Just picked up my SE Halo Xbox!!!

AGuth

CAGiversary!
Just picked up my SE Halo Xbox!!! The packaging is nice, and the console itself is just beautiful. The controller S has 'Halo' on the jewel instead of 'Xbox." To all you Xbox tech heads out there, I was disappointed to find that my new Halo Xbox has a Thompson DVD drive, as opposed to a Samsung drive. It doesn't really matter, as long as it doesn't crap out on me like my old Xbox. These Thompsons have to be a bit better than the launch date ones. I invite the rest of you CAGers to post whether you're new Halo Xboxes have Thompson drives or what.

I thought which drive they get depended on where they were manufactured? Either way sucks that they have the Thompsons ion them....my older xbox was a Thompson and it crapped out with DDEs, luckily I always get the insurance on them.

Okay, I just set up my XB wireless G adapter and started playing SC: PT. I noticed that the drive is much quieter - - qiet like the Samsing is. I believe that this Thompson drive is a lot more refined than the older ones, similiar to the newer Thompson drives that are still sold on the regular XBs. As far as I've heard/read, the newer Thompsons are much better than the launch date ones. Similiar to getting the first year of a new model car with there being kinks in a new design and such. Any thoughts?

[quote name='BigMan']The whole Thompson drive issue is the longest running myth on these boards.

Myth: MS no longer makes Xbox's with Thompson drives.
Fact: Many brand new Xbox's are made with the Thompson drive.

Myth: All Thompson drives are inferior and cause problems.
Fact: The very first revision of the Thompson drives used at one plant were less reliable and got out of alignment but since that time, new revs of the Thompson drive have corrected (or simply did not have) that problem.

Myth: Samsungs drives are always superior.
Fact: All DVDs included with Xbox have similar MTBF rate and no real evidence has contradicted that since the early Xbox releases (see prev myth).

So just relax. The new Thompson drives are fine.[/quote]

If I were you, I'd listen to the BigMan.

I got my xbox the day it came out, and I have never had a problem with it. It is quiet too. Ya, 200,000 isnt all that limited. It looks sweet though, I kinda want one, but cant justify the price.

Yea i bought my xbox On October of 2002, played Halo for like 20 Hours, didnt play Xbox for like 6 months and then when i went to play castle of wolfenstein it started to crap out saying the disc was dirty........And yes it was a thompson drive..........It sucked at first but i just opened the box while installin LED's and cleaned the mirror and lens...

My friend and I picked up our SE Halo Xbox today, and first thing, we opened the drive. Ours came with a phillips drive! Oh, and the controller alone is worth the price of the entire package...lol.

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']My friend and I picked up our SE Halo Xbox today, and first thing, we opened the drive. Ours came with a phillips drive! Oh, and the controller alone is worth the price of the entire package...lol.[/quote]

I'm just going to wait for some dumbass to trade it in at EB, and in a couple of years pick it up for 1/8 the price .

How can you tell what kind of DVD drive your Xbox has ?

[quote name='jeffreyjrose']My friend and I picked up our SE Halo Xbox today, and first thing, we opened the drive. Ours came with a phillips drive! Oh, and the controller alone is worth the price of the entire package...lol.[/quote]

Where did you pick it up at, I was the first one to pre-order one at my EB and they said Friday P.M.

[quote name='ajh2298'][quote name='jeffreyjrose']My friend and I picked up our SE Halo Xbox today, and first thing, we opened the drive. Ours came with a phillips drive! Oh, and the controller alone is worth the price of the entire package...lol.[/quote]

Where did you pick it up at, I was the first one to pre-order one at my EB and they said Friday P.M.[/quote]

I originally preordered mine at EB also, but after EBGames.com and Electronics Boutique merged, I couldn't access my account online anymore, so I couldn't check my past/current orders. I was concerned that after preordering my Xbox, that tax would be added later. without having access to my account online, I would have to call to keep checking. This got old real fast, and having a customer service rep. give ma lameass answers as to why I couldn't log in (server maintenance and whatnot) and no help trying to resolve the issue, I cancelled my order. Turns out that Gamestop had them shipping into stores on the 14th, today, and you had to put down only $10, I went there instead. The cool thing is, the guy at the counter didn't know Halo was in the box already, so he gave me an extra copy too. He did this for the guy before me picking his XB up also. So, to make a long story short, Gamestop got em in today, EB get em in Friday, and with the free two day air shipping it won't be until Monday the 19th (or so I was told by the EB customer service rep).

