Katamari Forever - Gen. Discussion & Info - Out 9/23

I preordered at Amazon with gold box quick pick discount + ECA + a $30 code from the trade-in program so it is pretty dirt cheap for me when it's all said and done. Otherwise I may have held off as well as the last one got so cheap after a fairly short time (though now it is back up again in value - go figure).

I'm just hoping this is one of those rare games I can actually get a platinum trophy in since I find the vast majority of them simply impossible. So the pursuit of that ought to keep me busy for a while.

So, according to Amazon this comes out Sept 16th! Wow - I thought it was another week away (when I'll be out of town). So hopefully they ship it to me fairly quickly (I do have Prime) so I can put some time into it before my trip.

I was a bit bothered by the seemingly unstable frame rate in the demo. I hope that isn't an issue with the full game. And also, while the watering level was unique, the other one was a carbon copy from the other games - I didn't see a single difference there. That's OK as long as the vast majority of the game isn't like that.

By the way, here's my rather sweet looking invoice from Amazon (was just on to verify the shipping method - unfortunately no release-day shipping on this one so it is going 2-day - hopefully I have it on Friday then!):

Item(s) Subtotal: $46.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Gold Box Discount: -$2.35
Promotion Applied: -$4.70
Promotion Applied: -$30.00
-----
Total Before Tax: $9.94
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Gift Certificate/Card Amount: $9.94

So after gold box + ECA I was only paying $39.94 anyway and then my $30 off code from the trade-in program knocked it down to just about $10 of my trade-in credit (and considering that the trade-in credit and associated $30 promo code pretty much came from my GS credit, it's like I ordered it from GS for $10 ;)).

This looks great, but I read there are very few unique levels. Almost all of the levels are copied from the previous four games in the series.

[quote name='io']
I'm just hoping this is one of those rare games I can actually get a platinum trophy in since I find the vast majority of them simply impossible. So the pursuit of that ought to keep me busy for a while.
[/QUOTE]

why you put your kids to work? for example, if you had a daughter, get her to help with the hanna montana.

[quote name='xdl']This looks great, but I read there are very few unique levels. Almost all of the levels are copied from the previous four games in the series.[/QUOTE]

That's why it's called Tribute in Japan, as it's meant to be a sort of compilation of all the past games in the series. There are some new stages and the addition of things such as the graphics filters, but overall you're getting a mix of new and old.

[quote name='io'] So, according to Amazon this comes out Sept 16th! Wow - I thought it was another week away (when I'll be out of town). So hopefully they ship it to me fairly quickly (I do have Prime) so I can put some time into it before my trip.[/QUOTE]
Amazon says the 16th but everywhere else has it lasted as the 22nd. And for some reason If I choose 2 day shipping amazon says it will arrive at my house on..the 21st(It would arrive on the 18th if I do one day).

[quote name='xdl']this looks great, but i read there are very few unique levels. Almost all of the levels are copied from the previous four games in the series.[/quote]

no more cowbear

no more cowbear

please don't make us do cowbear again

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Amazon says the 16th but everywhere else has it lasted as the 22nd. And for some reason If I choose 2 day shipping amazon says it will arrive at my house on..the 21st(It would arrive on the 18th if I do one day).[/QUOTE]

Well, damn, the 21st is no good since I'm out of town next week :cry:.

I paid off the game at GS today and the clerk said the games release date was pushed up to the 18th. The clerk has been very reliable in the past so I see no reason to doubt that the game will be released before the 22nd.

I dunno, my Amazon order pages says this:

Not Yet Shipped:
1 item - delivery estimate: September 25, 2009

and that's with 2-day shipping. Hopefully it goes out on the 16th, though, via 2-day shipping so I can play it this weekend before my trip! Otherwise I guess I'll just have to settle for playing Scribblenauts and Mario & Luigi ;).

I loved the demo... I have mixed feelings about the drawn(lines) type graphics. Looks nice. I loved the new songs... I really loved the original Katamari Damacy soundtrack...

So gamestop texted my wife saying the game is coming out today which makes sense for the people who said their amazon one ships or should be recieved today. Plan to call GS on the way home from work.

Well, I couldn't resist - picked it up at GS today and got a Katamari cell phone charm to boot! It is the prince and supposedly it lights up when your phone rings. I dunno if how that works - it's on my desk now. I'm about to go and play the game with my 6 year-old Katamari fan. I just couldn't wait for the Amazon preorder to come in since I'm going out of town all of next week. Now I get some quality gaming time with my son before I leave (and it will keep him busy and out of his mother's hair while I'm gone ;)).

:bouncy:

Edit: My son's done playing for the night. The good news is that I don't seem to notice the slowdown that the demo had. So that's good. Otherwise, though, the levels we've played have all been old ones. I read one review where it said the robot king gave you new levels and the memory-challenged regular king gave you old ones (to regain his memory). This is not true - the robot king has given us levels from Beautiful Katamari so maybe the reviewer never played that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my, I thought this game was going to be a 14.99 - 19.99 downloadable title.. lol Its fuckin 49.99... I'm sorry, but the original Katamari was only 19.99. WTF... Looks like I'm going to have to wait till this game gets down to the T96SRP.

