Just bought (and ruined) a 1600 point card

TheBlueWizard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I stopped by EB Games today to pick up a point card in anticipation of SotN and its ruined. I went to scratch off the shit covering the number and the coin took off 15 of the 25 characters underneath before I realized what happened (that's what I get for scratching the card and looking at the TV at the same time).

$20 down the fucking drain. I have never seen anything like this happen before...I don't understand it. It looks like the coin took off the layer covering the number and the number itself. Cheap shit from M$.

Damn.

On the plus side the girl at EB sold me an Oblivion Guide for $.01 since they have the new ones now. I already had one, but I wasn't going to pass on another one for $.01.

Damn, stupid point card.

TBW

UPDATE - Tuesday

So my wife volunteered to take the card back to EB since she works at the "mall" (and I use that term loosely) where the store is. They tell her that they are NOT supposed to take them back in this condition, but since its me, they take the card back. As an added service, they open the card up and scratch off the numbers themselves so that I don't screw up another one. Since I really, really hate opening the blister packs, that's a great deal...even though the store manager obviously didn't believe that I ruined the first one.....no excuses this time.

I also got a reply back from M$. They said they couldn't help me over email, but if I called up they might be able to determine the full code based on the first 10 digits and unused codes that started with the 10 digits that I provided. Thanks, but since I got a new one, I'll not be spending tonight on tech support hold.

[quote name='Sporadic']GODDAMN M$!!!11!!1!!!![/quote]

No shit!

I email support and told them that a freaking coin ruined my $20 point card. I said that I wanted to know why the $1 lottery ticket works fine, but the $20 card is shit.

I guess I'll be passing on XBLA this week. M$ doesn't care, they already have my $20. Bastards.

TBW

Uh... Exchange it instead of bitching about it on the Internet?

That's what I did.

I've ruined 2 point cards doing the same thing. NEVER use a coin, use your fingernail and do it lightly.

I also exchanged mine at the store I bought it. Not a big deal, just show them how the code scratched off.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']No shit!

I email support and told them that a freaking coin ruined my $20 point card. I said that I wanted to know why the $1 lottery ticket works fine, but the $20 card is shit.

I guess I'll be passing on XBLA this week. M$ doesn't care, they already have my $20. Bastards.

TBW[/QUOTE]

So since you did not get a response in 20 minutes 'M$' hate you and wants to rape and kill your family?

Goto EB, explain what happened, and ask if they could exchange it. If they can't, CALL MICROSOFT UP AND ASK THEM.

[quote name='LiquidNight']It's not Microsoft's fault...[/QUOTE]

Not true... it happened to me last night as well. And I didn't use a coin.. I used the blunt end of a kitchen knife. The ink is really fucking weak, and rubs off easily. I talked to some outsourced shit in India last night when I called Microsoft, and told them the story (although I knew what the outcome would be, I was shitfaced and in the mood for Lumines). I bought the card with store credit from EB when I picked up God of War II.. after arguing with the guy on the phone, he gave me an RMA # and told me to take it to the retailer with the card. He then said that the retailer would exchange it. I explained to this guy that EB/Gamestop would never take it back or do returns, and he "assured me" that they do it quite often and would have to. I told the guy "you expect a minimum wage GS employee to call you guys, stay on hold for 45 minutes, talk to someone & give them this number, then fax a copy of the card, mail it off, and then give me a new card?" The guy laughed and said it was my only option. I told the guy he was insulting my intelligence, and that I'd like to speak to a supervisor, and said that he'd have one call me back (which of course never happened).

It's an expensive lesson: don't buy MS prepaid cards, as they use shitty ink. It is sad that a crackhead can't scratch the numbers off a lottery ticket, but a $20 card from MS will rub off so easily. It's not an issue of the user scratching off the card, it's an issue of Microsoft using cheap ink.

