Just got ripped off by Circuit City!!! - 95th & Quivera

Cheap Frog

CAGiversary!
I picked up Mario Kart & Smash Brothers for $75(buy 1 get 1/2 price) at Circuit City today.

The last 2 hours I had a blast playing Mario Kart and then I decided to play Brawl.

I open up the case and am like WTF??? Where is the manual? Then even worse I look to the right-pane of the case and see a Maxell CDR!!! I just got Scr3wed!!!

Nothing on thee CDR(checked in my pc for some smartass message) and obviously it does not play in the Wii.

I doubt they are gonna believe me...and It sucks that I have to drive back to that city to get my game exchanged.

I can't believe it cause both were sealed!

95th & Quivera - Kansas, City KS if you want to know where

Yeah, I have had it happen before. It really sucks! I always check my disks before leaving the parking lot. Did it have weird shrinkwrap?

Someone must have return scammed it and they just put it back on the sales floor.

I doubt they will believe you. I know I dont.

When you try this little scam on them just say it was missing the disc. That is plausible and actually happens. There is no reason a blank cdr would be in its place. Just a little suggestion;)

[quote name='musha666']I doubt they will believe you. I know I dont.

When you try this little scam on them just say it was missing the disc. That is plausible and actually happens. There is no reason a blank cdr would be in its place. Just a little suggestion;)[/quote]
Good idea. I'll throw the CDR out. The fact that there is a CDR in the case tells me someone at the store did it. I will definitely open the case of the game they give me to see if it happens again.

I had a friend buy a laptop from Sams Club...he gets home and finds a five year old laptop and as like OMG no way are they gonna believe me. But they actually give him a new one...and he demands they open it in front of him and sure enough same story. they opened up five boxes and all of them had crap old laptops in them. I'm sure someone got fired that day.

And yea, i noticed the back of the case had these bubles or waves like someone re-sealed it or something.

I fail to understand why you would automatically assume it was someone at the store. If anything, I'd say it's more plausible that someone bought and returned it that way, but that's just me.

So, really, saying you got 'ripped off by CC' is stretching it a bit, yes?

[quote name='007']I fail to understand why you would automatically assume it was someone at the store. If anything, I'd say it's more plausible that someone bought and returned it that way, but that's just me.

So, really, saying you got 'ripped off by CC' is stretching it a bit, yes?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It could also have been a bad product, where it left the factory without a disc and manual. But considering that both are missing, I'm guessing someone bought it, kept the disc/manual, and stick in a blank CD-R so it sounds like the game's in there, and re-sealed it. I'm guessing it was heat shrunk wrapped.

[quote name='Cheap Frog']Good idea. I'll throw the CDR out. The fact that there is a CDR in the case tells me someone at the store did it. I will definitely open the case of the game they give me to see if it happens again.

I had a friend buy a laptop from Sams Club...he gets home and finds a five year old laptop and as like OMG no way are they gonna believe me. But they actually give him a new one...and he demands they open it in front of him and sure enough same story. they opened up five boxes and all of them had crap old laptops in them. I'm sure someone got fired that day.

And yea, i noticed the back of the case had these bubles or waves like someone re-sealed it or something.[/quote]

hmm..i totally dont believe you

This reminds me of a time I bought Lunar Knights at a Circuit City... By the time I opened it the next day, all it had was the Manual and other DS crap they put with it. The plastic wrap had the white circuit city price sticker... Later that day I went to the Circuit City, told them my problem, and I got another LK and opened it in front of them... just to make sure. Glad the game was inside.

They might believe you. I bought God of War II at CC a while ago and when I opened it there weren't any discs in it. I was worried they weren't going to believe me but the guy just said "Oh, it happens all the time." Which seems weird, but whatever.

It really isn't impossible to do. I have a friend that works at an Independent game store and they have a shrinkwrapping machine and they always use it to re-seal games to keep them in great condition. If someone had access to such a machine then this is very easy to do

[quote name='musha666']I doubt they will believe you. I know I dont.

When you try this little scam on them just say it was missing the disc. That is plausible and actually happens. There is no reason a blank cdr would be in its place. Just a little suggestion;)[/quote]

Um...yes there are reasons why scammers replace discs with blanks/aol discs.

Its a weight/sound issue. Stores that get games back are going to be suspicious. I can easily tell the difference between a case with a disc and without.

I also think its wrong if you to accuse the OP of trying to scam.

Why would I try to scam this store? I am gonna lose money or break even IF they give me the game.

It's almost a waste of my time if they don't give me the game. I live 40 minutes away from the store and now I have had to drive there twice.

I think the shrink-wrap and the actual price sticker looked funny. Either way I am driving over there tonight after work to see if they will give me another copy of the game which I will open right in the store. In fact I will always open games/cds in the store or in my car rather than waiting till I get home from now on.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']You need to call the store and tell them what happened before they open. You also need to leave the CDR in there.[/quote]
OK. I tried calling last night but it was Sunday and they closed early.

I'll try calling again this morning.

