Just got my 360, is it possible to live on demos for one month?

icecubedx5

CAGiversary!
I'm trying to be a true CAG by living on XBL demos for one month until I have to spend the obscene $60 on Gears of War in November. I figure after GoW, I could live off the single, multi, and co-op for 4 months at least until March and hopefully by then pick up Oblivion for $25 (considering Morrowind dropped in price so fast).

Then I figure Oblivion will last me a good 4 months till July 2007 and by then I could pick up FEAR, Smackdown vs. Raw, Rainbow Six: Vegas, DOA4, and DOAX2 for hopefully $25 ($30 with GGC at BB). Then my only other full price $60 purchase would be Halo 3.

So, can it be done? Or should I take the plunge and spend $60 on Kameo, PD0, and either TR: Legends or PGR3? $20 per 360 game ain't bad.

It can be done, how strong is your will power? I lasted on demos for two weeks when I first got mine, then I ran out and bought Oblivion.

Yeah you can last on some demos and arcade titles for at least gears of wars. And if you really want play somthing just rent something for 7 dollars or whatever cost by you or get a coupon for free rental from somewere.

Congrats on scamming Amazon! Wish I had....

Um, demos kept me busy for a good while. I still have some of them I like to play quite often (Fight Night, DOA4)

If you never had an original Xbox there are a number of super cheap (under $10) games you could pick up and have fun with.

Otherwise, Tomb Raider is $20 and COD 2 is $30 at BB this week.

Dead Rising is lots of fun.

Grab a point card for BB at $15 and get some XBLA games. Join us in some doom or whatever. Get lots of trials first though, so you know what you like.

I bought Zuma and Mutant storm. Cloning Clyde is fun too. Outpost Kaloki isn't for everyone but I know people that swear by it.

[quote name='help1']If you like multiplayer over live, then hell yes.[/quote]

You can play multi-player over Live with game demos? BTW, I already have Gold so I'm good to go.

[quote name='icecubedx5']You can play multi-player over Live with game demos? BTW, I already have Gold so I'm good to go.[/QUOTE]

Some of them, yes. Some demos actually have separate downloads for the multiplayer versions. Off the top of my head, I know you can get battlefield, GRAW, Prey multiplayer demos.

I'd also recommend downloading tons of trailers in HD. Lots and lots of cool content in the 'bringing it home' section right now, just have stuff queued up while you play. Most of that stuff in 'bringing it home' will disappear soon.

Well, I've had the 360 for a few months now and have almost exclusively played demos even though I have a few titles.

My bf on the other hand has put in some 200 hours (literally) on Oblivion alone...so if you pick well, one title can go far. Personally, the title I have played the most is Kameo....but I'm not a first-person shooter or sports guy.

One big way to save cash is to stick with the silver membership after the free trial gold runs out. I had the gold for the month and didn't go online to play even once. I know some people love it, but for a casual gamer like me I just have no desire to go online just to have some serious gamer kick my butt.

That'd be hard as fuck to do IMO. If I saw a really good deal, which is bound to happen, I'd be all "Man, I really could use a second game for this system..." And buy it anyways. Good luck though. I heard the demos can last you awhile.

Demos are boring and Oblivion won't recieve a price drop, since it's releasing on PS3 and PSP in the near-ish future.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Why did you choose an Xbox 360 if you can barely afford to buy any games for it?[/quote]
On the contrary, I have about $270 on a TRU gift card and $200 in GameStop credit. I'm just a cheap ass. :D

For this generation I only plan on making about 5 full price ($60) purchases while the rest of the games will be games purchased on sale or by price drops. Unfortunately 2 out of the 5 are already set in stone, Gears of War and Halo 3, while Mass Effect will most likely take the 3rd spot.

Like I said in the sticky thread, try every demo you possibly can..it is the new Blockbuster for your 360. Plus, you may never think that you'd like a game 'til you give it a try.

[quote name='Brak']Demos are boring and Oblivion won't recieve a price drop, since it's releasing on PS3 and PSP in the near-ish future.[/QUOTE]

For that very reason i think it will see a price drop.

For a whole month? not without some live games.

Hexic, Geomoetry Wars, Street Fighter and demos (highly recommend lost planet!)
should keep you busy for a while.

EB/GS has that deal where you can buy a used game, keep it up to 7 days, and then return it no questions ask for a full refund. Ive been doing this with psp games the past month.

