Just bought Wii at Sears and they forced two games on me

P dad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Just bought Wii at Sears and they told me I had to buy two games to buy it...Is that legal??????????
What do you think??

Why, not? They are separate items on the receipt and it doesn't say they are part of the (Wii) package deal or something, right?

Why, not? They are separate items on the receipt and it doesn't say they are part of the (Wii) package deal or something, right?

at the sears i've checked that had only 2 wii's, you had to purchase them with 2 games or a game and accessory.

It's as legal as bundles and everything else you see... why do people complain so damn much thinking anything they don't want to do is illegal... the world doesn't revolve around you....

If they did not advertise the wii then it may not fall under bait and switch. Because it is there product and they can sell it however they want (even if it is wrong). But if they advertised or led you to reserve it under false pretenses (sp) then it falls under bait and switch.

[quote name='P dad']Just bought Wii at Sears and they told me I had to buy two games to buy it...Is that legal??????????
What do you think??[/quote]

had to buy? how did the conversation go specifically?

There was a sign at mine stating that you had to buy a bundle because there was such a limited quantity shipped to them

At least yours had some, my girl was first in line after we struck out everywhere else and then they told her they weren't even going to carry it there. You can return those games and get your money back, I don't have a system or games.

Unless they advertised the wii alone it's not illegal. A store can sell anything however they want. They can even raise the price as long as it is clear and they don't advertise otherwise.

If there's an ad that just shows the wii for $249.99 and doesn't say you need to buy two games, then it is illegal and you should file a complaint after returning the games.

People just assume the law provides protection for anything they don't want to do. There is no such thing as a universal "bait and switch" law. There is no law saying that if they advertise a wii alone they have to sell it alone.

People need to get over themselves and the idea that the laws are there so they can get their way 100%.

I would love nothing more than to see a clueless CAGer call the police and say "Hey, they won't sell me the Wii alone"

Sure there are some consumer protection laws out there, but they do not get as minute as telling stores what they can and can't do.

Matter fact the only thing keeping retailers from price gouging themselves is contracts they sign with Nintendo and Sony...

If you want to make an argument about what is and isn't fair (And the only time I would see a meager 2 game bundle unfair is if you were too poor to get both games) then that's fine, but don't bring in any imaginary laws or make crap up.

What two games did you have to buy? If I was "Forced" to buy say... Zelda and Excite Truck for example, I wouldn't be complaining too much. If I was forced to buy say... Spongebob Squarepants and some other worthless game, then maybe I could see your point.

When I bought my 360 at Best Buy, I was forced to buy two games.... and an extra controller.... and two memory kits.... and an extended warranty for the game and controller... and two worthless accessories since they were sold out of Play and charge kits all totalling about $800. Trust me, I would have been DELIGHTED if all they had stuck me with buying was two games. Oh yeah and by the way, I know I wasn't "Forced" to buy anything, but I had been standing out in the cold for 3 hours, and I'll be damned if I was going to walk out empty handed by that point.

I also remember going by a KB Toys when PSP came out and they were doing similar crap with "Limited quantities of PSP" and they were selling a bundle of crappy games. I usually don't mind a modest bundle as long as I am allowed to pick out the games.

The problem with these bundles is that even if you were going to buy the 2 games, a lot of people from this site like to look for the best deal. If I was getting the Wii at launch I would buy the system wherever I can find it and then either have done that TRU deal ($30 off 3 games and $30 off $150 purchase) or went to BB and used my Best Buy Bucks. Paying $49.99 a Wii game is of course not the greatest deal and is required in these bundles.

I was forced to buy Red Steel and Rayman... The only game I want now is Zelda.
Thanks for all the comments...I don't know if they had an Ad for just the Wii or not....

Forcing? The made you take out you're credit card and buy the system and 2 games? Or you just CHOSE to buy it there since it was soldout everywhere?

As far as I know all sears/kmarts made you because they had such limited amounts. And they really did not "force" you to, you could have just walked away.....