Thanks for the info guys. It sucks cause I hate returning exchanging things...and this totally looks like I am a liar.

I'll update the thread after I see them tonight.

I actually believe him becuase this happened to me a year ago at Sam's Club. I bought the latest Burnout game at the time for the 360, it was in a sealed case. I took it hom and threw it onto the wall unit since I was not going to play it right away. A month later, I crack open the plastic and am getting geared up to play the game and I was amazed when the case was empty, no game to be found! I actually went back to Sam's with the recent and basically had to beg to get them to believe me to get a refund!

[quote name='scorpers']I actually believe him becuase this happened to me a year ago at Sam's Club.[/quote]

i did too until the sams club story and FIVE laptop boxes with the wrong merchandise in them

[quote name='Malik112099']i did too until the sams club story and FIVE laptop boxes with the wrong merchandise in them[/quote]
Well the laptop story is one I can't verify, I was not there.

And frankly I don't care if you believe me, I just wanted to see if anyone had this happen before. Apparently, according to other posters in this thread it has.

I also called one of my best friends who manages a Gamestop. He said he has never had this happen in his store in 7 years he has been there, but he has heard of it happening before. He doesn't think it was the store either, but rather someone who "returned" the game and that is why the blank cdr was in the case.

Anyway, I called Circuit City and they said sure, bring it in and they would give me another copy of the the game.

I go to the CC that the OP is talking about. I could tell you many stories about incompetence at that store. Why do I shop there you ask? Because along with the incompetence they also like to give out the $24 gift cards when they make mistakes. All of this is to say that I can see how someone could return a re-shrink-wrapped game at that particular CC store and not raise any eyebrows. In fact, OP, you might want to mention that the game was likely a return so they think to check into that. If you are interested in one humorous story from that store: I was doing a series of rebates that was listed in the weekend flyer to get norton AV cheap. However, 2 of the rebates in the flyer required an original barcode. I went to the store to ask what to do. The response I got was an employee pulling a new product off the shelf, cutting out the barcode and handing it to me so I would have 2 original barcodes. Brilliant.

[quote name='Malik112099']i did too until the sams club story and FIVE laptop boxes with the wrong merchandise in them[/quote]

Doesn't really matter to me whether you believe it happened to me or not. I wasn't being sarcastic by saying that it happened to me. I'm in a position where I can afford to buy as many games as I want so there was no need for me to try and scam Sam's Club out of a copy of game. I've got better things to do than waste time doing stuff like that to make or save 40 bucks. Whether anyone believes the OP or not, stuff like this does happen and when it does, it's a total bummer! There are a ton of wacky people out there and I wouldn't put it past an employee taking a game out and the re-shrinkwrapping it and putting it back on the shelf and then have the buyer go throught hoops to try and explain a story that no one is going to believe. I guess the bottom line is to make sure to open the game before you leave the store to make sure you got what you paid for.

And to top it all off, Circuit City has some of the most incompetent people working for them, not hard to see why they are in trouble and closing down stores! I can go on and on about with stories about trips to Circuit City to buy video games but I wont. I think we all know basically too well how incompetent they are!

Ahhhh yes, lets blame the entire corporation of Circuit City for having the wrong item in a box that could have very well come from the factory like that. Circuit City opens all their games when they get them and reshrink wraps them before selling to make sure the game is in there, so this must be their fault amirite?

"I'm in a position where I can afford to buy as many games as I want so there was no need for me to try and scam Sam's Club out of a copy of game."

So just chalk this one up to experience and not bitch about being riped off if the money isn't an issue. Also, I thought we were talking about circuit city where you got the game from?

[quote name='dmdragon']Ahhhh yes, lets blame the entire corporation of Circuit City for having the wrong item in a box that could have very well come from the factory like that. Circuit City opens all their games when they get them and reshrink wraps them before selling to make sure the game is in there, so this must be their fault amirite?[/quote]

I guess you must be one of the only ones that lives near a Circuit City that has competent staff working in their stores. The Circuit City in my area is pretty much a joke when it comes to buying video games. All I said was is that we live in a crazy world anymore and I wouldn't put it past anyone to try and pull a fast one. You can all go on with your sarcasm about not believing the op but until it happens to you, you won't understand what it's like to bring home a "new" game that you bought only to find the case empty or find a blank cd in there and then have to go back to the store and explain to them that the case was empty and they all look at you like you are lying! Trust me, until it happnes to you, you have no idea what it feels like!

I do buy games from Circuit City, all I'm saying is that they do not have the most competent staff when it comes to video games or competent staff period! I can see why they are closing down stores and basically on the verge of bankruptcy!

Same thing happened to me when i bought Project Sylpheed during the 8.96 sale. maxwell cd r and everything. however it sucked because i really wanted the game and it was the last copy.