Well I been playing demos all day, and I'm already bored. LOL. Not that the demos are bad. But I don't have all day to play games, my time is valuable. And I'd rather spend 2 hours in a real game, progressing in the storyline and gameplay towards completion of it, rather than waste 2 hours on a few demos that doesn't serve any purpose but give me a taste of the game.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Well I been playing demos all day, and I'm already bored. LOL. Not that the demos are bad. But I don't have all day to play games, my time is valuable. And I'd rather spend 2 hours in a real game, progressing in the storyline and gameplay towards completion of it, rather than waste 2 hours on a few demos that doesn't serve any purpose but give me a taste of the game.[/quote]Then buy a game; problem solved. You got the 360 for $304 or something like that, I don't see why you can't buy one measly game or rent one at the least. As long as you enjoy the game, have fun with it, and it didn't seem like a waste of time to you; then price shouldn't be an issue. It's better to have played a great game and pay full price, then to buy and play a shitload of crappy games. You bought the console for the sole purpose of playing games right? Then put it to use, get off CAG for a while, and enjoy your lucky 360 deal.:cool:

Imo its easily done. There are so many demos to play and if you find a few you like you can play them for a while. It's also good to try them for a while to see if you really can stomach them for a full purchase. Some games I loved at first but then after playing the demo over and over was glad I didnt buy them right off.
BTW grats on your 360 purchase! : )

[quote name='icecubedx5']Well I been playing demos all day, and I'm already bored. LOL. Not that the demos are bad. But I don't have all day to play games, my time is valuable. And I'd rather spend 2 hours in a real game, progressing in the storyline and gameplay towards completion of it, rather than waste 2 hours on a few demos that doesn't serve any purpose but give me a taste of the game.[/QUOTE]

looks like you answered your own question...

UNO and Geometry Wars are fun, but i'dget bored after awhile
Lost Planet is one of the best demos which i play alot

the demos do get repetitive, but i dont have many games either

i did get Lego Star Wars II for the 360 which is fun and have Saints Row on its way. got both for abput $40 each, so those will keep me busy till next month when all those games come out

also with all these deals and clearances you should be able to find some good backards compatible xbox games to keep you busy

Why did you buy a 360 in the first place if you think $60 is way too much for a game? That price point ain't changing anytime soon. And you can find PDZ and Kameo for way less than $60, at pretty much any store that sells 360 games. And I highly doubt that 2 games are gonna keep you occupied until July of 2007.

I picked up perfect dark, Kameo and DOA4 for $30 a piece at my gamestop when I picked up my 360 ended up paying less than the 30 a piece anyway due to the gamers edge card I had so I came out ok on that. Did ok with Rumble Roses to got that for under 40. You can find some fairly inexpensive games right now for the 360 long as you don't feel the need to have more "recent" titles.

Kameo goes for $20 all the time. In fact, it may still be at Circuit City or CompUSA. It's well worth $20.
Plus, a number of the games are made into platinum hits this month.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Kameo goes for $20 all the time. In fact, it may still be at Circuit City or CompUSA. It's well worth $20.
Plus, a number of the games are made into platinum hits this month.[/quote]

For real? Which ones and source? I may have to go out and buy them before they become Platinumized.

plenty of cheap titles, just gotta find them...lately i got the following on the cheap everything new now of course these prices are mostly from COmpusa so its YMMV

$15 or less
Kameo
PGR3
Ridge Racer
NBA Live 06
NHL 2k6
College Hoops 2k6
NBA 2k6
PDZ Limited edition

$20
Tony Hawk

$25-$30
Cabela's Alasken adventure
Farcry
Tomb Raider
Call of Duty 2

and i have seen for $20 but i already had
Gun
Madden 06 (dont have yet but refuse to spend 20 on it;) )
Dynasty Warriors

i know i am missing some but there are tons of games out there that should hold you over without breaking the bank

Yeah I'm contemplating getting PDZ, Kameo, and TR: Legends for a total of $60. AMAZING people bought them for a total of $180 during launch. Ouch.

[quote name='icecubedx5']Yeah I'm contemplating getting PDZ, Kameo, and TR: Legends for a total of $60. AMAZING people bought them for a total of $180 during launch. Ouch.[/QUOTE]

Most games usually do drop price after a year, not sure what is so AMAZING about that.

Rats, I missed that $20 Tomb Raider deal--sold out at both of the two stores in my state. Ah well, might have to settle for GGC or wait for another sale.

Also popped by CC to see if they had any PGR3 in stock to buy now for Sunday's sale (110% diff. sale guarantee), but no luck there either.

If you like used games, I always get stuff off of Half.com. I got Oblivion for $30, Perfect Dark Zero for $15 and Dead Rising for $35. Not too bad considering how broke I am after the 360 purchase.

Yes, it can be done because I actually did this myself until I was able to get a cheap copy of PDZ:CE on here about a month and a half after I got my 360. It all depends on your will power because there will be plenty of demos to try so you could go even longer than a month it needed to.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Condemned under $30[/quote]

if you, care condemned for pc is $29 new, i was hoping to find that one for under 20 though myself.

Yes I'd say.
Lets see: Prey Demo,BFMC Demo, PDZ Demo, Splinter Cell Demo(when it comes outs), and Test Drive Unlimited demo.
That will keep you for a month, and will supply you with great online.

Just rent occasionally from time to time and all will be fine.

I lived off the "Bootleg" Sampler that came with the Sega Saturn for almost three weeks and that only had three demos on it.

bread's done
Back