Just ordered my Core 2 Extreme

saetia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
80 (100%)
Should arrive Wednesday. Was this a good buy? $3000 from Ibuypower.

Case ( [New !!!] Nzxt Apollo Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black )
Case Lighting ( Neon Light Blue )
Power Supply ( ** iBUYPOWER Recommended ** NZXT PF-500 500 Watt Power Supply )
Processor ( Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor X6800 (2x 2.93GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) )
Free Software/Game ( Free Game --- World of Warcraft with purchase of any INTEL based systems or Mobile notebook )
Processor Cooling ( [New !!!] iBUYPOWER Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit --- [for INTEL CPU] )
Motherboard ( Asus P5N-SLI w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0 Dual PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
Video Card ( ==[New !!!]== Nvidia Geforce 7950GX2 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Hard Drive ( 250 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache] )
CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] 16X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
Sound Card ( Dolby Digital Surround 7.1 Sound Card )
Speaker System ( 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
Fax Modem ( None )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Floppy Drive ( Mitsumi 1.44 MB Internal Floppy Drive Black )
Monitor ( LCD Monitor ViewSonic 17" Q7B TFT LCD Monitor [Black] )
Keyboard ( Logitech Deluxe Keyboard Black )
Mouse ( [New !!!] Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse )
Operation System ( [Special !!] MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 )
Video Camera ( ** iBUYPOWER Recommended ** i-Rock Web Camera + Headset )
Wireless Network Adapter ( [Special !!!] Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps PCI Adapter )
Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) [RUSH !!!], Ship Out in Next Business Day )

[quote name='Nogib']For the kind of money you are throwing at it, why skimp on the hard drive and LCD?[/quote]

I figured 250 gigs was sufficient. Besides, I already have a 200 gig external HD. The monitor can be upgraded cheaper through a different outlet. That was the default monitor.

Other than that, what are your opinions?

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Pretty good specs, you'll have lots of fun w/ it.[/quote]

Cool. Thanks. These next 48 hours will be the longest ever.:)

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']what the hell do you need all that power for? Or are you 'future proofing'[/quote]

I want to avoid upgrading every year, I guess. Is it overkill? Oh well. Too late now.

I wouldn't have bothered with that video card. DirectX 10 cards are just around the corner. You should have just slapped a 7600 in there to tide you over.

[quote name='saetia']I figured 250 gigs was sufficient. Besides, I already have a 200 gig external HD. The monitor can be upgraded cheaper through a different outlet. That was the default monitor.

Other than that, what are your opinions?[/QUOTE]

If thats the case then why didn't you select no monitor and save $170?

Also, that processor is a big waste of $$$ considering quad core processors, compatable with your motherboard, should be coming before the end of the year.

I don't really mean to rag on you. Your computer will surely kick ass and be the fastest thing around and if you don't mind spending the money now and having it be old news in 6 months then no problem. But the fact of the matter is that buying a top of line computer is never really a good deal.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']you gotta draw the line somewhere. Theres always going to be some new fanciness right around the corner.[/QUOTE]

It is just sad to see someone spend $3000 on a computer and then post the specs in an attempt to have someone on the internet(CAG no less) help them justify the purchase.

One of the eyesores of that spec list, as someone mentioned, is that he didn't even upgrade the hard drive. Then the OP responds saying that he has another 200gb hard drive so he will have plenty of space. From this it is clear that he really doesn't understand what he should have been looking for in a computer. The point, that I hope that the poster who mentioned this flaw was trying to make, is that spending $3000 on a PC and not upgrading the HD to achieve better performance was a mistake. For just a mere $23 he could have doubled to cache size of his HD or for $200 he could have got one of that super quick 10,000 RPM drives and had windows start up faster than you can say Mel Gibson.

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']It is just sad to see someone spend $3000 on a computer and then post the specs in an attempt to have someone on the internet(CAG no less) help them justify the purchase.

One of the eyesores of that spec list, as someone mentioned, is that he didn't even upgrade the hard drive. Then the OP responds saying that he has another 200gb hard drive so he will have plenty of space. From this it is clear that he really doesn't understand what he should have been looking for in a computer. The point, that I hope that the poster who mentioned this flaw was trying to make, is that spending $3000 on a PC and not upgrading the HD to achieve better performance was a mistake. For just a mere $23 he could have doubled to cache size of his HD or for $200 he could have got one of that super quick 10,000 RPM drives and had windows start up faster than you can say Mel Gibson.[/quote]

You're right. I don't understand, but I have got to the point where I was sick of getting people to help me build a custom PC. I posted on every imaginable PC message board (not just CAG) to get advice. I seriously had no idea that the HD would have that effect on anything else besides storage. I was tired of waiting.

Having this knowledge NOW is appreciative. I can upgrade the HD and achieve having a competent PC all-around. I wasn't trying to get anyone justify a purchase to me. I was just asking people what I could improve, or to see of parts were compatible. Having said all of this, I just wanna thank you for your feedback, seriously.

I wondering if that PSU is sufficient... I mean, a 7950GTX is like 2 7900GTs on card, right? Won't the power draw be huge?

