Just bought a new Micro

Zing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So I snagged a brand new in box Gameboy Micro from Ebay for a decent price. I am about to start digging into the GBA library, starting with Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI. I have a DS Lite, but the thought of lugging around and holding that relatively big system while only using one screen seemed stupid. The Micro seems light and more portable.

Anyway, I get the system, and the box is slightly different than what I expected. It's the same as the images I have seen everywhere, except the box is all cardboard with none of the clear plastic. I also did not get any faceplates, the faceplate tool, and the instruction manual makes absolutely no mention of faceplates at all. My first thought was "wtf did I get some sort of bootleg?" However, everything looks legit from the box to the documentation, and it does appear to be the USA version of the system. I know the Europe edition did not have faceplates.

I have only seen two images online showing this new fully-cardboard box version. The rest are all from around the Micro launch and have the flaming faceplates, etc. I assume it is just Nintendo cutting costs on the later produced systems, but I am not sure. Has anyone else seen this version in stores?

The only ones I had seen at Walmart were the ones that did not have faceplates. I have a black micro and I think it's still a cool little gadget. The DS lite could learn a thing or two from it, like dedicated volume buttons (none of that flimsy slider junk) and the ability to change the brightness while playing.

Thanks for the reassurance. I was fairly sure this was a legit system, but I had never seen this before.

I agree that the volume control is great. The slider on the DS is small and ends up just being either off, really quiet, medium, or max anyway. I still can't believe they made the DS with no way to change brightness while the system is on.

Just another vote of confidence...

I too picked up one of these versions at Walmart. They are indeed legit. Congrats on getting a Micro! It's a great little system, and I carry it around more than my DS thanks to its small size.

[quote name='Zing']S\I am about to start digging into the GBA library, starting with Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI[/quote]

I get the V and VI but IV?

[quote name='laaj']I get the V and VI but IV?[/QUOTE]

You expect me to pass up the best version of one of my favorite childhood games? :)

Screw the DS remake.

I had actually planned on starting Elite Beat Agents on my DS since I just finished Trace Memory, but once I got my micro and loaded up FF4, there was no going back.

[quote name='dizz.lee']how much is a micro at walmart if you can find one?

i'm gonna go get one.[/QUOTE]

My local store has the "20th Anniversay" one for $69, which is well below the original retail of $99 for this particular one. Personally, I think it is fugly, and since I obviously never had the red/gold Famicom as a kid, there is zero sentimental value. It isn't even collectible and is easy to get on Ebay.

The retail price for the normal Micro was $79.

I picked up my GBA Micro (Famicom edition) for $40. That was a day after thanksgiving thing, though. Also Wal-Mart.

In Singapore I saw the Micros with faceplates and they seemed relatively new. But back in the states I havnt seen any. As the others have said mainly only without faceplates.

I originally purchased a silver GBMicro a long time ago and it came in the old style box with the plastic window. It had the extra faceplates and changing tool. I returned it a few days later instead ordering a Famicom edition from online. It came in a cardboard box with no plastic window, and it did not come with any faceplates. But I'm not sure if any famicom edition GBMicro came with extra faceplates.

Anyhow I ordered a spare famicom faceplate from nintendo's online store just in case mine got scratched up or beat up and it came with the changing tool. So now I have the changing tool and a spare faceplate if I need it.

The GBMicro is IMO a great little system. It's really compact and light, and has great battery life. I'm glad I have one even though I have a DS and Gameboy Player too.

Ruahrc

In case anyone cares, I found the perfect earbuds to use with the Micro: Sennheiser MX 560. They match the physical look of the silver/black (or black/silver) system perfectly. They are above average quality, not as good as headphones for CD music, but for the GBA sounds they are perfect. They come with a small cord winder and a soft carrying case, which makes them extremely portable and none of that cord tangle mess you inevitably get with earbuds. The cost for these earbuds was $30 retail around here, but you can find them for less.

[quote name='Ruahrc']It's really compact and light, and has great battery life. I'm glad I have one even though I have a DS and Gameboy Player too.[/QUOTE]
One thing that bothers me about the DS is that when I lie in bed or on the couch, and I am holding up the DS for a long time, my arms actually get tired due to the weight. The Micro is light enough that this is not an issue.

It's pretty neat playing through Final Fantasy IV and not remembering any of it even though I played through the game 4 times back in the day. I did notice a little bit of slowdown while the airships are flying and I have had exactly once instance of the bug where one of my characters got to immediately take two turns in a row.

It may depend on which type of games you play. So far I have only tried FF4 and Superstar Saga and it is fine. Compared to playing these games on the DS, yes the screen seems small. However, the extremely tight pixel density makes everything razor sharp. The DS also scales the image, apparently by some crappy pixel doubling method, since it has the telltale flickering of lines when the game image scrolls. The Micro (and probably the SP, I have never tried one) are 1:1 and the image is rock-solid even while scrolling. Also, motion blur is almost non-existent.

I admit that they probably should have just kept it with a 2.5" screen and made the system insignificatnly larger in each dimension.

[quote name='Zing']It's pretty neat playing through Final Fantasy IV and not remembering any of it even though I played through the game 4 times back in the day. I did notice a little bit of slowdown while the airships are flying and I have had exactly once instance of the bug where one of my characters got to immediately take two turns in a row.[/quote]

Just wait til you get to FFVI. All the airship travel is slowed down, it more or less made me stop playing. I'll probably go back eventually, but it was pretty bad.

bread's done
Back