Join the CAG team on The simExchange Video Game Prediction Market

Their website is so convoluted that I can't find a "thread" for asking questions/help... so I'll ask here.

Let's say I've bought a stock: 500 shares @ 50DKP
Time has passed and the market price has gone up to 55DKP. I've decided I like the price and want to sell it at 55DKP. But when I go to sell, the order book says there is an offer to sell 800 shares @ 53DKP.

So assuming I've read things right, I would be selling at 53DKP and NOT 55DKP. If this is the case, will the sell price ever be equal to the market price?

(obviously I'm a noob who's only experience with stocks was a 5th grade project where you picked stocks, tracked em for a month and see how you did).

[quote name='Warner1281']Their website is so convoluted that I can't find a "thread" for asking questions/help... so I'll ask here.

Let's say I've bought a stock: 500 shares @ 50DKP
Time has passed and the market price has gone up to 55DKP. I've decided I like the price and want to sell it at 55DKP. But when I go to sell, the order book says there is an offer to sell 800 shares @ 53DKP.

So assuming I've read things right, I would be selling at 53DKP and NOT 55DKP. If this is the case, will the sell price ever be equal to the market price?

(obviously I'm a noob who's only experience with stocks was a 5th grade project where you picked stocks, tracked em for a month and see how you did).[/quote]

Good Question

The 55DKP price that you see is just the results of the last trade two people agreed upon. You are only able to buy at the price someone wants to sell at, and you are only able to sell at the price someone wants to buy at. These prices can be significantly different from the last traded price.

[quote name='Jesse2040']Good Question

The 55DKP price that you see is just the results of the last trade two people agreed upon. You are only able to buy at the price someone wants to sell at, and you are only able to sell at the price someone wants to buy at. These prices can be significantly different from the last traded price.
[/quote]

ty... once finals are over I'll actually take the time and do some reading up on how the stock market works, etc. But for now, this was all I needed to know.

Another question (if someone wants to point me to a help thread on thesimexchange I can stop cluttering this thread ;) )...

So it looks like they closed all of the November NPDs. When will i get the money for those stocks back (at the closing price, I assume)? My available to short is very much in the negative and I need to fix that, but my DKP is all tied up in stocks that I can't liquidate.

[quote name='Warner1281']Another question (if someone wants to point me to a help thread on thesimexchange I can stop cluttering this thread ;) )...

So it looks like they closed all of the November NPDs. When will i get the money for those stocks back (at the closing price, I assume)? My available to short is very much in the negative and I need to fix that, but my DKP is all tied up in stocks that I can't liquidate.[/quote]

Day or two at most. They close before official NPD numbers, then once those are released they get cashed out.

[quote name='Charron']Day or two at most. They close before official NPD numbers, then once those are released they get cashed out.[/quote]

Oh, I see. I thought they closed the same time the NPD numbers got released. I guess your version makes more sense though.

Is there any real point to this? Like do you win money and or actual games. I mean it sounds interesting, but why should I play their game if I don't win anything? I don't use my time just to waste it. I'm not a C list internet guy with a lot of boring time.

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']Is there any real point to this? Like do you win money and or actual games. I mean it sounds interesting, but why should I play their game if I don't win anything? I don't use my time just to waste it. I'm not a C list internet guy with a lot of boring time.[/quote]

no its a game...if it doesnt sound fun dont play

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy']:( darn, this thing could have been super sweet. oh well.[/quote]

I've actually talked with Brian about tangible prizes for this.... his argument against it was how alluring it'd make market manipulation and cheating. Seeing as even Pachter is looking at it as a viable prediction method I'm with him on thinking the balance of it should come first.

Game of the Year - I love this thing. I cant stop sitting here doing research. I took NPD to the bank and I'm up nearly 50% and basically just started.

[quote name='FxhoundADAM']It still won't let me join the CAG league. I'm FoxHoundADAM there.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if this has been resolved for you, but you are currently appearing as #13 on the CAG League.

Remember, it takes one day for new users to show up in a League.

I've been on this for a long time. So long that it says I'm still playing Tony Hawk Project 8.

I think I have been added to the community. Not sure how that all works for current members

What happens when a game that is being traded gets delayed?

