Katrina looters get 15 years in prison. That's not a typo!!

captaincold

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
KENNER, Louisiana (AP) -- Three people convicted of hauling away liquor, wine and beer from a grocery store after Hurricane Katrina were sentenced Wednesday to 15 years in prison.

The judge said he wanted to send a message that looting would not be tolerated when he gave the maximum sentence to Coralnelle Little, 36, Rhonda McGowen, 42, and Paul C. Pearson, 36, all of Kenner.

A jury convicted the trio May 2 on a portion of the state's looting law that took effect two weeks before the Aug. 29 storm. The amended law set a three-year minimum sentence, and a maximum of 15 years in prison, for looting during a declared state of emergency.

They were convicted of attempting to leave the grocery with 27 bottles of liquor and wine, six cases of beer and one case of wine coolers, six days after Katrina made landfall.

Little, McGowen and Pearson each testified that they were not looting, but they offered conflicting accounts of matters such as who drove to the store.

Pearson's attorney, Bruce Netterville, said the sentence and conviction would be appealed.

"We believe the sentence is excessive," said Netterville.

Attorneys for the other defendants agreed.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/29/looters.sentenced.ap/index.html

when are they goin to arrest the white collar criminals that have taken advantage of Katrina? A couple hundred dollars in stuff or tens of thousands in money to fix things when its still hell down there and there is no trace of the cash.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I hope hes not. They deserve it.[/QUOTE]

You do know that child molesters,rapist etc.. get LESS time don't you?

I don't see why I should be sarcastic. They broke the law. Maybe 15 years is a bit excessive, but they knew the law. They just made harsher laws previous to them breaking the laws so they should have known it was extra bad.

Breaking the law, is breaking the law. Now if it were for necessity, then I could excuse it. But you don't need a shitload of alcohol to survive. That's just stealing for the sake of stealing. It will actually hurt them because it will dehydrate them causing them to use (and probably loot) more resources than otherwise would be necessary.

The owner of that liquor store has a family to feed too. Insurance companies shouldn't be ripped off and have to pay for someone looting non-essential items because people wanted to get drunk on free booze.

[quote name='captaincold']You do know that child molesters,rapist etc.. get LESS time don't you?[/QUOTE]
I don't think that was an "Awesome, they got more jail time than a child molester!" I think it was an "Awesome, dumbasses got a lot of jail time." Your argument would be better served saying "I hope that judge starts issuing maximum sentences to child molesters now."

[quote name='captaincold']You do know that child molesters,rapist etc.. get LESS time don't you?[/quote]
Then make the argument that those kinds of people need more time instead of other criminals getting off easier.

And typically, no, they don't get off easier.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']I don't see why I should be sarcastic. They broke the law. Maybe 15 years is a bit excessive, but they knew the law. They just made harsher laws previous to them breaking the laws so they should have known it was extra bad.

Breaking the law, is breaking the law. Now if it were for necessity, then I could excuse it. But you don't need a shitload of alcohol to survive. That's just stealing for the sake of stealing. It will actually hurt them because it will dehydrate them causing them to use (and probably loot) more resources than otherwise would be necessary.

The owner of that liquor store has a family to feed too. Insurance companies shouldn't be ripped off and have to pay for someone looting non-essential items because people wanted to get drunk on free booze.[/QUOTE]

Dude, i understand what your saying. I was born in Alabama and have family in Florida that experienced looting . No lie, someone stole my uncles pool table during a hurricane.

My problem is how can you give looters 15 years but rapist's,etc.. don't even get half of that!! There's something wrong with that picture.

The law system is fucked up anyway, they'll get like a year...but they don't deserve 15 considering worse crimes get shorter sentences, like captaincold wrote.

image20na.jpg

[quote name='captaincold']Dude, i understand what your saying. I was born in Alabama and have family in Florida that experienced looting . No lie, someone stole my uncles pool table during a hurricane.

My problem is how can you give looters 15 years but rapist's,etc.. don't even get half of that!! There's something wrong with that picture.[/quote]
Rapists get less than that in AL?

According to rape laws that I've read in AL, rape is a Class A felony. That's the most serious kind, and in most states that means that there is no limitation as to how many years they get. (Typically no more than 100, though)

In other states they could get serious consideration for the death penalty.

This isn't exactly true for the 15 year prison sentence guys.

There are also the big aggravating factor of it was during a declard emergency situation. People need to be working together to live and shouldn't have to worry about getting robbed while trying to survive. This is obviously a huge concern for the hurricane victims who can't stand to lose much more than they already did. That's why such measures were put into place, because their local legislatures got the message that this is what the people want.

We also don't know if these people had other criminal backgrounds that increased their sentencing or not.