[quote name='AGuth'][quote name='ajh2298'][quote name='jeffreyjrose']My friend and I picked up our SE Halo Xbox today, and first thing, we opened the drive. Ours came with a phillips drive! Oh, and the controller alone is worth the price of the entire package...lol.[/quote]

Where did you pick it up at, I was the first one to pre-order one at my EB and they said Friday P.M.[/quote]

I originally preordered mine at EB also, but after EBGames.com and Electronics Boutique merged, I couldn't access my account online anymore, so I couldn't check my past/current orders. I was concerned that after preordering my Xbox, that tax would be added later. without having access to my account online, I would have to call to keep checking. This got old real fast, and having a customer service rep. give ma lameass answers as to why I couldn't log in (server maintenance and whatnot) and no help trying to resolve the issue, I cancelled my order. Turns out that Gamestop had them shipping into stores on the 14th, today, and you had to put down only $10, I went there instead. The cool thing is, the guy at the counter didn't know Halo was in the box already, so he gave me an extra copy too. He did this for the guy before me picking his XB up also. So, to make a long story short, Gamestop got em in today, EB get em in Friday, and with the free two day air shipping it won't be until Monday the 19th (or so I was told by the EB customer service rep).[/quote]

What a get over! That's just wrong.

[quote name='snotknocker'][quote name='AGuth'][quote name='ajh2298'][quote name='jeffreyjrose']My friend and I picked up our SE Halo Xbox today, and first thing, we opened the drive. Ours came with a phillips drive! Oh, and the controller alone is worth the price of the entire package...lol.[/quote]

I originally preordered mine at EB also, but after EBGames.com and Electronics Boutique merged, I couldn't access my account online anymore, so I couldn't check my past/current orders. I was concerned that after preordering my Xbox, that tax would be added later. without having access to my account online, I would have to call to keep checking. This got old real fast, and having a customer service rep. give ma lameass answers as to why I couldn't log in (server maintenance and whatnot) and no help trying to resolve the issue, I cancelled my order. Turns out that Gamestop had them shipping into stores on the 14th, today, and you had to put down only $10, I went there instead. The cool thing is, the guy at the counter didn't know Halo was in the box already, so he gave me an extra copy too. He did this for the guy before me picking his XB up also. So, to make a long story short, Gamestop got em in today, EB get em in Friday, and with the free two day air shipping it won't be until Monday the 19th (or so I was told by the EB customer service rep).[/quote]

What a get over! That's just wrong.[/quote]

huh?

i preordered mine from EBgames and it shipped yesterday, free 2 day shipping and it will be here on friday.

I bought mine through ebgames.com and they also tried to screw me out of the 2 day shipping and charged me anyway. I simply wrote them a kind e-mail to their customer service and they promptly refunded the shipping. It is not a big deal, just an error.

I got a Philips in mine, but I know of people getting both the Samsungs and the Thomsons also--luck of the draw just like with the regular ones....

E.---

well, i would like to offer you an amazing deal.

a 2nd LE controller for $130.00

PM me if intrested ^^

Hey MorganWebbLover, it's easy to tell what drive your box has. Just hit the eject button and look at the "open" pattern. If it's just a "U" shape, it's a Thompson- I have two like this without any problems. The Samsung has two quarter sized holes. The Phillips has a "U" shape like the Thompson, but the side flange out a little more kinda like two U's stacked.

I sold my old Xbox (with a Samgsung drive) to my friend and picked up the new Halo edition at Target along with a free Platinum Hit - I got Wolfenstien. Checked the drive when I got home - it's a Samsung as well.

bread's done
Back