Just how bad is Chrono Trigger for PSX?

iversonwii

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, I really want to experience what Chrono Trigger is all about. The problem is that I'm reading horror stories about the Final Fantasy Chronicles version (load times). Will it really hamper my gaming experience? I'd be playing it on a PS2.

Any reviews/comparisons would greatly help. Thanks.

If you've never played it, will never play the ROM on an emulator and don't want to wait for the semi-possible remake, forget that there are load times, the game is great. I haven't played the PS1 version but people were probably complaining about gaining load times instead of having the SNES-like quality.

For one of the greatest RPGs ever made (in my opinion and it's actually at #1), load times are no obstacle.

The only issue is that there's a slight pause while the game loads. It happens before every battle, before most areas, and before you bring up the menu. Otherwise, it's the same exact experience... the anime cutscenes are a nice additions too.

Apart from the load times, the game is still utterly fantastic and has some great bonus features like anime cutscenes and a gallery feature that weren't in the SNES original.

Get it.

Well, it's better than an emulator and cheaper than the SNES version so I'd say go for it. If worst comes to worse you can always make a sandwich during load screens.

[quote name='iversonwii']Hey guys, I really want to experience what Chrono Trigger is all about. The problem is that I'm reading horror stories about the Final Fantasy Chronicles version (load times). Will it really hamper my gaming experience? I'd be playing it on a PS2.

Any reviews/comparisons would greatly help. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

surely in your gamer life you are used to load times. It's just the retro gamers who played the original that complain. But if you are any sort of a fan of classic RPG's you'll love Chrono Trigger.

So how bad is chrono trigger on the PS? It's like saying how bad is sex in the back of a Volkswagen?

[quote name='mr ryles']So how bad is chrono trigger on the PS? It's like saying how bad is sex in the back of a Volkswagen?[/quote]

I think the key here is who with? With a sex goddess or with Roseanne Barr?

Since you went ahead, I probably don't need to post, but I shall anyway. I'm currently playing this on PS1. The load times aren't too bad, but yeah, it would be nice to be rid of them. The game is enjoyable just the same. Nothing long enough to make a sandwich though, so that is great. I expect the "fast load" on PS2 will help out some.

Have fun!

Might as well chip in... I just started playing it on a PS2, and the load times are (so far) very minor, definitely not enough of an issue to turn me off from playing through it again.

It's funny to see this thread because I decided to start on Chrono Trigger for the first time ever today. I had played it in brief spurts before, but never past the Millenial Fair.. I'm up to the
apocalyptic wasteland
and so far, the game is amazing. I'm playing the SNES version, though. I know what it's like to have slight pauses before battles in PS1 (and PS2) games.. or even the brief pauses in the Zelda games.. it's annoying, but look past it, this game is amazing.

[quote name='Scorch']It's funny to see this thread because I decided to start on Chrono Trigger for the first time ever today. I had played it in brief spurts before, but never past the Millenial Fair.. I'm up to the
apocalyptic wasteland
and so far, the game is amazing. I'm playing the SNES version, though. I know what it's like to have slight pauses before battles in PS1 (and PS2) games.. or even the brief pauses in the Zelda games.. it's annoying, but look past it, this game is amazing.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Wow, Scorch, even I have played CT. Good game, but not the best.

I wouldn't consider Chrono Trigger the best RPG on SNES. Earthbound, Final Fantasy 2 & 3, Soul Blazer and Secret of Mana I feel were better games. CT is still an excellent game and is a wonderful addition to any library, but those who enjoy CT should at the very least play FF2 and 3 and see what the fuss was really about.

[quote name='Scorch']It's funny to see this thread because I decided to start on Chrono Trigger for the first time ever today. I had played it in brief spurts before, but never past the Millenial Fair.. I'm up to the
apocalyptic wasteland
and so far, the game is amazing. I'm playing the SNES version, though. I know what it's like to have slight pauses before battles in PS1 (and PS2) games.. or even the brief pauses in the Zelda games.. it's annoying, but look past it, this game is amazing.[/QUOTE]

You don't know how nice it is to see a comment like that.

It seems like I hear shit like "randum battlz?! LOL wat?" (though that doesn't apply here) or how the audio is only in stereo or why they can't customize the length of his/her character's hair when people go back to play a classic for the first time.

Nice to someone actually enjoying a classic rather than bitch about it.

