Just had an idea for an FFVIII remake.

Jack-Hunter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
..Imagine Final Fantasy VIII was recreated with current gen graphics and capabilities?

I've seen the subject be discussed for years on end. Some people say the battle system should be kept the same, or that it should be real-time fighting the whole way through like in Kingdom Hearts, etc.

But i've just thought of something that i've never seen be discussed about a remake before.

...Imagine a Final Fantasy VIII remake with...

The Valkyria Chronicles Battle System.

Wait. WAIT.

Now before you jump right out and scream "WTF?!" you have to think about it for a moment.

Think back to the very beginning of the game on the first real mission in Dollet. Imagine having Zell, Seifer, and Squall around the map, and having their locations being shown as well as the location of Galbadian soldiers. You move the cursor over to Squall, select him, and have him scout the area. He spots three galbadian soldiers and quickly dispatches one of them. His turn is over. You choose to abandon command on Squall, and he quickly cocks his Gunglade, just like the soldiers do in Valkyria..except much cooler.

Next up, Seifer. Thanks to Squall, you now know the location of the remaining two soldiers. You send Seifer over right next to Squall, select him to kill one of them off, and then Squall and Seifer do a cinematic team attack and annihilate both of them instead of just one (or do double damage on that one.)

End phase. Enemy turn (you chose for Zell to poke his own ass so your CP ended)

Galbadian Soldiers surround Seifer and Squall and damage both of them, thought Seifer is left near death. Your turn again. You choose Seifer, and since he's low in health (as a nod to the original FFVIII) you select your Limit Break, which deals about as much explosive damage as a mortar would deal against a group of enemies. Though a limit on limit breaks would have to be set. Maybe only use them once a mission, or once per every 3 phases, and only when low in health. Whatever.

Imagine fighting the Mechanical spider (XMwhatever) and having to use Squall's charged shot from a Gunblade on several key points.

GF's would use up like 2-3 CP and would do about as much damage as a tank would, though summoning a GF should also deplete some health so that you don't just spam the crap out of them.

How would magic be used? Simple. Several draw points could be scattered around a map, and you'd have to run up to one, draw magic from it, and then use it wisely on an opponent. Some enemies should be stronger against certain types of magic than others, making Magic your ace in the hole for say..a Red Giant that's about to kick your ass.

Imagine going on the mission to assassinate Edea, and having Squall and Irvine take cover within the crowd, proceeding until their movement bar is used up (whatever the fuck they call it in VC) and then take cover again, and cock their weapons in a bad ass manner.

A lot of revisions would have to be taken, but it could work so well.

The only thing that would be odd would be all of Ultimecia's castle, with the enclosed spaces and whatnot..but they could be made larger.

I was right. The first reply on the internet really is the most useless.

Oh well. Some guy with Baby mario all over himself really shouldn't be judging on which games suck.

Some guy who dresses like
l_7d7b8cdf1795fea6faf7601a414223f3.jpg
really shouldn't be judging anything at all.

Yeah, I totally care about what some board user thinks about the way I looked a year ago.

Quite pathetic that you actually saved that. Jesus.

If you're 'that' into me, you should probably jack off to my display picture.

..Jack off.

...Jack.

...Silly puns.

[quote name='Jack-Hunter']Yeah, I totally care about what some board user thinks about the way I looked a year ago.

Quite pathetic that you actually saved that. Jesus.

If you're 'that' into me, you should probably jack off to my display picture.

..Jack off.

...Jack.

...Silly puns.[/quote]
I didn't save it.

Pissed off and annoyed.

LOL, nice shirt buddy, and don't you dare talk shit about Yoshi's Island. It is one of the best 2-d platformers ever made and it puts FF VIII to shame.

You remembered the location of the thread instead. Much more productive!

Anyway, can you like..hurry off and go do what people with no life do best? You know. Pick on people for the way they dressed more than a year ago? Since you seem to have like...nothing..better to do?

If I wanted to make a thread for people to come and show me how bad their life is, I wouldn't have titled it about an FFVIII remake. Probably more after, how Mario ..and his fans, should grow up or die.

[quote name='SteveGo']LOL, nice shirt buddy, and don't you dare talk shit about Yoshi's Island. It is one of the best 2-d platformers ever made and it puts FF VIII to shame.[/QUOTE]

I will dare talk 'shit' about a shitty game.

[quote name='Jack-Hunter']I will dare talk 'shit' about a shitty game.[/QUOTE]

The fact that you think Yoshi's Island is a shitty game tells me you've probably never even played it. Let me guess, too many colors other than black in the game? Oh well, your loss.

[quote name='naes']Some guy who dresses like
l_7d7b8cdf1795fea6faf7601a414223f3.jpg
really shouldn't be judging anything at all.[/QUOTE]

wow I forgot abou that. Thanks for the memories!

