Keyboard

yester

CAGiversary!
Last time i was in a store and there was a Brother typewriter. I played a little with it and i loved the keyboard.
I wonder if there is a keyboard like this for a pc. The closest i have seen is a keyboard from a company called Das Keyboard. Don't mind the price if its good.
I am just tired of my rubber keyboard.

Have you tried searching ebay for old ibm model m keyboards? I have one from the early 90's and it works great for me. I think i got mine for around $40 a year or two back.

The keyboards you are referring to are known as mechanical keyboards.

There are a bunch of mechanical keyboards on the market. Steelseries and Razer make some of the better-known ones. Ducky and Filco are other good brands among the mechanical keyboard enthusiasts.

The Razer Blackwidow is probably the most commonly known one. I think Corsair just came out with a mechanical keyboard as well.

Das Keyboard Model S

SteelSeries 6Gv2

Razer BlackWidow

Ducky DK9000

Filco Majestouch

Can;t go wrong with either one, I own the 6Gv2 and have also played on a Blackwidow.

Definitely try and find an IBM model M. The buckling springs mechanism is freaking amazing! I still have one from a PS/1 my grandad had, but I don't use it because of the noise it makes when typing.

aha... ibm m. Ok. Have to look into that.
Actually Cherry keyboard came to my mind as well. They used to be very good, but they are now hard to find.
Are they still good? I think i was looking into the G80-3000 (i think that was the model).

But i will look into the ibm keyboard as well.

Can you buy them used (or was the Ibm new?)?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']If your looking for the authentic IBM keyboard but with a USB plug instead of PS/2, Unicomp still has a website that sells those keyboards.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/

Or if you want something with a bit more style, try WASD keyboards. You can customize the keys on the keyboard with different colors and stuff.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/[/QUOTE]

I can't tell the difference between the keyboard. Meaning the mechanics of these two manufactures.

Unicomp has a lot of models and little info to the keyboards. I assume they are all based on the same design.
Since they are all mechanical (just an assumption) which one is quieter then the other?

I have a Rosewill (Newegg) Cherry Red MX keyboard and it's been solid for me these last couple of months. Though I think your preference would lean towards the Blue or Brown keys. The feel of Reds are linear, meaning it bottoms out on the switch and there's no click to tell you that the key was engaged. But so far, the build quality on this Rosewill is great. Supposedly they're built in the same factory as Filcos.

The keyboard has either usb or ps/2. When picking between the two, always pick ps/2 for n-key rollover.

If you want something up there in quality but want to save some money, I would definitely recommend Rosewill. THough at this moment, there doesn't seem to be any decent sale on them.

Once you get a mechanical keyboard, you're pretty much set for life.

[quote name='yester']I can't tell the difference between the keyboard. Meaning the mechanics of these two manufactures.

Unicomp has a lot of models and little info to the keyboards. I assume they are all based on the same design.
Since they are all mechanical (just an assumption) which one is quieter then the other?[/QUOTE]
Check out the link to the overclock.net forums I posted earlier. It will explain the different types of mechanical switches and their features, so you can decide what type you want.

Not sure why i missed the link but yes i have checked it. It is a very nice and comprehensive guide.
Great read.

I think i tend to the unicomp keyboard. Looks nice and it has the features i am looking for and its not so expensive.
Anyone using it?

Actually, i was reading a little more.
There are some interesting key mechanics like the white alps (almost non existent) and the cherry clear switch.

Sadly, these keyboard are out of my budget. But i found one by tigerdirect which is a ducky (like from overclock) that has green alps and runs for $60.
Can't find in the guide anything about green alps, perhaps its new. Not sure.
But that seems to be a nice option on budget.

I really like my Razer Blackwidow. The keys just feel great. I picked it up for around $70. I haven't really used a "gaming" keyboard before it, but now I can't go back to traditional for games.

might be going ageist the point but do they make any decent wireless mechanical keyboards? =p

i play off my tv so i dont want to have to use a 20 foot usb extendor hehe.

bread's done
Back