Just saw Dawn of the Dead (original)

KingDox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
And I was pretty disapointed, I had heard that the movie was good, and it was ok. There where tons of parts where I rolled my eyes and thought, come on....

I was so happy when the pilot was killed, that guy was a moron. I hear that Day of the dead is not as good as Dawn, so should I even bother watching it since I didn't really dig Dawn ?

Watch "Night of the living dead". This is a classic, although it wasn't an action, they did very well, considering it was the lowest budget movie.
Also after you wathc this movie (or you chose not to, but they both kinda relate) watch "Return of the living dead" I have this movie, not because it's good, but it's funny as hell. Theres so many funny parts in it, it's probably the hardest I laughed at a 'serious' movie.
I never saw "dawn of the dead though"...

The new version that they are making looks pretty cool and I look forward to seeing it. I hope it is on the level of 28 Days Later, which scared the shit out of me.

There's really two ways to approach the movie

1) Take it as a goofy horror flick from the late 70's.

or

2) Take it as Romero wrote it. All of his zombie movies aren't really zombie movies. He directs social commentary visual essays.

Night is about racial equality and the shocks from fighting a useless war. Dawn is more about how materialistic society has become. Day is about losing all hope in the military, science, and government.

And if he ever gets around to making "Dead Reckoning", its going to be about "ignoring the problem."

The zombies play a very minor role in his movies, they're only really there to reflect how society is at that time. I don't think they translate to today in that regard but they're still okay movies to watch.

As for the remake, based on the 10 minutes USA aired last night...I only found one good thing: Bigger budgets can convey that things actually went to ape shit rather than having to rely on a radio and television transmission.

Fast, super human strength zombies are a no-no in my book. And like a minute turn around to zombie form is insane as well.

I'll pass judgement when I see it this weekend though.

[quote name='terribledeli']There's really two ways to approach the movie

2) Take it as Romero wrote it. All of his zombie movies aren't really zombie movies. He directs social commentary visual essays.

Dawn is more about how has become.

The zombies play a very minor role in his movies, they're only really there to reflect how society is at that time. I don't think they translate to today in that regard but they're still okay movies to watch.

Fast, super human strength zombies are a no-no in my book. And like a minute turn around to zombie form is insane as well.

I'll pass judgement when I see it this weekend though.[/quote]

can you elaborate more on how it's a comentary about our materialistic society ? I could see him sending this message when he put in the movie the line about the mall, it was something like "they are drawn here, from their past lives, they don't know why they come here, they just know they want to come in side" or was it just the fact that zombies want to go into a mall the joke ? Like in the simpsons episode where they said "Good thing we didn't turn into mindless zombies" then they watched TV with blank looks.

Yeah, zombies with super powers I hate, but I love how the previews of the new "dawn" has like thousands of zombies.

Did you watch the original Romero Dawn, or the director's cut?

I like the director's cut much, much more.

[quote name='KingDox'][quote name='terribledeli']There's really two ways to approach the movie

Dawn is more about how has become.

I'll pass judgement when I see it this weekend though.[/quote]

can you elaborate more on how it's a comentary about our materialistic society ? I could see him sending this message when he put in the movie the line about the mall, it was something like "they are drawn here, from their past lives, they don't know why they come here, they just know they want to come in side" or was it just the fact that zombies want to go into a mall the joke ? Like in the simpsons episode where they said "Good thing we didn't turn into mindless zombies" then they watched TV with blank looks.

Yeah, zombies with super powers I hate, but I love how the previews of the new "dawn" has like thousands of zombies.[/quote]

Its not only the zombies that are drawn to the mall though, the survivors originally intended to stop for supplies and decide to stay. At first, its "lets get the stuff we need" but as the movie progresses they get grow more and more materialistic (as evident of them taking the money, which is worthless in a world gone mad). Ultimately when the bikers arrive, the pilot begins muttering stuff about how it was their's first and sorta goes insane. Their lust for material items ends up being their down fall.

In the original script, no one survived. The black officer commits suicide by shooting himself and the female character jumps into the helicopter blade. A sorta half hearted attempt at redemption for basically becoming common thieves.

some coworkers of mine saw the new remake of the movie tonight (i would have seen it too, but i had to work). they said it was absolutely horrible. i guess they tried to make it like 28 Days Later, which can't bode well. plus, they made a cardinal sin: they put a disturbed song in the movie. over the credits, at least. i guess during the actual movie they have the Richard Cheese version of "down with the sickness", which isn't very cool either. better than the real version done by that horrible band fronted by that Right Said Fred looking guy, though.

bu yeah. i trust their judgement, so i guess it sucks.

it does look like 28 days later (which scared me into submission also). but from the 10 minute preview, seems like it has more action, more like, what happened right when hell broke loose. while 28 days later was well....28 days after the dillema. i know, i know, how obvious. but still, its cool to watch what happened in the beginning.