I hope you don't ever need tech support as Ibuypower sucks ass in that department from what I've read (hence I decided to build my own). My RA this past year bought a computer from them and they provided no tech support when his PS died and took the mobo with it. Luckily, the PS manufacturer replaced both (I think it was Enermax) after a lot of time with tech support.

Congrats on the awesome PC man... you'll be one of the handfull of people who can play Oblivion completely maxed out and running at 60+ fps.:)

I wish I could've afford a Core 2 Duo but it's not worth it right now IMO- especially due to the price mark-ups and expensive yet under-delivering mobos (for now anyway).

[quote name='Vinny']I wondering if that PSU is sufficient... I mean, a 7950GTX is like 2 7900GTs on card, right? Won't the power draw be huge?

I hope you don't ever need tech support as Ibuypower sucks ass in that department from what I've read (hence I decided to build my own). My RA this past year bought a computer from them and they provided no tech support when his PS died and took the mobo with it. Luckily, the PS manufacturer replaced both (I think it was Enermax) after a lot of time with tech support.

Congrats on the awesome PC man... you'll be one of the handfull of people who can play Oblivion completely maxed out and running at 60+ fps.:)

I wish I could've afford a Core 2 Duo but it's not worth it right now IMO- especially due to the price mark-ups and expensive yet under-delivering mobos (for now anyway).[/QUOTE]Jesus, tell me about it. I'm shitting looking at the motherboard prices.

[quote name='jmcc']Jesus, tell me about it. I'm shitting looking at the motherboard prices.[/quote]

Wow... 150 board and it doesn't even have Crossfire.

The $250 doesn't even have onboard RAID!

What the fuck...

there is one board that overclocks like crazy. I think it was one of the gigabytes. Someone had their 2MB 6300 hovering at more than 3 gigs on air.

There is also an ASRock board that works with conroe and it is like 60 bucks.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']there is one board that overclocks like crazy. I think it was one of the gigabytes. Someone had their 2MB 6300 hovering at more than 3 gigs on air.

There is also an ASRock board that works with conroe and it is like 60 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. That's the mobo I ordered and currently have sitting around in my room because I thought I'd get a Core 2 Duo system. But going with AMD, I saved ~$220. I figure that if I have a fast ass CPU than my GPU will bottleneck my games whereas if I have a fairly good processor and spend more on a GPU, then at least I can hit better graphics/more life. The CPU really isn't being pushed that much yet.

And that ASrock mobo sucks. Only 2 DIMMs and no features at all.

[quote name='Sporadic']Meh, you would have been better just spreading that 3000 over a few years instead of blowing your load on one thing.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree... that 7950 is king now but even the cheaper GeForce 8 cards will support features that the 7950 won't be capable of. And they're not that far away- I think it's another 6 months or so.

But its almost always just another 6 months. Its not like they go 5 years between revisions.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, it was a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. That's the mobo I ordered and currently have sitting around in my room because I thought I'd get a Core 2 Duo system. But going with AMD, I saved ~$220. I figure that if I have a fast ass CPU than my GPU will bottleneck my games whereas if I have a fairly good processor and spend more on a GPU, then at least I can hit better graphics/more life. The CPU really isn't being pushed that much yet.

And that ASrock mobo sucks. Only 2 DIMMs and no features at all.

I definitely agree... that 7950 is king now but even the cheaper GeForce 8 cards will support features that the 7950 won't be capable of. And they're not that far away- I think it's another 6 months or so.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']But its almost always just another 6 months. Its not like they go 5 years between revisions.[/QUOTE]DirectX isn't on a 6 month revision cycle, though.

That ASRock board is a lot nicer than you are claiming it to be. 2 Dimms is more than enough since Windows XP doesn't work well with more than 2 gigs (pretty sure home edition only registers 2.5 gigs at most). Plus it has 4 PCI slots and slots for both a PCI-e card and an AGP card.

Sure other boards are more expensive and offer more, but bang for the buck it is a pretty good board.

[quote name='Dezuria']I'd say to get a higher wattage power supply. A good quality 500+ watt one. :)[/quote]

For this build, which one should I get? Any exclusions? Are there certain compatibility issues w/PSUs?

Thanks

[quote name='Dezuria']I'd say to get a higher wattage power supply. A good quality 500+ watt one. :)[/quote]

For this build of PC, is there a specific PSU that I should get? Are there exclusions and is compatability an issue when it comes to PSUs. Mardon my ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']That ASRock board is a lot nicer than you are claiming it to be. 2 Dimms is more than enough since Windows XP doesn't work well with more than 2 gigs (pretty sure home edition only registers 2.5 gigs at most). Plus it has 4 PCI slots and slots for both a PCI-e card and an AGP card.

Sure other boards are more expensive and offer more, but bang for the buck it is a pretty good board.[/QUOTE]

That's fine if your only going to use it with XP... but I'd rather not waste money on a mobo now and then have to buy another one once I get Vista (and will more than likely need more than 2GB of memory. More so, what if someone wants to use 4x 512MB of memory? They have the option with other boards but not with the ASrock.

It's definitely a great board for money but I'd would say it's wiser to spend a bit more on a better mobo in this case as their mobos are unbeatable for the price.

The course of action I'm taking for now is to wait for the Nforce 590/570 boards to come out. They're more affordable and have proper SLI support.

bread's done
Back