just a passing idea: CAG Secret Santa

Visc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
87 (100%)
I thought that since there are a lot of really great people on CAG, that this might be an idea to bring up with the masses here. I don't want to be long and drawn out, so here's my best attempt at keeping the idea short and simple. Also note that I am definately not the right person to set this up if it goes through due to lack of time, I just wanted to pass the idea out and get some feedback on it.

Should it be used, basically:

-A thread gets made where you post if you want in on it.
-Stick with people who have a positive feedback rating, or a certain number of positive feedback or more.
-People taking part are randomly given someone to give a game related gift to for whatever holiday the celebrate (nothing expensive or big deal, but it is allowed)
-people can ask other members to find out what systems and such their recipient has (if they want to make sure they get something good)
-Recipiants get whatever they get with a notice of which CAG gave it to them (with any comments they may want to add), who also mention what they got in the forums (if they want)

I figure this would be something fun to for everyone to do, and at the least it could help some get rid of stuff in their lists that just won't sell while giving other people something they may not have played before. As I stated though, I'm definately not the type of person who should set this up, not only do I lack time, but I happen to be really bad at this stuff. If someone likes the idea though, and has adequate time, feel free to take this idea as your own though. I wouldn't mind some feedback on the idea either, just for the heck of it.

...yeah, I guess I couldn't help not making this long an drawn out....

I really like the idea. I think it wouldnt be all so secretive, but still a great way to befriend a new (not new in respect to the site, but new as to never heard/talked to them) user. Keep me posted through PMs as to if this idea ever takes flight.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']I really like the idea. I think it wouldnt be all so secretive, but still a great way to befriend a new (not new in respect to the site, but new as to never heard/talked to them) user. Keep me posted through PMs as to if this idea ever takes flight.[/quote]

Actually I posted this here in the hopes someone may like it enough to give this a shot, I'm sure if someone did though, they'd mention it in here. I actually got the idea a few weeks ago when out of the blue Mcroa7 sent me a copy of Potty Pigeon for my Commodore 64. It was one hell of a nice gesture and I thought it might be something others would want to give a shot on.

Positive feedback from where? Because I have an ebay account with 100% pos feedback and 50+ ref, but thats all I have to represent myself =(

Same here. I have %100 pos feedback on eBay, but I've only traded once here, and that was before the new feedback system was introduced.

sounds good, but I think people would be more up to it if the games were from their trade list. also, maybe only for people who've been on CAG for at least a year? whatever...

Well..if we wanted it to be a secret santa..it'd have to be random..I'm sure Cheapy could take care of that...

I say we select who gets in on it based on post count and time here.

Of course, the requirement to get a present is to send a present, so perhaps we should organize it so that we all ship the same [say, first class with delivery confirmation] and can provide our tracking numbers..

And I'm sure on the "application", the person could list their name, a game they really like, and their two most used consoles...that way I'm sure we'd come up with "right" present

The management of addresses should be easy enough, everyone gets a member randomly and they get an email with their address and their base info [name, favorite game, two most used consoles]

So I think it'd be a cute idea, if someone doesn't feel comfortable giving their addresses, maybe a small gift card [$5?] or some itunes downloads or something like a good coupon should be enough..

How would people get the others person address? If they ask for it, it wont be much of a secret. Or do we all make a post saying we are in with our address on it?

This being cheap ass gamer, I'd expect to get a 48 Gold Trial for 360.
Nice idea, but its just not for me.

I think it should be people with positive feedback (iTrader), no offense to those who dont' have any, I'd just be afraid of being burned

The only problem I see, is that the people would get stuck getting a present that they already have.
I think they should post their collections to make sure that doesn't happen.

[quote name='SeventhSense']Should OP make rules for who is eligible to do this and how its going to be done?[/quote]

Not really, as I've already stated that this was just an idea I wanted feedback on and that if someone wants to take the idea and run with it, I'd be all for it.