The original Katamari was $29.99 on release. I'm really not sure what's going to happen with this one. The Katamari games got really pricey for a short time there until they were reprinted.

My wife loves these games in any case, so we just picked up a copy from Gamestop and cancelled the Amazon preorder.

[quote name='thelonepig']The original Katamari was $29.99 on release.[/QUOTE]

No, it was $19.99 when it first came out (IGN's review of the game mentions it). It was We Love Katamari that upped the price to $29.99 when it first came out.

Sinistar. Yes, there are Hone items. In fact, it's got the coolest Home item EVER!!

The Prince himself sits on your shoulder.

[quote name='dallow']Sinistar. Yes, there are Hone items. In fact, it's got the coolest Home item EVER!!

The Prince himself sits on your shoulder.
[/QUOTE]

You don't even need the game to get those two tshirts. They have been in home way before the JP demo came out.

[quote name='dallow']Wait, so they're in the Japanese mall or something?[/QUOTE]

It's in one of the stores in the mall on the US home. It's free, and one for both male and female.

[quote name='Rockgamer']No, it was $19.99 when it first came out (IGN's review of the game mentions it). It was We Love Katamari that upped the price to $29.99 when it first came out.[/QUOTE]

Mayhaps it was the reprint that was $29.99? Or it could have just been scalpers once the game stopped being printed the first time around. Or I may just be thinking about We Love Katamari. In any case, I stand corrected. :D

[quote name='knightsdwn']I paid off the game at GS today and the clerk said the games release date was pushed up to the 18th.[/QUOTE]

*sitting at 62nd in line for the queue of the game at Goozex

*sigh*

Well, this game is much bigger than Beautiful Katamari for one thing - WAY more levels (even though most seem to be from We Love Katamari). If the little spiral things under each king (regular and robo) fill up completely with levels then there are a massive amount, actually. (Though I'm worried that there are spots on there saved for DLC).

Also, the game seems much harder. I seem to be having problems getting any sort of decent score. Part of it is that I'm out of practice. But I also think they upped the score/time requirements because of the two changes they made. You can now jump, and there is a suction power-up (you run into it and it vacuums up any nearby eligible objects). I'm afraid that any speed runs or 100 score runs will need to be modiifed to incorporate perrfectly timed use of these things, in addition to the perfect path/timing required already.

[quote name='Rockgamer']No, it was $19.99 when it first came out (IGN's review of the game mentions it). It was We Love Katamari that upped the price to $29.99 when it first came out.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the confirmation.... damn... 19.99 /29.99 to now 49.99 that's one hell of a markup... I love Katmari, but I love it for being a simple fun and CHEAP game.

thanks for the confirmation.... damn... 19.99 /29.99 to now 49.99 that's one hell of a markup... I love Katamari, but I love it for being a simple fun and CHEAP game. I'd pay 49.99 if the game came with a Katamari Plush figure or something.

The game is indded pretty hard but then again I had a few problems with Beautiful Katamari too. At the moon for the Robo king. Will probably play the game on and off a lot as I have with the other Katamari's especially after I beat it. the lose minigame trophy is looking to be pretty hard I have about 30k currently before dying. Overall pretty satisfied with it and my wife loves the phone trinket she got with the pre-order from GS.

Yes, I will be buying Katamari Forever this week. I traded in MLB '09: The Show and several DVDs to cover some of it, plus I have a $10 coupon from Microplay. I haven't played a KD game since Beautiful Katamari on the 360. I could use an appetizer of a game while I wait for the big October 3 of Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time. The Japanese demo was very good. Can't wait.

[quote name='io']Well, this game is much bigger than Beautiful Katamari for one thing - WAY more levels (even though most seem to be from We Love Katamari). If the little spiral things under each king (regular and robo) fill up completely with levels then there are a massive amount, actually. (Though I'm worried that there are spots on there saved for DLC).[/QUOTE]

It's good to hear that it's bigger than BK. Never played WLK so I they'll be new to me. Hopefully the DLC is reasonable.

[quote name='io']Well, this game is much bigger than Beautiful Katamari for one thing - WAY more levels (even though most seem to be from We Love Katamari). If the little spiral things under each king (regular and robo) fill up completely with levels then there are a massive amount, actually. (Though I'm worried that there are spots on there saved for DLC).

[/QUOTE]

I think if there is DLC it will be on another part all together as mine is totally full and I beat it tonight. Great game now time to replay it in the other modes.:bouncy:

I have been playing it since Friday, and there are 30 or so levels total. Much much bigger than BK.

I beat it and have been slowly working my way through modessince then. I've noticed the increase in difficulty also, although I have had several 120s on first tries, so it seems to fluctuate pretty dramatically.

Hardest mode on most levels for me seems to be regular with jump etc enabled, drive mode and classic are much easier in comparison.

84% collection so far, I will probably take a lot longer as I won't be doing 8+ hour days like I did with BK.

I played the Demo for this game and was completely underwhelmed. I don't really know what I was expecting, though. I played through the first PS2 title and enjoyed it, but it was never something I went back to.