[quote name='Skylander7']Not true... it happened to me last night as well. And I didn't use a coin.. I used the blunt end of a kitchen knife. The ink is really fucking weak, and rubs off easily. I talked to some outsourced shit in India last night when I called Microsoft, and told them the story (although I knew what the outcome would be, I was shitfaced and in the mood for Lumines). I bought the card with store credit from EB when I picked up God of War II.. after arguing with the guy on the phone, he gave me an RMA # and told me to take it to the retailer with the card. He then said that the retailer would exchange it. I explained to this guy that EB/Gamestop would never take it back or do returns, and he "assured me" that they do it quite often and would have to. I told the guy "you expect a minimum wage GS employee to call you guys, stay on hold for 45 minutes, talk to someone & give them this number, then fax a copy of the card, mail it off, and then give me a new card?" The guy laughed and said it was my only option. I told the guy he was insulting my intelligence, and that I'd like to speak to a supervisor, and said that he'd have one call me back (which of course never happened).

It's an expensive lesson: don't buy MS prepaid cards, as they use shitty ink. It is sad that a crackhead can't scratch the numbers off a lottery ticket, but a $20 card from MS will rub off so easily. It's not an issue of the user scratching off the card, it's an issue of Microsoft using cheap ink.[/QUOTE]

Which is the reason why I don't. I always just use my credit/debit card instead. Its the same price and I don't have to pay tax. Sure I could use a $5 GCC, but my Best Buy has not had them in a year.

[quote name='Skylander7']

It's not an issue of the user scratching off the card, it's an issue of Microsoft using cheap ink.[/QUOTE]How much force do you guys even use? I used a coin and it came out just fine on the card I bought for Worms. No problems whatsoever.
If it was an issue with MS, then it would be happening to most, if not all people who bought a card.

[quote name='LiquidNight']It's not Microsoft's fault...[/quote]

Sure it is, they put out a crappy made card that I guarantee you they specified every detail of the manufacturing on. When was that last time this happened on your $1 scratch ticket?

I'll probably try to take the damn thing back...but still, its a piss poor product on M$'s part. More irritating than its worth.

TBW

[quote name='AshesofWake']any chance you'll part with that second oblivion guide >_<

sorry to hear that though...[/quote]

Probably, what do you have to trade? Its the old one, not the new one with KotN content. Send me a PM or link to your list.

TBW

[quote name='LiquidNight']It's not Microsoft's fault...[/QUOTE]
Yes it is.

I've NEVER had a problem using scratch-cards, except for with MS.

Even the fucking ads I get in the mail "you may have one" shit work fine.

And microsoft not helping out with this shit. fucking pathetic. Terrible customer service at its worst.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']Sure it is, they put out a crappy made card that I guarantee you they specified every detail of the manufacturing on. When was that last time this happened on your $1 scratch ticket?

I'll probably try to take the damn thing back...but still, its a piss poor product on M$'s part. More irritating than its worth.

TBW[/QUOTE]

I would think because the $1 scratchers are on paper and not on plastic.
Then again Ive never purchased those $1 scratchers since I think they are a waste of money.

It can happen to any kind of gift card. I had it happen once to an Old Navy gift card.

Did you try to exchange it at the retailer? Or are you just assuming they won't do it?

[quote name='Stormy151']It can happen to any kind of gift card. I had it happen once to an Old Navy gift card.

Did you try to exchange it at the retailer? Or are you just assuming they won't do it?[/quote]

I haven't tried it yet...I'm one of their best customers (they love me), so if they will do it for anyone, it would be me.

I live 30 minutes from town, so I won't get back until Monday for work.

TBW

You failed when you bought something from EBgames.

Goto Best Buy and use the $5 off coupon next time. If you're going to be on CAG, act like one.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']I haven't tried it yet...I'm one of their best customers (they love me), so if they will do it for anyone, it would be me.

I live 30 minutes from town, so I won't get back until Monday for work.

TBW[/QUOTE]

Why not *gasp* call and ask?

Happened to me. Just really take it back. If you have an old card used with clear showing of the numbers, bring that in and compair it.
Circuit City refunded me with a new one after about like 10 minutes of me getting alittle mad.

I had this same problem once. I spent an hour on the phone with MS and they told me to fax a copy of it in to them. I went through the trouble of faxing it in and never heard back.

Mine was one I got for $5 with a Gears preorder (or should I say T-Shirt), so I couldn't take it back.