Another suggestion:

Instead of a Secret Santa, wouldn't a simpler, less "obligated" way to do it be a Wish-List route? Anyone who wants something can post a wish-list, and anyone sees something they can fulfill and they feel like doing it can it do so? No strings, and with no expectation of something in return. If you see something you can give, and it's in you to do it, then make it so. This way, nobody feels like they're being put-out, and you're heading off the whole organizational aspect of it, along with the complaints that are sure to follow when someone doesn't send their end of the deal.

Count me in if someone gets it going.
People should just send whatever. Not just games, a game complicates things. You could send a movie, maybe some cool pre order bonus, poster, toys, whatever.

Its a good idea. I'm new and have no feedback so i doubt i will be in but if you need any help putting it on i will. I don't have a huge amount of time so i don't think i could be in charge, but i could definately help.

I participated in last year's Secret Santa on Digital Press, and the way it was done is that the participants would post their address, a collection list and a wanted list in an e-mail to the mods. They were also strictly told to keep it reasonable for both parties (i.e. don't put Radiant Silvergun or a PS3 on your wishlist).

Last year, I sent off RE2 Dual Shock version non-GH, Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario 64, and had gotten DOA2, Bomberman Online, a Gameshark CDX, a VMU, and a Memory Card 251.

If Cheapy or another of the CAG leaders approves this, count me in.

I think this would be a cool idea. Obviously, there would need to be one or more people to shepherd the process (collect info, match people up, etc.).

Here are some suggestions: Set limits on the gifts (e.g., gift giver paid between $5-15--we are CAGers after all), have some form of wish list (not too limiting, though, so it doesn't become a chore), and have some form of accountability (first class with delivery confirmation is a great suggestion).

Whoever is managing the process could set up and post a listing of the wish lists (replacing user names with anonymous identifiers), and people could take someone on a first-come, first-served basis (e-mailing the list keeper to get the username and address). At the end of a certain period of time, people would be assigned randomly if they haven't been selected. Everyone would send out gifts by a certain date (December 15 or so?) and e-mail the list keepers with the delivery confirmation #.

These are just off the top of my head, so feel free to accept, reject, modify, etc.

EDIT: I see that a few of these suggestions are similar to Sailorneorune's...

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Another suggestion:

Instead of a Secret Santa, wouldn't a simpler, less "obligated" way to do it be a Wish-List route? Anyone who wants something can post a wish-list, and anyone sees something they can fulfill and they feel like doing it can it do so? No strings, and with no expectation of something in return. If you see something you can give, and it's in you to do it, then make it so. This way, nobody feels like they're being put-out, and you're heading off the whole organizational aspect of it, along with the complaints that are sure to follow when someone doesn't send their end of the deal.[/QUOTE]

This is the best way to do it.

@ goldbean - none of those ideas were mine... just noting that the rules the DP Secret Santa went by worked out well for the most part, and a similar set of guidelines may work out for CAG.

Whichever way it works out, I hope to participate in order to give a little something back to the Cheap Ass Community we all know and love.

- Sailorneorune, fighting for love, justice, and cheap games

I'd go for it, however it's set up. The only problem I see with just a wish list is that one person could get like 5 things depending on how much they want ya know? There wouldn't be equal reciprocation in something like that, there has to be a give-1-get-1 limit or something like that to make it equal for everybody.

If anyone starts this I'd be interested, I think goldbean's/sailorneorune's suggestion work well. Then having a "matchmaker" tie up any loose givers/getters would work. I've got some games I'd be willing to give out. Assuming you can get a moderator to help out too.

I would be more then happy to run the secret Santa. We could do it to where everyone wants to join has a cutoff date like December 1st-5th something like that. Send an email with your contact info, and wishlist nothing over $20.
New people or people that don't have a lot of posts have to send first.

If you flake out of a santa trade then the mods will handle it, and I'll try to take care of the person that didn't get anything. Also if your a noob here, and have ebay feedback that could work somewhat as well. But you would still have to send first.

Everyone okay with this? I could post my email addy then send your contact info, wishlist, and a link to your profile here. We would have to get the ball rolling on this soon though, and I could always start a new thread that we could asked to get stickied.

Or like WSB said eariler lets say you want to send something, and not get anything back. Just contact me and say your only doing it for the wishlist aspect, and not for the Secret santa.

