JRPG Tales of Graces ƒ *CONFIRMED* coming to North America (Vesperia NOT HAPPENING)

The boycott idea is stupid. I'll be purchasing Graces day one to encourage Namco to bring over more Tales.

Who knows, if you vote with your wallet you might get them to bring over ToV PS3.

[quote name='KingBroly']Some people may not have 360's or want to play it on 360. Plus, the PS3 version has a lot more content.[/QUOTE]

Is not that hard why Namco chose Graces. With Vesperia they won't be making any money from people who own the 360 or already played it on the 360. Graces won't have that problem.

[quote name='laaj']Is not that hard why Namco chose Graces. With Vesperia they won't be making any money from people who own the 360 or already played it on the 360. Graces won't have that problem.[/QUOTE]
You'd be surprised, considering how many people found out they were actually playing a beta version.

Hell, I don't have a PS3 and I want the PS3 version, despite having played through the 360 version. Either way, I'm making sure I grab Graces f when I do get a PS3 soon. :)

So does anyone know how Graces stacks up to Vesperia? I'm glad they're bringing this over, but I think they should have both games on 1 blu-ray. They already have Vesperia translated for the 360, so it couldn't be that much more to translate the new content in the PS3 version.

I really liked Symphonia, so I'm probably going to get this.

[quote name='jh6269']So does anyone know how Graces stacks up to Vesperia? I'm glad they're bringing this over, but I think they should have both games on 1 blu-ray. They already have Vesperia translated for the 360, so it couldn't be that much more to translate the new content in the PS3 version.

I really liked Symphonia, so I'm probably going to get this.[/QUOTE]

Gameplay is better hands down. Story/characters/world will vary from person to person, but the general opinion to my understanding is that it's not as good as Vesperia. I have a friend who's playing the japanese version now and for the most part confirms it, but says it's still good. Especially when compared to most of the other crap we've got this generation.

[quote name='jh6269']They already have Vesperia translated for the 360, so it couldn't be that much more to translate the new content in the PS3 version.[/QUOTE]

According to wikipedia, there is a quite a bit more to translate:

The PlayStation 3 version of the game features full voice acting which is almost double the size of the script in the original 360 version. The game also features various new characters such as Flynn as a fully customizable, permanent playable character as well as Patty Fleur, a young girl with blond hair, who is an entirely new playable character. The game also features several unplayable characters from Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike which the game ties-in with. In addition, Repede, Flynn and Patty are selectable as on-screen avatars with new mini-games such as a racing mini-game for Repede, new subplots, skits and main game quests as well as side quests. The game also has new songs added to the game's soundtrack together with remodeled towns and new towns and dungeons. The game also includes new bosses such as the Sword Dancer from previous Tales games, Don Whitehorse and Clint/Tison/Nan, players are also able to replay boss fights at Nam Cobanda Isle which is a play on words with the companies name (NAMCOBANDAI.)

[quote name='Zerok']According to wikipedia, there is a quite a bit more to translate:[/QUOTE]

Rats, well, so much for that...

Seems like they are still undecided on a wii version.

"Since no platform(s) were announced I asked Iwai to clarify if Tales of Graces F would be released on PlayStation 3 and Wii. "We’ll see. We’re working on it. We’ll make the announcement later on," Iwai replied."

Really hope it is the PS3 version (or both, that'd be fine too). IIRC the PS3 port had upgraded visuals / added content. I'll begrudgingly take the Wii version, but that wouldn't make as much sense to bring over in light of the PS3 port.

It is kind of funny how fanboys get up in arms about any changes to old sci-fi movies but embrace changes to games. At least stay consistent.

fuck you Namco for PS3 fucking shit. Give us the better original Wii version.

[quote name='laaj']It is kind of funny how fanboys get up in arms about any changes to old sci-fi movies but embrace changes to games. At least stay consistent.

fuck you Namco for PS3 fucking shit. Give us the better original Wii version.[/QUOTE]

Take off your Nintendo goggles and you'll understand that the PS3 is the complete version of the game w/o any compromises as to content and graphics. Advice from a former Nintendo fanboy: get a PS3 already, it's going to be around a while. You'll thank me once you do.

[quote name='jh6269']Take off your Nintendo goggles and you'll understand that the PS3 is the complete version of the game w/o any compromises as to content and graphics. Advice from a former Nintendo fanboy: get a PS3 already, it's going to be around a while. You'll thank me once you do.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. Show me a >completed< movie, book, music, painting, sculpture or TV show which didn't have to compromise. Be it a time, money, supplies, and etc they had to make do what they had.

Since Da Vinci didn't have all the materials that's available now, is it OK for some painter to tweak the Mona Lisa?

I feel this is one of the reason why games aren't taken seriously as art.

[quote name='laaj']I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. Show me a >completed< movie, book, music, painting, sculpture or TV show which didn't have to compromise. Be it a time, money, supplies, and etc they had to make do what they had.