Why complain about this? They posted a sign that you had to buy 2 games or 1 game+1 accessory. If you don't like bundles, simply don't buy them, nobody is forcing you.

[quote name='gokou36']Why complain about this? They posted a sign that you had to buy 2 games or 1 game+1 accessory. If you don't like bundles, simply don't buy them, nobody is forcing you.[/QUOTE]

He thought Wii would be widley available like some people on this board...walk into just about any store and grab it. He was wrong. You were going to buy ATLEAST 1 game with it so it shouldn't matter.

[quote name='gizmogc']He thought Wii would be widley available like some people on this board...walk into just about any store and grab it. He was wrong.[/QUOTE]

And that is HUGELY Nintendo's fauly since they gave that impression to everyone.

(And for the record for those who do not know me I'm a damn hardcore Nintendo fanboy but even I can admit they do make mistakes... Virtual Boy anyone lol)

[quote name='Demolition Man']And that is HUGELY Nintendo's fauly since they gave that impression to everyone.

(And for the record for those who do not know me I'm a damn hardcore Nintendo fanboy but even I can admit they do make mistakes... Virtual Boy anyone lol)[/QUOTE]

They shipped a ton of systems. Its not their fault. Its not like stores only recieved 5-10 systems (like Sony) most got over 50. Just ignorant people.

[quote name='gizmogc']They shipped a ton of systems. Its not their fault. Its not like stores only recieved 5-10 systems (like Sony) most got over 50. Just ignorant people.[/QUOTE]

That is true but around here its very hard to find one. I've had a number of people state to me that "Nintendo said it would be easy to find" as well. Oh well... at least its not being scalped like crazy on eBay as the PS3 is. ;)

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']It's as legal as bundles and everything else you see... [/QUOTE]
Most of what you see is legal; some is not. Please don't generalize.
[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']why do people complain so damn much thinking anything they don't want to do is illegal...[?][/quote]
Your claim is a generalization. Most people complain sometimes; the frequency and reasons vary.
[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']the world doesn't revolve around you....[/QUOTE]
The world doesn't revolve around anybody specific. Does that mean nobody should be allowed to point out unfair, deceptive and illegal practices?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']People just assume the law provides protection for anything they don't want to do. There is no such thing as a universal "bait and switch" law. There is no law saying that if they advertise a wii alone they have to sell it alone. [/quote]
You just assume the law does not provide protection. It seems to me that it does (but I am not a lawyer, although I would love to hear from one on this matter). No law is "universal"; in the states, there are state and federal laws that protect consumers.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']People need to get over themselves and the idea that the laws are there so they can get their way 100%.[/quote]
You need to get over the idea that the law never affords consumers any kind of protection.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I would love nothing more than to see a clueless CAGer call the police and say "Hey, they won't sell me the Wii alone"[/quote]
This is a civil, not a criminal matter; it's not a matter for the police.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Sure there are some consumer protection laws out there, but they do not get as minute as telling stores what they can and can't do.[/quote]
In fact, they do.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Matter fact the only thing keeping retailers from price gouging themselves is contracts they sign with Nintendo and Sony...[/quote]
They may charge above MSRP legally (as far as I know; again, I am not a lawyer) but this would aggrevate both consumers and manufacturers; it is not a good long term strategy.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']If you want to make an argument about what is and isn't fair (And the only time I would see a meager 2 game bundle unfair is if you were too poor to get both games) then that's fine, but don't bring in any imaginary laws or make crap up.[/QUOTE]

Well then, don't take out any actual laws. Or, indeed, make crap up, as you so eloquently put it.

[quote name='gizmogc']Forcing? The made you take out you're credit card and buy the system and 2 games? Or you just CHOSE to buy it there since it was soldout everywhere?[/QUOTE]

If you're going to insist on proper language usage (in this case, the meaning of 'forcing'; we all know what the OP meant) please make sure to double-check "you're" grammar.

bread's done
Back