They idea does sound good though. I'd love a ff 7 remake! I played that one probably 5 times through. The first time I had over 120 hours in and did EVERYTHING except kill omega weapon. That fucker was hard! I even had the damn golden choccoboo.

8 was fun but I only did one time on that one. The card game was fun. I wish they would just make a downloadable card game for either psp or psn-live

[quote name='SteveGo']The fact that you think Yoshi's Island is a shitty game tells me you've probably never even played it. Let me guess, too many colors other than black in the game? Oh well, your loss.[/QUOTE]

Yup. That's exactly why it's a crappy game. Really.

Yoshi's Island was cool.
FFVIII wasn't that horribly bad. Am I wrong?
I think your shirt is interesting to say the least. I had a friend who wore some funky clothes like that... He was an absolute douche though. (not saying you're a douche.)

BTW it would be interesting to see that remake, but I would not buy it. If I got it for free I'd probably sell it or throw it away lol. No offense.

Actually, remaking FF8 makes a lot moire sense than FF7. It's silly to remake classic films and games. Those that most people adore and heap praise upon. For example, how do you improve upon FF7 in most minds? All they really want is prettier graphics, not a remake. FF8, on the other hand, many see as a flawed title. Remake it and you have something to improve upon.

[quote name='elwood731']Actually, remaking FF8 makes a lot moire sense than FF7. It's silly to remake classic films and games. Those that most people adore and heap praise upon. For example, how do you improve upon FF7 in most minds? All they really want is prettier graphics, not a remake. FF8, on the other hand, many see as a flawed title. Remake it and you have something to improve upon.[/QUOTE]

I agree FFVIII was flawed in some aspects. Maybe it's the potential that it has that made me like it so much. That, or the fact that it's the first FF I ever beat, and at a young age at that. Not to mention, I liked the main character quite a bit.

Aside from "I WON'T EVER HAVE MY NAME BE USED IN THE PAST TENSE!"

And shit like that.

You want to fix the shit that is Final Fantasy VIII? I recommend changing Squall from a pussy into this.

duke-nukem-trailer-coming.jpg

Squall was kinda emo. But he had a cool weapon! Now I think of it...Cloud was kinda a winy little bitch.

I''d love a ffv7 update. Don't change it. Keep the same exact game just refreshed. Like how they did re1

[quote name='Jack-Hunter']Sigh.

It's been an entire year.

l_2fac8b4524c649d689f7809651a51856.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Your thumbnail looked like james franco. I was waiting to see spiderman pop in on ya. Then you blew it up. I didn't realize it was you. I guess its hard to tell without the skintight black pleather and guyliner on.

I love VIII but final boss cheats
she kept stealing my magic
and gameplay is broken in so many ways: Draw and Junction. Not to mention enemies, including bosses, leveled with you. I'll be shocked if VIII gets any new release outside of Japan without some major tweaking.

[quote name='Jack-Hunter']You remembered the location of the thread instead. Much more productive![/quote]

The search feature works wonders.

I would like a remake of FFVIII, but not with the Valkyria Chronicles battle system. I don't really care for that game. Cut down on summoning times, or make it so you can skip them. Also though I didn't mind it than, get rid of the whole magic drawing system.

Also Squall was a 17 year old, and he was probably typical of anybody at 17, think back to when you were that age and he was probably the same as you, even if some of you don't want to admit that. I guess people want them remade into some super badass ninja since people seem to love Raiden now, while they hated him in MGS2.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Your thumbnail looked like james franco. I was waiting to see spiderman pop in on ya. Then you blew it up. I didn't realize it was you. I guess its hard to tell without the skintight black pleather and guyliner on.[/QUOTE]

lmfao that's who it was, i was like..wait, this guy is familiar, i've seen him before. and then i read this, and realized he looks a lot like james franco

[quote name='Thongsy']Cut down on summoning times, or make it so you can skip them.[/quote]

Problem is that you actually used summoning skills. They were only useful for first few hours of the game and took a backsit to regular attacks and magic.

Gah, I agree with most of the posters...FF8 was a huge letdown, not shit, but just not what we wanted. I mean, I bought it, played it, and beat it when it first came out, but the characters were lame, the story was too emo, and the magic system was wacky. Other than the awesome environments, this is one game I probably wouldn't retread through.

Knowing Square though, this will be remade or ported in the next 1-5 years..haha.

[quote name='Thongsy']Also Squall was a 17 year old, and he was probably typical of anybody at 17, think back to when you were that age and he was probably the same as you, even if some of you don't want to admit that..[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was 17 when the game was released and wanted to punch Squall in his face.

bread's done
Back