[quote name='mr ryles']Best SNES RPG's:

1)Mario RPG
2)Chrono Trigger
3)Earthbound[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy 3/USA 6 fits in there also. ;)

[quote name='SumDumRetard']I wouldn't consider Chrono Trigger the best RPG on SNES. Earthbound, Final Fantasy 2 & 3, Soul Blazer and Secret of Mana I feel were better games. CT is still an excellent game and is a wonderful addition to any library, but those who enjoy CT should at the very least play FF2 and 3 and see what the fuss was really about.[/quote]

Is it not kind of obvious that we would have played, at the least, those FF games? I got into FFIV really late so I ended up buying the GBA version and never got to finishing it. I might go and be an idiot by buying he DS version when it's released. I do love me some FFVI and it's in my top ten games list. Earthbound for awhile was weird for me because I had it confused with a another game until Contact came out. I tried going back to it through emulator+ROM but it didn't have any effect on me. I must have missed something with Secret of Mana because I was never able to play that co-op.

believe it or not i have never played chrono trigger, obviously you can tell what i think the best game of all time is. What ps1 game is it on and for about how much does it go for?

[quote name='buffdrew84']believe it or not i have never played chrono trigger, obviously you can tell what i think the best game of all time is. What ps1 game is it on and for about how much does it go for?[/QUOTE]

It's in Final Fantasy Chronicles (which is Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV) and you can pick up a copy for very cheap on Ebay, like under $15 shipped.

If it helps sway you, FF Chronicles has my favorite version of FF IV ever released. It's in English, it has the original Japanese difficulty and items and it was retranslated for the US. As much as I like Chrono Trigger, I've played through FF IV many more times.

apocalyptic wasteland

You don't know how nice it is to see a comment like that.

It seems like I hear shit like "randum battlz?! LOL wat?" (though that doesn't apply here) or how the audio is only in stereo or why they can't customize the length of his/her character's hair when people go back to play a classic for the first time.

Nice to someone actually enjoying a classic rather than bitch about it.

[quote name='mr ryles']Best SNES RPG's:

1)Mario RPG
2)Chrono Trigger
3)Earthbound[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy 3/USA 6 fits in there also. ;)

[quote name='SumDumRetard']I wouldn't consider Chrono Trigger the best RPG on SNES. Earthbound, Final Fantasy 2 & 3, Soul Blazer and Secret of Mana I feel were better games. CT is still an excellent game and is a wonderful addition to any library, but those who enjoy CT should at the very least play FF2 and 3 and see what the fuss was really about.[/quote]

Is it not kind of obvious that we would have played, at the least, those FF games? I got into FFIV really late so I ended up buying the GBA version and never got to finishing it. I might go and be an idiot by buying he DS version when it's released. I do love me some FFVI and it's in my top ten games list. Earthbound for awhile was weird for me because I had it confused with a another game until Contact came out. I tried going back to it through emulator+ROM but it didn't have any effect on me. I must have missed something with Secret of Mana because I was never able to play that co-op.

believe it or not i have never played chrono trigger, obviously you can tell what i think the best game of all time is. What ps1 game is it on and for about how much does it go for?

[quote name='buffdrew84']believe it or not i have never played chrono trigger, obviously you can tell what i think the best game of all time is. What ps1 game is it on and for about how much does it go for?[/QUOTE]

It's in Final Fantasy Chronicles (which is Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV) and you can pick up a copy for very cheap on Ebay, like under $15 shipped.

If it helps sway you, FF Chronicles has my favorite version of FF IV ever released. It's in English, it has the original Japanese difficulty and items and it was retranslated for the US. As much as I like Chrono Trigger, I've played through FF IV many more times.

[quote name='|\|ES']Well, it's better than an emulator and cheaper than the SNES version so I'd say go for it. If worst comes to worse you can always make a sandwich during load screens.[/QUOTE]

How is it better than an emulator? Zsnes runs it perfectly. I have the cartridge and prefer to play it on computer. First I can make it run faster at 4x and secondly It's totally pixel for pixel perfect, RGB instead of crappy s-video or composite video. I can also save at any point. Emulation is where it's at. the only bad thing is not being able to use the SNES joypad. I'm using a playstation controller and it's okay but it doesn't "feel" right. Is their a snes computer joypad?

[quote name='sparklecopy']How is it better than an emulator? Zsnes runs it perfectly. I have the cartridge and prefer to play it on computer. First I can make it run faster at 4x and secondly It's totally pixel for pixel perfect, RGB instead of crappy s-video or composite video. I can also save at any point. Emulation is where it's at. the only bad thing is not being able to use the SNES joypad. I'm using a playstation controller and it's okay but it doesn't "feel" right. Is their a snes computer joypad?[/quote]

If you think playing emulated games is as good as or better than playing the real thing, on a real system, with a real controller then I guess there's no helping you.

And, yes you can hook up a real SNES controller: http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?categoryID=79 or http://www.phreque.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=23 but if you ask me it's still not the same.

[quote name='|\|ES']If you think playing emulated games is as good as or better than playing the real thing, on a real system, with a real controller then I guess there's no helping you.

