Katrina victim sues U.S. for $3 quadrillion

That's a lot of scratch. Hopefully, this case will get tossed.

"The trauma these people have undergone is unlike anything that has occurred in the history of our country."

What about the stock market crash of 1929? That shit affected the entire nation!

The great Chicago fire? That was pretty messed up, too.

Great San Francisco earth quake/fire of 1906, anyone?

Dust bowl of the 1930's?

"I understand the anger," Scott said. "I also understand it's a negotiating tactic: Aim high and negotiate down."

Ah-ha!..The ol' $3 quadrillion negotiation ploy. Better hope the other guy hasn't studied the $Infinity tatic. Or worse yet the uber-advanced $Infinity+1

[quote name='klwillis45']"I understand the anger," Scott said. "I also understand it's a negotiating tactic: Aim high and negotiate down."

Ah-ha!..The ol' $3 quadrillion negotiation ploy. Better hope the other guy hasn't studied the $Infinity tatic. Or worse yet the uber-advanced $Infinity+1[/quote]

Sheeeeeeeit. I'm gonna use that one the next time I'm up for a pay increase, or when interviewing for a new job.:D

[quote name='lionheart4life']I guess people risking their lives to save you and rebuilding your entire city for free isn't enough anymore?[/quote]

Right you are, Ken.

"Little is known about the person who claimed $3 quadrillion. It was filed in Baker, 93 miles northwest of New Orleans. Baker is far from the epicenter of Katrina's destruction, but the city has a trailer park where hundreds of evacuees have lived since the storm."

Trailer park in Baker before and after the storm. Apparently, a house on wheels is worth $3 quadrillion dollars, now. In that case, I live in TN, so we just became the world leader in property value.

[quote name='Sideshow'] In that case, I live in TN, so we just became the world leader in property value.[/quote]

Sell, sell, sell!!!

Correct me if my learnings in high school history/government/econ are a little rusty, but I thought the government was exempt from outright lawsuits. Granted this may not be a lawsuit but a "claim" of some sort, but I'm pretty sure you can't suit the government.

Technicalities aside... $3 quadrillion? wtf? Best case scenario... your case gets thrown out and we laugh at you. Worst case scenario... you win the case, the government sets you up with your own money printing press and the entire economy gets thrown into turmoil as the value of the $1 drops below the level of worthless. Sure, you're a quadrillionaire... but my seashell collection is now worth more than your printing press.

[quote name='lionheart4life']I guess people risking their lives to save you and rebuilding your entire city for free isn't enough anymore?[/QUOTE]

MUCH of New Orleans is still a disaster zone, completely uninhabitable. These people have every right to be pissed at our government. I was working at the White House when Katrina hit. It was absolutely dumbfounding to see the lack of response I witnessed. No, shameful is more like it.

Don't be so quick to judge others if you haven't walked a mile in their shoes.

[quote name='daphatty']MUCH of New Orleans is still a disaster zone, completely uninhabitable. These people have every right to be pissed at our government. I was working at the White House when Katrina hit. It was absolutely dumbfounding to see the lack of response I witnessed. No, shameful is more like it.

Don't be so quick to judge others if you haven't walked a mile in their shoes.[/quote]Brownie?:lol:;)

[quote name='daphatty']MUCH of New Orleans is still a disaster zone, completely uninhabitable. These people have every right to be pissed at our government. I was working at the White House when Katrina hit. It was absolutely dumbfounding to see the lack of response I witnessed. No, shameful is more like it.

Don't be so quick to judge others if you haven't walked a mile in their shoes.[/quote]

i completely agree, but dont you think 3 quadrillion dollars is too much? Thats more than our National Debt!

LOL Heres something i saw on the Daily Show a while back:
what_the_2.gif

This is the actual chart for
how FEMA handles disasters (like Katrina). The cycle starts at Disaster, then response, recovery, mitigation, risk reduction, prevention and preparedness.

but the chart doesn't end there. The geniuses at FEMA made the chart so it ENDS IN DISASTER!

I live in Louisiana and had a number of evacuees take my classes. Now I know the federal gov't screwed up, actually costing some lives in the process, but many of the people that couldn't leave were left behind by their city and state gov't. Go to the Superdome... stupid. The city had weel over a dozen buses that they did not use. The state diod not ask for help soon enough or at all in some cases. My parents drove down to see us the day after the hurricane hit and they were passed by the Wisonsin Army Reserve on their way to New Orleans... impressive.... especially since our Governor, Blanco, never asked Wisconsin for help. It took a smart governor from 1000 miles away to realize that help was needed.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm surprised that somebody this stupid even knows what a quadrillion is.[/quote]

Probably just made it up and got lucky.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']i completely agree, but dont you think 3 quadrillion dollars is too much?[/QUOTE]

Actually, yes I do. But I also understand why they came up with such an extreme number. Think about it. Hurricane Katrina was a disaster of epic proportions, yet our government failed to respond to the disaster. If a freakin natural disaster doesn't get our governments attention then what will?

A disaster to the wallet.

Smart people move on, knowing that the govt isn't going to bail you out and you have to do that yourself.

Dumb people wait for a handout or play the lawsuit lottery.

[quote name='lionheart4life']I guess people risking their lives to save you and rebuilding your entire city for free isn't enough anymore?[/quote]

the people in this city that actually care about the future of new orleans thank every single person that has helped or contributed to us in any way shape or form, but sadly some of the people here are dumbasses that are giving us a bad name and not helping out with anything. And please, dont listen to the news. The 9th ward was NOT the only fucking place here that flooded. EVERYONE flooded except for a tiny part by the river. This place is still a gigantic mess.

I want to see some actual PROOF that this person or persons could actually generate or be worth any amount even REMOTELY close to 1 million, let alone 3 quadrillion.

A fail of epic and genetic proportions.

~HotShotX

$3,000,000,000,000,000.00

Just wanted everyone to see what 3 Quadrillion looks like.

Personally, why didn't they just go for 3 Duodecillion Dollars

($3,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00)

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']" A stack of one quadrillion pennies would reach Saturn."

Nice job, unknown AP writer![/quote]

That's what we should focus on... getting a man to Saturn. Hell let's send some this person.

Suing the government for natural disasters is only going to hurt it even more. Yes I agree our governments failed them but they target the Federal government when the city/State side of government failed the people worse.

I believe that the government would do well and good to provide any relief possible to the people down there, but at the same time beleive that only so much can be done and leads to these silly lawsuits.

Don't be so quick to judge others if you haven't walked a mile in their shoes.[/QUOTE]

I have friends who have volunteered to go to New Orleans over spring break the last few years to help rebuild things and have raised money and even paid for part of their own trip. Are you telling me that these people think efforts like this aren't good enough and are justified in thinking this? Granted they are suing the government and its well documented that our government was slow to respond, but they also could say tough shit, you should have had insurance. Its just not possible to rebuild everyone's home and community instantly unfortunately.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm surprised that somebody this stupid even knows what a quadrillion is.[/quote]
The person probably doesn't. They probably just thought it sounded funny:

"Lessee, durr....QUADRILLION!!!!!!!!!1!1!!! THAT'S FUNNIES LOLOLOLCAT!"

Don't be so quick to judge others if you haven't walked a mile in their shoes.[/quote]

where were all the pissed off people when they were voting down tax increases to replace the levies?

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']That's what we should focus on... getting a man to Saturn. Hell let's send some this person.[/quote]

We should focus on building a tower of pennies to saturn

that would Be badass

bread's done
Back