Keep Backwards Compatible PS3?

jthiel

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,

My buddy gave me his broken backwards compatible ps3. I called sony and they will either do 120 dollars + shipping for a Refurb 120gig console or they said they would fix my ps3 for 150 dollars.

I am getting down to the wire as I already called in and did the 120 gig refurb...however I am having second thoughts as I don't want to lose the backwards compatability for some reason so I am contemplating calling sony and asking them what exactly do they do to "fix" my ps3 and spend the extra change to get it fixed.

Have the box here at the house...just waiting to ship it out.

It has the YLOD at the moment :cry:

Have you checked for options to repairing it yourself? From what I've heard most of the time the YLOD is easy to repair if you're so inclined.

[quote name='erequena']Have you checked for options to repairing it yourself? From what I've heard most of the time the YLOD is easy to repair if you're so inclined.[/QUOTE]

I have actually redone the "reflow" myself...worked for 3 months then one day the girlfriend or roomate left it on after watching a movie...i guess on for too long will heat up quick and it hasn't turned on since.

I know I can even get a bigger hard drive so size of drive is not a big deal..its just the fact that if I have them fix it...how long will that fix be warrantied for and will they fix it or give me another refurbished 60gb unit?

its easy to fix the ylod but its a temp fix because in time it will ylod again. bc is only a big deal if you plan on using it if not then just fix it and trade it in somewhere and pay the diff to get a new slim console.

[quote name='jthiel']Whats the trade in price of a BC 60gb ps3?[/QUOTE]

from whats listed in the thread in the deals forum $80 if it doesnt work $150 if it does. a month or so ago they were giving $200 for all ps3 consoles traded in so if you get it fixed and wait a while a good deal could come up.

[quote name='lokizz']from whats listed in the thread in the deals forum $80 if it doesnt work $150 if it does. a month or so ago they were giving $200 for all ps3 consoles traded in so if you get it fixed and wait a while a good deal could come up.[/QUOTE]

im assuming getting it fixed by sony?

ehh...i will just return it to Sony...and get the 120gb refurb back...then probably trade that in for a newer one since the trade in on the 120 is 10 dollars more than the 60 and the 60 gb fix is more than the cost of the refurbed 120 so in the end...i will be probably spending a little more for the 60gb to return and get a new one.

bread's done
Back