And, yes you can hook up a real SNES controller: http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?categoryID=79 or http://www.phreque.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=23 but if you ask me it's still not the same.[/QUOTE]

Thanx for that. gonna get me a super famicom controller and play the shit out of earthbound once I edit the savestate so I'm at max levels. the computer is not as good a emulator as the xbox one though. the xbox allows me to play at 1080i emulation but I can't stand to use a xbox controller.

update: Im 10 hrs in. The load times don't really exist if you're playing on a PS2 (all less than 3 or 4 seconds). Glad i was wrong about my assumption!

this game rules. it was always too expensive for me to buy in 1995. Thanks again.

They should only be a problem if you play it on PS1. If you play it on ps2/ps3/psp(memory stick) I am sure they won't be a problem. If you can play off a MS I would advise it - I always play games I buy off the memory stick it made a HUGE difference for Crisis Core.

That makes no sense if you can't enjoy it on the original system why buy it in the first place. Also the SNES game or rom is better in qaulity and is the original game.

Also the game is not the best game in the world it is just the sprites are so animated and there is no representation between battles. A better game is Star Ocean or even Phantasy Star when thinking how for they did into it or not.

Another option is to buy a PSP slime or whatever attachment to play via television.

The best game of all time would be a mini game like Home run

[quote name='|\|ES']If you think playing emulated games is as good as or better than playing the real thing, on a real system, with a real controller then I guess there's no helping you.

And, yes you can hook up a real SNES controller: http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?categoryID=79 or http://www.phreque.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=23 but if you ask me it's still not the same.[/quote]

Playing games on an emulator runs just as well, if not better on an emulator for your computer then on SNES. Considering that it was ported over to PSX and million of purchases, you'd think you'd drop that elitist attitude of yours.

Heck you can configure your computer to play on your TV, with a USB hookup there's no difference. Sure it's nice to own the SNES copy but suggesting that not playing it on the "proper" system makes you inferior is a terrible attitude to have. A game's a game, SNES games are perfectly ported over for use on home computers with NO difference, you just have that attitude of "true collectors" that sneers on those who don't want to spend big money to play an old school game.

[quote name='SumDumRetard']Playing games on an emulator runs just as well, if not better on an emulator for your computer then on SNES. Considering that it was ported over to PSX and million of purchases, you'd think you'd drop that elitist attitude of yours.

Heck you can configure your computer to play on your TV, with a USB hookup there's no difference. Sure it's nice to own the SNES copy but suggesting that not playing it on the "proper" system makes you inferior is a terrible attitude to have. A game's a game, SNES games are perfectly ported over for use on home computers with NO difference, you just have that attitude of "true collectors" that sneers on those who don't want to spend big money to play an old school game.[/QUOTE]

while I agree with the emulation part. I can tell you that there was something "off" about playing on a emulator. Now that I just got the SNES retroport and am able to use my super nintendo controller. It's PERFECT! it's the only way to play.

I played it first on SNES and then on PSone, and the load times were not THAT bad. Yes, they exist, but they're pretty minimal considering all the whining I heard when it came out.

I know this is subjective but Chrono Trigger has beaten every other SNES rpg I've ever played. I've never played Earthbound though. Give this game to any 10-13 year old today spoiled by the current gen and I'm pretty sure they'll love it.

I played the SNES original (back in the day) and the PS1 remake, and the load times didn't bother me at all. It's still a great game!

[quote name='SumDumRetard']Playing games on an emulator runs just as well, if not better on an emulator for your computer then on SNES. Considering that it was ported over to PSX and million of purchases, you'd think you'd drop that elitist attitude of yours.

Heck you can configure your computer to play on your TV, with a USB hookup there's no difference. Sure it's nice to own the SNES copy but suggesting that not playing it on the "proper" system makes you inferior is a terrible attitude to have. A game's a game, SNES games are perfectly ported over for use on home computers with NO difference, you just have that attitude of "true collectors" that sneers on those who don't want to spend big money to play an old school game.[/quote]

I don't think of myself as a real snobby collector or anything of the sort. I'm not picky about having mint condition everything and sealed copies of crappy games just because they're rare. I play all of the games I collect, and I collect only the games I enjoy playing. I'm also not of the belief that everything must be played on its original platform. I own dozens of re-makes and re-releases (lets face it, some are even better than the originals). I even have a decent amount of Virtual Console games and playing them on the Wii with a classic controller or a Hori digital pad doesn't bother me in the slightest. Additionally, I have an HTPC emulator setup with real controllers on USB but even still it has never felt right to me. I don't know for sure what it is about it that bothers me.

The best I can figure is that it must be the complete lack of scarcity. Somehow having the ability to play 1 of 10,000 different games on a whim just dilutes the whole experience for me. I suppose that to a certain degree I take more satisfaction from hunting down and collecting the games I like, and there is a certain degree of pride in ownership. The question of legality is an issue for me as well (though not a huge one).

There are other factors too, like having to boot up a computer and load an emulator instead of just hitting a power switch and game-on, and the ability to save-state, rewind, and fast-forward takes away from the experience and difficulty of the games as well. Not all emulation is 100% either, although most of it is damn close.

bread's done
Back