Look guys, the trick to it is not to use any hard material to scratch off the card at all.

Use a *soft pencil eraser*. *Gently* rub the coating off and all the letters are in tact and clean. I've done this for many many cards and have not had a single problem.

Good luck on your exchange.

Quit trying to scratch a fucking hole through the card, and this won't happen.

That said, if you can't properly scratch off a points card, you probably shouldn't be trusted with anything more than velcro shoes and a sippy cup anyways.

I have to agree that the ink is pretty weak. I almost scratched my first one away and anyone else would probably have done the same or worse like the OP did. It's just poor printing, but knowing that, I scratched off my second card more cautiously and there was not one tear to the ink.

So just be more carefully next time. The ink IS poorer than most other scratchers, but not so much that you'll screw it up every time. Just be more careful.

[quote name='SaMiDaDrAgOn']You failed when you bought something from EBgames.

Goto Best Buy and use the $5 off coupon next time. If you're going to be on CAG, act like one.[/quote]

And since I live in the middle of nowhere in New Hampshire, I would have to spend well over an hour driving each way to even get to a Best Buy. That would cost me more than $5 in gas, so that's not an option.

Besides, my EB kicks ass. I was in the store one day when they were training a new employee and the manager told the new guy who I was and said that if the store only got 1 of an item, I always had first crack at it. There are some locations out there that are awesome, and mine happens to be one of them.

TBW

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']I stopped by EB Games today to pick up a point card in anticipation of SotN and its ruined. I went to scratch off the shit covering the number and the coin took off 15 of the 25 characters underneath before I realized what happened (that's what I get for scratching the card and looking at the TV at the same time).

$20 down the fucking drain. I have never seen anything like this happen before...I don't understand it. It looks like the coin took off the layer covering the number and the number itself. Cheap shit from M$.

Damn.

On the plus side the girl at EB sold me an Oblivion Guide for $.01 since they have the new ones now. I already had one, but I wasn't going to pass on another one for $.01.

Damn, stupid point card.

TBW[/quote]

That's not funny man. My hamster died that way.

I accidentally did this last week- cut open the package, and with scissors in hand, was too lazy to use a coin. I took it back to BB and they replaced it no problem.

Not that it will help you now, but Wal-Mart has new Sub cards and points cards that activate through the register. I haven't examined them closly, but they appear to have a heavy piece of plastic "guarding" the numbers on the back that the scratch stuff is adhered to, making it seemingly almost impossible of scratching off the numbers. You'd have to scratch though the scratcher stuff and the heavy plastic to get to the numbers. You might want to check that out in the future.

They are made by the same government contractor who created Gamestop's disappearing ink thermal receipts.

Seriously, this happened to me as well at BB.

This reminds me of the time I tried to dry my car with steel wool. fucking Ford not making their paint stronger to stand up to steel wool.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']OH SHIT SON![/QUOTE]

Atleast you didn't try to make love to battery acid like my friend did. M$ told him too!

I did that a couple of days ago actually and was seriously pissed off. I really wanted TMNT, and was shit out of luck. But I got a 200 Point card from maccabee72 here on CAG and bought it, and the very next day I won a free 1600 Point card, so I consider it as a gain of 200 points, lol.

I didn't read any responses, but...

I don't get why EB/GS would let you return it? Say I scratch the point card gently and acquire my points, than rub the shit out of it with a coin and then return it. They couldn't tell the difference and I'd get 3200 points for the price of 1600.

[quote name='xbox_mole']Not that it will help you now, but Wal-Mart has new Sub cards and points cards that activate through the register. I haven't examined them closly, but they appear to have a heavy piece of plastic "guarding" the numbers on the back that the scratch stuff is adhered to, making it seemingly almost impossible of scratching off the numbers. You'd have to scratch though the scratcher stuff and the heavy plastic to get to the numbers. You might want to check that out in the future.[/QUOTE]

QFMFT. You can also scratch it off at the register and not have to go through a barrel's worth of oil to get to the card. Just got one from there yesterday.

$5 savings from BB isn't worth the aggravation of possibly having a card be bad.

bread's done
Back