Just scratched the hell out of my DS Lite screen.

destro713

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I had a set of Pelican screen protectors on my original DS Lite, but I had to send it in for repairs (broken R button) and they sent me a "new" refurbished machine. I had planned on getting some Hori protectors this time around, and I was actually cruising on Play-Asia as recently as yesterday thinking about placing an order, but I decided to wait because I also wanted that stylus attachment thing that Cheapy recommended and it wasn't in stock in white. What's another few days, right?

So I was playing Planet Puzzle League and getting my ass completely handed to me by one of these Japanese psychos who can trash my whole screen in about 2 seconds, and I guess a fleck of airborne debris drifted onto the tip of my stylus (Moritoys metal stylus, officially licensed) at just the right angle and at just the right instant, because I took a stroke and *FSSCHHHK*. I was playing pretty frantically at the time so I had actually taken three quick strokes before my motor reflexes caught up with the what-the-fuck reaction in my brain. Now my screen has two deep scratches that distort the light into a fairly distracting rainbow. Sigh.

On the plus side, now my screen has the battle damage to match the outer shell (I dropped the system out of my shirt pocket onto the sidewalk a few months ago). And I used a $5 off coupon found on CAG to get a new set of Pelican protectors for $1.49, ensuring that I don't get a third hideous scratch.

And if nothing else, maybe I will become a more discerning DS gamer since now a game will have to be really damn good for me to be distracted from my rainbow streaks.

ds_scratch.jpg

They're brighter in person.

[quote name='destro713']I had a set of Pelican screen protectors on my original DS Lite, but I had to send it in for repairs (broken R button) and they sent me a "new" refurbished machine. I had planned on getting some Hori protectors this time around, and I was actually cruising on Play-Asia as recently as yesterday thinking about placing an order, but I decided to wait because I also wanted that stylus attachment thing that Cheapy recommended and it wasn't in stock in white. What's another few days, right?

So I was playing Planet Puzzle League and getting my ass completely handed to me by one of these Japanese psychos who can trash my whole screen in about 2 seconds, and I guess a fleck of airborne debris drifted onto the tip of my stylus (Moritoys metal stylus, officially licensed) at just the right angle and at just the right instant, because I took a stroke and *FSSCHHHK*. I was playing pretty frantically at the time so I had actually taken three quick strokes before my motor reflexes caught up with the what-the-fuck reaction in my brain. Now my screen has two deep scratches that distort the light into a fairly distracting rainbow. Sigh.

On the plus side, now my screen has the battle damage to match the outer shell (I dropped the system out of my shirt pocket onto the sidewalk a few months ago). And I used a $5 off coupon found on CAG to get a new set of Pelican protectors for $1.49, ensuring that I don't get a third hideous scratch.

And if nothing else, maybe I will become a more discerning DS gamer since now a game will have to be really damn good for me to be distracted from my rainbow streaks.

ds_scratch.jpg

They're brighter in person.[/quote]

Now i could see the scratch...
I didnt post before cause you had the full screen shown.
Sorry to hear that.
Shield zone has this awesome line of screen protectors btw, that is if you would ever buy a new one.

Shieldzone.com

I used to endorse Shieldzone.com wholeheartedly; now I found their customer service is awful. Getting a replacement shield is much more difficult.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I used to endorse Shieldzone.com wholeheartedly; now I found their customer service is awful. Getting a replacement shield is much more difficult.[/quote]

It is?
Hmm...i only got a shield this april for my ipod..
so i wouldnt know...yet.

Sorry your system got screwed. I'm sure next time you won't play it until you have some sort of protection on it. Good lesson to learn for life in general. ;)

Reason I'm commenting, though, is that's a really fantastic picture. Your camera must have a great macro mode. What type is it?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
Reason I'm commenting, though, is that's a really fantastic picture. Your camera must have a great macro mode. What type is it?[/quote]
I wanted to ask the same thing. :lol:

Sorry about your DS Lite, at least it's only a little scratch... this thread actually scares me into wanting to buy screen protectors for my DS Lite.

Yep.

I wholeheartedly endorse the A710 IS. It's compact like the rest of the Canon A series but it also has full manual controls, 6x optical zoom and image stabilization. If you're at all familiar with the Canon line, they call it the "baby S3." Only major downside is that the flash takes forever to recharge -- like, 10 or 12 seconds sometimes. Not a problem for me because I hate (cheap) flash photography.

Anyway, I also picked up Scurge Hive for $15 with my $1.50 screen protectors and that game is played mostly on the top screen. A small victory.

The moral of my story: Unless you play your DS in a medical clean-room and you use a brand new stylus for every playing session, get a screen protector, because you never know what could happen.

that sounds awful.

i've owned my dslite since june 11 06. and i haven't used any screen protectors. i can never get the same touch sensitivity. i haven't used any other stylis then the one they gave me. but i'd like to get a longer one at some point.