Since Da Vinci didn't have all the materials that's available now, is it OK for some painter to tweak the Mona Lisa?

I feel this is one of the reason why games aren't taken seriously as art.[/QUOTE]

I'm not calling you a fanboy, I called myself a former Nintendo fanboy. I think that's what makes video games unique: the original creator can expand on his original idea. The PS3 version is going to be the best version available, and I'm happy to have it. I have a Wii as well, and I would much rather play on the PS3. Namco is such a weird company, it's a miracle they even decided to bring us the game at all.

[quote name='laaj']I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. Show me a >completed< movie, book, music, painting, sculpture or TV show which didn't have to compromise. Be it a time, money, supplies, and etc they had to make do what they had.

I feel this is one of the reason why games aren't taken seriously as art.[/QUOTE]

So you're telling me that you don't want the additional post-game story that solves all the games questions you're left with at the end of the game which is roughly 1/3rd the length of the original story that was left out due to publishing time/money on the Wii version?

EDIT: Actually I think my information may be slightly wrong. It seems it's 3/4ths the length of the main story.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jh6269']I'm not calling you a fanboy, I called myself a former Nintendo fanboy. I think that's what makes video games unique: the original creator can expand on his original idea. The PS3 version is going to be the best version available, and I'm happy to have it. I have a Wii as well, and I would much rather play on the PS3. Namco is such a weird company, it's a miracle they even decided to bring us the game at all.[/QUOTE]

It makes video games unique from other forms of art, but it is not unique from other forms of games. People tweak the rules of games to cater their own preferences. Games are interactive experiences, and if you can think of a better way of entertaining yourself with the game, then you can tweak the experience to suit your tastes. In that way two people may play the same game but have a completely different way of interacting with the game, and thus have a different experience with the game. This is a fundamental part of games, and so it's only natural that the creators of the work would also tweak the games to add more of the content they wanted to add, or that fans want to see added.

[quote name='laaj']It is kind of funny how fanboys get up in arms about any changes to old sci-fi movies but embrace changes to games. At least stay consistent.

fuck you Namco for PS3 fucking shit. Give us the better original Wii version.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Draekon']So you're telling me that you don't want the additional post-game story that solves all the games questions you're left with at the end of the game which is roughly 1/3rd the length of the original story that was left out due to publishing time/money on the Wii version?[/QUOTE]

I was about to ask what made the Wii version better as I had heard the PS3 version was the better version...

The Wii version is the beta version. Same way how Symphonia's GameCube version was the beta and Vesperia's 360 version was the beta.

They're in no way "complete" compared to the updated ports on the PS2 and PS3. And to claim the Wii version was better is laughable, especially when it had to be recalled for having bugs and glitches all over the place on day 1.

[quote name='jh6269']I'm not calling you a fanboy, I called myself a former Nintendo fanboy. I think that's what makes video games unique: the original creator can expand on his original idea. The PS3 version is going to be the best version available, and I'm happy to have it. I have a Wii as well, and I would much rather play on the PS3. Namco is such a weird company, it's a miracle they even decided to bring us the game at all.[/QUOTE]Plus the PS3 version is in HD, has trophies, DLC, etc. There's no reason to get the Wii version if you have a PS3. I'm playing my import copy on PS3 and it's great.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Plus the PS3 version is in HD, has trophies, DLC, etc. There's no reason to get the Wii version if you have a PS3. I'm playing my import copy on PS3 and it's great.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the HD part goes without saying, but I didn't even think about the whole DLC angle.

[quote name='Tsukento']The Wii version is the beta version. Same way how Symphonia's GameCube version was the beta and Vesperia's 360 version was the beta.

They're in no way "complete" compared to the updated ports on the PS2 and PS3. And to claim the Wii version was better is laughable, especially when it had to be recalled for having bugs and glitches all over the place on day 1.[/QUOTE]

I see... so Namco basically trolls everybody except for Japanese Playstation owners?

Lol.

I can't stand Wii games much, glad this is coming over for the 3rd.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, the HD part goes without saying, but I didn't even think about the whole DLC angle.[/QUOTE]

Wii version got DLC too, just not as much as PS3 version

[quote name='Vinny']I see... so Namco basically trolls everybody except for Japanese Playstation owners?[/QUOTE]
Well, even the Japanese PS owners get trolled in some way. They were furious when they heard Vesperia was going to be exclusive on the 360. Even moreso when they later found out they bought a 360 for nothing because of Vesperia heading to the PS3 with more content.

More content doesn't mean it's better. Better graphics doesn't make a game better. If that was true, why are developers even making new games. All they should be doing is remaking games with better graphics and more content.

If Graces F came out on Wii and it wasn't a buggy mess like the first run of it in Japan, I would get the Wii version over the PS3 version. Don't give me this crap about 'there's no point in not getting the HD version' because it doesn't really matter. It's fanboyism at its' worst to say 'no point' about getting a game or not because it's not on your platform of choice.