[quote name='CitizenB']I would be more then happy to run the secret Santa. We could do it to where everyone wants to join has a cutoff date like December 1st-5th something like that. Send an email with your contact info, and wishlist nothing over $20.
New people or people that don't have a lot of posts have to send first.

If you flake out of a santa trade then the mods will handle it, and I'll try to take care of the person that didn't get anything. Also if your a noob here, and have ebay feedback that could work somewhat as well. But you would still have to send first.

Everyone okay with this? I could post my email addy then send your contact info, wishlist, and a link to your profile here. We would have to get the ball rolling on this soon though, and I could always start a new thread that we could asked to get stickied.[/quote]

On another forum I do Secret Santa on, anyone who flakes out on the Secret Santa after agreeing to do it gets perma-banned.

I am a trading newb here (ebay feedback though) and am interested. I'll keep watching and if this gets off the ground I'd be interested in joining in.

I was thinking also everything would ship 1st class mail with Delivery conformation. I've set up a gmail account. I have one question where would this be best posted? off-topic, other deals? I'll set it up I more then happy to. Just asking where should it go cause I don't really know would this really fall under the free stuff and contests?

After you ship the item you send me the DC numbers. I wait until tomorrow/later tonight to start this. I would like to hear more suggestions, and rules you guys think I should implement.

This sounds fun, but I'm not sure I like the list idea (need more info.) Whoever ends up doing this should put up some clear rules and whoever doesn't send gets an IP ban. I'm game for whatever the rules end up being though.

CitizenB I like you DC number idea but it sounds like it is going to be tons of work for you.

The trading forum seems like it would be the best place for it to be posted.

[quote name='spoo']This sounds fun, but I'm not sure I like the list idea (need more info.) Whoever ends up doing this should put up some clear rules and whoever doesn't send gets an IP ban. I'm game for whatever the rules end up being though.

CitizenB I like you DC number idea but it sounds like it is going to be tons of work for you.

The trading forum seems like it would be the best place for it to be posted.[/QUOTE]

The DC numbers won't be a problem.
Well I figures the list would work if someone has some stuff that they don't want to sell, and rather give away (i.e. old gaming figures, older common games etc.) They could just send it to someone on the list as long as they contact me. I'm working a rough draft for the rules right now.

[quote name='spoo']This sounds fun, but I'm not sure I like the list idea (need more info.) Whoever ends up doing this should put up some clear rules and whoever doesn't send gets an IP ban. I'm game for whatever the rules end up being though.

The trading forum seems like it would be the best place for it to be posted.[/QUOTE]

the dc numbers wouldnt be that hard. all you would need is an MSFT access that can keep track of each thing

you would just make 4 or 5 groups

Sender name , person who gets it, Item sent , DC number

so it would be simple to keep straight. would be a pain in the ass if the program got messed up though lol

i do see a problem with a want list though

someone could post i want ADVANCE WARS DS. Someplaces this was 7.50 while others the cheapest it ever went was 20

so i can see a problem there

[quote name='slidecage']the dc numbers wouldnt be that hard. all you would need is an MSFT access that can keep track of each thing
you would just make 4 or 5 groups
Sender name , person who gets it, Item sent , DC number
so it would be simple to keep straight. would be a pain in the ass if the program got messed up though lol
i do see a problem with a want list though
someone could post i want ADVANCE WARS DS. Someplaces this was 7.50 while others the cheapest it ever went was 20
so i can see a problem there[/QUOTE]

I could fix the rules to say one item not more then $20. I think thats one thing we should agree on. I have some of it typed up I'll wait till tomorrow morning to post it in the trading forum. I want more ideas/suggestions before I finalize this.

here is what I have in the rules so far, I know more needs to be added, and something changed but this is a rough draft. Feel free to add comment suggestions.