[quote name='yukine']I wanted to ask the same thing. :lol:

Sorry about your DS Lite, at least it's only a little scratch... this thread actually scares me into wanting to buy screen protectors for my DS Lite.[/quote]

I actually picked up some screen protectors today because of this thread.

well worth the

Don't blame dust...I bet it was the metal stylus, officially licensed or not...but a bummer nonetheless. On the bright side, the inevitable 2nd redesign of the DS will be a much easier buy for you :)

[quote name='Pootie Thang']I have never had to replace my shieldzone protectors yet. I have one on my Macbook and one on my cell phone and they are amazing.[/quote]

And so is the one on my ipod...
that reminds me...
why the hell havent i picked one up for the DS or my PSP?

Just today I put on the screen protector that I originally got with my DS in April. I just got nintendogs from the Amazon sale and petting the dog was starting to leave little marks. I also switched to a replacement stylus, just in case.

[quote name='APE992']I don't use a protector on my DS, year old this last February and it's 100% scratch free.[/QUOTE]

Same, I've never wasted money on the protectors and never once had a problem.

Owned a DS since close to the original launch, got a DS Lite right at launch and used my DS a ton before I traded it, and my Lite is used a ton by both my gf and me, at least an hour + every day. My Mom has had her DS since close to the original launch and *only* plays stylus based games for the most part and hasn't ever come close to damaging it either.

Of course, I only use the stylus it came with, as well, and don't beat on the screen like a maniac. I think Arkay hit the nail on the head.

Roufuss, maybe this a noobish question and probably a bit off-topic but,
How do you guys have your sig image in one post and then dont have it in another?
Sometimes i see you with the image that has some guy saying " i can withstand anything, even nukes!" but then later in your posts its gone?
Im at a loss here..

You people are misunderstanding. Tie tip of the stylus is not metal. The barrel is metal.

The stylus is not the problem. I've used that stylus for almost the whole life of my DS Lite (bought a week after launch) and I beat Trauma Center with it, which is just about as frenzied as stylus gameplay gets. The problem was a piece of debris that got trapped between the tip and the soft plastic of the screen, and dragged around. This can happen with any stylus, for any device. What do you think is so special about the ones that Nintendo ships with the system? Do they sprinkle pixie dust on them that allows the tips to defy physics, or dissolves all foreign particles on contact?

[quote name='RyanTheGNR']Roufuss, maybe this a noobish question and probably a bit off-topic but,
How do you guys have your sig image in one post and then dont have it in another?
Sometimes i see you with the image that has some guy saying " i can withstand anything, even nukes!" but then later in your posts its gone?
Im at a loss here..[/quote]

Your sig is only on your first post of the page iirc.

[quote name='destro713']You people are misunderstanding. Tie tip of the stylus is not metal. The barrel is metal.

The stylus is not the problem. I've used that stylus for almost the whole life of my DS Lite (bought a week after launch) and I beat Trauma Center with it, which is just about as frenzied as stylus gameplay gets. The problem was a piece of debris that got trapped between the tip and the soft plastic of the screen, and dragged around. This can happen with any stylus, for any device. What do you think is so special about the ones that Nintendo ships with the system? Do they sprinkle pixie dust on them that allows the tips to defy physics, or dissolves all foreign particles on contact?[/quote]
Relax, you don't have to be a prick to everyone just because they think it's the stylus your using. Don't worry, I'm sure your stylus is very special. :roll:

Not trying to be a prick, but the rub of this is that I made the post so it could serve as a cautionary tale of sorts. The fact is there's absolutely nothing special about Nintendo's stylus that makes it unable to trap a piece of debris between itself and the screen. Nothing. So deciding that it was the non-first-partyness of my stylus that caused the scratch makes no sense. It would be like if you got violent food poisoning from a shady Mexican restaurant and you blamed it on the fact that you ordered an A&W with your food instead of your usual Barq's.

Sucks.

I've never put a protector on my DS Phat or DS light (had both since their respective launches) and there's no scratches visible while playing on either.

Yea, I haven't used a screen protector for any device I have ever owned. I just don't like them, Maybe It is because I was using the poor quality ones. I will once I obtain my DS Lite, though. Currently I'm using a phat, hoping to get a lite soon.

[quote name='magiic']OP isn't being a prick, get over yourselves.[/quote]
lol no kiddin'...he said nothing rude. The people posting were more rude in a somewhat subtle way. But ya that scratch is awful, looks about as bad as my screen protector but worse yet (I got a few of them on that protector...it scratches super easy but ... well... its a protector so I dont care xD). I think you'll still be able to play fine with it, just get a screen protector first. (Still shocked how you managed to get that big a scratch o_O)

bread's done
Back