Kenshin S1 Economy Box $29.99 BestBuy Pre-Order

Anyone know if they will come out with the Kyoto Arc box at this price, because I would jump on that in a second.

Wow, that is ridiculously cheap. That has to be a pricing error. The MSRP is $79.95. For those of you that get in on it, I hope BB honors it.

Wow, that's crazy cheap. Only thing is, I can't stand the way they did the subs. Kenshin sounds so odd... :whistle2:(

BTW, has BB ever honored a price mistake?

[quote name='jshendel']Why is it called an "economy box"?[/QUOTE]

Because it'll probably come in a plastic case instead of the true box the first release came in. Like the two different sets fior Berserk. There's the box set and the case set.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Wow, that's crazy cheap. Only thing is, I can't stand the way they did the subs. Kenshin sounds so odd... :whistle2:(

BTW, has BB ever honored a price mistake?[/QUOTE]

i assume you mean the dubbing, in which i completely agree sounds odd, or even awful...personally i rather watch the series in japanese and read the subtitles, even if it requires a bit more effort...

[quote name='bboynujen']i assume you mean the dubbing, in which i completely agree sounds odd, or even awful...personally i rather watch the series in japanese and read the subtitles, even if it requires a bit more effort...[/QUOTE]

The subtitles are awkward too. For Kenshin's dialog, they always tacks on "that it is" at the end of every sentence. That's how they decided to translate his "de gozaru". It's just as annoying in subtitles as it is in english dubbing.

[quote name='rodeojones903']By economy box, they probably mean a slip pack like the new releases of Full Metal Panic, Noir, and etc.[/QUOTE]

Actually ADV does that, Bandai been doing a little too lately. I think this is a Media Blasters release though and if it's anything like their latest ecomony releases (Berserk, Magic Kinght Rayearth) the 6 discs will actually come in a plastic m-lock type case.

Also what's with this sold out business? How do you sell out of a preorder? I just hope they have it as this price when it hits shelves but I highly doubt that. It'll likely be at a price closer to that of Berserk (like $50 give or take).

Not exactly dubtitles, but MB's translator just decided it was important to "translate" de gozaru to differentiate normal kenshin and hitokiri kenshin. IMO, it's just annoying, though.

[quote name='rokkon']Not exactly dubtitles, but MB's translator just decided it was important to "translate" de gozaru to differentiate normal kenshin and hitokiri kenshin. IMO, it's just annoying, though.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. "de gozaru" is supposed to be a polite form. Since when did "that it is" become polite? Sounds ridiculous to me. Or like Yoda - and only Yoda can talk like ... Yoda.

[quote name='pete5883']I think the point is that 'de gozaru' is an unnecessary addition to the sentence, much like 'that it is.'[/QUOTE]

Right, but the contextual meaning of the unecessary is different in English than in Japanese, so it just doesn't really do what's intended. I guess we could go on debating this, but there's really not much point.

The real point is whether BB will honor the price on their website for this pre-order, or if we file it under the "too good to be true" section.

[quote name='InuFaye']best buy just changed the price to 65.99[/QUOTE]

Well, shit. I was hoping it was really 30 bucks because the Rayearth economy box sets were $30-40, too.

I hope this isn't a trend. Best Buy is awesome for selling anime at ridiculously discounted prices. The two X box sets were 40 bucks each with MSRP of 80, the Kurumi box set was some 20 bucks cheaper than MSRP, and the Gundam 08th MS Team was all kinds of cheap. But now I'm seeing this Kenshin box go up and I see the upcoming Cardcaptor Sakura set preorder at MSRP on the website and I'm getting worried. Over the past year, Best Buy was the only reason I bought anime. It would suck if they increased their prices.

Actually, the only good prices on anime I've seen from best Buy recently have been price mistakes or price drops. They had a decent sale, 20% off all anime, a while back, but other than that, their anime prices have consistently gone up [based on what I've seen].
I bought Excel Saga 1 from Suncoast [!] not too long after release as a blind buy for 17.99, vol 2, from BB for 19.99, and now BB wants 24.99 for each single disk. The Imperfect Collection they now want 67.99 for, I bought it for 57.99 [tag] - 20% during that sale.
Good prices on anime and Best Buy, are two phrases that don't go together very well anymore, unless they're combined with 'price mistake' or 'clearance' [like the ADV thing, I got Farscape S1 for 25.]

Hmm.. I picked up that Excel Saga Box for $20 from FYE.

;)

I've reached the point where I only buy Anime if it's...

A) 50% off or less
B) I've already completed 60% or more of a series for 50% off or less. And just need the rest to be complete.
or C) It has a cool LE. Like the Inuyasha Movie 3 with CD.

BestBuy used to generously give 30% off, standard on all anime DVD's. But then there was the BestBuy being distro for ADV titles, so all other DVD's went up in price. Bandai and Geneon DVD's spiked up from 20.99 to 24.99. Now the market is flooded to the point where a company competes with itself, so much that the first volume is typically cheapest, and subsequent volumes have a smaller discount. This is just marketing though, because they're hoping that they've roped you in to where you'll pay the few extra dollars to finish out the series.

The same thing applies to boxsets and bargain boxsets. ADV realized that people weren't buying individuals (where they recoup costs immediately), because they were waiting for bargain boxes (where they're trying to milk more money out of fans who didn't want to spend more money overall). So now they've decided that complete boxsets will be barebones (episodes only, no extras).

If you're not willing to spend full asking price, then your best bet is to wait it out long enough till they're trying to milk out the last bit of money that they can get out of a series (things like Essential Anime lines, Geneon Signature Series, etc), or wait for online sales. Those are really your best bets. Places like BestBuy will rarely have blowout sales that'll be cheaper than what you can get from the internet.

bread's done
Back