[quote name='SynGamer']So Vesperia on the PS3 is confirmed to NOT be coming, or is it undecided?[/QUOTE]

Well, it hasn't come out and it's been out for a while now. Very slim chance it might, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

[quote name='62t']Wii version got DLC too, just not as much as PS3 version[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I didn't know the Wii Shop had DLC for games.

[quote name='laaj']More content doesn't mean it's better. Better graphics doesn't make a game better. If that was true, why are developers even making new games. All they should be doing is remaking games with better graphics and more content.[/QUOTE]
Okay, people have given you reasons why they believe the PS3 version is better. So how about you give some reasons as to why you believe the Wii version is better. I'm not agreeing with you, I am firmly in the PS3 camp on this one, but I'm just curious as to why you believe the Wii version is better.

Oh, and I'm talking quality/content wise, not "because I don't own a PS3".

[quote name='laaj']More content doesn't mean it's better.[/QUOTE]
Yes, it does. Having more content on one version over the other, especially when it involves FLESHING OUT THE STORY, makes it better than the vanilla version. That's like saying Persona 3 is better than Persona 3 FES and Persona 3 Portable.

[quote name='SynGamer']So Vesperia on the PS3 is confirmed to NOT be coming, or is it undecided?[/QUOTE]
They're teasing us over it now. Especially by not denying or confirming it when asked about it. Before they'd just say flat out it's not coming.

Activision, Ubisoft and Sega had no problem with releasing inferior ports for the Wii. They could still justify a Wii version since it has the largest user base.

But the difference here is the content. As of now, unless they pull something new on us, Graces F for PS3 has more content for Graces on Wii. If they released both AS IS, it'd be insanely bad form for them to do, and makes look pathetic as a company.

[quote name='KingBroly']But the difference here is the content. As of now, unless they pull something new on us, Graces F for PS3 has more content for Graces on Wii. If they released both AS IS, it'd be insanely bad form for them to do, and makes look pathetic as a company.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Did it hurt Activison when they released Modern Warefare for Wii? Or Sega released inferior version of Sonic for the Wii? Or any music game on Wii that is unable to get DLC? We are talking about 10 hours of end game (only 3 new dungeons), some DLC costumes and a few new moves. It doesnt change the quality of the main game.

[quote name='62t']Not really. Did it hurt Activison when they released Modern Warefare for Wii? Or Sega released inferior version of Sonic for the Wii? Or any music game on Wii that is unable to get DLC? We are talking about 10 hours of end game (only 3 new dungeons), some DLC costumes and a few new moves. It doesnt change the quality of the main game.[/QUOTE]

The difference there is that it was TWO YEARS after the fact and was the exact same content on the PS3/360 discs. In this situation it'd be like releasing a Special Edition on one console and a Regular Edition on another for the same price day-and-date. It's bad business to do that, not only for consumers but investors as well.

The "smart" move for Bamco would be to release Graces F on PS3 and Wii, same content on both versions. The only difference between the two would be HD graphics and Trophies on PS3.

[quote name='KingBroly']The difference there is that it was TWO YEARS after the fact and was the exact same content on the PS3/360 discs. In this situation it'd be like releasing a Special Edition on one console and a Regular Edition on another for the same price day-and-date. It's bad business to do that, not only for consumers but investors as well.

[/QUOTE]

The Wii been getting inferior ports of Xbox 360/PS3 games from just about every publisher, often with less features and content. Even between PS3 and Xbox 360 there are content differences. This is like complaining that Xbox 360 version of Sega Racing got extra characters over the other version.

Heck compare NCAA football on Wii and PS3/Xbox 360. The Wii version was missing tons of features and content. Thats more like what you call special edition and regular edition on different consoles. It didn't make EA look bad as it was target specifically to people who own a Wii but not PS3/Xbox 360.

The Wii version actually has Kamenin Merchant as a downloadable DSiware game, which is not in PS3 version. But I am guessing even if we did Graces on Wii we won't see the game.

[quote name='shadylane']Wait, so tales of vesperia isn't coming to the ps3?[/QUOTE]
As I mentioned, they've been dodging the question lately rather than the usual denial. Best not to get your hopes up, but at this point it's also best not to rule it out.

Also, an interesting thing I noticed from Rich's Twitter:

chibisake Juan Jose
@Filthierich Hi, Rich Is The american ver. of Tales of Graces F exclusive for PS3? Thank u

Filthierich Rich Bantegui
@chibisake no news yet, ill let you know when I hear something

The fact that even the community manager doesn't know if the game is PS3 exclusive here kinda looks optimistic for Wii owners.

That sucks that Rich said on his twitter that Graces F 2012 date was Europe and to wait on US news. But now every news outlet is saying 2012 for the US too. :whistle2:(

Anyone else get in on the price mistake on Amazon for $39.99? :D

[quote name='Tsukento']

The fact that even the community manager doesn't know if the game is PS3 exclusive here kinda looks optimistic for Wii owners.[/QUOTE]

He doesn't seem to know much, does he...:lol:

bread's done
Back