Just got HL2...any way to get the other Source material? (Impressions included)

The riverbed race chapter was shaq-fuing brilliant, not a dull moment, and had some great puzzles and action.

I have never felt that sense of action. I felt it with 007 EoN with the motorcycle/car level.. but not to this degree. That was so fucking awesome.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='Peacec']Just beat the game. It was freaking awesome.[/quote]

How short was this game??[/quote]

^ Halo fanboy trying desperatly to find a new attack point.

[quote name='Quackzilla'][quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='Peacec']Just beat the game. It was freaking awesome.[/quote]

How short was this game??[/quote]

^ Halo fanboy trying desperatly to find a new attack point.[/quote]

Quack, keep your insane, attack bullshit on the VS. board.

[quote name='Scorch']
Also the "computer" sound or whatever someone said when you hit the use button is the exact same sound for HL1.. you guys cannot find any faults with the game, so you're criticizing it for loading? Geez. [/quote]

I agree, Scrubking I think you are really reaching to find something wrong with this game. You have blinded yourself to any good points and attacked things like loading or game length. As some others have already explained, it is absurd to expect no loading, especially with huge amounts of textures (I'm guessing) that must be loaded. Hard drives do not make load times nonexistent.

Scrubking I think you are really reaching to find something wrong with this game.

No, the problem is that the hype over this game is making people attack me for making general statements. I talk about pc load times and somehow people equate that to TEh HalF-LiFE SucKzorZ11!!!

And although I keep getting less and less impressed the more I hear about the game, I never said it was bad or that it sucked.

Hard drives do not make load times nonexistent.

For the last time. My point is that PC load times should not be equal with console load times. Until recenlty pc load times have been miniscule compared to a console. I see this shift to longer load times as largely unnecessary and bad for pc games.

No, the problem is that the hype over this game is making people attack me for making general statements. I talk about pc load times and somehow people equate that to TEh HalF-LiFE SucKzorZ11!!!

And although I keep getting less and less impressed the more I hear about the game, I never said it was bad or that it sucked.

I don't understand how you're bashing the load time in this when nearly every game has load time. To want a game with no load time is asinine - go play SNES for your no load times.

For the last time. My point is that PC load times should not be equal with console load times. Until recenlty pc load times have been miniscule compared to a console. I see this shift to longer load times as largely unnecessary and bad for pc games.

And who said they're equal with console load times? This isn't on a console. A 20 to 30 second load on my cheap low-end system sounds good to me. PC load times haven't been "miniscule" in recent history. Call of Duty, Medal of Honor.. hell, Postal 2 had a 90 second load time between spots until it was patched, but even then, it was a good 30 second load. The problem is YOU, you're just an impatient I-don't-know-what and you need to get off of the idea of no load times and get used to the loading.

I understand what you mean. I hate dealing with load times on the PC. I have not played HL2 yet, but load times should be minimal on the PC. I will take a hit in graphics to have a quick loading game

Part of the reason I hate PC franchises going to consoles (DX I am looking in your direction)

[quote name='Scrubking']
Have you never played PC games in your life? Load times exist.

Yes, in poorly coded games. Load times should not exist in pc games to the degree where you get a loading message.

And I have been playing pc games since DOS so shut your mouth please.

It's really that big of a deal to you?

It should be a big deal to everyone. PC's are NOT consoles so games on a pc shouldn't resemble them ie load times and load messages.

And I can understand how many of you don't have a clue since you probably are not into pc gaming, but you need to realize that just cause consoles have load times doesn't mean that it's okay for pc's to have them as well.[/quote]

The maps are 8 times bigger than a normal console game, at least 3 times on Halo 2....because unlike Halo2...they're not fake open areas. Half Life 2 isnt the PERFECT game. It may never be...but the ground it treads on is new. And because of that its a problem. They may say HL2 will be on the Xbox...but trust me, it wont. I've seen some Xbox inner workings...and the Xbox couldnt run it. The physics take an immence amount of processing power....Personally, I dont think anyone will truely play HL2 the way it should be played until at least a year from now. That may suck, and thats why I play mostly Console games. But this game is a trendsetter...in just about everything. *except AI....its good...but not revolutionary....about Halo 2 good. Which isnt great.

But really people...in your defense Scrubking...Load times DO matter. They pull you out of the game. And that should never happen. But we're in a weird spot in technology. The software is moving faster than the hardware and the hardware is moving too fast on its own.

