Just need some help with my sound set up.

Gamehead

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
First, here is my equipment.

Speakers- Logitech Z-5300
PC mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131153
Sound Card- Asus Xonar http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006R
TV- Toshiba Regza http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EHL0F2

What I want is for all my sound to go through my speakers correctly. I want to actually have 5.1 output on everything (TV, PC, video game systems). I should mention that I use my TV as my PC's monitor. I have my x360 and Ps3 hooked up to the TV. They both have digital audio outs. How would I go about having them both use my speakers for 5.1? Currently they output as stereo. I have them playing through the tv which is connected to my sound card's line-in.

My mobo has an spdif input. My TV also has a digital audio input. Would I be able to connect my PC and TV using an spdif cable? I have googled what I could, but I really don't know anything about sound set ups. Is it possible with what I have now or do I need some more equipment?

It's been a while since I've done this personally, so I won't really be able to answer your question, but I can give you a bump. Looking at your stuff, I don't think you have anything that decodes DD5.1 (the Xonar only goes up to Pro Logic II). So, you need a receiver or sound card that takes an optical in and outputs 6 channel analog for your speakers.

Personally, I use a Creative DDTS-100, which works perfectly. But it's old, out of production, and impossible to find (in a store, anyway). I don't know of other external receivers that do the same trick, but someone might.

A sound card capable of decoding Dolby Digital 5.1 with optical in plus a cheap optical switch might work for you. Possible card, but there's a bunch that would probably work - http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=17927&nav=1

I should also throw this out there... your speakers aren't that expensive, so spending money on compatibility with them might not make sense. You could spring for a HTiaB from the likes of Onkyo, and use your existing sound card's Dolby Digital Live feature to output 5.1 audio from your PC to the new receiver.

Maybe someone else will come along with something cheaper.

That creative DDTS seems to be just what I need. I would hook my speakers up to that, then connect everything, pc, ps3, 360 to that. Is that correct or am I missing something? The Xonar encodes up to Dolby Digital. Is that what you meant by DD5.1?

[quote name='Gamehead']That creative DDTS seems to be just what I need. I would hook my speakers up to that, then connect everything, pc, ps3, 360 to that. Is that correct or am I missing something? The Xonar encodes up to Dolby Digital. Is that what you meant by DD5.1?[/QUOTE]

From what I see of the Xonar, in encodes DD5.1. As in, it can take a signal from your computer and turn it into 5.1 for decoding by a traditional receiver. That's great if you have home theater speakers and want to use them for PC games.

It doesn't decode DD5.1, which is what the 360 and PS3 (I think) output for games, so it won't help you get surround sound from them. It's sort of irrelevant though, since there's no input for the signal.

Yeah, the DDTS-100 will work, if you can find it. Keep in mind that spending an upwards of $150 for compatibility with $150 speakers might not be the best way to go. For instance, the Logitech Z-5500 is a nicer set of speakers, and it comes with an external decoder with optical in.

Your TV has optical out.. do your speakers have optical in? That'd be the easiest way, you wouldn't have to deal with separate switching.

I keep forgetting about my own thread. Anyway I have been considering getting the Z-5500 speakers for my PC. I have read that they are pretty much the best there is. If I had that then could I get the optical out splitter, hook my PS3, TV and 360 up to that then plug that into the optical in plug in the speakers?

There is also the matter of my sound card. Would I need to upgrade that to get surround sound for my consoles?

Forgive me for being so slow. I want to make sure that I am making the best choice for this.

If you bought the Z-5500s, your current sound card would be sufficient. It would output 5.1 from your computer for PC games or music, etc. The Z-5500s have their own decoder in the pod you plug the external sources into.

Obviously, if you're willing to spend the money to get an entirely new sound system, your options are pretty open. Whatever you do, you need a decoder capable of processing Dolby Digital (at the very least - DTS is also nice, as well as the 6.1 and 7.1 versions of each) which can output to whatever speakers you end up with.

For $100, you can get a new sound card. I don't know how easy it would be to make it work.

For $200, you can get the Z-5500's, even though all you really need is the decoder pod from that system (I don't know if it would work with your current speakers, if you could get it).

If you're willing to spend over $400, you should look at Home-Theater-in-a-Box solutions. You'd have to use your current sound card's Dolby Digital Live feature to output from your PC.

bread's done
Back