Just got the Open Tray Error and no Warranty left

GaryZero

CAGiversary!
What would you guys do? I guess the obvious answer is I have to buy a new 360 because my system no longer qualifies for the two errors MS covers.

I don't think it's been 3 years on this system from the last red lights but they say it has when I entered the serial number. Only had this unit for 2 years but I think they are basing it off my first unit that died? I guess I thought the three years was reset each time the replacement died?

Would love to just fix the tray but so far nothing has worked. System plays everything on the hard drive so its still working just not the drive.

Going to look but has anyone seen a great deal on a 360 currently?

Thanks,
Gary

UPDATE: I called MS and turns out the website will tell you you're out of warranty while in reality you still have one for the red lights and e74 that gets reset each time your unit is replaced. So while I still have to buy a new one at least when my defective tray unit hits those two free repairs I can replace it. So I'll end up with two systems in the end and MS stills gets more money from me. blah.

I'm going to buy a Arcade unit from Amazon, because they are something like 175.00. Do we know if those meet the safe zone for overheating and getting the three red lights?

Your best bet is to just go to a local store and [if they are locked up] ask to look at the manufacturing dates on the Arcades so you can choose the one you want. If they give you a weird look, just tell them why you're looking for specific dates.

I did this at Walmart when my old system got the Open Tray error and they didn't mind, I just told them I was buying one for sure as long as the manufacturing date met my standards.

Or if your feeling lucky enough to tinker with the xbox and you feel you have nothing to lose, you can do the simple fix for that problem. Its called the "POT Tweak" very simple, you open the 360, open the dvd drive and then tighten/loosen a screw to adjust the amount of voltage, in ohms being sent to the dvd protion of the laser, i have done this fix among many others and can confirm it works.

bread's done
Back