[quote name='bjstucker']I think if there is DLC it will be on another part all together as mine is totally full and I beat it tonight. Great game now time to replay it in the other modes.:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hohez']I have been playing it since Friday, and there are 30 or so levels total. Much much bigger than BK.

I beat it and have been slowly working my way through modessince then. I've noticed the increase in difficulty also, although I have had several 120s on first tries, so it seems to fluctuate pretty dramatically.

Hardest mode on most levels for me seems to be regular with jump etc enabled, drive mode and classic are much easier in comparison.

84% collection so far, I will probably take a lot longer as I won't be doing 8+ hour days like I did with BK.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... 30 levels doesn't seem like it would come close to filling up the spirals based on what I've seen. Does it only fill up the fronts of them? I mean, I've unlocked all 5 jumbomen movies and all but 1 of the king ones and I'm not nearly full yet. I'd say there's room for at least 30 in EACH section (king and robo-king).

Also, how do you get to the other modes - have to complete it first?

As for the 120s, meh - I have only been able to get a couple of 100's. I am getting so many horrible scores (20s, 30s) that really weren't even possible in the other games. I didn't realize you could disable jump (and I assume the "sucking" powerups too?). I figured they made the score levels much higher because of those two things and I haven't figured out how to maximize them yet.

I also don't think I'll ever be able to get 50,000 or whatever on the rock minigame (when you fail). I can get to about 20K. It would suck if that was the only thing to keep me from getting a platinum trophy :bomb:.

[quote name='io']Hmmm... 30 levels doesn't seem like it would come close to filling up the spirals based on what I've seen. Does it only fill up the fronts of them? I mean, I've unlocked all 5 jumbomen movies and all but 1 of the king ones and I'm not nearly full yet. I'd say there's room for at least 30 in EACH section (king and robo-king).

Also, how do you get to the other modes - have to complete it first?

As for the 120s, meh - I have only been able to get a couple of 100's. I am getting so many horrible scores (20s, 30s) that really weren't even possible in the other games. I didn't realize you could disable jump (and I assume the "sucking" powerups too?). I figured they made the score levels much higher because of those two things and I haven't figured out how to maximize them yet.

I also don't think I'll ever be able to get 50,000 or whatever on the rock minigame (when you fail). I can get to about 20K. It would suck if that was the only thing to keep me from getting a platinum trophy :bomb:.[/QUOTE]

yea just the fronts. You have to beat the game then you get a new mode then you beat that one and you get the other 2 (or atleast I did on the first level)

the rock mini-game is a pain in the ass, my best score so far has been somewhere around 28k, I usually completely screw up at the start then last a while small but eventually foul up again.

And talk about low scores, the level I got an 8 on made me ashamed.

Anyone else seem to notice with this new jumping mechanic, that rolling up and over big structures is a LOT harder? I have noticed even small steps in front of me stop me a lot. I wish jumping was pressure sensitive or something, because 95% of the time I don't feel like launching half way into the sky only to miss and then bounce 8 times before i can 180.

Have fun Scorch - I've been playing it all weekend.

So, about that punishment mini-game - my son beat it while I was out of town. He's 6 years old and in first grade. He got like 65K on it and can't really explain how he did it. Best I can do is about 30K :lol:. I haven't really tried that much though.

I'm making my way through the eternal/classic modes now. It seems pretty random how you unlock both of those modes. Are there all 4 for every level (except the tutorial of course)? Because it seems like I have some damn good scores on a couple of levels in both "Forever" and "Drive" mode and yet don't have anything else unlocked.

I can't stop listening to the soundtrack for this game. I love all the Katamari music and having listened to all of them over the years, the rearrangements and remixes that are in this game are the most amazing fan service ever. Add the music in with the new graphic filters and even some new stuff in the game, and it's a classic for me. Very happy with the game!

God i loved katamari on the ps2. the first time i played it i was like lolwut but its just so fun! i think im just gonna go for this one. $35 on amazon is pretty decent for a brand new title.

[quote name='io']So, about that punishment mini-game - my son beat it while I was out of town. He's 6 years old and in first grade. He got like 65K on it and can't really explain how he did it. Best I can do is about 30K :lol:. I haven't really tried that much though.

I'm making my way through the eternal/classic modes now. It seems pretty random how you unlock both of those modes. Are there all 4 for every level (except the tutorial of course)? Because it seems like I have some damn good scores on a couple of levels in both "Forever" and "Drive" mode and yet don't have anything else unlocked.[/QUOTE]

For the punishment mini-game, it just takes a bit of trial and error. The direction that the rocks are shot are somewhat random, so you may get lucky sometimes and have them mostly be shot to one side. I spent probably about 15 minutes on it last night and was eventually able to get a score of 60k~.

I'm not exactly sure what unlocks eternal mode. I know I've 120'd a couple of levels and it still hasn't shown up yet I've gotten 60-80 on others and unlocked it. Maybe it's random?

Just completed all of the Katamari Forever modes last night with 86% items in my collection. I still need to go back and get 80% prizes/cousins, but I figure I can do that while running through Katamari Drive mode.

bread's done
Back