[quote name='Cracka']how can ur friend see the new version when it comes out friday[/quote]

It's called a Sneak Preview.

28 Day Later was a great movie, but it really didnt' scare me at all. Seemed more thriller than horror to me. But I'm really hyped to see the remake of DotD. The trailer really drew me into it. I love to see the world thrown into chaos and theres no one left. I can't think of a better way to word that, so it sounds weird.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']It's called a Sneak Preview.

28 Day Later was a great movie, but it really didnt' scare me at all. Seemed more thriller than horror to me. But I'm really hyped to see the remake of DotD. The trailer really drew me into it. I love to see the world thrown into chaos and theres no one left. I can't think of a better way to word that, so it sounds weird.[/quote]

i thought 28 Days Later was pretty good, too. but since it was mildly successful, i could definitely see how hollywood would want to start a trend where other movies begin to follow suit. for instance, i guess they aren't really zombies in this new version, and they also move fast, like in 28 Days Later. i will agree that the trailer made me want to see it, but the preliminary reviews are changing my mind.

sneak preview indeed.

I saw the new version tonight and I loved it to death. A very tense, scary, funny, exciting film that I highly recommend. And I'm a film critic, so my recommendation might mean something. :) Seriously, it's just a well-done film that delivers on the potential.

I remember seeing the original a while back and I thought is was a bit ridiculous but the "social commentary" kinda made sense even if you didnt realize it at first. But then again I always hated 70's style movies ones the 70;s were over so the new versionis bound to be a little more intersting.

It's all about the TURBOZOMBIES anyway! :) 28Days later started it with really dangerous quick ninja zombies and it makes sense for this movie, and I'd almost suspect Resident Evil2 will as well. In the old Dawn it just seemed odd that these slow, lumbering, rotting corpses could rip a persons skin off by just touching people for a half second.

[quote name='Alpha2']It's all about the TURBOZOMBIES anyway! :) 28Days later started it with really dangerous quick ninja zombies and it makes sense for this movie, and I'd almost suspect Resident Evil2 will as well. In the old Dawn it just seemed odd that these slow, lumbering, rotting corpses could rip a persons skin off by just touching people for a half second.[/quote]

A zombie alone isn't much of a threat. However, as numbers increase they become deadly. Its sorta like people, a person is understanding, people are zealots and will tear you to pieces for not going with them.

It all goes back to the equation zombies = us.

But to keep this dicussion commentary free, I shall focus solely on the zombies as creatures.

I hail from the Romero school of zombies. Meaning, the cause is basically a higher power saying ''fuck you, you're going to pay'' rather than having some sort of virus or voodoo curse or something. His zombies are slow witted things, only having the basic motor function and mental capacity. A skill like running would cause them to fall over frequently, thus allowing their food to get away They thrive solely on the animalistic instinct to eat, despite it not having any benefiticial qualities. They don't ever get full is what I mean.

Then we can move onto things like the Return of the Living Dead zombies. These come from military screw ups, an agent leaking out causing ''zombification'' if you will. However, this zombies have a much higher mental capacity being able to do things like run and speak. Their desire to eat ''brains'' is to sorta numb the effects of rotting away.

Then we have the turbozombies. As much as I hate to say it, these are probably the future. I'm certain everyone is familiar with these types so I'll skip it.

I think the reason we'll start having these turbozombies is because the focus is being placed on the zombies solely. All of Romero's films, the zombies are sorta background characters. They naturally needed a way to market the movies so the zombies were pushed but they don't serve a real purpose to the conflict between characters, etc. The obvious exception being Bub from Day.

I just got back from the remake.

As a remake, its awful. Its not even comparable to the NotLD remake by Savini. The two Dawn films had two things in common 1) Zombies and 2) A mall.

As a zombie movie, it was watchable. There were some awful moments (which I'll post in a different spoiler thread if the demand is there). Most of the characters were weak, but Ving saved the day.

I'm slightly disappointed there wasn't any "props" to Romero. His credit of "Based on a screen play by George A. Romero" was the quickest card and they never bothered to even thank him in the credits for pretty much re-inventing the zombie genre.

[quote name='terribledeli']I just got back from the remake.

As a remake, its awful. Its not even comparable to the NotLD remake by Savini. The two Dawn films had two things in common 1) Zombies and 2) A mall.

As a zombie movie, it was watchable. There were some awful moments (which I'll post in a different spoiler thread if the demand is there). Most of the characters were weak, but Ving saved the day.

I'm slightly disappointed there wasn't any "props" to Romero. His credit of "Based on a screen play by George A. Romero" was the quickest card and they never bothered to even thank him in the credits for pretty much re-inventing the zombie genre.[/quote]

I'm interested in watching the movie, but I'm a person who likes reading about nitpicks and having movies spoiled, I really don't know why that is. You should start another thread, terribledeli, I'd read it.

bread's done
Back