Juice n keybard

Bloodbooger

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Nt drunk but keys n my G11 are nt wrking right anymre. Any way t fix this? Dnt think it gt saked but haf my keys arent resnding.

Caing Tech Surt tmmrw but any immediate he wud be great.

Thank yu!

my razor keyboard have the same problem but when it happens i just unplug and replug back in it works fine for awhile until it acts up again.

[quote name='62t']remove the key and clean it out[/QUOTE]

This. Keys are meant to be popped out, just get a knife and pry them up one by one, clean it out, then put em all back down.

I did that to a Sega Saturn netlink keyboard when I was a kid. I knocked over a huge 32oz cup onto it. I took the whole thing apart but it never survived my sugary sweet lemonade.

If it's into the actual circuitry, you're screwed.

If you do spill something into the keyboard, never start hiting buttons.

If you have a keyboard with drain holes in it, drain all the liquid out.

Then, if you have drain holes or not, remove all of the keys. Take a butter knife and pop them out. They come out easily.

Get a cup and fill it with warm water and dish soap. Dump all the keys into it for the meantime.

If you don't have drain holes, this next step is going to be a bitch for you. Get a ton of paper towels and clean out the keyboard base. It is VERY important to not get liquid into the stems that the keys fall into to. Do that and you're looking at a paperweight.

Once it's all cleaned out, dip a paper towel into your soapy water and go around the keyboard base with it. Again, DO NOT GET IT IN THE STEM. Dry it with another paper towel and you're good.

Next, take your keys and rinse them off. Then dry them, completely. You're going to need to towel them off, then let them air-dry for awhile.

Once they're FULLY dry, pop them back into the keyboard.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Nt drunk but keys n my G11 are nt wrking right anymre. Any way t fix this? Dnt think it gt saked but haf my keys arent resnding.

Caing Tech Surt tmmrw but any immediate he wud be great.

Thank yu![/QUOTE]
I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat.

I´ve always put the keyboard on the top rack of the dishwasher and then let it dry for 3 or 4 days somewhere hot, just like Leo Laporte from This Week in Tech. I´ve done with 5 different keyboards now, all worked just fine afterwards.

[quote name='Logain8955']If it's into the actual circuitry, you're screwed.

If you do spill something into the keyboard, never start hiting buttons.

If you have a keyboard with drain holes in it, drain all the liquid out.

Then, if you have drain holes or not, remove all of the keys. Take a butter knife and pop them out. They come out easily.

Get a cup and fill it with warm water and dish soap. Dump all the keys into it for the meantime.

If you don't have drain holes, this next step is going to be a bitch for you. Get a ton of paper towels and clean out the keyboard base. It is VERY important to not get liquid into the stems that the keys fall into to. Do that and you're looking at a paperweight.

Once it's all cleaned out, dip a paper towel into your soapy water and go around the keyboard base with it. Again, DO NOT GET IT IN THE STEM. Dry it with another paper towel and you're good.

Next, take your keys and rinse them off. Then dry them, completely. You're going to need to towel them off, then let them air-dry for awhile.

Once they're FULLY dry, pop them back into the keyboard.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm on a cheap keyboard for the time being. I haven't had time to try this out, but I am definately going to give it a go this weekend. I'd like to salvage the G11 if possible.

[quote name='Achuba Nanoia']I´ve always put the keyboard on the top rack of the dishwasher and then let it dry for 3 or 4 days somewhere hot, just like Leo Laporte from This Week in Tech. I´ve done with 5 different keyboards now, all worked just fine afterwards.[/QUOTE]

Whoa... you actually run it through the dishwasher? A lot less juice went into making it stop working proper.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Thanks, I'm on a cheap keyboard for the time being. I haven't had time to try this out, but I am definately going to give it a go this weekend. I'd like to salvage the G11 if possible.

Whoa... you actually run it through the dishwasher? A lot less juice went into making it stop working proper.[/QUOTE]

No problem. Just take your time and be careful with everything.

As far as the dishwasher, I've heard of that working, but I'm too scared to do it.

Water hitting circuitry isn't in and of itself bad, it's water hitting powered circuitry. If the circuits are at all damp when power gets back into it, that's when things short out and go crazy.

90% rubbing alcohol is a decent cleaner, and it will dry without residue.

I'd be careful with the dishwasher and a higher-end keyboard like the G11. I imagine the circuitry is a little more advanced than a normal keyboard. If you try the dishwasher trick, don't use any soap. Chlorine (which is in most dishwasher detergents) will wreak havoc on exposed contacts. And if you live in an area where the water is very hard, those minerals will end up on the internal contacts when it dries. Of course, as a last resort, it can't hurt to try. You won't be any worse for wear if your non-working keyboard still doesn't work.

You also might try just soaking it in distilled water (no minerals in the water) or a 50/50 mixture of distilled water/alcohol (use 90% though, the 73% stuff has much more impurities and mineral oil in it) and making sure it dries completely before attempting to use it.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Thanks, I'm on a cheap keyboard for the time being. I haven't had time to try this out, but I am definately going to give it a go this weekend. I'd like to salvage the G11 if possible.

Whoa... you actually run it through the dishwasher? A lot less juice went into making it stop working proper.[/QUOTE]

I've also ran 50 or so keyboards through the dishwasher without issues. It's much faster when I get a bulk bunch of used keyboards in to wash them this way.

EDIT: And I should say, these were your standard PS/2 and USB keyboards; very generic ones. I would manually remove keys and clean it if it's an expensive unit.

bread's done
Back