You know what, that just sucks. I don't know those people, they may be real shitheads, but unless they had a long list of priors, this sentence was way too excessive. People are victims of circumstance, but yeah, these guys made a stupid mistake and will have to suffer the consequences.

Not that it matters anyway... they will be out on probation within two years most likely.

[quote name='iheartmetal']
image20na.jpg
[/QUOTE]

George Bush doesn't care about black people.

That sentence is fucking rediculous. Stealing booze =/= (i.e. does not equal) worse than rape.

image20na.jpg
[/QUOTE]Does this mean they're going to enhance these photos and put their pictures on wanted posters? I mean, if looting is a 15 year offense...

I didn't see it in the CNN story but does anyone know if these three are white or black? Based on the story itself not mentioning race, the Louisana judge "sending a message" and the 15 years, I'd guess black.

Also, you have to figure that if they were white and typical southern rednecks, they would have swiped more than 6 cases of beer instead of loading up on the wine/liquor.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']Rapists get less than that in AL?

According to rape laws that I've read in AL, rape is a Class A felony. That's the most serious kind, and in most states that means that there is no limitation as to how many years they get. (Typically no more than 100, though)

In other states they could get serious consideration for the death penalty.

This isn't exactly true for the 15 year prison sentence guys.[/QUOTE]

I don't live in Alabama now, i live in Washington state but, it's a known fact around the USA that the majority of Sexual convictions never result in 15 year sentences. Most are out of prison within 3-5 years.

But, at the end of the day we can all agree that prison's in this country are overcrowded and to make room for these looters, they're forced to let some other prisoners free.

It's a bit ridiculous (the sentence), but so is looting that much alcohol during a crisis.

I don't feel bad for them, but as someone mentioned earlier, I wish white collar mothafuckas involved in shit like that would get a similar harsh sentence. But that's just me dreaming.

good that they are going to jail but 15 years is way too much. fucking idiots looting beer and such... if your gonna loot, loot things like bottled water, medical supplies, canned foods, not fucking beer. I really hate it when the basic civil services break down and everyone loots there fucken city instead of helping each other, but nooooooo they ask for help and still keep on pundering there city.

[quote name='dastly75']so is looting during a hurricane less time than raping during a hurricane[/quote]
fuck no.

I heard about that shit happening at the superdome...that fucking pissed me off. Not that other times are any less worse. Those bastards need to be fucking publicly hung by a large fishing hook by their fucking balls until they die of blood loss.

I like the "sending a message" part, but 15 years is excessive IMO.

I mean, what if they changed "liquor" to "mp3s" - I'm sure many here would change their self-rightous tune in a second.

I'd love them to get the cops who stole the parking lot full of Chevies - those bastards deserve the 15-year sentence (even though they'll never get it...).

[quote name='GuyWithGun']fuck no.

I heard about that shit happening at the superdome...that fucking pissed me off. Not that other times are any less worse. Those bastards need to be fucking publicly hung by a large fishing hook by their fucking balls until they die of blood loss.[/quote]

"Here I am!! Rape you in a Hurricane!"

[quote name='camoor']I like the "sending a message" part, but 15 years is excessive IMO.

I mean, what if they changed "liquor" to "mp3s" - I'm sure many here would change their self-rightous tune in a second.

I'd love them to get the cops who stole the parking lot full of Chevies - those bastards deserve the 15-year sentence (even though they'll never get it...).[/QUOTE]

I'd say like anywhere from 6 months to 5 years would of sufficed, depending on what was looted.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']fuck no.

I heard about that shit happening at the superdome...that fucking pissed me off. Not that other times are any less worse. Those bastards need to be fucking publicly hung by a large fishing hook by their fucking balls until they die of blood loss.[/quote]

Actually, it turned out that most, if not all, of those cases reported in the media turned out to be rumors that were going around. It turned out there were no armed gangs, baby rapists, etc. in the Superdome. It was just the reporters getting wrapped in the heightened emotions of a crisis situation.

It's fucked up that those people got 15 years. I always hate it when a judge's rationale for a sentence is "I want to send a message," basically saying it's an unfair sentence, but I want to abuse my position so that I can get my voice heard. Ridiculous.

[quote name='mbstuff']Actually, it turned out that most, if not all, of those cases reported in the media turned out to be rumors that were going around. It turned out there were no armed gangs, baby rapists, etc. in the Superdome. It was just the reporters getting wrapped in the heightened emotions of a crisis situation.

It's fucked up that those people got 15 years. I always hate it when a judge's rationale for a sentence is "I want to send a message," basically saying it's an unfair sentence, but I want to abuse my position so that I can get my voice heard. Ridiculous.[/quote]
Well, if it's within the scope of the law, then according to the state of Louisiana, it's fair and justified and he's not really sending a message at all. Each state makes their own laws and punishments and decide themselves what's fair. The constituents of that state technically should know the laws as they are public knowledge. If a person doesn't like the laws, they can move.