People are still making magic on the Xbox after 3-4 years, while on the PC the magic is much more revolutionary...but unfortunatly you have to pay more to experience it and you deal with alot of odd issues. Not everyone can afford a X800 and have the patience to deal with PC crap. I myself cringe at times....(You dont want to know how many times I've told myself, "This is the last PC game I'll ever buy")

Load times suck, but on a revolutionary game like HL2. You have to expect it...Being a PC gamer is like paying to be a beta tester. It sucks to have glitches and problems. But at least your one of the first to experience an amazing work of art. You just have to deal sometimes.... ;-)

Flame suit ready. :)

[quote name='Mookyjooky']But really people...in your defense Scrubking...Load times DO matter. They pull you out of the game. And that should never happen. But we're in a weird spot in technology. The software is moving faster than the hardware and the hardware is moving too fast on its own.

People are still making magic on the Xbox after 3-4 years, while on the PC the magic is much more revolutionary...but unfortunatly you have to pay more to experience it and you deal with alot of odd issues. Not everyone can afford a X800 and have the patience to deal with PC crap. I myself cringe at times....(You dont want to know how many times I've told myself, "This is the last PC game I'll ever buy")

Load times suck, but on a revolutionary game like HL2. You have to expect it...Being a PC gamer is like paying to be a beta tester. It sucks to have glitches and problems. But at least your one of the first to experience an amazing work of art. You just have to deal sometimes.... ;-)

Flame suit ready. :)[/quote]
I actually like the load times. It gives me time to stand up and stretch.

Maybe it's just me, but could we keep the screenshots to a minimum? I've yet to fully make my way through the game and I'd like to experience and be wowed by the levels when I see them firsthand.

But if that's what the rest of the community wants, so be it. Doesn't really matter either way.

Oh, and Scorch, should I make this one the HL2 Discussion Thread? I can edit the title if you want.

Could someone explain Steam to me? Specifically, what's the deal with that program booting up whenever I want to play HL2 and the window that says "Preparing to Play Half-Life 2".

I'm just looking to learn about something I don't know a thing about. Is the game not pnysically installed on my computer or does it have to unlock it through Steam everytime for security purposes? Just an ignorant fool looking for answers.

Also, is this Steam program that runs very processor/memory intensive? Will HL2 not function if I disable it or will it automatically launch when HL2 launches?

Thanks for the help.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Could someone explain Steam to me? Specifically, what's the deal with that program booting up whenever I want to play HL2 and the window that says "Preparing to Play Half-Life 2".

I'm just looking to learn about something I don't know a thing about. Is the game not pnysically installed on my computer or does it have to unlock it through Steam everytime for security purposes? Just an ignorant fool looking for answers.

Also, is this Steam program that runs very processor/memory intensive? Will HL2 not function if I disable it or will it automatically launch when HL2 launches?

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

The way I understand it is that Steam is married to HL2. You can't touch HL2 without steams permission and knowledge.

To be able to play the game without internet acces you NEED internet access so that steam can download special software for you to do so.

So you have 2 choices: learn to love steam or get the crack.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Could someone explain Steam to me? Specifically, what's the deal with that program booting up whenever I want to play HL2 and the window that says "Preparing to Play Half-Life 2".

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Once you've gone through the full registration process, you can play HL2 offline, with no problems.

Steam's loader will, um, load everytime when you open HL2. Annoying, but that in and of itself is not a memory hog.

I have no idea why everyone is being nitpicky about load times. Doom 3 has load times between levels. pretty long load times yet you heard nothing about it. Nearly every PC game, shooter or not, has load times between levels.

HL2 makes this as seamless as possible, like the origional HL. I haven't played it yet (got it yesterday) but as long as it's a couple seconds and doesn';t take you out of the action I have no problems with a little lag time.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I have no idea why everyone is being nitpicky about load times. Doom 3 has load times between levels. pretty long load times yet you heard nothing about it. Nearly every PC game, shooter or not, has load times between levels.

HL2 makes this as seamless as possible, like the origional HL. I haven't played it yet (got it yesterday) but as long as it's a couple seconds and doesn';t take you out of the action I have no problems with a little lag time.[/quote]
I'm not one to complain about the lag times as I realize it's the constraints of hardware that forces them. However, the load times aren't what I'd call seamless in this game. Quite a few of them occur mid-action.

Now, with the large game world presented, I realize it's near impossible to find a suitable spot to load. If anything, it's a testament to the game's playability that I hate having to wait since I'm anticipating getting right back to it. It's just that, for example, when I'm in the airboat. I'm in the middle of a jump and it freezes to load, it completely takes you out of the game for a moment.

Please read that carefully as it isn't a complaint, but rather a compliment to the game.

I just got my Gold Bonus items today, The gold box is a lot nicer than the retail collectors edition (I'll post pics later), and each of the three posters are full size, not dinky little 8x11. I'm pretty damn satisfied with it all.

bread's done
Back