Example: Dark Sector PS3 has a January NPD listing, but every release date I can find for it is late February.

[quote name='fart_bubble']man I really screwed up by shorting COD4 (360)[/quote]

Hah, don't worry, I seriously messed up on November's NPD figures too--I shorted COD4! November alone cost me like 20% of my DKP points.

BTW, this is coming from an Analyst who is supposed to know everything about gaming!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']What happens when a game that is being traded gets delayed?

Example: Dark Sector PS3 has a January NPD listing, but every release date I can find for it is late February.[/quote]

If you own it, dont sell! You will be refunded everything you originally invested

I've been a member for 1 month as of yesterday (I signed up 12/6/07), and I'm #12 at 2,336,394.11. The gaps between places get a lot bigger from here on out D:

Business as usual though, holla

Ok, so I don't know what I am doing. I just signed up, read the FAq about twice about bout 10 shares of Rock Band 360 for January 08. I am so confused.

[quote name='BSherrod']Ok, so I don't know what I am doing. I just signed up, read the FAq about twice about bout 10 shares of Rock Band 360 for January 08. I am so confused.[/quote]

Well, if you bought shares for rock band in january than you are betting that the current price is too low.

If you can give me some specific questions I might be able to help you, but for beginners, stick to the NPD Futures. Just look at JAN NPD and see what you think is either too low or too high. If a title is too high (I think DS is) then sell (yes u can sell what u dont have, it's called shorting). Buy up what you think low. When NPD reports their figures (mid FEB for JAN NPD), then we settle all the stocks everyone bought for any JAN NPD futures.

Like I said, anything specific, let me know.

Wii currently at over 600k for March? Thats madness - and yet, I'm hesitant to sell the daylights out of it :wall:

Feb NPD was kind to me.

I sold the heck out of nearly everything that underperformed, with great justice.

One day gain of 1.87 millions and an advancement from #118 to #78.
Also, that ItachiItachi guy is a fucking monster. Seriously.

Actually I am probably going to be quitting, I won't say why other than some proposed changes that I couldn’t tolerate.

Here are the mid-month rankings for the leagues.

Rank ------ Name ------ Total Net Worth Yesterday ------ Total Net Worth Start of Mont ------ %Change MTD
1 ------ NeoGAF ------ 239,652,590.56 ------ 217,935,481.62 ------ 9.96%
2 ------ Cheap Ass Gamer ------ 251,343,087.33 ------ 234,413,890.77 ------ 7.22%
3 ------ Evil Avatar ------ 83,582,849.72 ------ 80,870,490.80 ------ 3.35%

Here are your league’s top 15 -- click to see the rest

Cheap Ass Gamer
League

Rank Cheap Ass Gamer Alias Net Worth %Change MTD
At Close
1 ------ -THE-RAY- ------ 23,235,549.27 ------ 7.60%
2 ------ Charron ------ 21,121,167.70 ------ 2.26%
3 ------ Lithium420 ------ 19,749,807.11 ------ 7.18%
4 ------ SAGExSDX ------ 18,762,759.84 ------ 8.45%
5 ------ Itachiitachi ------ 11,549,693.57 ------ 2.05%
6 ------ Dr Mario Kart ------ 10,914,276.01 ------ 66.90%
7 ------ Purple_Haze ------ 9,704,355.01 ------ 1.67%
8 ------ crazzyyman ------ 8,540,722.51 ------ -0.70%
9 ------ Mithrilwind ------ 7,062,256.19 ------ 4.67%
10 ------ Benopolis ------ 6,023,658.38 ------ 28.95%
11 ------ FoxhoundADAM ------ 5,000,986.08 ------ 13.06%
12 ------ ncdign ------ 3,968,509.83 ------ 18.70%
13 ------ SearingLight ------ 3,548,426.08 ------ 6.98%
14 ------ Jonman ------ 3,537,652.65 ------ 10.06%
15 ------ toymachine12 ------ 3,472,735.13 ------ 1.96%

I'm #33, but since they changed the way they do NPD's recently, its pretty boring. They only do 5 games per month instead of 10 and those games are in the top 10 anyway.

The days of making big bucks shorting games that were going to bomb are over.

bread's done
Back