Just saw Talledega Nights...

PawnTakesKing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Wow. I didn't think any of Will Ferrell's movies could stink this bad. I mean, I went into it fully expecting it to be stupid...like a funny kind of stupid...but I can't believe how disappointing it is. I was expecting the next Anchorman...perhaps something better. Overall, it barely elicited a laugh from me. The funniest parts were all shown during the previews, and there was a time during the middle of the movie I just felt like walking out.

Anyone else see this movie and feel ripped off? Or am I just being too critical?

I'm going t odownload a cam to be on the safe side, I liked anchorman, but if you say that it sucked in comparison.....and I was going to go see it, how sad. Well Clerks 2 it is.

Please explain why it was bad. Was it the story, acting, pace of the movie. Or are you a Nascar fan and didn't like how mean its being to them?

I thought the movie was hilarious. I liked Anchorman and Will Ferrel in general so maybe that's why. I know my theater was just non-stop laughing for most of the running time. Way funnier than Clerks II imo

This movie was a riot for sure

"We're going to do what all gay couples do, move to Stockholm and work on currency for cats and dogs to use"....HAHA!!!

I am a NASCAR fan and I loved the movie. I wouldn't really say they are putting down NASCAR at all. If you're a fan of Old School, Anchorman, 40 year old virgin, wedding crashers, etc. you will love this movie. If you didn't like any of those movies than stay away from Ricky Bobby because it's the same kind of humor.

SHAKE N BAKE!!!

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Wow. I didn't think any of Will Ferrell's movies could stink this bad.[/quote]

He did make Kicking & Screaming, and lest we not forget Bewitched... so at this point, yeah I'm prepared to believe that anything Will Ferrell stars in sucks. He's best when he's in the background, and you're occasionally allowed a reprieve from him. Anchorman, I think, was a fluke. Something about it worked, perhaps it was the cast around him.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']The funniest parts were all shown during the previews[/QUOTE]

So you're saying that funniest parts were Will running around in his underwear asking for help from Oprah and Tom Cruise (stupid humor thats been way overdone and won't be applicable 5 years from now). Wow, this must give Scary Movie 4 a run for its money in the "Worst comedy/movie in the past decade" award.

The part where his dad tells the kid to shut up or he'll put him in an oven was classic.

Let me preface this by saying that I love Will Ferrell and most of his movies. I was hoping for an equal to Anchorman (I love random, nonsensical humor). However, I was really disappointed. The movie was okay, but not as funny as it could've been. The French guy was mostly unfunny and the movie just seemed pieced together. I am sad that I couldn't enjoy it more, especially since I saw it for free.

My problem was that the comedy wasn't consistent. The knife scene, "we'll just use a second knife to pry it out" :rofl: was excellent. There were some other scenes that were pretty damn funny but then on the other hand there were a lot of scenes that just plain didn't work. One I can think of in particular is the scene in the bar when Ricky and the french driver first meet. That scene was boring, not funny at all, mostly worthless to the story, and way too long. The cougar scene is another one that just didn't work at all. Overall I'd say the movie was average. It was worth seeing once but I probably wouldn't see it again.

[quote name='2Fast']Let me preface this by saying that I love Will Ferrell and most of his movies. I was hoping for an equal to Anchorman (I love random, nonsensical humor). However, I was really disappointed. The movie was okay, but not as funny as it could've been. The French guy was mostly unfunny and the movie just seemed pieced together. I am sad that I couldn't enjoy it more, especially since I saw it for free.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this completely.

It was not Anchorman-caliber.

The French guy sucked and definitely could have been done without...

It was funny, but... it just wasn't the riot I thought it would be.

I think that Will Ferrell has reached a Dane Cook level at which people think everything he does is gold. Yeah, both are hilarious, but that doesn't mean I can't be objective when it comes to the movie.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Wow. I didn't think any of Will Ferrell's movies could stink this bad. I mean, I went into it fully expecting it to be stupid...like a funny kind of stupid...but I can't believe how disappointing it is. I was expecting the next Anchorman...perhaps something better. Overall, it barely elicited a laugh from me. The funniest parts were all shown during the previews, and there was a time during the middle of the movie I just felt like walking out.