Cheap Ass Gamer secret Santa
Deadline to join is December 5th

1.Email me at [email protected] with your wishlist, Contact info, and a link to your profile page at CAG.com
2.Item(s) shouldn't cost more then $20 total
3.Items should be sent 1st class mail. unless its to large then it should be sent Priority mail, or parcel post. (needs refined)
4.New member and people with little feedback send first. (need to work out the details on noobs). After mailing item email/pm me the DC numbers. I will contact the other member and tell them to send out your package.
5.All items must be sent by December 15th.
6.If your just fulfilling a wishlist item let me know in your email.

[quote name='CitizenB']I could fix the rules to say one item not more then $20. I think thats one thing we should agree on. I have some of it typed up I'll wait till tomorrow morning to post it in the trading forum. I want more ideas/suggestions before I finalize this.

here is what I have in the rules so far, I know more needs to be added, and something changed but this is a rough draft. Feel free to add comment suggestions.

Cheap Ass Gamer secret Santa
Deadline to join is December 5th

1.Email me at [email protected] with your wishlist, Contact info, and a link to your profile page at CAG.com
2.Item(s) shouldn't cost more then $20 total
3.Items should be sent 1st class mail. unless its to large then it should be sent Priority mail, or parcel post. (needs refined)
4.New member and people with little feedback send first. (need to work out the details on noobs). After mailing item email/pm me the DC numbers. I will contact the other member and tell them to send out your package.
5.All items must be sent by December 15th.
6.If your just fulfilling a wishlist item let me know in your email.
7.[/QUOTE]

i would say items MUST BE sent first class with dc.

also no more then 20 total does that include shipping.

i can just see way too many problems but im probally over thinking it LOL

though i probally give it a shot

but say if this happens

want list

Castlevainia double pack
advance wars DS
advance wars gba sealed only

what happens if all 3 of those you cant find in your area

I'd be interested in this too :)

I much rather buy for some of you people here then some of the ghetto slobs I work with

[quote name='slidecage']i would say items MUST BE sent first class with dc.

also no more then 20 total does that include shipping.

i can just see way too many problems but im probally over thinking it LOL

though i probally give it a shot[/QUOTE]

Thats why I'm leaving it open for suggestions. I want this to be as communal as possible everyone to be happy. Plus I don't see any problems happening. I don't think someone would join and send something first only to rip off somone.

The other question about the $20 total. Lets say thats without shipping. So how about $25 total. I'm leaving this open so we can get all of the bugs, and loopholes figured out. I want people to make suggestions and tell me where I'm wrong, or could do something better. I want this to go as smoothy as possible, and getting all of the prep work done correctly will be the biggest thing to get it running smoothly.

[quote name='slidecage']
but say if this happens

want list

Castlevainia double pack
advance wars DS
advance wars gba sealed only

what happens if all 3 of those you cant find in your area[/quote]
I would add something generic to your list, in case of something like that.
Like someone could put something like "side-scrolling shooter other than R-Type" or something along those lines. Maybe game-related action figures or something!

Also a suggestion, make it mandatory for people to include the systems they own. That way, if you're paired with someone who has things listed that you can't get a hold of, you can send something out.

Make sure, whomever runs the whole thing, that the Secret Santa for a particular person gets the user's CAG ID-- a great idea would be to research that person's posts to get a better idea of what he/she likes.

I think it might be a good idea to impose a minimum length-of-membership requirement (e.g., CAG for at least 3 or 6 months). I understand not requiring a minimum itrader score or post count (there are lots of valuable members who don't trade through the site or who simply lurk), but having a little bit of a filter should help discourage deadbeats without being too restrictive.

So post your wish list

MichaellvOrtega's wish list

!: Selma Hayek
2: a IOU back rub from the BK King
3: some type of device that keeps the bed sheets on
4: A painting of Cheapy D sitting in a chair staring at the fire place.
5: Lost season1 on DVD
6:assorted weird non-American or Mexican candy
8: I'll take the Ipod ("The office" joke)

[quote name='goldbean']I think it might be a good idea to impose a minimum length-of-membership requirement (e.g., CAG for at least 3 or 6 months). I understand not requiring a minimum itrader score or post count (there are lots of valuable members who don't trade through the site or who simply lurk), but having a little bit of a filter should help discourage deadbeats without being too restrictive.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back