So theoretically they accepted the risk of that full sentence before they committed the crime.

So why it may sound ridiculous for us that don't live in that state/community, it may be the most rational thing they've ever heard and voted on. It's not up for people to judge the laws in other states...we don't live there. Kind of like the whole gay marriage legal in one state and illegal in another. It's up to the people that live in that state to decide which laws are crazy and which are important to them.

[quote name='captaincold']KENNER, Louisiana (AP) -- Three people convicted of hauling away liquor, wine and beer from a grocery store after Hurricane Katrina were sentenced Wednesday to 15 years in prison.

The judge said he wanted to send a message that looting would not be tolerated when he gave the maximum sentence to Coralnelle Little, 36, Rhonda McGowen, 42, and Paul C. Pearson, 36, all of Kenner.

A jury convicted the trio May 2 on a portion of the state's looting law that took effect two weeks before the Aug. 29 storm. The amended law set a three-year minimum sentence, and a maximum of 15 years in prison, for looting during a declared state of emergency.

They were convicted of attempting to leave the grocery with 27 bottles of liquor and wine, six cases of beer and one case of wine coolers, six days after Katrina made landfall.

Little, McGowen and Pearson each testified that they were not looting, but they offered conflicting accounts of matters such as who drove to the store.

Pearson's attorney, Bruce Netterville, said the sentence and conviction would be appealed.

"We believe the sentence is excessive," said Netterville.

Attorneys for the other defendants agreed.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/29/looters.sentenced.ap/index.html[/quote]

That sucks that only 3 people were convicted. I'm sure there will be more convictions, but it's unfair that only a few people are punished while many still get away with worse crimes.

I think most people can agree on certain key points from this thread:

1. "Looting" during a hurrucane is understandable if there are extreme circumstances. Bread, clean water, canned goods? All ok because they're basic needs of survival. I could even understand, batteries, matches, basic radios, etc. Stuff like TV's, jewelery, alcohol (except if used for medical reasons), and so on. Stupid.

2. 15 years is honestly too harsh, but the message is understood.

3. Child molesters, rapists, white collar criminals, etc. need harsher sentences.

And I totally saw those looting/finding pics on Mind of Mencia months ago... but still funny nonetheless.

image20na.jpg
[/quote]

The word "finding" does feel a bit forced, but does everything have to be about race? From the pictures, it does appear that the guy in the first pic has a large bag full of stuff, while the lady in the second pic is carrying only the 2 loaves of bread. Yes, she has a packback full of stuff that could be stolen, while the bag the first guy is carrying could very well contain his only possessions in the world in a way that would keep them dry. It could also be the case that two different people wrote those captions, so no bias or racism was intended. But I think that a reasonable person could jump to the conclusions that the first guy has way more than just basic food to survive for the day in his bag, while the lady only took a minimal amount of bread to survive. Those conclusions could be wrong, but it is an even bigger jump to say that it is automatically the result of racism that the pictures were interpretted differently by the reporter/editor who captioned them.

i Say they should of got 50 years. hell in some places they would of got their hands chopped off for stealing , they should be happy they only got 15 years.

They did need the booze to live its not like bread. AND WHAT THE HELL MAKES THEM SO #$#$# SPECIAL

im sick of hearing about it. Look at the flooding around Penn and New york . Do you see these people getting 2000 gift cards HELL NO

and later this year when another hurricane hits that city they will be once out in the streets with their hands out... #$#$# them , they act like they are the only town that got hit. HOW ABOUT ALABAMA and Mississippi towns that got basted off the map, No we dont got time to feel sorry for them cause all the money has to go to
new orleans

and the women with the bread. Why the hell is she pulling it behind her in the water. Its bread its not like it weights 4000 pounds.

[quote name='soonersfan60']The word "finding" does feel a bit forced, but does everything have to be about race? From the pictures, it does appear that the guy in the first pic has a large bag full of stuff, while the lady in the second pic is carrying only the 2 loaves of bread. Yes, she has a packback full of stuff that could be stolen, while the bag the first guy is carrying could very well contain his only possessions in the world in a way that would keep them dry. It could also be the case that two different people wrote those captions, so no bias or racism was intended. But I think that a reasonable person could jump to the conclusions that the first guy has way more than just basic food to survive for the day in his bag, while the lady only took a minimal amount of bread to survive. Those conclusions could be wrong, but it is an even bigger jump to say that it is automatically the result of racism that the pictures were interpretted differently by the reporter/editor who captioned them.[/QUOTE]
Or the first guy could have been seen stuffing his bag with everything he could find in a store while the girl in the bottom could have been seen grabbing up two loaves of bread that were floating around outside a store. No one knows what the context is.

bread's done
Back