbarians with poor rationale. You'll be seeing a lot of these demons in retail-stores.

On the bright side my supervisor didn't care and I learned a valuable moral: soccermoms are angry "female dog"es.

Yep, and just like most management, big head with little tact.

OP, go with the AM job if you can, it will be good experience.

[quote name='adrianchan56']Yea I agree soccer moms really make a big scene for a small problem or a misunderstanding. Last summer I was doing some volunteering at the local fair and I remember a mom requesting for a flyer for each of her kids. The catch is that I was instructed by my supervisor to not give them all out due to limited quantity and kids tend to litter these little pamphlets everywhere. Well knowing that I had like only 15 more left + my supervisor was present I simply gave only 2 at most to her to be fair to other guests that want to know the day's schedule/events. Then she just blew up like a 3 year old and telling me how much she paid for the tickets to be in the fair, how she deserves better service, and other un-related comments... I was in total shock at how she reacted to my fair judgement: 1 for her and 1 for her kids to share. I just stood there with my jaw dropped like "wtf" for a moment. Then I just gave her the whole pile to give to her 5 kids who were already making airplanes out of the ones I gave her earlier...

[/QUOTE]

If you dont want to pay for the cost of the fair then dont go to the fair, a bit off topic but its county fair season, i havent seen a fair that doesnt list all admission prices and all related attraction prices yet upfront on their website, a bit of research will get you the prices of everything.

Tell her just to write a letter to the fair board if she is that enraged about something that stupid, chances are most soccer moms probably dont even have the intelligence to write a good letter (especially ones that will do something like that).

[quote name='gsr']I think we've had a thread about this in the past...In case you're wondering what's required to do the job -

1. arrogant prick

2 out of the above 3 should get you in...if you have all 3, they'll take you in with open arms.[/QUOTE]

Gosh, now I know why I get paid so little...

bread's done
Back