Anyone else see this movie and feel ripped off? Or am I just being too critical?[/quote]

I think you are being too critical. Actually, I dont know what you are doing. this movie was hilarious. Definately one of my favorites of his. The movie was funny from start to finish. How was it not stupid funny? This movie was great, for all who haven't seen it, go see it.

[quote name='jPoD']$9.50 :/[/quote]

$6.50 How do you guys pay $9.50 for a movie? Is a gallon of milk $5 or something? fuck. Let's go get thrown out of an Applebee's. Oh, one more thing, SHAKE 'N' BAKE!

[quote name='SIUfan86']$6.50 How do you guys pay $9.50 for a movie? Is a gallon of milk $5 or something? fuck. Let's go get thrown out of an Applebee's. Oh, one more thing, SHAKE 'N' BAKE![/QUOTE]

Just depends on where you are. I saw it in Nashville at the Opry Mills Saturday night and it was $8.75.

I'm not saying that people can't have their opinions, but if you go into the movie not looking to critique it like most people seem to want to do nowadays, and not go while in a general pissy attitude, then the movie should appeal to most people. Some people won't like it and that's cool... it's got a quirky sense of humor.

Also, I can't believe no one has mentioned the Playgirl scene yet. "I spread my cheeks and everything." I was laughing so hard I was about to cry.

BTW, for those who didnt make the connection, the French guy is Ali G/Borat (cant think of his real name right now). Him and Andy Richter as a couple did hurt my head though...

[quote name='SpottedNigel']BTW, for those who didnt make the connection, the French guy is Ali G/Borat (cant think of his real name right now). Him and Andy Richter as a couple did hurt my head though...[/QUOTE] Sacha Baron Cohen.

That just reminded me that I NEED Andy Richter Controls the Universe on DVD. :cry:

Saw this movie last night at a drive-in, so it only cost me $3, but I was still disappointed. There were a few funny parts, but most of it just wasn't funny, and it's not very quotable.

[quote name='kennistond']If you have your student ID at all the theaters around here you get in for $5 or $8.50 without them.[/QUOTE]

student ID? Hell, I just say I'm a student and they give me the ticket.

I laughed at the crepes scene. I also enjoyed the little kid threatening that he would go after his grandpa "like a spider monkey." That is effective simile.

Isn't this one of those movies that's only funny after watching it 3-4 times on DVD? Like Anchorman or Napolean Dynamite?

[quote name='javeryh']Isn't this one of those movies that's only funny after watching it 3-4 times on DVD? Like Anchorman or Napolean Dynamite?[/QUOTE]

I think that's how all Will Ferrell movies are.

[quote name='SIUfan86']$6.50 How do you guys pay $9.50 for a movie? Is a gallon of milk $5 or something? fuck. Let's go get thrown out of an Applebee's. Oh, one more thing, SHAKE 'N' BAKE![/QUOTE]

Luckily my parents pay for me. $9.50 for a movie is insane. I dont really have a choice. I think the cheapest here is $8.75 or so. I have no idea how much milk is.

[quote name='javeryh']Isn't this one of those movies that's only funny after watching it 3-4 times on DVD? Like Anchorman or Napolean Dynamite?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'd say its the other way around. I think the maximum comedic affect will only be experienced on the first watching.

By the way, the best example of a Will Ferrell movie that gets better with multiple watching is Old School.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']By the way, the best example of a Will Ferrell movie that gets better with multiple watching is Old School.[/QUOTE] And that's only because he had a relatively minor role.

I saw it last night with not really any expectations. I absolutely love Anchorman but I thought the trailer for this looked pretty stupid. After watching the movie, I was not disappointed at all. It's not as good as Anchorman but it's still a damn funny movie. Probably my favorite two parts were all the commericials he's making, especially the Big Red gum one, and what he decides to call his dad.

bread's done
Back