[quote name='scorpers']I guess you must be one of the only ones that lives near a Circuit City that has competent staff working in their stores. The Circuit City in my area is pretty much a joke when it comes to buying video games. All I said was is that we live in a crazy world anymore and I wouldn't put it past anyone to try and pull a fast one. You can all go on with your sarcasm about not believing the op but until it happens to you, you won't understand what it's like to bring home a "new" game that you bought only to find the case empty or find a blank cd in there and then have to go back to the store and explain to them that the case was empty and they all look at you like you are lying! Trust me, until it happnes to you, you have no idea what it feels like!

I do buy games from Circuit City, all I'm saying is that they do not have the most competent staff when it comes to video games or competent staff period! I can see why they are closing down stores and basically on the verge of bankruptcy![/QUOTE]

I wasn't replying to you :)

I was replying to the title of the post. "I got ripped off by circuit city"

If I go into a major store, and buy something that is sealed. If it is broken or doesn't work I don't go off on a tangent about how I was "Ripped off by the whole chain of stores". I also never said I didn't believe it. It sure can happen, but blaming an entire company for an incident that is I'm sure very very few and far between is the epitome of stupid. It sucks for sure, but look at it from their point of view. If they believed everyone who came in claiming this, whether it's true or not then they would be out of business, because while the OP may not be out to rip them off, and has a legitimate gripe, there are others who would take every chance to rip that company off until it was out of business.

Imagine if you will. You sell a game on ebay that is brand new. Now this is a rare sealed game that you sold for like 75 dollars. You send to the guy, he says he opened it, and just found a cdr instead of a game. Wouldn't you be suspicious too? You had no way of checked it as it was still sealed, what would make you believe that he was telling the truth. Now you go ahead and refund him not knowing, but you aren't happy about it. Now it happens for the 100th time. Do you still refund people at the expense of making yourself go broke?

Think about it from the other shoe for once

This happens all the time at all the major retailers. I worked at Best Buy for a few years when I was younger and you will not believe all the things that people try to pull off. The "CD swap" is very common and a person working in customer service should be hip to the game. Another one of the theives favortie was to buy hard drives and replace them with used batteries.

[quote name='hardwo0d']This happens all the time at all the major retailers. I worked at Best Buy for a few years when I was younger and you will not believe all the things that people try to pull off. The "CD swap" is very common and a person working in customer service should be hip to the game. Another one of the theives favortie was to buy hard drives and replace them with used batteries.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and those are the people that ruin it for the legitimate people who return. In a perfect world they would believe everyone, but the few that are out to rip them off just make that impossible

They were cool and just gave me a replacement with no hassle! Of course I made them open the copy they were gonna give me in the store so I could verify it had the disc/manual. The manual is huge btw!

I just played it for a few hours and love it!

I just told them the truth, that I opened it and there was no manual and showed them the cdr that was in the case!

Anyways, thanks for the replys.

[quote name='Cheap Frog']They were cool and just gave me a replacement with no hassle! Of course I made them open the copy they were gonna give me in the store so I could verify it had the disc/manual. The manual is huge btw!

I just played it for a few hours and love it!

I just told them the truth, that I opened it and there was no manual and showed them the cdr that was in the case!

Anyways, thanks for the replys.[/quote]

Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy the game.

Hey! I know the OP is lying!! There's no way he could have bought the game without a manual or correct disc....

Because he'd never be able to find an employee to ring him out... :)

I've been to that store... The only CC worse than that one is the one out at 123rd (or so) & Metcalf...

I've given up on them completely, no matter what deal they may throw at me...

[quote name='dmdragon']^

agreed, sounds more like the title should now be "I just got excellent customer service from Circuit City!!!!"[/quote]

Yeah pretty much lol.

Well at least with the open box policy at gamestop you know you are getting the game and not a blank CDR or a burned copy of the game..

[quote name='camoor']CheapFrog, you may want to change the title..[/quote]
I was going to, but when I go to the original post, it does not let me edit the title.

A mod can change it if they would like, because they did give me good customer-service!

:)

[quote name='SaraAB']Well at least with the open box policy at gamestop you know you are getting the game and not a blank CDR or a burned copy of the game..[/QUOTE]

Quality-tested by the GS employees, to boot.

Lol. I go to the same store and frankly I love the store because of their incompetence. Most of my orders I used the pick up in store option and 100% of the time they didn't even do anything with my order and so I always ask for a $24 gift card. I've made of at least $200 worth of free gift cards due to them not processing my order.

[quote name='Spiral']Lol. I go to the same store and frankly I love the store because of their incompetence. Most of my orders I used the pick up in store option and 100% of the time they didn't even do anything with my order and so I always ask for a $24 gift card. I've made of at least $200 worth of free gift cards due to them not processing my order.[/quote]

Tell me how that works... maybe I'll give CC another try... heh

My favorite case of this was back when I worked at sears, guy returns a nintendo 64 game. Okay no big deal, until another customer buys it and immediately returns it. Why you ask? There was no game inside, in its place was nickels and rocks taped together to the exact shape and weight of a nintendo 64 game. It was actually pretty impressive, loss prevention kept it around awhile to show it off.

bread's done
Back